boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

I too am having a great experience so far, as for choosing a server im nomadic as I haven't tried the whole ill build a camp thing yet. Everytime I log on I generally choose any 50 man server with a pop of 45-49 players because I hope for encounters even if its a kos kiddie because interaction, even if its evade and escape is what makes this game for me, I neverhave a set direction only say monday I went east coastally, so tues id go northwest log high in the map another day log in and double back or go south east. All this log on and go to X place every time sounds like everyone doing this is having a poor experience. And as for loot its great, do I always find what I want? No, do I have the best stuff? No, am I having a blast? Hell yea.

Dynamicly spawning ones do. Static ones probably not.

Watching the PAX interview something in particular striked me: The massive gains in server performance! It really felt a lot better in 58 already, but its great to have numbers to it.

Him mentioning the server framerate, in 55 it actually would drop down to just 5 frames per second... which immediately explains the crazy desync. According to him they bumped it up to an average of 10-15 in 57 and in 58 the goal was to have it AT LEAST be 20 and ideally around 25-30.

Compared to 55, that is a goddamn 4-5 times better server performance! This plays a HUGE role in player interaction, object interaction and is extremely noticeable in gunfights etc.

I found that extremely interesting myself. Some good tidbits have come out of Pax Prime so far. Will be interesting to see what they have to say today and tomorrow.

I want to say the cleanup isn't functioning 100% any crafting waste or stuff you can put into the world from nothing like sticks, fish guts, harvested seeds seems to be getting cleaned up, discarded found loot does not or not yet. I'm watching a discarded item that's been down since Wednesday afternoon/evening and going to check it tomorrow evening to see if 3 days has any magic to it.

The initial loot put into the system seems like a lot less than we saw in exp and I'm not seeing the same respawn rate hanging out in SE corner that I did in any of the exp builds.

One thing I do if I'm going to stay in an area is turning every piece of clothing that I can into rags, then into rope and I'm not seeing the clothing get replaced in my area anywhere close to the rate I'm getting rid of it.

Civilian guns at least in the Tulga/Skalatisy area are not spawning or respawning anywhere close to what I was seeing in exp either.

Which piece of loot did you throw on the ground?

Because I took a gas cannister somewhere and wanted to hide it for a while. In 30 minutes or maybe an hour it was gone and nobody took it, I'm 100 % sure.

Some items don't despawn (immediately) like Garden lime.

Once they release the server files, I'm going to try to set up my own server here at the house. It may not end up costing much, if anything to keep it rolling. I may have to bump my internet package up a bit, but I was already kinda looking for an excuse to do that. It just depends on server hardware requirements, player count, and bandwidth requirements.

Also, I'm told that currently GSPs basically have to throw some of their top tier servers at DayZ because of its' unoptimized nature. It may eventually be that servers become cheaper to operate even when renting.

I would love to help pay/donate towards such kind of server.

As much as it sucks to say so, I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this. I've been keeping tabs on a few items around the NWAF on the private server that I play on since Wednesday evening and so far they are still there. I have picked a few items up and dropped them in random areas in the forest surrounding the NWAF and they are still sitting there every time I wander past and check on them. Hopefully this issue with loot cleanup is something they can track down and fix without having to wait for 0.59 or another future patch. I was really looking forward to playing in 0.58, but if loot cleanup continues malfunctioning I might just have to park DayZ on the shelf again and wait for a bit longer to pick it back up. I love this game, it's just insanely frustrating.

Let me explain the loot clean up for you. Loot which is spawned in (like in houses, sheds, etc.) doesn't get cleaned up. It stays there until a player picks it up. If the player throws it on the ground it does get cleaned up eventually if it stays untouched.

So loot does not get cleaned up if it spawned in by the server unless it is removed from the original spawn point.

Also for the ones wondering: loot does respawn correctly. I have seen loot respawn before my eyes (again) and nobody placed it there, I'm sure of that. :lol:

All vehicle wrecks that don't have interactive parts like doors that open have their loot turned off right now.

