boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Really having a hard time finding a decent gun in this patch. IMO, it takes waaaay to long for servers to repopulate material.

Spent 8 hours running around several different maps, differently populated and the best I could get was the shotgun with grip and frankly, that's a shit gun as evidenced by the fact that the first time I came across somebody, who (of course) just started to immediately fire upon me, I could do him no damage, even though I hit him full on at least twice. One shot from him and I'm dead and I now have to start over again.

And before people start going on about guns...the simple fact is that they are absolutely essential to this game for every player, as there are so many KOS clowns in the game. So a decent gun is a must.

Seriously though, the shotguns need some serious umphing in this game. Nobody should be able to shrug off a shotgun blast to the face. It's just bloody stupid.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent server to play on?

Edited by Tonyeh

Climbed some stairs.... Died gotta love dayz ;)

I got one better.

I tried to pick an item up in a copshop a couple of nights ago. I bent down to get the item, then all of a sudden found myself transported outside the building and falling to the ground.

You are dead.

:facepalm:

Also happy to report I saw a deer and a whole herd of cows... The cows were in a petrol station way up north!

For the past 2 days (different servers), I have found a deer herd between Polesovo and Mamino. Buggers are a bitch to get within .22 range (unscoped) and have been unable to sneak close enough for a bow or xbow shot. I've tried low crawling and approaching from cover. As soon as I get within 150m or so they run off. Anyone got any tricks? I'm an accomplished hunter irl and never had this much trouble getting within bow shot of deer before. The AI might need to be tweaked a bit.

Really having a hard time finding a decent gun in this patch. IMO, it takes waaaay to long for servers to repopulate material.

Spent 8 hours running around several different maps, differently populated and the best I could get was the shotgun with grip and frankly, that's a shit gun as evidenced by the fact that the first time I came across somebody, who (of course) just started to immediately fire upon me, I could do him no damage, even though I hit him full on at least twice. One shot from him and I'm dead and I now have to start over again.

And before people start going on about guns...the simple fact is that they are absolutely essential to this game for every player, as there are so many KOS clowns in the game. So a decent gun is a must.

Seriously though, the shotguns need some serious umphing in this game. Nobody should be able to shrug off a shotgun blast to the face. It's just bloody stupid.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent server to play on?

You might have been desynched and not aiming where you thought you were. I've found the shotguns to be 2hk most the time in close range. As for where to find weapons, that gets tricky. Military ones are obviously at mil bases. Civilian ones are spread all over. I spent about 6-7 hours yesterday running around with a improvised bow and arrows. Finally found a .22 rifle with mag and 1911 up in Stary Var (extreme north). The town also had 2 more 1911's, 3 Blazes, and a couple Izh rifles. But I didn't have ammo for them. I end up finding most my civilian rifles in the northern towns or the very small 3-4 house settlements in the lower half of the map. No one ever seems to go to those towns.

• Like 1

1) The KOS-people have to find guns, too, so that's not a reason. That's like claiming everyone needs to have a Porsche, since there are so many cars speeding on a highway. Having a prime weapon should and needs to be rare. This should be a SURVIVAL simulator, not a WalMart shopping center with weapons department.

2) Noone forces you to just confront every potential KOSer you see .... sneak and hide is also part of the game, not only running with guns blazing. That's Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, whateever....

3) The KOS you complain about is the very result of guns being too prevalent. Everyone having everything, but no further game content to handle, since survival is too easy. So what to do, shoot some people. Understandable. But that's not the root of the problem - the root is too many guns, too much canned food.

4) Interaction other than boom shoot boom is only going to happen if people need each other. Hordes of zombies, scarce weapons and ammo, food and so on could all be reasons to team up and interact beyond gunpoint. And would make it a survival game.

I respect you having a different opinion, but mine is a direct opposite. I am still looking for DayZ to become a survival game.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 1

Whe you run into someone in a house, you have no option but to "confront".

