S3V3N

Supressing voice-chat outside of Dayz (Skype, Mumble, TS3, etc.)

I wonder, if there is a way to somehow supress any voice-chat, except the one in-game. Or at least make visible that players are using voice-chat outside of the game. The other option would be to have the ingame voice on "always send", so that whatever you say can be heard by people around you, too. That could lead to serious feedback loops though, especially for people playing on speakers. 

The reason I ask is, because I would like to see a few servers that don't allow outside options for players to group up. I want all of this to happen on the spot, on the server and not offline and on recruitment forums. I also think this would make things much more hardcore and realistic, because irl I would hear what they are planning and shouting at each other, too. Would be interesting to know, if this could be supressed somehow. Even if only on a few servers, I think this could make the game and attitude towards kos quite different. 

• Like 3

Only if players have Windows 10, then it is possible to block everything I guess.

Nothing keeps me away from opening a skype call on my phone and talking there.

Or my second computer

Or my tablet

Or my walkie talkie (lol)

Yeah, It's annoying, but It can't be done.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 5

What if I'm part of a LAN party?  What if my teammate is in the same room?

It would be a cool concept but it would be a waste of development time due to the fact anyone can bypass it. It would just come down to the honor system at that point.

how would two people in a house communicate without someone outside hearing everything they are saying? It is unrealistic from both angles... I just assume TS and the like are the "private" conversations people have. The in game is for the general communication with other people outside of your party.

If there was a party creation system and a speak only to teammates option, then you could cut down on the use of TS. The problem lies with there is only one way to use in game chat, all or nothing.

What if I'm part of a LAN party?  What if my teammate is in the same room?

That is alright, because it is not going to be happening that often. I mean, one purpose of the walkie-talkies is going to be the ability to have private communications. People in the direct vicinity will still hear those, though. However, on Skype you can go completely silent, giving an advantage to the players using it; an advantage all the ingame speech mechanics are trying to avoid. But as long as we can still use TS3 and the likes, the radios and private channels make a lot less sense. I still think they have some use for getting random people talking to each other, though.

Maybe there will be servers that simply recommend using in-game speech only. If people would accept that and nobody tries to take advantage of it (by using Skype with friends anyway), then gameplay on these servers could benefit from it; especially for solo players. It is okay the way it is, but most of the time I feel Skype takes away from the game, more than it offers. Because, for me, it ruins the atmosphere or Dayz when people are constantly talking. It also messes with the sounds quite a bit.    

That is alright, because it is not going to be happening that often. I mean, one purpose of the walkie-talkies is going to be the ability to have private communications. People in the direct vicinity will still hear those, though. However, on Skype you can go completely silent, giving an advantage to the players using it; an advantage all the ingame speech mechanics are trying to avoid. But as long as we can still use TS3 and the likes, the radios and private channels make a lot less sense. I still think they have some use for getting random people talking to each other, though.

Maybe there will be servers that simply recommend using in-game speech only. If people would accept that and nobody tries to take advantage of it (by using Skype with friends anyway), then gameplay on these servers could benefit from it; especially for solo players. It is okay the way it is, but most of the time I feel Skype takes away from the game, more than it offers. Because, for me, it ruins the atmosphere or Dayz when people are constantly talking. It also messes with the sounds quite a bit.    

I played on an RP server where they had some rules for TS they had one and it was treated like a radio If your friend wasn't around then you weren't supposed to use it even if your in the same channel in combat or in a player interaction you had to use VOIP. it was sort of an honor system and was wierd getting used to but I will say it made things alot more intense especially when i seen a person and i'm trying to tell my buddy through voip without alerting the unknown player that he's there. I noticed most folks would follow the rules most wouldn't be grimey was cool i heard a lot of crazy shit from players just from gander necking. server was chenarus RP.com should check it out they have a steam group good bunch of folks the admin also create characters that cause trouble in factions to spice things up on most RP server things can get stale where folks are too friendly sometimes.  

• Like 1

You won't be able to stop third party communication.  It's just a fact of the 21st century and video games.

• Like 1

Your search for the term third party comms returned 95 results

For example this one.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/186362-can-nothing-be-done-about-metagaming-in-dayz/?hl=%2Bthird+%2Bparty+%2Bcomms

Short answer: If the game was somehow preventing you to run/suppressing other programs running on your system it would basically become malware.