I did see a gas can on a ural truck front fender that would have been tough for a player to place but could be I guess.

Nah, multiple people found gas cannisters over there so it's apparently the only item they spawn. :lol:

I am not seeing abnormal/unexpected drops, or freezes in this build, but my overall FPS is dramatically lower than usual. A few builds back, when the zeds were plentiful, I could go to the Northern most edge of the map, look out over the wasteland and see 190FPS. After the zeds were dramatically reduced, I could go to "my spot" at the Northern edge and see 120FPS. In this build, I'm only seeing 80FPS.

This equates to about 25-29FPS in towns, instead of the 50+ that I had before.

If significant quantities of zeds were in the game now, it would probably be unplayable, without significant config file compromises.

I'm having the same problem only not this build. My new video card has the same FPS or maybe even lower than my old, while this one is much better. In other games I can put everything higher and still have good FPS but not in DayZ.

They really need to hurry up with that new renderer/engine.

I go about the most random ways, to the most remote places possible, and still the buildings are usually mostly devoid of items to take with me. And every day I pay a visit to several military hotspots. Going there is quite dangerous, and it at least comes with the expectation that they're either empty, or that you get lucky. So imagine my long face as I just keep finding skirts, grampas coats, books, bikers helmets and other such bonbons. But yay-me I found a hunting scope - in a chicken feed. Got the fuzzy feeling that this loot thing isn't working right.

On a full server like Eldorado, ... places are constantly picked clean. There's just garbage leftovers, and they never get cleaned up by the server to be replaced with something (hopefully not totally) random, and new. I've got friends on it who are days in, playing, and got "lucky" with childrens briefcases, and if at all, and maybe a few shells for the gun they'll never find.

So all in all. Sure - when the server just started, everything is hunky dory. Run, Forest, run. Grab all the stuff before anyone else comes. Because if anyone was there before you, you can grow a long grey beard until the server considers spawning something halfway decent there again. It'll be like rummaging through empty sock drawers to find scraps of cheese.

I haven't played since the first day of the patch. Gonna do it as soon as I'm done with reading on here. I will post back eventually about the loot I find.
  • Like 1

I haven't played since the first day of the patch. Gonna do it as soon as I'm done with reading on here. I will post back eventually about the loot I find.

Then you might not realize that loot dropped by players is NOT being removed by the cleaning script in 30 minutes or so. It is staying for hours if not days. Manufactured loot like fish guts, bones, rags, etc are getting cleaned, but regular gear/weapons are not. Its one of the issues with this patch some of us are investigating.

Oh and good luck in your games. :)

• Like 1

I like the idea of not everyone having everything. Makes for a challenge, doesn't it? ;)

hopefully so - time to change from WalMart simulator to survival experience again.

I'd like to get to a point where I consider myself quite fortunate to have a pistol with a mag and the correct ammo. Perhaps even not having a primary at all for an extended period of time. 

• Like 3

Then you might not realize that loot dropped by players is NOT being removed by the cleaning script in 30 minutes or so. It is staying for hours if not days. Manufactured loot like fish guts, bones, rags, etc are getting cleaned, but regular gear/weapons are not. Its one of the issues with this patch some of us are investigating.

I dropped a bolt quiver 2 days ago that's still laying in the grass where I dropped it.

I dropped a bolt quiver 2 days ago that's still laying in the grass where I dropped it.

Somewhere around 2 weeks ago, the Exp builds began to degrade in quality somewhat dramatically. Right when they were hunting hard for a repro on the weapon swapping/dropping/disappearing whatever the hell that issue was. 

Items not despawning, loot distribution, persistence, all of this was working quite well. 

The short term solution to cleaning up areas of stuff you want to see despawned that doesnt despawn on its own is finding a couple jackets, dropping them outside of a spawn area (i.e. outside of a house, not inside..) and placing said items inside.

