boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Sounds like a persistence reset (which I only recently found out was a thing admins can do)

But the admins claim they didn't reset it; and trucks are where they were before.  I don't know about tents (as mine were in a barrel), but have checked with a few friends who play on that sever, and their barrels are gone as well.

I know the admins have sent a message to Eugen about it.

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 1

This was one of the most informative DayZ development videos and I hope most people here watch it.

It helps draw into scope many of the unforeseen problems that this project has encountered and talks about the measures used to solve them.

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-devgamm-2015-dayz-with-chris-torchia-surviving-success/

Tatanko / OrganGrinder / Biohaze

Right!

Seems many players on the forum regularly knock BI for not communicating, not saying what's happening, even for "hiding the truth", for being a big lazy company.. for all kinds of reasons along the lines of "why don't you tell us? what's wrong with you?" " the DayZ Dev team has real problems with transparency and communication" ... etc..

But seriously - this Chris Torchia video is impressive and straight - I see a sane honest person who stands up and explains straightforwardly what happened, how it happened, stage by stage , the problems, how they worked stuff out. He tells it like it is, truly as he sees it, out in public, and you can tell he is talking straight. Other considerations apart, to do this takes time.

I personally have never seen such an honest and direct and realistic, zero-bulshit, presentation from any games company, where someone inside the company talks about the game while they are actually working on it. This is very impressive IMO. The only problem is you have to listen for more than 40 minutes - this is a real problem for plenty of gamers, I think. They want soundbites. Even the President and the Prime Minister do soundbites.

The beef with Bohemia is - there is no public relations bullshit that you get from every other company - If I'm wrong, and other companies talk so honestly, then point me to them, I'd like to listen.I'd be genuinely pleased to have greater respect for more games companies.

For DayZ gamers who want popular easy-listening communication from BI, here's a standard communication I stuck together from one or two games info releases.

Note - BI is not one of these companies,

- but for the players who WANT it - here's something to make you happy (see how I'm good at it, maybe BI could hire me?):

... "we're keeping some secrets that will make you DROOL, because WOW, the team is pouring out great stuff, YES I'll say straight we've put some dates back because RIGHT NOW weve got such AMAZING CONTENT we need it to be absolutely  perfect and it's so much MORE in this PIPELINE than even WE thought it could ever be..it wont be RIGHT NOW .. moving along VISIBLY.;  before next year NOW because we double-tripled  the effort, it's going so FAST because it's so BIG.. when you see what we've done ..  We had to do this WE OWE the FANS it's totally exciting, we shifted the 0.XX release because we've MEGA-QUADRUPLED the contents .. wow the gameplay has EXPLODED.; really..we're added such HEAPS of COOL stuff, hey! Watch this 17 second in-game video mockup SEE THE GRAPHICS!, the team is going wild about this, we're keeping some back, ID LOVE to tell ya.. we dont want to give out spoilers but you WILL BE totally stunned, it's so brilliant better than we ever expected even ourselves we're just knocked out...

I am impressed that BI do not do this crap. I am impressed that BI talk straight.

I am saddened that if they did more PR bullshit their sales would go up.

xx pilgrim

• Like 9

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-devgamm-2015-dayz-with-chris-torchia-surviving-success/

Right!

Seems many players on the forum regularly knock BI for not communicating, not saying what's happening, even for "hiding the truth", for being a big lazy company.. for all kinds of reasons along the lines of "why don't you tell us? what's wrong with you?" " the DayZ Dev team has real problems with transparency and communication" ... etc..

But seriously - this Chris Torchia video is impressive and straight - I see a sane honest person who stands up and explains straightforwardly what happened, how it happened, stage by stage , the problems, how they worked stuff out. He tells it like it is, truly as he sees it, out in public, and you can tell he is talking straight. Other considerations apart, to do this takes time.

I personally have never seen such an honest and direct and realistic, zero-bulshit, presentation from any games company, where someone inside the company talks about the game while they are actually working on it. This is very impressive IMO. The only problem is you have to listen for more than 40 minutes - this is a real problem for plenty of gamers, I think. They want soundbites. Even the President and the Prime Minister do soundbites.

The beef with Bohemia is - there is no public relations bullshit that you get from every other company - If I'm wrong, and other companies talk so honestly, then point me to them, I'd like to listen.I'd be genuinely pleased to have greater respect for more games companies.

For DayZ gamers who want popular easy-listening communication from BI, here's a standard communication I stuck together from one or two games info releases.

- but for the players who WANT it - here's something to make you happy (see how I'm good at it, maybe BI could hire me?):

... "we're keeping some secrets that will make you DROOL, because WOW, the team is pouring out great stuff, YES I'll say straight we've put some dates back because RIGHT NOW weve got such AMAZING CONTENT we need it to be absolutely  perfect and it's so much MORE in this PIPELINE than even WE thought it could ever be..it wont be RIGHT NOW .. moving along VISIBLY.;  before next year NOW because we double-tripled  the effort, it's going so FAST because it's so BIG.. when you see what we've done ..  We had to do this WE OWE the FANS it's totally exciting, we shifted the 0.XX release because we've MEGA-QUADRUPLED the contents .. wow the gameplay has EXPLODED.; really..we're added such HEAPS of COOL stuff, hey! Watch this 17 second in-game video mockup SEE THE GRAPHICS!, the team is going wild about this, we're keeping some back, ID LOVE to tell ya.. we dont want to give out spoilers but you WILL BE totally stunned, it's so brilliant better than we ever expected even ourselves we're just knocked out...

I am impressed that BI do not do this crap. I am impressed that BI talk straight.

xx pilgrim

i agree with that, but there is still one thing that is bugging me : why do they keep on giving overly optimistic ETA on beta ?

DayZ is currently severly bashed on steam revieww by a large number of players being dishonest/unaware/ignorant on what's going on in the development. that's a thing, but i don't like hearing hicks telling us that beta is going to be delayed by one or two month a most, meaning early march 2016. to keep this agenda, they need to add in the next 4 month :

- new renderer

- new player controler

- new sound module

- new inventory

- plenty of new animations

- advanced melee

- precise object placement

- cost effective zombie AI

- dangerous animals

- dangerous animal AI

- advanced crafting

- new chambering fonction

- basic shelter construction

- advanced base building

- contaminated area

- all diseases and working cures

- tisy mil area

- decently working aircraft

- motor bike

- motor bike animation

- companions (dog at least, horse maybe)

- companions AI

- player stats

- players aging/scars

to me, that's 4 month + A YEAR at least before reaching beta with bug fixing, polishing and optimisation.

a 4 years development time is ok for a game that big with all know difficulty explained by C. Torchia (problems and solutions probably extended to all part of the development team). but please don't tell us it's going to be done by march, every single person following closely this website know it's not possible.

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 1

They are creating/created a whole new engine for the DayZ Standalone because the engine of Arma 2 had it's flaws and restrictions. They are slowly going to replace the old modules with new ones, until everything is replaced.

During this period we might see a lot of bugs but most will be already removed before it hits experimental.

Creating "a whole new engine" can mean a lot of things so I'm not going to pretend to understand its scope or impact.  If it means totally replacing the Arma2 code good for them. 

• Like 1

i agree with that, but there is still one thing that is bugging me : why do they keep on giving overly optimistic ETA on beta ?

DayZ is currently severly bashed on steam revieww by a large number of players being dishonest/unaware/ignorant on what's going on in the development. that's a thing, but i don't like hearing hicks telling us that beta is going to be delayed by one or two month a most, meaning early march 2016. to keep this agenda, they need to add in the next 4 month :

- new renderer

- new player controler

- new sound module

- new inventory

- plenty of new animations

- advanced melee

- precise object placement

- cost effective zombie AI

- dangerous animals

- dangerous animal AI

- advanced crafting

- new chambering fonction

- basic shelter construction

- advanced base building

- contaminated area

- all diseases and working cures

- tisy mil area

- decently working aircraft

- motor bike

- motor bike animation

- companions (dog at least, horse maybe)

- companions AI

- player stats

- players aging/scars

to me, that's 4 month + A YEAR at least before reaching beta with bug fixing, polishing and optimisation.

a 4 years development time is ok for a game that big with all know difficulty explained by C. Torchia (problems and solutions probably extended to all part of the development team). but please don't tell us it's going to be done by march, every single person following closely this website know it's not possible.

We have absolutely no idea how long development will take, because work on the game does not progress in a linear fashion. Several of the assets that you mentioned, could already be complete, but they can not be merged onto the game, until certain prerequisite engine modules are replaced. For instance, we already know that they have produced limping animations, but they won't be introduced, until the new character controller is in place. Without the character controller, we have no animations. Without the animations, we can not have more varied and interesting character injury/damage models. Without the new injury models, there is no point in introducing advanced medical treatments. Does that mean that the code for advanced medical countermeasures does not already exist? No, not at all.

Don't forget that just because a feature has not yet been introduced into experimental, that doesn't mean that the devs aren't already testing it in the internal builds. The new renderer, for instance, has been in the internal build since May. We don't get to see all of the code evolve before out eyes, we only get to see code that is relatively well behaved and which needs to be stress tested, to ensure that there are no unforeseen bugs.

Does this mean that I think we'll see the game enter beta at the end of 2015? No, but if the renderer, character controller and the audio module, to name but a few, were all merged into 0.59, that would surely alter my perception of how soon we may ultimately see beta.

• Like 6

Right!

xx pilgrim

I think that you make many good points. I would submit that Eugen's recent talk on how they deal with hackers, was also very enlightening. Many players have and still howl about how the devs are both incompetent and impotent, because they are not addressing the hacking situation. Once the devs' strategies are understood, it is clear that they have been very proactive. Also impressive is their effort to surreptitiously purchase hacks, so that they can be dissected. They aren't just hiding behind Battleye, either, it's clear that they are engaged and they are determined to prevail in this ongoing arms race. 

Sometimes there are misunderstandings, because the devs do not have a "professional" PR person on staff. But, if they did have such a person, do you really think that we would get these detailed explanations from Chris and Eugen, or would we merely get a bunch of sunshine, puppies and lollipops from some Madison Avenue stuffed shirt? Do you think that the tweets would continue, or would they all be funneled through someone who doesn't know squat about the issues at hand. Be careful what you wish for. Personally, I like getting the unvarnished information, straight from the source. The important bits of information eventually leak out.

Patience is a virtue.

• Like 5

I would submit that Eugen's recent talk on how they deal with hackers, was also very enlightening. Many players have and still howl about how the devs are both incompetent and impotent, because they are not addressing the hacking situation. Once the devs' strategies are understood, it is clear that they have been very proactive. Also impressive is their effort to surreptitiously purchase hacks, so that they can be dissected. They aren't just hiding behind Battleye, either, it's clear that they are engaged and they are determined to prevail in this ongoing arms race.

In addition to your points here, I will say this: they also act on tips more than you might think. There are many vigilant players in the community willing to point out when someone is operating outside normal game boundaries, and although they don't have time to respond to everything, they do look into it. No one should let a lack of direct response discourage them from reporting wrongdoing, and the same goes for reporting bugs.

• Like 3

In addition to your points here, I will say this: they also act on tips more than you might think. There are many vigilant players in the community willing to point out when someone is operating outside normal game boundaries, and although they don't have time to respond to everything, they do look into it. No one should let a lack of direct response discourage them from reporting wrongdoing, and the same goes for reporting bugs.

Yes, the devs clearly have access to some VERY detailed logs.

We would all like to see some immediate gratification / frontier justice when we see an inappropriate "event" in game, but that's not how it works. Eugen's vid explains how their strategy allows them to catch more bad guys than they otherwise would, by applying piecemeal bans.

