boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

In case anyone cares, the scary pre-Hypothermia Parkinson that I had, managed to get rid of it. After ~10 firewood, continuous hours of running and wearing a down jacket during the last 30 minutes, I stopped shaking.

One helluva bug.

I am starting to struggle a bit as well. It's constantly raining and at first I was promptly cooling off and eventually cold. After a fire I was dry and neutral again. Then after more rain I suddenly started to cool off rapidly instead of promptly.

Sitting next to a fire again to get warm again. I should find myself a suitable raincoat. :lol:

I am starting to struggle a bit as well. It's constantly raining and at first I was promptly cooling off and eventually cold. After a fire I was dry and neutral again. Then after more rain I suddenly started to cool off rapidly instead of promptly.

Sitting next to a fire again to get warm again. I should find myself a suitable raincoat. :lol:

Are you guys on servers with day/night cycle? I'm on a 24/7 day server and I never get cold, even when it rains. Although I usually have on a Gorka or raincoat if it's raining. Kind of miss nighttime, mostly for enjoying a nice campfire. Still light fires during the day, but it's not quite the same. Might jump on a day/night server next wipe.

Speaking of fires, molotov cocktails would be nice. Only need to add glass bottles, and the mechanics/animation of course. Game already has gasoline, rags and matches. If they add molotov cocktails I'm gonna burn some shit down. Starting with those #@!% apartment buildings.  :lol:

• Like 1

Are you guys on servers with day/night cycle? I'm on a 24/7 day server and I never get cold, even when it rains. Although I usually have on a Gorka or raincoat if it's raining. Kind of miss nighttime, mostly for enjoying a nice campfire. Still light fires during the day, but it's not quite the same. Might jump on a day/night server next wipe.

Speaking of fires, molotov cocktails would be nice. Only need to add glass bottles, and the mechanics/animation of course. Game already has gasoline, rags and matches. If they add molotov cocktails I'm gonna burn some shit down. Starting with those #@!% apartment buildings.  :lol:

Getting wet isnt a problem per sey - the problem is if you are drenched and rest too much. You will eventually start shaking without a warning and its like flu, really hard to get rid off and to gain temperature back. You will just warm up really really slowly. And if you neglect it, you will die via Hypothermia within 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

I just posted in the weapons thread but I know people here would appreciate....

The PM-73 RAK is collapsible.

ONnIajG.jpg

We should be able to store it like this for less inventory slots.

Using it in this configuration would add heavy sway and climb as it's without grip or buttstock.

• Like 1

I just posted in the weapons thread but I know people here would appreciate....

The PM-73 RAK is collapsible.

ONnIajG.jpg

We should be able to store it like this for less inventory slots.

Using it in this configuration would add heavy sway and climb as it's without grip or buttstock.

Where is that weapons thread, sounds like my kind of place. 

NM found it under Art!  :beans:

Edited by Taco Tuesday

Has anyone seen the preview of the FN-Fal that's WIP? It looks awesome and is my favorite carbine , I really hope it comes soon .... :) played a bit of stable today and did t get wet at all , I'm choosing all dry servers it seems , but I did complete my cop outfit again and found a nice cr75 clip for my gun along with an extra battery for my walkie talkie ! Any other officers out there still alive , please , tune to 91.3 fm and talk to me !!!

• Like 3

I think you could do that better because my english is realy bad thats the only problem.

I dont want to be Secretive.

Ok i try to explain it just go to the ladder with the Tent and put it as near as possible to the ladder

then go down the ladder and use your inventory and you should be able to grab it in the invertory.

But i did it only with the newui option i dont know if it works with the old ui.

This works (at least it used to) for civilian tents.

If they add molotov cocktails ...

Matches - check

Rags - check

Gasoline - check

Bottles - ?

We can dream ...

• Like 1

I've been asking for Molotov cocktails forever.

They will be essential for affordable horde control.

• Like 2

Has anyone seen the preview of the FN-Fal that's WIP? It looks awesome and is my favorite carbine , I really hope it comes soon .... :) played a bit of stable today and did t get wet at all , I'm choosing all dry servers it seems , but I did complete my cop outfit again and found a nice cr75 clip for my gun along with an extra battery for my walkie talkie ! Any other officers out there still alive , please , tune to 91.3 fm and talk to me !!!