• Like 3

Your search for the term third party comms returned 95 results

For example this one.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/186362-can-nothing-be-done-about-metagaming-in-dayz/?hl=%2Bthird+%2Bparty+%2Bcomms

Short answer: If the game was somehow preventing you to run/suppressing other programs running on your system it would basically become malware.

I read some of it, quite a lot actually. Thread is over a year old, so it still stands, why this question can't be answered in a satisfactory way. I understand VOIP, it makes total sense in Battlefield and other competitive shooters. It's not an unfair advantage there. However, in Day it is. Example: I met two guys at the airfield, while I was in the hangar. I didn't know it was two at first. When he couldn't shoot me and I hit him with the 9mm, one of them retreated. While I heard him bandaging, I explained that I have nothing on me, except the pistol and we should each just go our own ways. While I was doing that, he told his buddy to sneak around to my other exit and they effectively blocked both exits for me. And dead. If he would have been forced to communicate openly, I would have reacted differently and taken him out while bandaging and would then only have to deal with his friend. But this way, people lie on one channel and make schemes on the other.

How often do we hear "friendly, friendly", when they are actually planning on Skype to kill you. It is the total noob encouragement to be able to use 3rd party comms and it strips the game of what most players are looking for: realistic encounters that demand from the player to use common sense and evaluate all information to form a decision that will safe his butt. We can't do that when someone can literally talk double tongued. Of course, people could still have their codes and do the opposite of what they say, but they would surely be making themselves suspicious and would have to be a whole lot smarter than now. At the moment, dumb people are winning the game. Because they are doing what I consider is on the verge of cheating. 

I hope there will be a mod someday that will allow servers to kick people, who use VOIP outside of the inbuild mechanics. I don't care if it borders on spyware, as long as it removes this flaw. I think some good options in the thread you linked have been discussed, but one was never mentioned. Dayz could disable your microphone when you enter a server and only activate it when you push-to-talk. Of course it would mean a short admin privilege message at the start, but then it would be really fair. Because when you use a walkie-talkie or PA ingame you can also be heard by anyone. It should be the same with VOIP, at least on hardcore servers or those with special settings. 

I have nothing against some kids playing it their way. They can keep their TS and bandit clans. But I'd prefer to have some servers that are actually populated by people who want to play the game, as I think it was intended. Because we are the people, who played the mod and we are the ones who supported Dayz before it became a game of selective truth and backstabbing players. If it would be impossible to do, I would not care about it or insist on it. But the way I mentioned it, by muting the mic, unless push-to-talk is active, would not cause any harm and seems no biggie. 

And no, people would not use their phones instead. They can still play their noob hunger games on servers that allow it (as it is now) and leave us grown ups to enjoy our own game. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recent example is perfect to illustrate my point: none of that could have happened if both groups would have had to talk openly:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228270-friendly-my-ass/

And this is what Dayz player interaction looks like these days. There is no denying - and I feel confident about saying it - that people who played the mod and Arma before it don't want this type of interaction. Like I said - two types of servers - to each his own = problem solved! 

Edited by S3V3N

I thought my answer should be satisfactory enough to be perfectly honest. You just can't have a game suppress other programs running on your PC. It's impossible. Well, maybe not impossible, but it's not something a company like BIS can do as it would turn the game into a malware program (like I said).

Even if someone somehow mods such a functionality into the game, I can't imagine it attracting many (if any) players. It would definitely attract huge drama though. Also, I imagine that anti-virus software would go mental over this.

Your example situation can be taken to literally any other game. In Battlefield I can call out the position of the person who killed me to a friend who's on mumble with me who then easily dispatches the foe and revives me. It is exactly the same thing, only there is somewhat less of an impact as in Battlefield/Quake/Counter Strike you get to respawn a few seconds/minutes later 'fully geared', whereas in DayZ it's kind of a bother I suppose, though I would argue it's part of the game and it is the thing that creates the tension the game gives you in firefights.

You simply can't stop people from using 3rd party programs. It's simply not possible/feasible.

• Like 2

The other option would be to have the ingame voice on "always send", so that whatever you say can be heard by people around you, too.

Lol, how could anybody press the physical switch on my microphone or plug the mike at all into my PC unless he enters the room where my PC is?