I normally tend to avoid people, because most of the players these days are ONLY interested in PVP and that's not really what floats my boat. Normally, I'd be interested in a gun usually because I'd like to clear towns of zeds. But there are none of them in the game now, so the only threat to the player is other players, who more often than not will simply fire on you as soon as they look at you, regardless of your threat level.

At least having a decent weapon will give you the edge.

1. It isn't anywhere near a "survival simulator yet"

2. See the above paragraph.

3. Guns are essential to the game. There isn't a single player out there that doesn't go for the best gun they can find.

We are in agreement on 4.

Edited by Tonyeh

I normally tend to avoid people, because most of the players these days are ONLY interested in PVP and that's not really what floats my boat. Normally, I'd be interested in a gun usually because I'd like to clear towns of zeds. But there are none of them in the game now, so the only threat to the player is other players, who more often than not will simply fire on you as soon as they look at you, regardless of your threat level.

3. Guns are essential to the game. There isn't a single player out there that doesn't go for the best gun they can find.

I think you are right about this, but it depends on the server and when you play. I often find myself at empty military bases and tents, simply because someone was there before me and stashed everything they could in their camp. Probably the more viable solution is to search for player camps now and "steal" some of their weapons. However that's not what I expect to be doing in game, either. I don't even start Dayz these days, because I don't have much more than an hour of playtime/day right now. And that will get me from one empty camp to another in Dayz with the high probability of meeting someone, who's better equipped than me. 

The KOS still frustrates me. Not, because I don't think it belongs in the game, but because people who never played the mod think this is what Dayz is about. I really can't count the times when I wasn't even carrying a backpack and only a wrench or hammer and still I got shot at and often killed. I don't wanna hear "Go play COD!" anymore from people, who play Dayz like it is COD. I have two friends I play with and they only run around shooting at people. It's almost impossible to get them interested in anything else. So it makes me really wonder why we are getting all the deep mechanics and different economies, if in the end, we'll just run around shooting at everything. It's high time the devs bring the infected back and get it right this time. Maybe only a bigger threat will make people more conscious of their surroundings and of the possibilities in this game. Zombies are the real sandbox element in the game, and as long as they are a laugh (or missing completely), Dayz simply can't evolve beyond the KOS -simulator we have now. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

0. Thanks for your reply and input.

1. true, but spreading out loot like smarties is not going to help on the way there either. Going with your "if you enter a house".-scenario for a second, the solution would be to simply spawn with a high end weapon, then you will have a level playing field. See also point 3. Maybe you want that, I don't.

2. Didn't really get the reference, maybe too early in the morning for me.

3. True, but this doesn't mean that everyone should have a high end mil gear - if so, they should just drop the whole loot system and make a start screen where you can equip yourself without having to roam the map first. That's why I think weapons should be rare - it should indeed be special to have a good weapon with matching ammo.

4. Yes and that's fine - that's what a discussion board is about.

• Like 1

I think you are right about this, but it depends on the server and when you play. I often find myself at empty military bases and tents, simply because someone was there before me and stashed everything they could in their camp. Probably the more viable solution is to search for player camps now and "steal" some of their weapons. However that's not what I expect to be doing in game, either. I don't even start Dayz these days, because I don't have much more than an hour of playtime/day right now. And that will get me from one empty camp to another in Dayz with the high probability of meeting someone, who's better equipped than me. 

The KOS still frustrates me. Not, because I don't think it belongs in the game, but because people who never played the mod think this is what Dayz is about. I really can't count the times when I wasn't even carrying a backpack and only a wrench or hammer and still I got shot at and often killed. I don't wanna hear "Go play COD!" anymore from people, who play Dayz like it is COD. I have two friends I play with and they only run around shooting at people. It's almost impossible to get them interested in anything else. So it makes me really wonder why we are getting all the deep mechanics and different economies, if in the end, we'll just run around shooting at everything. It's high time the devs bring the infected back and get it right this time. Maybe only a bigger threat will make people more conscious of their surroundings and of the possibilities in this game. Zombies are the real sandbox element in the game, and as long as they are a laugh (or missing completely), Dayz simply can't evolve beyond the KOS -simulator we have now. 

