boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

-snip-

Instead they just say, that they are working on "something" but we never know if it is really the thing, we are discussing about. -snip-

For one thing, it's actually standard scientific method to make sure your test subjects have only the essential info to produce test results.

Secondly, they are in no way beholden to offer exacting bug source info and I can also imagine there are many good reasons (including not knowing exact causes) why you wouldn't offer this type of info moment to moment (the technicalities might be lost/useless on/for the vast amount of laymen involved here).

Remember the awful random can opening and ammo sorting sounds on high pop servers?

They only finally found the cause recently and I think that bug had been there for nearly a year....

• Like 1

experimental DB activity  :ph34r:

Hoping that hot fix Experimental comes out this afternoon. I'm ready to see how fast our group can build a camp from scratch to test it out  B)

• Like 5

For one thing, it's actually standard scientific method to make sure your test subjects have only the essential info to produce test results.

Secondly, they are in no way beholden to offer exacting bug source info and I can also imagine there are many good reasons (including not knowing exact causes) why you wouldn't offer this type of info moment to moment (the technicalities might be lost/useless on/for the vast amount of laymen involved here).

Remember the awful random can opening and ammo sorting sounds on high pop servers?

They only finally found the cause recently and I think that bug had been there for nearly a year....

I think you misunderstood me. Let's take a look at one of the latest twitter posts:

We figured out the issues reported (not despawning items, large camps) fixes done internaly. Hitting experimental soon to test

What does "not despawning items" mean in this case. Through the last days we were talking about:

- low tier backpacks at back country, which do not despawn (cause of peristence rules) so that there are no backpacks at the spawn areas any more

- ruined/empty items which do not despawn

- normally spawend items, which do not get despawned, after they haven't ´been picked up for a while

- guns at playercamps, which seem to avoid the cle from spawning guns at the normal positions

You see, we were talking about different kinds of items. I don't think, that they have to tell us any technical details but they should at least tell us, which parts of the game are concerned.

As I interpret this post, they are working on the lag-issues and general cleanup but I'm not sure if there will be a change for gun-respawn with the next fix.

EDIT: To say which objects, mechanics etc. are concerned and in which ways, is imo no technical detail. Imo dev's are just humans too, so they make mistakes. Why should I blame them for a wrong  guess, if they keep on wokring on the issue. I just want them to tell us as much as it is possible and reasonable (no things we can't understand without knowing the code)..... and they can really tell us more ;)

Edited by R. Hartenstein

I think you misunderstood me. Let's take a look at one of the latest twitter posts:

What does "not despawning items" mean in this case. Through the last days we were talking about:

- low tier backpacks at back country which do not despawn (cause of peristence rules) so that there are no backpacks at the spawn areas any more

- ruined/empty items which do not despawn

- normally spawend items, which do not get despawn after they haven't ´been picked up after a while

- guns at playercamps which seem to avoid the cle from spawning guns at the normal positions

You see, we were talking about different kind of items. I don't think, that they have to tell us any technical details but they should at least tell us, which parts of the game are concerned.

As I interpret this post, they are working on the lag-issues and general cleanup but I'm not sure if there will be a change for gun-respawn with the next fix.

Yup.

I'm not trying to just be contradictory here.

Everything you said is true.

Unfortunately, all of what I said RE: need to know bug details and hot fix details still holds true, this actually goes double on experimental and is partially why we don't get patch notes in experimental.

A couple things: I think we may need some clarification from the devs if it's the intent to have items on the ground count against the CLE maximum. I was under the impression that this was not the case (although maybe it is, currently?). I've read so much conflicting information and speculation on this, my brain is a mashed potato on the subject.

Regarding your solution, I know your heart is in the right place, but I don't like it. I don't like creating an environment where certain individuals and factions that may have more time to dedicate become basically omnipotent. This is especially damaging to private hives. There is simply no great equalizer in DayZ to counter the best weapons when it comes to engaging other players. Yes, I know given the perfect conditions you can kill an M4 guy with a Trumpet, but this is one of those 1%-er scenarios. It's simply not worth the risk to go to the far reaches of the map with a Trumpet knowing full-well you're probably getting sent back to the coast.

The only other option for getting good gear in your scenario is to become a full-time camp hunter. Fun for some, not so much for others.

I disagree, it might take a few hits but the trumpet is very silent so locating the shooter is harder. It is all about tactics, why does everyone want to rush in so badly?

A well known expression for snipers: "If you hit your target, you will have the kill. If you miss, you will be most likely killed.". The element of surprise and tactics is very important in DayZ.

This is the first I've heard of this bug happening as quickly as this.

Somewhere earlier in this thread people had posted that it took about 3 days for this to become an issue.

Logic then would have dictated the bug was not produced on experimental because wipes were < time needed to produce bug.

RE: frustration, try to remember that for every game breaker we struggle with now there are countless other bugs the team has overcame including bugs that never saw the public builds.

My faith is bolstered by the fact that DayZ has a lot of resources and "all the time in the world" to get it right. I'm ok with the fact that DayZ is going to encounter seemingly endless delays of all kinds.

When something really sours the experience for me, I take a break from playing the game (like I am now) and follow the news hoping for improvements.

Exactly how I roll. When this hotfixed is applied I will start playing again. I rather have people taking a break than spewing negativity about the game.