The FAL always looks boss! I'm looking forward to seeing it ingame. The SVD in Dayz SA is awesome looking, too (compared to wooden stock models). The problem with the FAL will probably be its insane noise. Between it an the Winchester there will be a competition of which is the loudest rifle :) No problem at the moment, but when the infected are back, the FAL probably goes on the back and out comes the sledgehammer or a silenced weapon. I guess by and around then MP5s will become useful again.

I've been asking for Molotov cocktails forever.

They will be essential for affordable horde control.

I always liked that you could find empty Whiskey bottles in the mod to throw and distract zombies with. Combine it with a rag and some cleaning alcohol or fuel and you should have a great flaming molotov. However, molotovs are partly oil, so for realism's sake they might want to throw in some oil in future updates. Would be probably useful for maintaining the truck engine's health too, though I expect you will just have to switch out broken parts instead of maintaining them. 

I do think the throwing mechanics need a workover. We should have a (weaker) quick throw option, since holding g and releasing it is only possible when you are in complete safety or too far away to actually use it.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

-snip-

I always liked that you could find empty Whiskey bottles in the mod to throw and distract zombies with.

-snip-

I was just thinking back to when Rocket did a dev stream around release time and they were talking about the usefulness of cans and bottles left over from eating/drinking.

He spoke of tossing them to interact with zombies and how finding them would be evidence of another players presence.

This is one of those long ago mentioned things that took a back burner....

• Like 3

I was just thinking back to when Rocket did a dev stream around release time and they were talking about the usefulness of cans and bottles left over from eating/drinking.

He spoke of tossing them to interact with zombies and how finding them would be evidence of another players presence.

I'd probably just find my own empty cans and panic ;) But yeah, a lot of stuff doesn't get mentioned any more. What happened to dogs, too? I thought that was a great idea. 

When I read this I realized we don't drop empty cans any more, or do we? Until a couple of updates ago that still happened, or am I hallucinating? Nothing to do with them, though. In real life you could use an empty can for storage, sterilizing water + transport it + drink from it. I just think we have better options for that in Dayz, so I'm not missing the empty cans. However, lot of this seems awesome to think about. It would be fun to toss an empty can at a zombie horde and watch them kick it around in a game of zombie soccer. I would love to smash an empty bottle over someone's head just as much as the next man. I'd throw cans and have my friends shoot them for sport. Splattering baked beans all over until my enemies lose their eyesight. Or something like that. 

Dayz needs a few "chaos items" meaning that you can just use them for a bit of fun. Something like a Molotov would have real uses in game, like stopping a truck or burning zombies. The fire they have in game looks great. It also does damage and is dynamic in the case of the torch. So all the devs would need to do for Molotovs to work is to set some kind of radius to the burn damage and add the burning effects to the infected. Not a whole lot to do when you think about how much we can do with it and the fun to be had. We definitely need alcohol in the game. The only way I can think about this hurting gameplay is if Molotovs are too easy to make and carry. Once you lit them, they should be fine until thrown. So you can't really spam them in combat anyway. If you could use a gas canister to set up as a fuel bomb we could have small and big bangs together with the molotovs. 

Getting bored with 0.58. The server I play on went down, even though it was up during all of this year. And that happened on a day when I decided to leave everything at camp and go looting with a backpack and a pistol. Great timing! Can't wait for 0.59 to come out now. I know it is not a set goal for the release, but I do hope we'll see infected AI make a comeback. It's boring out there when your servers go missing and you can just restock the camp. Especially boring when the server goes down...

• Like 2

-snip- What happened to dogs, too? I thought that was a great idea. 

When I read this I realized we don't drop empty cans any more, or do we?

-snip-

Dogs are still on the way, I believe.

We haven't pooped out empty cans in a long time, much more than just a couple updates.

• Like 1

Yep.. I remember that also, which more than likely may have been the same dev blog.. He ate a tin of food then the empty can popped out and appeared beneath him.. 

Empty cans could be used for alot of things.. like setting up for target practice would have to be one of my favorite ideas.

By the way Bio, in reference to the molotov talk above..  The day we see any mention of molotovs as a WIP is the day I will eat my damn hat !  ....     and my pants, keys and house

• Like 2

By the way Bio, in reference to the molotov talk above..  The day we see any mention of molotovs as a WIP is the day I will eat my damn hat !  ....     and my pants, keys and house

Why? Kill all infected! Kill them with fire! :) Thinking about it - I doubt molotovs would be useful in cities. A) they make light/fire B)They explode = two ways to get zombies swarming you from all sides. However, I think there are uses, especially when it comes to stopping vehicles. Shooting at trucks is not very effective. If a truck is on fire however, chances are the driver will slightly panic, instead of driving out of sight and bandaging (which I always manage). It would also pop tires more easily. Their problem is they will be hopelessly overpowered at close range, so they need to be lit and carried, which prevents you from popping them. They are more like grenades than firebombs - and those are in the game.