If DayZ gets near to the vision Brian Hicks and the crew have for it, it'll possibly be one of the greatest games ever made. However, we are a very, very long way away from that at the moment, because all DayZ is at present is a glorified PVP shooter that takes a stupid amount of time to get equiped. That's the facts, whether we like it or not.

Re: zombies...here's a post I made about them in another part of the forum which illustrates what I want from them.

What I'd like to see in DayZ regarding zombies, is to make them a really serious threat to player survival. There have to be lots of them, of course, but also I'd make it so a there's a 50/50 chance of the player being infected if one lands a blow. Infection doesn't necessarily have to mean death though. It can simply use the mechanics that are already present in the current build when your wounds get infected, but I'd up the ante. The infected should be a true danger and one that the players shouldn't take lightly. That'll up the stakes considerably when dealing with them and it'll also eliminate much of the PVP sniper bullshit that goes on in the game.

The zombies in DayZ should be a threat worth reckoning with, not the empty gesture they are (or non-existent as of .58). Players should have to think twice before going into a town with a group of them hanging out. It's also make co-op more rewarding. One or two zombies should be ok to handle in a malee, but six to ten or more, no way. You should either have to run away or resort to the gun, which should then attract more of them you your location, making gun use a final option.

They also shouldn't announce their presence either. One of the great things about the silent zombies of a few patches ago was that they could pop up anywhere and the player really had to be on the lookout for them. A number of times I was suprised by a zed in .56 (I think it was .56) and to be honest, it was bloody great to have that level of tension. I remember crawling through a town at night, looking for an item, trying to avoid the zombies that were there and it was absolutely exhilarating.

Frankly until the above happens, pointless PVP will continue to be the norm (and it it usually pointless as most of the dead player's gear is largely ruined after being killed).

I've probably hundreds, if not over a thousand hours logged on DayZ now and I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of positive interaction I've had with other players and yet I see YouTube vids all the time with players talking to strangers, whereas my usual encounters are "Hello!" -> Bang! -> You are Dead...

A lot of the time, I don't even have a shirt on my back.

I absolutely agree that the main focus of the dev group should be the zombies (I know they are working in them) and until they are sorted in a meaningful way that makes them a real worry for the player, DayZ will ONLY be a PVP shooter masquerading as something more.

• Like 2

If DayZ gets near to the vision Brian Hicks and the crew have for it, it'll possibly be one of the greatest games ever made. However, we are a very, very long way away from that at the moment, because all DayZ is at present is a glorified PVP shooter that takes a stupid amount of time to get equiped. That's the facts, whether we like it or not..

Just quoting this, because I agree 100% with this statement (which doesn't imply that I like the current state of affairs ;) )

• Like 1

0. Thanks for your reply and input.

1. true, but spreading out loot like smarties is not going to help on the way there either. Going with your "if you enter a house".-scenario for a second, the solution would be to simply spawn with a high end weapon, then you will have a level playing field. See also point 3. Maybe you want that, I don't.

2. Didn't really get the reference, maybe too early in the morning for me.

3. True, but this doesn't mean that everyone should have a high end mil gear - if so, they should just drop the whole loot system and make a start screen where you can equip yourself without having to roam the map first. That's why I think weapons should be rare - it should indeed be special to have a good weapon with matching ammo.

4. Yes and that's fine - that's what a discussion board is about.

1. It's a very delicate balance, no doubt. But, as it stands DayZ is PVP for the vast majority of players, whether I like that or not and at the moment player death, 99% of the time, comes in the form of another player shooting them for shits and giggles. I don't agree about spawning with a high end weapon, part of the game's lure is searching for gear. However, if after 8 or 16 hours or more of gameplay, you're killed by someone with an AK47, while you've been stuck with slingshot, that kind of culmination will eventually put people off, regardless of what "type" of player they are.

