Sign in to follow this  
xCAPx

Houseboats

frt9xb6c.jpg

So I thought about houseboats. I would love to see them in-game, even if they are maybe not so useful like camps inland of Chernarus+.

They should only be craftable, but they should:

- hold ~250items (in boxes or different containers, which you can be placed by your own)
- have an oven inside
- have places for some torches/candles on it

They should only be craftable on the water, this means:

- craft (or find?) a small boat first
- load the materials and tools on it
- build it directly on the ocean (or a big pond):
    - floats und platform
    - anchor (or another heavy object)
    - walls
    - roof
    - ofen, containers and little attachments

- the full houseboat should require five full loaded boats or better said five loads of a boat.

It has pros and cons, like everything in DayZ SA.

Pro:

- far away from the coast
- (sea) fishing should be possible
- warmth
- other players can't easily go there and loot it

Contra:

- hard to craft = many items and materials would be required
- it should take much time to craft it = easy target
- flammable
- no drinking water, if you place it on the sea (but you should be able to place it in the middle of e.g. Black Lake, if you want)
- you have to go back to the mainland, because you need resources like fire wood, water, and so on...

more ideas:

- you should be able to tie up 2-4 houseboats = more room and storage
- you could just build the floats and platform and place one big or two medium tents on it
- heavy weather effects like storms (and tsunamis?) - if we get this -, could damage the houseboat = you would lost some items or parts of the boat e.g. roof/wall
- I'm not sure, if it should have an engine? Maybe it should be a static base, not a mobile base
    - maybe you could pull it with 2-3 boats to another place?

Feel free to share your thoughts! If you have more advantages or disadvantages, please make a comment. Thx :)

some examples:

m4djupsq.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting idea, I like it. Balanced in the fact its not a fort, yet still defensible, and not something you can just go quickly run to and hide. Would really like to see this in game.

• Like 1

Good idea but i would rather have the server just have 1 or 2  that players could takeover or inhabit as there own. Otherwise Black Lake will end up looking like this.

boats_zps9i9jpsmp.jpg

as long as they put a border on the map to where you can't just sail your base into the open ocean and it becomes impenetrable. your base should be able to be raided and destroyed so if they add this we need boats for assaults and transport we need ropes so we can tow your base to the shore and loot it and burn it if deem fit. i'm not sure about this idea its cool but it just seems like ti would be abused no base should be invincible and as big as the ocean is on the coast i can see a lot of d-bags exploiting this. and really do we need damn bases on the coast get the fuck off the coast. 

Edited by gannon46

Good idea but i would rather have the server just have 1 or 2  that players could takeover or inhabit as there own. Otherwise Black Lake will end up looking like this.

- was just an idea, it doesn't have to work on Black Lake. I added it just for the logic part; if you can place it in the ocean, why not in a pond or even a river, if it's big enough... ;) But yes, that would be a balance thing. Ocean only is enough for me  :D 

as long as they put a border on the map to where you can't just sail your base into the open ocean and it becomes impenetrable. your base should be able to be raided and destroyed so if they add this we need boats for assaults and transport we need ropes so we can tow your base to the shore and loot it and burn it if deem fit. i'm not sure about this idea its cool but it just seems like ti would be abused no base should be invincible and as big as the ocean is on the coast i can see a lot of d-bags exploiting this. and really do we need damn bases on the coast get the fuck off the coast. 

- to limit the ocean:

- the devs could add a line off buoys along the coast (~2km away from the coast); you couldn't get behind the buoys line, not with a normal boat or the houseboat

- ofc, the devs have to set up the view of lights and objects, than the houseboat would be visible from the coast; +

- later we will get helicopters too, so it wouldn't be a problem to spot houseboats - it would be easier as searching bases in the woods

and

- with houseboats we would have another "end game" feature

Yes, the northern part of Chernarus+ is really nice and made with love, but you don't need to go back to the coast. There is nothing interessting atm (for me), which is sad, because it's really nice there (sunrise!).

Prison and Skalisty Island are beautiful places, but it's (yet) not worth going there most time. If I could place a houseboat between those islands, I would love to paddle with a boat between these places and take a break at the boat base.

and

Thanks for the replies! :)

I think it would balance itself really good.

The "Black Lake situation" would never happen - as soon as one houseboat is built, people will shoot it to pieces and set fire on it. Problem solved.

As for the "ocean problem"; the sea becomes deeper the further you move away from land, so just limit anchors so they don't reach that deep. As soon as you move into deeper water, the houseboat will slowly drift towards land and/or sideways. No need for artificial buoys.

Also, the more you build and the more you store on the houseboat, the more it drags on the anchor - making it harder to keep it in place on a windy day... So if you build a big ass houseboat and store a gazillion weapons and ammos in it, just wait for a rainy and stormy night and it will be gone, flushed up on the cliffs, broken to pieces or sunken.

• Like 1

I think it would balance itself really good.

The "Black Lake situation" would never happen - as soon as one houseboat is built, people will shoot it to pieces and set fire on it. Problem solved.

As for the "ocean problem"; the sea becomes deeper the further you move away from land, so just limit anchors so they don't reach that deep. As soon as you move into deeper water, the houseboat will slowly drift towards land and/or sideways. No need for artificial buoys.

Also, the more you build and the more you store on the houseboat, the more it drags on the anchor - making it harder to keep it in place on a windy day... So if you build a big ass houseboat and store a gazillion weapons and ammos in it, just wait for a rainy and stormy night and it will be gone, flushed up on the cliffs, broken to pieces or sunken.

These are very good ideas! I like them.

And the hoseboats shouldn't be bigger than one of these little wooden shed, which we have in game right now. Better a little bit smaller.

We should be able to spawn at NWAF and then work our way to the coast.

Not a bad idea... This would be one of the only ways to guarantee a safe HQ out of site and mind of other players when out in the middle of the sea you could drop a hypothetical anchor ? and log off ! or if you have no anchor when you log back in you may be a few kilometers away from your previous location :D

• Like 1

I like the idea, but I think it would be better if there was more of an incentive to go out in the ocean like some oil rigs or islands. 

• Like 1