S3V3N

Supressing voice-chat outside of Dayz (Skype, Mumble, TS3, etc.)

What do you mean with "pass through sound"?

Some earbuds are designed to allow sound to pass through them. I guess the technical term would be that they allow ambient noise. You want to use such earbuds when you do things like bike, jog, walk or otherwise need to monitor the sounds around you, but also want to listen to music.

It's true, some people will set up their smartphones to use them for communication - but it's kind of a hassle and not much fun to play that way. The majority of griefers hopefully won't bother and will simply play on regular servers instead, and admins can try to filter out the rest. That's the whole point.

If there is no deterrent to griefing at all, tho... have fun being an admin dealing with all the griefers on an "ingame comms only"-server.

This isn't griefing. Poor terminology you have chosen. Griefing would be doing something in game to specifically annoy or bother someone. This would be more of an exploit. Griefing would be doing something like training an entire area of mobs onto someone or like my friend did when EQ first came out and you could steal from mobs which also meant you could access their inventory and put things in it.... like weapons and armor that was then equipped and he equipped every skeleton in the newbie area with high level gear.

You have basically supported the basics of my argument. It is an UNENFORCEABLE rule. There are too many EASY ways to work around it to every really enforce it. I've actually done the phone thing before when I had a headset with a broken mic. It took me all of the time it took to download a Mumble App and put in the server address and password to get it functioning well. Hardly a detriment.

That is exactly my point - I want friends to use in-game voice, as if they were actually in the place together. With Skype or other VOIPs it is like you are in Dayz and at the same time in a chat room. Not only does it take away from the immersion into the game and makes most people constantly chatter (missing the finer sound cues, like a truck driving in the distance, or faint echoes of shots fired), but it also is just giving them an advantage over players who meet ingame and use ingame chat. I don't give my Skype details to every nutter I meet in Dayz, and I don't wanna join yet another password protected Teamspeak server.

Even the walkie-talkies in-game don't mute you to players in the vicinity. Because it would be unfair, if nobody can hear you speak outside of Dayz. So why is it fair to use Skype? I have nothing against 2-3 people sitting in the same room and playing together. That's actually awesome. I let them have their advantage. But I can't stand the thought of groups larger than 5 that are completely silenced, even though they are constantly talking. One advantage of the solo player over large groups is that he only needs to coordinate himself. So he can actually stand a chance, if he knows what they are doing.

"Cut him off left" he screams, and I careen off the hill to my right to forfeit that plan. You can act only, if you have information.

Okay, so let's presume it is impossible to block players access from VOIP, even if only on selective servers. How about showing visually that they are running third party VOIP software? The game should be able to detect, if someone is running Skype or TS3 in the background, right? That's a small addition to Battleeye. So then, players who use it could be shown wearing a headset with big bulky ear cups that are easy to spot. The kind that pilots wear. That would at least tell us who we are dealing with and it would make it easier to tell if a guy is actually alone or has his friend waiting for him (or for you) around the corner.

I don't want to spoil anyones fun, but Skype users are spoiling my fun, so it's not unreasonable to at least discuss a solution. If supression is not wanted or needed, then at least make recognition an option, please! Alternatively, why shouldn't it be possible that your mic is muted, until you press caps-lock in Dayz? That way you would be heard in global chat as well as on your TS. Only problem I see here is it completely defies the use of TS or Skype and people would only use global then anyway.

Are you literally autistic?

The "makes people constantly chatter" line shows me that you want more then a video game, you want a simulation. Well, fuck that noise, I want to play a game with friends and have fun doing it. Having fun with friends involves a lot of bullshitting and talking, because that's what socially healthy people do when they're hanging the fuck out. So, what are you proposing, we drop our talks and discussions and fun so it isn't unfair for folks who are getting flanked by coordinated groups? That's bullshit and you know it. This is a video game. Find a serious RP server if you want this shit.