2. By "See the above paragraph I meant see this "I normally tend to avoid people, because most of the players these days are ONLY interested in PVP and that's not really what floats my boat. Normally, I'd be interested in a gun usually because I'd like to clear towns of zeds. But there are none of them in the game now, so the only threat to the player is other players, who more often than not will simply fire on you as soon as they look at you, regardless of your threat level."

3. I agree. I don't think everyone should have high end military gear. However, high end military gear is currently the best gear in the game. So, basic logic will dictate the people will search out the best gear they can find in order to survive longer. This really is a no brainer. In saying that, I'm a person that would welcome NO automatic weapons in the game and no helicopters and all of that noise, to be honest. As it stands, if you any sense, you're going to be searching for the high end military gear...because you can be damn sure somebody else who means to do you harm, has it.

• Like 1

Just quoting this, because I agree 100% with this statement (which doesn't imply that I like the current state of affairs ;) )

Well according to Hicks RTX presentation we are not gonna see the game delayed (much) at all. Somehow they figured, despite failing most of their goals for 2015, there will still be some miracle happening in the next three-four months. To me that would mean we get a new experiental 2x/ month and a new stable 1x/ month. Only then could they reach their goals. Dayz should not be a very, very long time away from Beta - what I fear the most is that they will just start calling it a Beta at some point, even though parts of the game will still be broken. It's a weird Alpha. I'm used to alphas looking shoddy, but prototyping all the gameplay mechanics, before refining the models. In Dayz we get ultra nice models and fine environments, while the core game is still not working. 

About 0.58 - I don't know what else to say. I played the experimental too much, so there is really not that much to find and do for me now. Also, the crowds on exp servers seem a bit nicer, so I'm just looking forward to 0.59 exp right now. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Well according to Hicks RTX presentation we are not gonna see the game delayed (much) at all. Somehow they figured, despite failing most of their goals for 2015, there will still be some miracle happening in the next three-four months. To me that would mean we get a new experiental 2x/ month and a new stable 1x/ month. Only then could they reach their goals. Dayz should not be a very, very long time away from Beta - what I fear the most is that they will just start calling it a Beta at some point, even though parts of the game will still be broken. It's a weird Alpha. I'm used to alphas looking shoddy, but prototyping all the gameplay mechanics, before refining the models. In Dayz we get ultra nice models and fine environments, while the core game is still not working. 

About 0.58 - I don't know what else to say. I played the experimental too much, so there is really not that much to find and do for me now. Also, the crowds on exp servers seem a bit nicer, so I'm just looking forward to 0.59 exp right now. 

I'm getting to that point as well. I played a little exp .58 and enjoyed it somewhat. But, the fact is that it's just a little too boring at the moment and there's far too much still to be done. DayZ is probably the only game which is bizarrely compelling and incredibly tedious at the same time. It's funny. But, no zeds is a serious, serious problem and there's no point in anyone sticking their head in the sand over that.

I think I'll be hopping onto exp .59 as soon as it's out, because .58 isn't doing it for me.

I agree with the opinion that Brian's RTX presentation's aim for an end of year beta is ambitious, to say the very least. If they pull it off, that will be absolutely fantastic. But, looking at .58, that looks like a pipe dream to me. Also, while new cars look great, it's the basics that need to get sorted first and that's the zombies. Zombies, which have ruined the game time and time again when they're implemented, so much so, it forces me to wonder if they can ever be in the game in a meaningful fashion.

• Like 3

-snip-

not quoting again, since I pretty much agree on all the points you made in your last post. Thank you for making your point. Have a good day :)

• Like 2

Out of all the rifles that can now recieve the hunting scope, I'm surprised this patch left out the Izh18 as an option. With the repeater at least needing the PU scope as well, are any more rifles with scope capability in the works?

Short answer: yes. We are gaining a more robust crafting system in the near future that will allow for improvised weapon augmentation like homemade rails for mounting scopes.

• Like 2

If DayZ gets near to the vision Brian Hicks and the crew have for it, it'll possibly be one of the greatest games ever made. However, we are a very, very long way away from that at the moment, because all DayZ is at present is a glorified PVP shooter that takes a stupid amount of time to get equiped. That's the facts, whether we like it or not.