What always puzzles me - why no smoke grenades? I can see little use for the grenades - I am usually throwing them and then just run - far away. However, smoke grenades could be really useful and we could probably make those from plant material, a container, and some incendiary, such as rags and gunpowder. If there are grenades in the game anyway, we might as well make some molotovs. They just need to be a bit difficult to light, have a chance of getting shot and exploding all over you and be rare in quantity. You may carry an empty bottle around without finding any oil, so you'll just use it for distraction. If not molotovs then at least let's have some Whiskey and get stinking drunk to numb the pain.  

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Speaking of fires, molotov cocktails would be nice. Only need to add glass bottles, and the mechanics/animation of course. Game already has gasoline, rags and matches. If they add molotov cocktails I'm gonna burn some shit down. Starting with those #@!% apartment buildings. :lol:

I don't know anymore man, I just don't know anymore. :(

At first the server time was equal to my local time but now it was day (around 14:00) when I logged in yesterday evening.

Getting wet isnt a problem per sey - the problem is if you are drenched and rest too much. You will eventually start shaking without a warning and its like flu, really hard to get rid off and to gain temperature back. You will just warm up really really slowly. And if you neglect it, you will die via Hypothermia within 5-10 minutes.

I don't know how you guys battle cold normally but as soon as I was cold I lit a fire.

I did notice that after my first fire, I got much colder when I was drenched again (rapidly instead of promptly).

I'd probably just find my own empty cans and panic ;) But yeah, a lot of stuff doesn't get mentioned any more. What happened to dogs, too? I thought that was a great idea.

When I read this I realized we don't drop empty cans any more, or do we? Until a couple of updates ago that still happened, or am I hallucinating? Nothing to do with them, though. In real life you could use an empty can for storage, sterilizing water + transport it + drink from it. I just think we have better options for that in Dayz, so I'm not missing the empty cans. However, lot of this seems awesome to think about. It would be fun to toss an empty can at a zombie horde and watch them kick it around in a game of zombie soccer. I would love to smash an empty bottle over someone's head just as much as the next man. I'd throw cans and have my friends shoot them for sport. Splattering baked beans all over until my enemies lose their eyesight. Or something like that.

Dayz needs a few "chaos items" meaning that you can just use them for a bit of fun. Something like a Molotov would have real uses in game, like stopping a truck or burning zombies. The fire they have in game looks great. It also does damage and is dynamic in the case of the torch. So all the devs would need to do for Molotovs to work is to set some kind of radius to the burn damage and add the burning effects to the infected. Not a whole lot to do when you think about how much we can do with it and the fun to be had. We definitely need alcohol in the game. The only way I can think about this hurting gameplay is if Molotovs are too easy to make and carry. Once you lit them, they should be fine until thrown. So you can't really spam them in combat anyway. If you could use a gas canister to set up as a fuel bomb we could have small and big bangs together with the molotovs.

Getting bored with 0.58. The server I play on went down, even though it was up during all of this year. And that happened on a day when I decided to leave everything at camp and go looting with a backpack and a pistol. Great timing! Can't wait for 0.59 to come out now. I know it is not a set goal for the release, but I do hope we'll see infected AI make a comeback. It's boring out there when your servers go missing and you can just restock the camp. Especially boring when the server goes down...

"We need alcohol", how about alcohol tincure, that's alcohol, right?

By the way, I rather don't have in Molotov for one simple reason.

I would shit my pants if a burning infected is running towards me.

• Like 1

"We need alcohol", how about alcohol tincure, that's alcohol, right?

By the way, I rather don't have in Molotov for one simple reason.

I would shit my pants if a burning infected is running towards me.

I meant Whiskey. I keep saying Alcohol, but what I really mean are just bottles. Something to throw and shatter. I actually don't care much about the Molotovs, they are more of a gadget than actually useful. Just one of the "chaos items" for sandbox fun. I am however on the other end of the line, because I would actually glee if a couple of burning zombies were charging me. How long can they burn anyway?   