You're not the center of the game, either. I'd rather have the fun of people like you spoiled then literally everyone else playing the game. What you ask for is an easily bypassed invasion of privacy that does nothing but make this game inconvenient for the masses currently enjoying it.

• Like 1

Why do you guys want to constantly chat to each other anyway. Press a goddamn button, if you have something to say, if not stfu.

Because we have friends and we want to be social with our friends, have you ever had any fucking friends?

Because we have friends and we want to be social with our friends, have you ever had any fucking friends?

Agreed, The only reason I even play dayz is because I have rl friends I hang out with ingame and in teamspeak. and everyday i come on the forums I see someone suggesting something just for the sake of "immersion" or "realism" to make it more difficult if not impossible to just chill and have fun with friends after working all day. I mean seriously it is still just a game

• Like 1

The "makes people constantly chatter" line shows me that you want more then a video game, you want a simulation. Well, fuck that noise, I want to play a game with friends and have fun doing it. Having fun with friends involves a lot of bullshitting and talking, because that's what socially healthy people do when they're hanging the fuck out. So, what are you proposing, we drop our talks and discussions and fun so it isn't unfair for folks who are getting flanked by coordinated groups? That's bullshit and you know it. This is a video game. Find a serious RP server if you want this shit.

You're not the center of the game, either. I'd rather have the fun of people like you spoiled then literally everyone else playing the game. What you ask for is an easily bypassed invasion of privacy that does nothing but make this game inconvenient for the masses currently enjoying it.

So, anyone that doesn't want the same as what you want is autistic? I mean, the idea of blocking 3rd party comms is a bit of a stretch but your egocentric bullshit post could go without the passive-aggressive attitude.

• Like 1

I would welcome a simple function to mute some of players in-game. That way i could be using both third party comm software (which is something that can't be avoided) and still have the communication audible in game. We tried this already (having Skype and in-game comm on the same push-to-talk button) in a group, but it causes very annoying echo (everything is heard twice)...

Imho the only other possibility is to spawn every player with a walkie-talkie so people won't have to use the third party programs. (Would be solution at least for those players that don't want to exploit third party comm app)

I would welcome a simple function to mute some of players in-game. That way i could be using both third party comm software (which is something that can't be avoided) and still have the communication audible in game. We tried this already (having Skype and in-game comm on the same push-to-talk button) in a group, but it causes very annoying echo (everything is heard twice)...

Imho the only other possibility is to spawn every player with a walkie-talkie so people won't have to use the third party programs. (Would be solution at least for those players that don't want to exploit third party comm app)

You can mute people by opening the player list (P) and then selecting the mute option. Means you don't hear their voice over direct which sounds like the exact thing you wanted for this situation.

I agree, please block all VOIP, and make the microphone constantly on!

Everyone in my group has a microphone with a mute button and another device with TS on it, so we'd still be able to chat over Teamspeak like we do now, but we'd have a huge advantage over everyone else. It's be great. Please do this asap. Thanks.

• Like 1

So, anyone that doesn't want the same as what you want is autistic? I mean, the idea of blocking 3rd party comms is a bit of a stretch but your egocentric bullshit post could go without the passive-aggressive attitude.

No, anyone that wants to block out the ability to socialize while playing a video game is autistic, the idea is literally autistic. I can't fathom how this guy could have friends he plays games with while suggesting that we block out VOIP and that we play the game with our mouths zipped, shutting the fuck up for what can be 6 to 8 hour sessions. Talking and chatting is something you do with friends, why should it be paused to play a game like DayZ, just so a handful of salty lonewolfs can feel just a bit safer?

No, anyone that wants to block out the ability to socialize while playing a video game is autistic, the idea is literally autistic. I can't fathom how this guy could have friends he plays games with while suggesting that we block out VOIP and that we play the game with our mouths zipped, shutting the fuck up for what can be 6 to 8 hour sessions. Talking and chatting is something you do with friends, why should it be paused to play a game like DayZ, just so a handful of salty lonewolfs can feel just a bit safer?