Re: zombies...here's a post I made about them in another part of the forum which illustrates what I want from them.

Frankly until the above happens, pointless PVP will continue to be the norm (and it it usually pointless as most of the dead player's gear is largely ruined after being killed).

I've probably hundreds, if not over a thousand hours logged on DayZ now and I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of positive interaction I've had with other players and yet I see YouTube vids all the time with players talking to strangers, whereas my usual encounters are "Hello!" -> Bang! -> You are Dead...

A lot of the time, I don't even have a shirt on my back.

I absolutely agree that the main focus of the dev group should be the zombies (I know they are working in them) and until they are sorted in a meaningful way that makes them a real worry for the player, DayZ will ONLY be a PVP shooter masquerading as something more.

Tonyeh, I have to say that your seeing into this very short sightedly ...All People don't search for a ridiculously high end weapon right away (I first search for a police outfit , as I always say my words are my most powerful weapon) , and PVp is NOT the only thing to do in this gsme ... I see novice dayz players say this all the time , but really you aren't playing dayz the right way to interact with others when you can only think of self preservation (this Is a game , try and take evey life as a different one instead of the same life from before seeking pvp vengeance )... I see above all youre truly interested in is finding guns (and high end ones for that matter) and then you go on to say that you ALWAYS confront someone when inside a house (and for that reason im guessing you confront them outside as well) that raises red flags for someone who's always friendly like me . It's a bummer that Zeds are hardly in right now yes , but not being able to find a weapon in 3-5 hours is a godsend in this game . Like nocturas said above it only curbs PVP in this game (when PVE is stronger it will show even more so) , and let me guess if you have only been experiencing pvp in this game and nothing else you are either :

Always At military locations looking for that high end gun basically begging for pvp , or youre traversing through high population 3rd person servers which is haven for scum (no offense 3PP players but 1PP just seems to be friendlier) or your hopping low pop servers which everyone knows you have a higher chance at seeing people on low Pop servers in high loot areas (such as mil bases).

But if you're avoiding all those things , To mitigate supspicion of yourself , try talking to someone when you know they are there . For instance , your house example , next time you hear or see someone in the house you are in , immediately get into cover and yell to them that you're in the building and don't want to fight, if they don't respond they are definitely looking for a fight , but don't tell us that there's no choice besides confrontation because that's just wrong , too many people are just afraid of doing anything else so they run or shoot the first person they see ...

There are options in this game when it comes to player interaction , don't be like the rest of the people who mistake this game for some cheap shoot em up , just because everyone else wants to treat it that way doesn't mean you have to , and I get it , bad people with guns everywhere but to really get control of those situations you need to start going out on a limb and do things like trying to converse with the people who have guns when you dont, because fact of the matter is , many of these KOS bandits can be talked down or at least convinced to let you live if you suck up to them (and many times provides great RP) .

Opposite of you , I can only count on my two hands the amount of NEGATIVE encounters I've had over the last month, while the amount of positive friendly encounters in that same time are about double that because I simply don't just run or punch when I am unarmed (that's fine if you want to run but I'm telling you not everyone wants to kill you , you just have to feel them out by talking first). Chances are they might want to kill you but when they try , THATS when you can try and run , and I mean if it gets you an amazing encounter might as well try conversing seeing as running around for 6 hours without a weapon is boring to most , so spice it up and try to interact with those wielding weapons (as opposed to thinking "oh my life is over" as soon as you spot someone armed) , they might even give you one , which has happened to me numerous times resulting in making steam friends !

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 4

Funny that you call all these places way up north. Sinistok, Tisy, Stary Yar, Krasnoe, Kamensk, Novodmitrovsk, etc. these places I call way up north.

You're roaming in an high traffic area, go to these places I gave you and then we may discuss about a potentional bug.

But I agree on the part that private hives can differ from the public or even other private hives. So you might be right.

