BCBasher

Refurbed a laptop for the kids, random black screen crashes.

I got a older HP laptop from my brother that was all virused up for the kids to play on so they'd leave my wife's alone. I formatted and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it and it'll play DayZ alright for 10-45min before it seems to go into sleep mode. I've updated all the drivers and such as best I could and everything seems fine, it'll sit there all day idling in windows. When plugged in the screensaver and power management are disabled or on high performance.  

The only weird thing I noticed is obviously the battery is pooched so it always stays plugged in but the power icon in the task bar always says 77% charged, plugged in, not charging and if you unplug it, it shuts down immediately.

Anyone else tried this or seen this problem? 

Ive seen the battery problem. My brother shared such problem. The battery is just shot and needs replacing. As for the sleep mode, unsure. What happens before, does is it just go into sleep mode or is there any sort of prior idling? 

EDIT: When it goes into sleep mode, what happens? I am unfamiliar with HP's version of "sleep mode" Im assuming the screen just goes black and you move the mouse to get it back?

Edited by Jfiles
  • Like 1

It's probably overheating and is shutting itself down to save itself.

• Like 2

Hello there

You have looked at the win7 power settings? That can stop the system sleeping.

The battery just needs replacing IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Ive seen the battery problem. My brother shared such problem. The battery is just shot and needs replacing. As for the sleep mode, unsure. What happens before, does is it just go into sleep mode or is there any sort of prior idling? 

EDIT: When it goes into sleep mode, what happens? I am unfamiliar with HP's version of "sleep mode" Im assuming the screen just goes black and you move the mouse to get it back?

No, it's stays frozen and need a restart.

It's probably overheating and is shutting itself down to save itself.

Thinking it might be this, came from a house with 2 cats and 3 dogs so maybe a good dusting and double checking the video drivers are up to date might be in order.

Hello there

You have looked at the win7 power settings? That can stop the system sleeping.

The battery just needs replacing IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

Set the power options to high performance while plugged in, was planning on keeping it plugged in.

I'll have to try it myself and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary, just the results from a quick test last night to see if it would even play DayZ.

You can get a few simple Temp recording programs and see whats going on. If its overheating damage may have already occurred. But hey, its an HP. They'll overheat like its nothing. My very old HP laptop had the same problem. Nothing a simple fan close by can help. And as you mentioned a good dusting.

• Like 1

You can get a few simple Temp recording programs and see whats going on. If its overheating damage may have already occurred. But hey, its an HP. They'll overheat like its nothing. My very old HP laptop had the same problem. Nothing a simple fan close by can help. And as you mentioned a good dusting.

My missus' hp did the same thing, a brand new fan was in order.

Haven't got around to checking yet but chances are it'll be stationary and hooked to an HD TV or bigger monitor so I'll rig up a box underneath it with some desktop 12v or 110v muffin fans to get some decent airflow and even strip some of the plastic off it if I have to.

That was the one thing junior noticed is "this thing's getting real hot", that and it started doing it more frequently as we kept trying so I think that might be the problem.  

-Snip-

Laptops generally do get hot. But overheating is starting to seem more apparent. Like said, best bet rig a fan and run the programs. If it reaches high temps. Then u best figure a way to keep it as cool as possible.  

Hello there

Dont be afraid to take her apart and clean that dust outa the fans.

There will be guides online.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Dont be afraid to take her apart and clean that dust outa the fans.

There will be guides online.

Rgds

LoK

I was that kid who took my new Christmas toys apart within hours of getting them, eventually my parents started just giving me a set of jewelers screwdrivers in my stocking to make it easier. By 12 I could put stuff back together consistently, in my early 20s I helped my self to an over run that my new local computer recycling program couldn't securely store and took apart and reassembled a bunch of various generations of PCs. Taking it apart for dusting and possibly modifying the bodywork to improve cooling isn't the least bit daunting to me. 

I was mostly wondering if anyone new specifically about any driver tricks with these damn HPs which see to have some proprietary stuff as far as that goes. My wife's is a Win8 HP that we bought on sale for the hardware and immediately wiped back to a Win7 that doesn't know it's an HP anymore and some drivers were a chore on that one but it works great now.

I'm still a little baffled by the charging icon, will the worn out battery only take 77% or are there drivers required for the charging circuit on the motherboard or something?  

Pulled the bottom hatch and left it off, dusted it out, put double stacked felt furniture pads to lift it a half inch off the desk and just did a 3 hour session no problem. Found the sweet spot in the settings to get it playable so the kids are happy and the wife is happy.

Did all the trouble shooting I could find for the battery and think it's toast but as we'll be leaving it plugged in it's fine. 

• Like 1