Really, its such a bullshit thing to do in this game. You are all hidden, a group of people pass by you in absolute silence, where if they were using the ingame chat mechanics they would be doing a shitload of sound. Thats almost cheating tbh, plain bullshit.

Thats why I only "trust" lone wolves. All the rest is KoS with absolute no remorse.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 2

Your example situation can be taken to literally any other game. In Battlefield I can call out the position of the person who killed me to a friend who's on mumble with me who then easily dispatches the foe and revives me. It is exactly the same thing, only there is somewhat less of an impact as in Battlefield/Quake/Counter Strike you get to respawn a few seconds/minutes later 'fully geared', whereas in DayZ it's kind of a bother I suppose, though I would argue it's part of the game and it is the thing that creates the tension the game gives you in firefights.

You are missing the point here. In any other game, just "walking the other way" isn't an option. Dayz is not a competitive shooter, it is a survival game with realistic shooting mechanics. I don't see why the mic in dayz can't be tied to the push-to-talk button. I don't think that is really a big deal and it would more or less just require the user to accept certain server settings. Your mic simply won't work, unless it goes through Dayz's push-to-talk button first.

You are missing the point here. In any other game, just "walking the other way" isn't an option. Dayz is not a competitive shooter, it is a survival game with realistic shooting mechanics. I don't see why the mic in dayz can't be tied to the push-to-talk button. I don't think that is really a big deal and it would more or less just require the user to accept certain server settings. Your mic simply won't work, unless it goes through Dayz's push-to-talk button first.

Surely there are other survival games like this.

You don't seem to understand the implications of what you're saying. How is DayZ going to prevent any and all microphone input without the push to talk button being pressed? That IS a rather big deal.

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 1

Surely there are other survival games like this.

You don't seem to understand the implications of what you're saying. How is DayZ going to prevent any and all microphone input without the push to talk button being pressed? That IS a rather big deal.

That's true, but Bohemia coders figured out how to make left ctrl do something else than right ctrl. I have faith :)!

Blasphemy! There are no other survival games like Dayz! ;)

I think someone else said lan, so yeah. I look over my left shoulder and I can see juniors screen ten feet away he looks over his and can see mine, we don't even have to raise our voices to talk across the map and no software can block sound in my living/game room.

You guys really need to stop bringing this up. It's not that big of a deal. It's never going to be fixed.

My wife sits right beside me during our gaming sessions. Skype is on every tablet and smart phone on the planet, and failing that, you could still use a telephone (crazy, right?) to call a buddy.

Just accept it and move on. Pretend that those who are using third party VoIP programs are communicating via radio, and that they're speaking too low for you to hear.

• Like 6

You just can't have a game suppress other programs running on your PC. It's impossible. Well, maybe not impossible, but it's not something a company like BIS can do as it would turn the game into a malware program (like I said).

Of course BattleEye can prevent DayZ from running if certain other programs are running at the same time - in fact, it already does that right now. Malware is a program that causes damage to your computer, so that has nothing to with it. Though it sounds like too much work to maintain a list of all third party programs and block them.

Not sure if "all mics always on" is a good solution... But i guess it could be a nice server-option, even if there's no way to enforce ingame communication 100%.

Edited by derLoko

just use your imagination and assume that they have an earpiece and microphone set plugged in to their face in game.

Presto, you're fighting soldiers of fortune.

GOOD LUCK!

just use your imagination and assume that they have an earpiece and microphone set plugged in to their face in game.

Presto, you're fighting soldiers of fortune.

GOOD LUCK!

NOD cyborgs everywhere! No flinch when they take a bullet to the chest, and now high tech communication systems built inside their heads!

cy_01.jpg

At least their built in zoom system (fov exploit) was nerfed!

Edited by Avant-Garde

Don't get me wrong,it would be cool but unfortunately just not feasible.

People would rebel against the idea of having the game monitor whether you're using 3rd party communication software.

If such actions were to take place,they would accuse the game of violating their personal privacy.

Also like a lot other said,this would prove uneffective.

Take me for example,i may be Greek but i still got 2 computers in my home.

What could stop me from using the Desktop PC for DayZ,while simultaneously chatting with my friends from my laptop?

Exploits like this,are nothing new to the gaming world and unfortunately there is no viable solution other than learn to deal with it.

I think OP should join a serious role-playing clan. Only way to achieve in-game coms only is, as someone said, by the honor system ands like minded players.