Jackets literally despawn within 5-10 minutes. I think the only think that can change that is a player in close proximity.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 1

This is interesting. I flushed with Shift+Minus and then type flush and my GFX temperature went down to 80 degrees Celcius. After like 3 minutes doing nothing, not even moving the mouse it went up 8 degrees Celcius.

I was just listening how my GFX fan started to cry more and more. While playing it sometimes goes up to 93 degrees Celcius, it's not good for my GFX card I can tell you that. It's just ridiculous that the GFX card needs to work so hard while nothing is happening.

By the way about the loot: there is nothing wrong with the loot where I am playing. I was red thirsty and was in the middle of nowhere so I reached towards Sinistok. Found some purification tablets and drank light green hydrated at the nearest pond. Then I started to be red hungry. Found some powdered milk and was imediately neutral. I ate 2 cans of tactical bacon and a pack of rice. I passed up on spaghetti and some packs of rice. So there is plenty of food but you need to know where to look.

The short term solution to cleaning up areas of stuff you want to see despawned that doesnt despawn on its own is finding a couple jackets, dropping them outside of a spawn area (i.e. outside of a house, not inside..) and placing said items inside.

Jackets literally despawn within 5-10 minutes. I think the only think that can change that is a player in close proximity.

I did a little test, I threw a hoodie on the ground and waited 30 minutes, nothing happened. Then I read Jayfkay's comment and got fed up waiting so I went to a water pump very close, drank a bit and went back. When I got back it was gone. So in conclusion: items despawn after a while without interaction and without a player near. However some items don't despawn or don't despawn imediately. Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

Same goes for basically any clothing container that is not a backpack.

So yes, despawning does work, however it does NOT seem to work in the following scenario: you pick up a new shirt and just drag it over your guy, having your old shirt replace the one found. Those kind of shirts tend to stay and block the respawning of anything.

Same seems to go for anything dropped in spawn zones really. So dont drop your stuff in a house if you ever want that house to respawn stuff.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 3

Anyone else experienced this weird bug, that when you are inside a building and you hit a wall with a melee weapon, the doors(mostly outside ones) of the building close? Doesn't work with every building, worked with the log cabin, red brick building and with some green building aswell.

Anyone else experienced this weird bug, that when you are inside a building and you hit a wall with a melee weapon, the doors(mostly outside ones) of the building close? Doesn't work with every building, worked with the log cabin, red brick building and with some green building aswell.

Yeah, happened to me multiple times on Experimental, makes me laugh every time it happens. Sometimes bashing random shit pays off. :lol:
  • Like 1

Let me explain the loot clean up for you. Loot which is spawned in (like in houses, sheds, etc.) doesn't get cleaned up. It stays there until a player picks it up. If the player throws it on the ground it does get cleaned up eventually if it stays untouched.

So loot does not get cleaned up if it spawned in by the server unless it is removed from the original spawn point.

Then explain to me why I have moved 3 items from their original spawn location @ the NWAF and dropped them under trees and in bushes in random locations around the NWAF and they haven't despawned in almost 3 days. Unless someone is running around the forest with their inventory open, they aren't going to find them. I'm 100% sure they have been untouched the entire duration they have been hidden, yet they have not despawned.

Then explain to me why I have moved 3 items from their original spawn location @ the NWAF and dropped them under trees and in bushes in random locations around the NWAF and they haven't despawned in almost 3 days. Unless someone is running around the forest with their inventory open, they aren't going to find them. I'm 100% sure they have been untouched the entire duration they have been hidden, yet they have not despawned.

Well, which items did you drop?

Magazines and guns will stay around for a long time.

So don't know if I'm just being dumb but I tried to fill my truck worth gas and the canister remains at 67%???

I think Dudester reported this in 0.58 Exp.

If that's accurate (and it sure seems like you're right), that's horrible.  That means eventually, the world will be full of useless loot.

Well, which items did you drop?

One of the new barracks had like 15 hats laying on the ground so I grabbed one of those, a weapon flashlight and a damaged AK handguard that I had been carrying around with me for a while. Almost 3 days later and they are all three still laying on the ground near the bushes/trees I left them sitting beside.