• Like 2

So where is all the action at these dayz? Me and my mate where on for 1.5 hours last night looking for a fight and seen not one single person. Ran from ber to elektro on a full 40 man server.?>??> Is everyone up at the NWAF now?

So where is all the action at these dayz? Me and my mate where on for 1.5 hours last night looking for a fight and seen not one single person. Ran from ber to elektro on a full 40 man server.?>??> Is everyone up at the NWAF now?

The areas in which players are found are much more diverse now... expect to see people making the journey from the coast to NWAF. I've been on full servers in the major coastal cities only to find them completely barren countless times. The new combat hotspots seem to be Vybor/NWAF and Tent City... Really enjoying the randomness of finding players in this patch.

Why? Kill all infected! Kill them with fire! :)

I meant my comment as if to be in denial that we will  ever see them I dont dislike the idea... Molotov's and zombies go together like Beer and Doritos !!

I ask you and our fellow dayz friends this.. Are they in the mod ? and if they are (molotovs) how long did they take to be designed and implemented for the mod ? Cause if they arent in the mod I have a really good feeling  it would be quite a long time from this here post before we would see something..

While I was watching a stream yesterday, someone said, thaht you can survive "easily" by staying in the fire. Wait until you get ~ 10 "My face is melting" messages. (Hypothermia should be done now).

As far as I experienced, fire does not damage your clothes atm (or only really slow) - don't know how it effects your health atm but I would recommend to do this, as long as you are fully hydrated and energized and close to the healthy status. I will test it when I get the bug next time.

What do you think about a gas-heating? I start hating the situation, when you can choose between dying to hypothermia or lit a fire at a building (because of rain) and start waiting for someone entering and killing you, because he saw your fire. A gas-heating which isn't as effective as a campfire would be a balanced and sneaky alternative (imo).

While I was watching a stream yesterday, someone said, thaht you can survive "easily" by staying in the fire. Wait until you get ~ 10 "My face is melting" messages. (Hypothermia should be done now).

As far as I experienced, fire does not damage your clothes atm (or only really slow) - don't know how it effects your health atm but I would recommend to do this, as long as you are fully hydrated and energized and close to the healthy status. I will test it when I get the bug next time.

What do you think about a gas-heating? I start hating the situation, when you can choose between dying to hypothermia or lit a fire at a building (because of rain) and start waiting for someone entering and killing you, because he saw your fire. A gas-heating which isn't as effective as a campfire would be a balanced and sneaky alternative (imo).

Thats bs :P I lost plenty of health earlier just standing in the fire a couple seconds.

Like I said - once you catch "the shakes", its hard to get rid of them. Best you avoid anything that cools you off further, as Hypothermia will kill very fast.

Standing in between 2 fires  for a good 20 mins did nothing for me (including using 4 cans as heating packs).

But eventually lots of running and wearing a down jacket did the trick and shakes went away.

Thats bs :P I lost plenty of health earlier just standing in the fire a couple seconds.

Like I said - once you catch "the shakes", its hard to get rid of them. Best you avoid anything that cools you off further, as Hypothermia will kill very fast.

Standing in between 2 fires  for a good 20 mins did nothing for me (including using 4 cans as heating packs).

But eventually lots of running and wearing a down jacket did the trick and shakes went away.

Never said, that you loose no health  ;)  and what I said seems to be the "last chance", if you already have hypothermia and would die anyway. 

The best thing you can actually do, is to check your hands whenever you think that your char could be cooling off (soaked, rain,....). If you see the problem as early as possible, there is less temperature/heat to compensate.

About the shaking and warming up: If you wear a down jacket or a raincoat you should be really safe. Standing still with the down jacket (soaked) is still dangerous but with enough movement it's really easy to stay "slowly warming up".

However I had problems to "warm up rapidly" with a m65 jacket, hunting pants and athletic shoes. No problem with wellies, hunting pants and a down jacket so far.

EDIT:

First equipment: M65 jacket, skate helmet, balaklava, working gloves, hunting pants, athletic shoes

--> Insulation: 18.46

New equipment: Ushanka, face mask, quilted jacket, hunting pants, working gloves, wellies

--> Insulation: 26.86 (increase of ~45%)

When I see this values I realise why I didn't get the "I'm warming up quickly" message. There is still some potential for a better insulation level left^^

https://youtu.be/APMEjPsQMVM

Wobo-Tut about Hyper-/Hypothermia

Edited by R. Hartenstein