Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Can we agree this is feesable?

Presenting the following model as an example

isUCpo7.png

Do we think with access to dozens of towns and cities a guy could craft/build something like this? As a boy I built nicer stuff than this out of found supplies so I don't see why a grown man/woman could not also.

So If we agree please explain why.

Similarly if we disagree please explain why you think you would not be able to pull it off.

• Like 8

I think you'd need a carpentry skill to do so in game. