Sign in to follow this  
Dan92Nor

What is a average pc these days?

What is exactly an average gaming computer these days?

I'm using a 5 year old computer, but still i play most games at acceptable fps i think.

But offcourse not new games at max graphics.

Is it really worth upgrading at the moment or is it best to wait?

This is what im using

Two AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB in Crossfire

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor

8 GB RAM 

Monitor: LG 27" 1920 * 1080

What an “average gaming computer” is honestly does not matter.

You should build a computer based entirely on your needs. For example, I am guessing you are wondering if your computer can run DayZ well. It all depends on what you are comparing it to and what kind of resolution and graphical setting you want to play it on.

For example, if you want to play in 1080p, with 60FPS, check out people who have posted about their builds and what games they can run at what FPS which will give you a rough estimation of what you want. Your question is so vague that it is difficult to even answer. Some don’t mind playing on a laptop, at 1366 x 768 at 50% rendering resolution because they don’t have GPU and may be able to get 20-30 FPS in high pop cities if they have higher priced components (That’s what I used to do, and that’s why I built my computer).

I encourage others to post their builds so people may compare systems. The most important components to list are the CPU, GPU, and amount of RAM.I play on 1080p resolution and am satisfied wit the performance of the game.

My build is as stated below:

GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0

INTEL I5-4690K

8 x2 GB DDR3 RAM

MSI Z97 GAMING -5

120GB SSD SAMSUNG EVO

PSU 620 BRONZE 80+ HCG

SPEC-02 CASE

Edited by TerribleTomato

What is exactly an average gaming computer these days?

I'm using a 5 year old computer, but still i play most games at acceptable fps i think.

But offcourse not new games at max graphics.

Is it really worth upgrading at the moment or is it best to wait?

This is what im using

Two AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB in Crossfire

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor

8 GB RAM 

Monitor: LG 27" 1920 * 1080

Thats not a bad little machine at all, the cpu may be starting to show its age though.

Hello there

LG TV's are nice as monitors. Mine gets blurry though through my HDMI port.

My rig is an ooooold I7 930@2.8ghz

a 7850 and a 7870 (thanks Kichi (not b@ker but Kichi)

24gm Ram (I had an opportunity to but another 12gb (at a slightly slower mhz) at a hugely reduced price. Old RAM is cheap RAM.

it still runs everything I need it to run at an acceptable rate.

Arma 3 can be a chore if I add in any decent mods or in large battles. but for my CAD work its fine.

I will need to upgrade soon if I want to keep up, but who knows when?

Rdgs

LoK

Start off I'm not bragging But I do like to show it off:

Intel i7-3930 k Overclocked to 4.5GHz with CM Nepton 280mm radiator

16gb DDR3 1600mhz (Buying new ram soon)

ASUS X79 Deluxe Motherboard

3TB + 1TB HDD and 500gb SSD

Blu-Ray Drive

R9 FURY X

All in a Coolermaster Haf-X

Since I bought the Fury X I had to buy a higher resolution monitor. So I went with ASUS IPS 2560 x 1440

Edited by Jacobahalls

Average can mean a lot of different things to a bunch of different people. Is mine average? I didn't go SLI but I didn't exactly hold back either.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170

i7-6700K Skylake

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series RAM:16GB  

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti w/ACX 2.0+

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 

Seems like the steam FPS counter is stuck at 60 fps, rarely displays anything else. All settings maxed out. Does Dayz have a FPS cap setting?

EDIT: Derp. vsync. I'll try it again when I get home.

Edited by danfinger

I'd say an "average" pc build these days (if you can even define an "average" gaming pc) on the intel + nvidia side (I don't understand the AMD numbers yet. I'm a little shaky on intel/nvidia too) would be...

2-5th gen I5 or I7 (Skylakes going to start creeping in here as it gets cheaper/more available)

8GB+ of DDR3 ram (DDR4 with Skylake cpus)

A GTX 660-780 GPU (some 970's might sneak in here)

Whatever Mobo fits what you have and has what you want

Decent air or AIO water cooling (eg Corsair H100i ish)

PSU that runs the hardware and doesn't break the bank.

SSD as OS & select games with maybe a HDD for extra storage.

EDIT: Actually this is possibly over "average" by a bit. Don't really look at other people's builds often enough.

Edited by Dchil

I'd say an "average" pc build these days (if you can even define an "average" gaming pc) on the intel + nvidia side (I don't understand the AMD numbers yet. I'm a little shaky on intel/nvidia too) would be...

2-5th gen I5 or I7 (Skylakes going to start creeping in here as it gets cheaper/more available)

EDIT: Actually this is possibly over "average" by a bit. Don't really look at other people's builds often enough.

I am not sure any cooler beyond the stock cooler for the CPU should be considered for an average build. What would be people be doing other than overclocking that would overheat the processor that much? I'm assuming the average person isn't overclocking.

I run an i7 3770, play games, do video rendering sometimes. The temperatures stay in very safe ranges from what I can tell and I just have the stock cooler.

Other than that I think you've given a pretty decent range for CPUs and GPUs and everything else for a pretty "average" build. I would never have a new build without at least a small SSD to run the operating system! They're at a price now that it's worth the upgrade and it's probably the single most noticeable change to a computer that people can make.

I am not sure any cooler beyond the stock cooler for the CPU should be considered for an average build. What would be people be doing other than overclocking that would overheat the processor that much? I'm assuming the average person isn't overclocking.

I run an i7 3770, play games, do video rendering sometimes. The temperatures stay in very safe ranges from what I can tell and I just have the stock cooler.

Other than that I think you've given a pretty decent range for CPUs and GPUs and everything else for a pretty "average" build. I would never have a new build without at least a small SSD to run the operating system! They're at a price now that it's worth the upgrade and it's probably the single most noticeable change to a computer that people can make.

Intel's stopped throwing in stock coolers with the K series Skylakes (Might have started before this) and I'm in Australia. Even if I ran a non-oc cpu I'd be looking at aftermarket cooling as it can get over 40 degrees Celsius here. Don't want my Idle temps to match people's loaded temps.

I'm planning on running a Noctua NH-D15 for when I eventually build my PC. With a I5-6600k but I'll be overclocking (Eventually) and in the summer my room can get to 40+ degrees with no AC available.

Edited by Dchil

Intel's stopped throwing in stock coolers with the K series Skylakes (Might have started before this) and I'm in Australia. Even if I ran a non-oc cpu I'd be looking at aftermarket cooling as it can get over 40 degrees Celsius here. Don't want my Idle temps to match people's loaded temps.

I'm planning on running a Noctua NH-D15 for when I eventually build my PC. With a I5-6600k but I'll be overclocking (Eventually) and in the summer my room can get to 40+ degrees with no AC available.

Ooooh kk in those contexts it makes sense! 

Pretty much this. This kind of a build is pretty norm in these days if you've Intel+nVidia buils and these days usually recommended system requirements have these components. Soon there has been 5 years of CPUs where not much of improvements have happened. Almost everyone has something between 600-900 series of GPUs and then at least 8GBs of 1600MHz RAM. SSDs are also very common. Also it's pretty norm to get aftermarket CPU cooler at some point.

Ooooh kk in those contexts it makes sense! 

Yep. This is also why I'll be running a full case of Linus Tech edition Noctua fans. (Antec 300).

CPU needs all the help it can get to stay cool during summer.

An average build will depend on your budget, intended lifetime and use for the PC but the above advice has been spot on. Perhaps elaborate on these things and we may be able to aid you better?

The two builds in my sig can run pretty much any game on max settings on two Dell U2412M @ 1920 x 1200 but will not break the bank when considering the other options on the market. And those really won't give you much noticeable performance difference unless you are playing at 4k - very few games are actually properly optimised for 4k so far anyway. The i5 does need a little bit of an overclock on some occasions to achieve this but if you can sacrifice AA then you probably get away without it and without noticing any difference between the two CPUs. Although the OC'd i5 blows the FX 8350 out of the water in the 4-5Ghz range. Beyond that the FX takes over again, but you need seriously cooling at this stage. 

---

From your build you could easily salvage your Xfire GPUs, RAM and monitor and just invest in a newer Intel processor, a 4690(k if you wish) is a nice entry level top end CPU and the accompanying motherboards are quite cheap. If your current motherboard has AM3+ compatibility you could go cheaper with the AMD FX-8350/70 and not have to invest in a new motherboard then.

I agree on aftermarket cooling as above mentioned and will add that it extends the life of your hardware and if you play any long stretches of gaming you will appreciate that. However, the stock intel coolers will keep you going for years with no worries as long as you don't overclock and maintain your case relatively dust free and organised -  overclock shouldn't be really necessary for a good while yet. Though this advice may differ in really hot climates. 

EDIT: If you want I can sell you the i5 below as I'm building a 980ti Skylake at the moment so won't have any use for it soon anyway.  :P

Edited by Konfucious K