• Like 1

So are things still disappearing when you throw them?

No hope for today aswell. Maybe we have to wait till next week

Why do you say no hope for today?

No Testservers up right now... 

Ah, ok.

I will still hope for something by 3.

Hopefully we will get a status report with a few details regarding the delays.

Ah, ok.

I will still hope for something by 3.

Hopefully we will get a status report with a few details regarding the delays.

Its already past 5 in CZ

I realy hope they can fix the problems soon.

Another weekend without experimental thats bad, stupid Hardware failure. :(

So, I basically spend all my time trying to find the best places to hide barrels/camps. But, since most people are geared to the gills, you have to load your barrels with really premium loot to know for sure whether they've been found.  So, this morning, I'm looting Myshinko tents, when I hear someone calling to me.  Well, I'm busted, he saw me first.  So, I just head out in the open.  It's a team of 4.  They're friendly.  I find out that they know everyone else on the server except for fing and I.

Even though I wasn't looking for any PvP, all the tension went out of the server after that.  If everyone on the server is a buddy, why no just run around like a spaz?  Which is what I did for the next half hour - got wicked geared - enough to fill a barrel or 2!  

Then someone murders me.  Now balance is restored.  Yeah, a bit off topic, but for anyone who is upset at those with the KoS mentality, that danger is one of the best things about this game.  

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 3

So, I basically spend all my time trying to find the best places to hide barrels/camps. But, since most people are geared to the gills, you have to load your barrels with really premium loot to know for sure whether they've been found.  So, this morning, I'm looting Myshinko tents, when I hear someone calling to me.  Well, I'm busted, he saw me first.  So, I just head out in the open.  It's a team of 4.  They're friendly.  I find out that they know everyone else on the server except for fing and I.

Even though I wasn't looking for any PvP, all the tension went out of the server after that.  If everyone on the server is a buddy, why no just run around like a spaz?  Which is what I did for the next half hour - got wicked geared - enough to fill a barrel or 2!  

Then someone murders me.  Now balance is restored.  Yeah, a bit off topic, but for anyone who is upset at those with the KoS mentality, that danger is one of the best things about this game.  

At least it's actually something that happened in .58 lol. Most of the recent posts in this thread have been about .59 and future developments.

Edited by freethink

this thread has basically become all about .59

At least it's actually something that happened in .58 lol. Most of the recent posts in this thread have been about .59 and future developments.

.58 is wrung dry and these threads usually devolve into forum regular banter once that happens.

Considering the unusual length of time for the next experimental, it would only make sense that would be the major topic.

I would be surprised if we didn't get a status report today but considering the trend of this weeks events I would say it's definitely a possibility.

this thread has basically become all about .59

Well, if it's .58 you want, the biggest game breaker now is the dysfunction of the CLE (or maybe even just the ability to farm the Quonsets).  Everyone I met this morning had an M4.  I was rocking only my Mosin with PU.  :D  After I died, I had a hicap, AK101, gorka, etc. In about 1 hour.  Couldn't find a backpack to save my life though.

Did the hardware failure actually revert elements of the build to an earlier time or did it just prevent them from going further? Because if it just prevented them from developing further then experimental should have been delayed a day or two (can't remember the exact day of the hardware failure), otherwise they wouldn't have gotten it out last week or this week regardless of the failure. But alpha, so whatevs. 

Well, if it's .58 you want, the biggest game breaker now is the dysfunction of the CLE (or maybe even just the ability to farm the Quonsets).  Everyone I met this morning had an M4.  I was rocking only my Mosin with PU.   :D  After I died, I had a hicap, AK101, gorka, etc. In about 1 hour.  Couldn't find a backpack to save my life though.

CLE works almost flawlessly (especially considering its such an early implementation) and the quonsets are proof of that. Its the lack of functional timers that allows one to cycle them. M4s supposedly are on a 12h timer, that is not the truth. Since they cant figure it out, the loot will be moved back to helicopters.

Which is how its supposed to be anyway.

Edited by jayfkay