That's one point of view. What I ask myself atm, is why they are doing all the early access stuff, if they don't involve the players? - We see things going wrong and start discussing about it, while the devs allways say: "There is an issue, we will fix it". - What is this issue? Is it so hard to follow a general form of answer like:

There is an issue with [object-1, object-2,...] on [stable/experimental] [public-/private-servers]. Followed by a short discription.

Ecample:

There is an issue with guns on stable private servers. Guns, which are dropped down at player camps, prevent the cle from spawning new guns at the normal spawn-points.

or

There is an issue with peristence on all stable servers. Storage items like medkits, stored in other storage items like barrels, cause desync.

- - - - - - - - -

Instead they just say, that they are working on "something" but we never know if it is really the thing, we are discussing about. If they would answer in the way I, mentioned before, we could do further testing. We could tell them, if we think that they found the problem or if there is maybe more going wrong. So imo the frustrating thing is not the game, it's the fact that we are speculating the whole day and never get a real answer if we are right/wrong. The steam description says sth like: "Only purchase the game if you are interested in giving feedback on game-development. Game can be completley unplayble during some periods of development." ... :huh:

Brian Hicks mentioned the desync bug in the status report, same as cooking bug.

Hoping that hot fix Experimental comes out this afternoon. I'm ready to see how fast our group can build a camp from scratch to test it out B)

Haven't played in a while so my hands are itching. :lol:

Y1HSkzK.jpg

Now that is what I call luck. Two choppers which even crashed into each other.
  • Like 1

just to clarify, my frustration was referring to the communication towards the community, not the game nor its state. .58 is still a good and enjoyable version with a lot of work put into it.

dont wanna be named a hating, unpatient whiner.

greets

just to clarify, my frustration was referring to the communication towards the community, not the game nor its state. .58 is still a good and enjoyable version with a lot of work put into it.

dont wanna be named a hating, unpatient whiner.

greets

schnipp.........schnapp

it takes time to make it, some want it, i don´t need it.

for me its better use of time to push the game in the right direction.

for me its enough to see, OH, exp. update comming in on steam, rest will be found out from "our experimental" groups.

Edited by wasnu
  • Like 1

i think, the status report sucks hicks, what will you tell when nothing new is to tell and hicks don´t do spoilers?

it takes time to make it, some want it, i don´t need it.

for me its better use of time to push the game in the right direction.

for me its enough to see, OH, exp. update comming in on steam, rest will be found out from "our experimental" groups.

For future reference, you will want to substitute the word drains for sucks in a sentence like this.

At first I was a bit confused.

As I always say to non native speakers, "Your English is way better than my (insert native language, in your case German)."

• Like 3

Did you find double crashsite loot?  B)

Yeah, I did, but the choppers are now spawning a smattering of low tier general military loot and even some civilian stuff. I haven't found a chopper that got me excited due to the quality of loot in probably 30 crash sites now.

Dynamic spawned on a static possibly?

I am not aware of any static choppers currently. 

For future reference, you will want to substitute the word drains for sucks in a sentence like this.

At first I was a bit confused.

As I always say to non native speakers, "Your English is way better than my (insert native language, in your case German)."

:blush:  :blush:

i apologize and hopefully my english gets better if time goes by.

btw, in 1984 i was for 6 weeks on holiday in the states. i was searching my "gate" on JFK for my flight to rochester, and asked a young lady from the airline  "where is my stage?" she laughed and i was confused...

so, i know, my english is sometimes "funny" and mostly "bad", 

but sorry  :(

• Like 3

:blush:  :blush:

i apologize and hopefully my english gets better if time goes by.

btw, in 1984 i was for 6 weeks on holiday in the states. i was searching my "gate" on JFK for my flight to rochester, and asked a young lady from the airline  "where is my stage?" she laughed and i was confused...

so, i know, my english is sometimes "funny" and mostly "bad", 

but sorry  :(

I am gonna use that one in the future.

arrive somewhere, spread arms, "where is my stage?".

on topic, so Oak bark does exist on stable? I believe I saw it in some screenshot somewhere. possibly they hotfixed it?

would be nice if I could actually color my leathersack black now.

but I guess its probably the absolutely lowest of priorities, even tho I love me some customization and invidualization. I wish Smoss would comment on things like that as well, not just the bugged loot stuff.

Edited by jayfkay

Yeah, I did, but the choppers are now spawning a smattering of low tier general military loot and even some civilian stuff. I haven't found a chopper that got me excited due to the quality of loot in probably 30 crash sites now.

This.

i guess choppers need tweaking because the way they are right now, is just not rewarding most of the times.

This.

i guess choppers need tweaking because the way they are right now, is just not rewarding most of the times.

Russian crashes if you can find them seem to be more rewarding. I found a pristine smersh vest and combined it with my pristine smersh backpack I found earlier. But yeah American heli crashes for the most part are a waste of time. 

Russian crashes if you can find them seem to be more rewarding. I found a pristine smersh vest and combined it with my pristine smersh backpack I found earlier. But yeah American heli crashes for the most part are a waste of time. 

yeah, i found a smersh vest there too, from a russian crashes. still that doesn't change the fact that most of the times, those are not that much of a reward. maybe it's because of officer tent loot explosion.

anyway, Status report is out, nothing new thought, i kinda hoped to get some more info about that weird eugens tweet or some more info on .59 but meh ... guess we have to wait till next week.