I agree on the taking a break part. I rather take a break before I get really disappointed because the persistence and camps was the main reason I really was looking forward to this stable patch.

Ya poor choose of words on my part... 

But ya i tried those places you mentioned this weekend too, still nothing.

Just hoping they fix this for next patch cuz i hate play on public servers with server hopers and ghosting. 

By any chance you know any EU/high pop, private server where CLE is working properly? Thks

Edited by Biao

Based on the fact you found an AUG, with a NATO silencer attached and two mags (importantly, one that was empty) leads me to believe a player dropped it.

Guns don't spawn with attachments and clips always spawn full (at least AFAIK)

I already found empty clips in a police station on Sinistok, and the aug had no mags attached to it, they were like under the weapon one mag you couldn't even see because it was kinda under the other mag, but the aug did had a silencer. Are you sure weapons don't spawn with attachments? If it was someone who dropped there, why the fuck did the guy do that lmao

What a shitty place to hide an aug!

Good lord people, there are more places to hide camps than the forests around Stary Yar.  This morning on a private hive, I found 4 camps in less than an hour.  And to speak to the loot situation, few had much worth stealing.  Mosins, a single CMAG, some batteries and plugs.

We had a bit of a conversation about what you'd said about eating meat then charcoal... (that quote was closer to the end of the thread). Like I said "you're the guy" so I said it like that was just the way it was. But as we talked I realized that charcoal makes you throw up and this would likely nullify any health you got from meat. Instead of getting food poisoning you throw up- but it is kind of contraindicated.

Now with that said- there may be some specifics about the game world that don't work the same way- 

Have I misunderstood something? 

I still haven't even picked up let alone tried charcoal because that's what I figured, puking causes hydration/energy and I believe blood loss? I have a ton of netting and duct tape and haven't been moving around the map enough to sustain myself on found food so fish it is. I'm just messing with the cooked meat making you sick keep rough number on how often it happens and the fastest ways to recover. I'm looking for some charcoal to try but this one just happened so I'll call it another test of just eating through it, I did take blood that I may or may not transfuse back after the sick status passes to see how much that speeds recovery.   

3. I'm the single player then, I think I have a longhorn on me now in case I see a deer but was unarmed by choice since last Wednesday. I have told 2 separate ungeared players to keep their distance and mind their own business was healthy and would have out sprinted them anyway, and completely avoided 2 grouped armed players by seeing them first and hiding, no shots fired I survived making it a survival game.  

• Like 3

Good lord people, there are more places to hide camps than the forests around Stary Yar.  This morning on a private hive, I found 4 camps in less than an hour.  And to speak to the loot situation, few had much worth stealing.  Mosins, a single CMAG, some batteries and plugs.

Noone has found my stuff nor will. I think I found a very solid way of hiding my few backpacks here and there. But the way I see it the places to hide stuff are indeed kinda limited. If I told you why, I would give away my locations :P

• Like 1

Noone has found my stuff nor will. I think I found a very solid way of hiding my few backpacks here and there. But the way I see it the places to hide stuff are indeed kinda limited. If I told you why, I would give away my locations :P

same here, BUT i have the "old" squirrel problem, i can´t find 1/3 of my well hidden backpacks after some time :blush:  

all trees looks equal...damit ^^

ending up in running from tree to tree with open inventory and thinking...moah..was not that realy needed stuff..forget about it and place an new backpack^^ 

• Like 1

Tonyeh, I have to say that your seeing into this very short sightedly ...All People don't search for a ridiculously high end weapon right away (I first search for a police outfit , as I always say my words are my most powerful weapon) , and PVp is NOT the only thing to do in this gsme ... I see novice dayz players say this all the time , but really you aren't playing dayz the right way to interact with others when you can only think of self preservation (this Is a game , try and take evey life as a different one instead of the same life from before seeking pvp vengeance )... I see above all youre truly interested in is finding guns (and high end ones for that matter) and then you go on to say that you ALWAYS confront someone when inside a house (and for that reason im guessing you confront them outside as well) that raises red flags for someone who's always friendly like me . It's a bummer that Zeds are hardly in right now yes , but not being able to find a weapon in 3-5 hours is a godsend in this game . Like nocturas said above it only curbs PVP in this game (when PVE is stronger it will show even more so) , and let me guess if you have only been experiencing pvp in this game and nothing else you are either :

Always At military locations looking for that high end gun basically begging for pvp , or youre traversing through high population 3rd person servers which is haven for scum (no offense 3PP players but 1PP just seems to be friendlier) or your hopping low pop servers which everyone knows you have a higher chance at seeing people on low Pop servers in high loot areas (such as mil bases).