Little offended here... Autistic people still have friends. Racial, sexists, and other stereotype bashing is not allowed on the forum.

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 2

In the Mod days, we had running ACRE on our Servers and everyone who wasnt in our channel was kicked. But i know you can bypass it by using skype the telephone... We knew everyone and trusted them, it was pretty cool but after a while the server was just too empty and boring.

Little offended here... Autistic people still have friends. Racial, sexists, and other stereotype bashing is not allowed on the forum.

Yeah, and I know plenty of autistic people who understand this and have friends, but a few I know on the higher functioning side of things have trouble understanding the social aspect of games like this. I just want to know if that's the case, if the guy behind this stupid ass idea doesn't have a social understanding of how playing video games with friends work.

Also, I don't care if you're offended. The idea of getting offended over stupid shit is eating away at communities across the world, and the faster you toughen up in this world and learn that not everyone should have a filter, the better. I can get your point and I know that it might seem rude or brash, but its the word that first came to mind and I'm going to use it.

The idea of getting offended over stupid shit is eating away at communities across the world...

It's not getting offended over "stupid shit" it is getting offended over an ignorant stereotype you presented. If you associate with autistics then you should already know what you said was a stupid generalization that lumps them all into one group and accentuates some of the more negative qualities of the stereotype. In other words you should know better and have better social graces than that when specifically talking about a group of people and insinuation they have no social graces. It's actually irony. 

• Like 3

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately, and this is one reason why consoles will provide a "truer" experience. Sure, a person could still use 3rd party comms, but it isn't something that most console players would even think about, let alone act upon. 

The only way I could see 3rd party comms use being lessened is if

A - the major voip services agreed to not let their programs run concurrently with DayZ (unprecedented and simply not happening)

or

B - the designers come up with a way to make in-game comms attractive or essential enough that not using them becomes a detriment to the experience.

B could happen but that would take some real ingenuity and I'm not sure that BI even views this as enough of an issue to devote money and man hours to it. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately, and this is one reason why consoles will provide a "truer" experience. Sure, a person could still use 3rd party comms, but it isn't something that most console players would even think about, let alone act upon. 

The only way I could see 3rd party comms use being lessened is if

A - the major voip services agreed to not let their programs run concurrently with DayZ (unprecedented and simply not happening)

or

B - the designers come up with a way to make in-game comms attractive or essential enough that not using them becomes a detriment to the experience.

B could happen but that would take some real ingenuity and I'm not sure that BI even views this as enough of an issue to devote money and man hours to it. 

Yeah, I know Dark Souls or Demon Souls went as far as to not allow it on console.

B. Seems like they are going to try with "Advanced Communication". Not sure it will work, but still will add to the game.

Yeah, I know Dark Souls or Demon Souls went as far as to not allow it on console.

B. Seems like they are going to try with "Advanced Communication". Not sure it will work, but still will add to the game.

Yeah maybe. I never played those games tbh, but I remember one of the older CoD titles had lobbies that disallowed XBL parties while playing in it. Not sure if they still do that or not. Anyway, BI could easily disallow it for DayZ and provide the experience as they intended. 

• Like 1

There is no way to stop the workarounds. That alone makes this discussion a pointless waste of time.

You can mute people by opening the player list (P) and then selecting the mute option. Means you don't hear their voice over direct which sounds like the exact thing you wanted for this situation.

Whoa, many thanks for the tip, i must have completely missed it then!

TS, and other like it, is 3rd party software that gives you an advantage over other players making it a cheat. No way to stop it though. Most players are cheaters ;)

Using only in game comms is more fun & challenging imo. Most players will always take the easy way out?

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

Hello there

Two things.

1. We mods also do not like lazy stereotypes. Dont do it.

2. folk are getting far too heated in this thread. Calm it down.

Rgds

LoK