Anyone else had a primary dissappear when swapping for shouldered weapon?

Yes, I've lost a couple weapons this way. I think you can drag your shouldered weapon to your hands while double carrying and it works fine, dragging your carried weapon to your shoulder you have a high chance of losing it.

It's not something that I want to test with guns I want to keep, but I plan on testing a little if I find an extra sporter or crossbow or something. Lost a carbine last night to this, not that I had any ammo for it but still. 

I want to say the cleanup isn't functioning 100% any crafting waste or stuff you can put into the world from nothing like sticks, fish guts, harvested seeds seems to be getting cleaned up, discarded found loot does not or not yet. I'm watching a discarded item that's been down since Wednesday afternoon/evening and going to check it tomorrow evening to see if 3 days has any magic to it.

The initial loot put into the system seems like a lot less than we saw in exp and I'm not seeing the same respawn rate hanging out in SE corner that I did in any of the exp builds.

One thing I do if I'm going to stay in an area is turning every piece of clothing that I can into rags, then into rope and I'm not seeing the clothing get replaced in my area anywhere close to the rate I'm getting rid of it.

Civilian guns at least in the Tulga/Skalatisy area are not spawning or respawning anywhere close to what I was seeing in exp either.   

I created a bug report on this issue today after reading a couple posts on reddit with the same kind of experience with item cleanup, and seeing similar things myself. You should add your information to it if you have a minute :)

https://feedback.dayz.com/view.php?id=27433

• Like 3

Same goes for basically any clothing container that is not a backpack.

So yes, despawning does work, however it does NOT seem to work in the following scenario: you pick up a new shirt and just drag it over your guy, having your old shirt replace the one found. Those kind of shirts tend to stay and block the respawning of anything.

Same seems to go for anything dropped in spawn zones really. So dont drop your stuff in a house if you ever want that house to respawn stuff.

Good observation, it's one of the things that I was thinking to test today to add to the bug report.

I don't think the game can tell the difference between something dropped vs something spawned in if it's sitting right by a spawn point. I'm guessing all item spawn points have a small radius and anything inside that is excluded from the cleanup script. Would explain the obviously dropped items sitting in deer stands & police stations (and other spots, those are the most obvious though) for days on end.

If that's accurate (and it sure seems like you're right), that's horrible.  That means eventually, the world will be full of useless loot.

Yeah, definitely something that needs to be looked at. Players shouldn't have to consciously recycle in a zombie apocolypse!

Edited by Emmortal
  • Like 1

Interesting, so something dropped within a spawn point radius does not get cleaned up as far as we can tell. Ok I'll buy that. Makes sense depending on how they coded the clean-up script. Clothing (containers) appear to despawn ok outside spawn points. Regular items though (knives, food, accessories, etc) still appear to be bugged though in some instances. Is it just players traveling through an area frequently refreshing the timer on them? Or is it something else? We must investigate further. Unfortunately I won't be able to till tomorrow evening. Keep the info coming guys. :) 

• Like 2

Add to this the fact that Hicks says items in camps count towards the CLE and we have a recipe for dead servers within a week or two. At some point, the only way to find what you need will be to find and raid camps.

knifes should definitely despawn and I am pretty sure accessories and food do indeed despawn if carried outside of a spawnpoint and being dropped anywhere.

Two things really still bother me tho, has anyone laid their hands on an AKM and how is it now after the supposed tweaks? I cant for the love of me find AKM mags or the gun itself.

Second thing being I am wondering if anyone else actually managed to color the Leather Sack? Maybe it was just a bug for me due to the laggyness of the camp. I guess noone else tried.. :(
I have literally in my 1000h of playtime seen exactly 0 people carrying taht thing anyway, but I really want to try the brown version as a dark alterantive to the improvised backpack (since for whatever reason burlap sacks cannot be painted green).

Edited by jayfkay