But if you're avoiding all those things , To mitigate supspicion of yourself , try talking to someone when you know they are there . For instance , your house example , next time you hear or see someone in the house you are in , immediately get into cover and yell to them that you're in the building and don't want to fight, if they don't respond they are definitely looking for a fight , but don't tell us that there's no choice besides confrontation because that's just wrong , too many people are just afraid of doing anything else so they run or shoot the first person they see ...

There are options in this game when it comes to player interaction , don't be like the rest of the people who mistake this game for some cheap shoot em up , just because everyone else wants to treat it that way doesn't mean you have to , and I get it , bad people with guns everywhere but to really get control of those situations you need to start going out on a limb and do things like trying to converse with the people who have guns when you dont, because fact of the matter is , many of these KOS bandits can be talked down or at least convinced to let you live if you suck up to them (and many times provides great RP) .

Opposite of you , I can only count on my two hands the amount of NEGATIVE encounters I've had over the last month, while the amount of positive friendly encounters in that same time are about double that because I simply don't just run or punch when I am unarmed (that's fine if you want to run but I'm telling you not everyone wants to kill you , you just have to feel them out by talking first). Chances are they might want to kill you but when they try , THATS when you can try and run , and I mean if it gets you an amazing encounter might as well try conversing seeing as running around for 6 hours without a weapon is boring to most , so spice it up and try to interact with those wielding weapons (as opposed to thinking "oh my life is over" as soon as you spot someone armed) , they might even give you one , which has happened to me numerous times resulting in making steam friends !

Hmmm...I think you may have misinterpreted just about everything I was trying to say. I'm not saying that everyone's first priority has to be getting an M4 or whatever. But, in order to have a decent chance against someone who simply plays the game as a KOS'er, you absolutely will need something decent at hand and you can guarantee that somewhere in your playtime on DayZ as it currently stands, that you'll meet someone that will want to kill your toon for no reason at all. Personally, as I've said, I mostly carry a gun to use on zombies and tend to avoid other people unless they can show that their intentions are peaceful. 90% of the time, they're not and it ends with me dead as I initiate talking and they start firing.

Also, I did not say that I "...ALWAYS confront someone when inside a house". I said "When you run into someone in a house, you have no option but to 'confront'". I'll clarify that by saying when you run into KOS'er in a house, you have no option but to 'confront', for better understanding, and if you're armed with a trumpet and they have an MP5, you might as well just not bother. Of course, if there is an option to back off, I'll take it. I usually don't engage anyone, unless they fire first, or like like doing so.

As for less weapons curbing PVP, I have yet to see that. Bar one glitch, I've been KOS'd every single time, even when I didn't have some much as a fancy coat on.

I agree that military locations are a haven for "scum" as you put it, so you take a chance going there. However, they also have good gear in the form of military jackets, vests and trousers, which are great for carrying items. The Gorka jacket is the best coat in the game. It has great camo and it's waterproof.

As for talking to people, that's the thing that gets me killed as I'm the one off my guard. In fact, I specifically stated that "...my usual encounters are "Hello!" -> Bang! -> You are Dead..." i.e. that's me saying "Hello" and getting blasted in the face, when I'd much rather just se if the other player has anything to trade. The only time this doesn't happen, is when I meet a new spawn. But they probably are only "friendly" because they don't have a weapon themselves yet. In saying that, I also met new spawns that have their fists out throwing punches within a second of "Hello".