boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

I don't see a problem with the pace of development; rather, the last few patches, with the tweaking of the CLE and the lack of zombies, have really killed long-term playability, IMO.  I need a reason to care if my guy lives.  I need a reason to go into a town.  I need a reason to hunt or farm.  Right now, you can just run around helicrash routes, with the occasional detour to tent cities or small towns with lots of sheds, and be better geared than was often possible in earlier patches.  I can't remember using a bandage in .58.  We really need Zs back, soon! 

Heck, I can't even really find folks to PvP half the time.  I guess they're all running through the woods looking for camps - I don't know - but, the last few patches have altered player approach/style in a way that seem very negative to me.

I'm sure they can work it out, but I hope they do it before too much of the base gets bored and leaves.

Personally had a lot of fun this patch, I literally spent 90% of the time just gathering stuff for my camp and finding new camp spots.

So.. who really cares if a lot of players get bored? Nothing in Alpha is permanent. The game will improve and automatically people will return.

I keep thinking of the possibilites ahead and just cant wait to see them live.

Only thing I am skeptical about is base building really. Its not easy to balance at all. The fine line between making basebuilding worthwhile and making it OP shalt not be' crosseth.

Anyway, I think we have a bright future ahead of us.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 2

Just curious, has anyone run into a lonely zombie? I ran into one last night. Is this something common?

Just curious, has anyone run into a lonely zombie? I ran into one last night. Is this something common?

$100 bet I can mention where the zombie was found ..

• Like 1

$100 bet I can mention where the zombie was found ..

Ooh I want to know. I am not that familiar with the town names.

The goal of this game is survival. There are various elements that challenge your ability to survive, such as exposure to the elements, hunger, thirst, disease, the infected (sometimes more, sometimes less) and, of course, other players. As game development progresses, additional challenges will be added and depth will be added to those existing challenges.

When the game releases, the goal will be survival. There will be various elements that challenge your ability to survive, such as exposure to the elements, hunger, thirst, disease, the infected (hopefully more) and, of course, other players. Once you master those challenges and reach a comfort zone (a modest base with a cache of food, tools and other equipment), your "reasons" to go to a town, interact with other players, or care about your character will be no different than they are today and they will only be limited by your own imagination ... survival.

Then (release), as now, there will be no points to accumulate, no flag to capture and no grail to find. Those of us who have an underdeveloped imagination, will be no happier with the game at release, than they are today, because this game is about the journey, not the destination. 

Edited by BleedoutBill
  • Like 9

Then (release), as now, there will be no points to accumulate, no flag to capture and no grail to find. Those of us who have an underdeveloped imagination, will be no happier with the game at release, than they are today, because this game is about the journey, not the destination. 

Well said, Bill!

• Like 3

but how much you want to store anyway (especially for me as a lone-wolf)

Bite your tongue!!  Off the top of my head, I have:

3 trucks

8 batteries

7 plugs

18 barrels

2 tents

2 Hunters

2 SPOSNS

Smersh Combo

2 Plate Combos

5 HiCaps

5 Boots+knives (+ 3 extra knives)

M4 + 10 or more mags of 30+ and an ACOG

3 AUGs

AKM + 3 30rd mags and a Kashtan

AK101 + 2 30rd mags

AK74 + 6 30rd mags

3 Blaze + 2 snap loaders and 100+ loose rounds

Winchester

5 or 6 hunting scopes

SKS + 2 clips and 40+ loose rounds and PU

3 UMPs + 8 clips and 100+ loose rounds all with RDS or M68

MP5 + 3 30rd mags and RDS

AKS 74U

2 FNX + 6 mags with silencers, flashlights and MRD

2 CR75 + 8 mags

1911 + 2 mags

5 pistol silencers

2 nato silencers

2 east silencers

barrels worth of canned goods and med supplies

barrels worth of tools/farming supplies

barrels worth of gorka tops and M65s

Everything worn or better - no hoboing here!!

It's not the having, it's the getting!  I ran around this morning and found 2 new barrels hidden in the woods.  Gonna go back and get them if I have time this weekend.  It's not really enjoyable anymore, I agree.  I just feel compelled to hoard.   :D

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 3

still no 59.... haha man.....wow..  just wow.... how fucking long will it take. Maybe we will get a new hat when its released.

You'll get more than that. Plenty of info in the status reports.

• Like 4

You'll get more than that. Plenty of info in the status reports.

I'm taking your presence here as a positive sign that an experimental update is about to drop.

:lol:

:P

Prease?

I'm taking your presence here as a positive sign that an experimental update is about to drop.

:P

Prease?

maybe tomorrow, #SATANICLAUGH

Edited by VahidkinG

Is cooking still bugged?  Did a rare spot of fishing the other day, caught myself a pristine pair of wellies and a carp.  Tried to cook the carp using the 'fillet on a stick' method.  The model in game changed from raw to cooked to burnt but the description still said raw!  Din't bother eating it, seeing as I was already sick from drinking out my canteen.  Can drink from ponds and pumps with no problem, soon as I drink from a canteen, my wounds get itchy.  Every time.  Either the canteen is bugged, my character is bugged, or I'm just unlucky...

Always a hardware failure ... Always always always ... Are these guys frequently spilling bong water on their server hardware ?

• Like 2

"Where the fuck are my attachments?"

Wr1G7vf.png

#hardwarefailuretookthem #needtosmokeforthis

d'oh

This is the music that played in my head:

• Like 3

Hey, it's OKAY.  I've seen them release unplayable builds that caused entire weekends wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Next week is FINE for .59.  My Alien 17 awaits, will my first experimental build with my new machine, looking forward to some good fun!

• Like 6

1428699245750.jpg

No experimental update this week.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 4

where is everyone? :( 50/50 uk serv, 0 folks at the nwaf.

a couple of different 50/50 servs and 1-2 low pops, yet 0 folks in myshkino.. are people back to the coast again, seriously?

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 1

where is everyone? :( 50/50 uk serv, 0 folks at the nwaf.

a couple of different 50/50 servs and 1-2 low pops, yet 0 folks in myshkino.. are people back to the coast again, seriously?

You have a higher chance finding people at military areas on low pop servers. In full servers people don't go usually to there because of being afraid of getting shot. If I want decent gear I always go to military areas on high pop servers.

Okay, I agree with the person who said it is either or with the mods or the standalone. The thing about the standalone is, it just feels right when it comes to atmosphere. It's not this: gather guns, sell them, build a ridiculous base, buy a black hawk and shoot everyone mechanic the mods developed. However, there are some parts I really like about the mod (I'm playing Epoch, Overwatch and Origins combined on the expanded Taviana map). For example - you can buy a chainsaw, but you have to scavenge for 2-stroke oil to mix it with gasoline to use the chainsaw. You have to find a sledgehammer head and a handle and combine them. Then you get a sledgehammer to work metal (floors, etc). You need a generator and construct a light pole from light bulb, wood and metal pipes.

You can gain XP and learn to give yourselve blood transfusions or to expand the radius of your base. You can respawn in your bed, instead of a random place. You see how many days you survived and you have a feeling of building a character. There is a military base that deserves the name (32 barracks), and there is a big city (Sabina) that looks like an Eastern European city from the 80's. It just has a bit of flair that I can't dismiss. Bandit players are indicated red, but you have to get close enough to check out what color somebody is. Survivors are neutral white and heroes are colored blue. It gives a real incentive not to shoot everyone, if you want to play the hero way and use the hero vendor. It also helps band together, as I am currently rolling with three more people, which I've all met during scavenging or just around the AI vendors. There is a lot to say against AI vendors, but they are a real meeting place and I like to know there are some safe zones. Most vendors however, don't have a safezone, so you go and sell/buy stuff at some risk there.

The standalone feels better in a lot of ways to me, but there are aspects of the mods that, if developed or even just known to the developers could have helped to make a better game. And these are mechanics that should have been at least tried by now, because the purpose of an Alpha is not only to introduce content, but also to introduce new mechanics to Dayz. If I even look at the base concepts for the standalone, there is so much wrong with them. Nobody would build an unsafe base like the ones shown on the concept art. One entrance, single door/gate - just ask to get raided. That is the thing about the mods - people know how to play Dayz. They can cope with dozens of zombies while in a firefight with players and still survive. Mod players can afford to be generous, because it is fun clashing with another player and turning out to be friends with him in the end. There is no bad blood (only some griefing), there is a general attitude of being nice to each other, even though you know you will probably be shooting at the people you just had a laugh with over the chat. The AI missions help losening up the picture and it is awesome to actually see a heli fly and crash near you, instead of visiting the same random spawns over and over. 

There is something the devs didn't incorporate well into the game yet  and that is flow. Despite the amount of repetition of the mods, you can get into tune with how you want to play and with whom. It's facilitated by allowing a side chat and having a radio with group channels. I don't like the position markers in groups, but people are using the group system in the mods. And it is nice to be able to drop a marker, so you can meet. I know this is very "game" stuff, but to establish Dayz SA as the antigame is a joke when you are going for singleplayer and console releases. The thing I have to criticise at this point about this development is the lack of actual ingame communication, which is not helped by everyone using Skype or TS. We need an ingame channel, among many other things, direct is not enough or its radius is too limited, at least. 

I'm wondering how they believe the game will make it's beta release in time when there is so much missing. How will the soft skill system work when even cooking takes half a year to be worked on and still isn't working? That's what annoys me about the game - there is no concept to how it will play. There is a sturdy pace of throwing out new ideas that don't innovate anything as far as game design is concerned. Dayz was the oportunity to actually come up with innovative solutions to problems the mods cannot take on. Instead we have systems that feel like they are developed completely unrelated to each other. There is a huge focus on weapons, yet we only have a few different rifles, most of them AK variants. Nothing in the standalone is developed whole heartedly, everything seems to be trial and error and void of any overall concept. That's not how you design the anti-game. To design the antigame you have to be smarter, think sideways and approach new solutions instead of adding stuff at seemingly random. Playing the mods again reminded me that there is a community that's still enthusiastic about the game and the environment. There is so much to do that you actually want and need to group with more experienced people or people who do different things than yourself to learn from them. That is the kind of thing I need from Dayz SA - give me some challenge. And I don't meant getting sick after five minutes of rain. I mean, give me ways to figure out how to do something and learn gradually about the possibilities I have. The standalone is simply a much too easy game at this time and nothing I've seen hints at it getting better at being difficult. Yes, we will get soft skills, but they should be part of the Alpha too and not of the Beta. I doubt we will get something more interesting (and challenging) than finding a book, clicking on it and going "Eureka, now I can make explosives from coal, birdshit and matches!". Where is this game better than the mods, except in its atmosphere? I am still waiting on the anti-game mechanics that so far just seem to copy the better parts of the mods without giving the same fun or supplying ample reason not to do something alone. Days SA is a game where I run around for hours doing nothing. Days mods are a game I can't stop playing, because there always still is something else to do.

Sorry about me ranting again, but this game makes me mad sometimes. I feel that visually we are getting the game we deserve, but from a game development standpoint this is a work of generic ideas and copying of features from the mods. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 5

Anyone else think it's way too easy to aim without looking down the sights since the new reticule?

• Like 3

Anyone else think it's way too easy to aim without looking down the sights since the new reticule?

it was no less easier with the dot before.

• Like 2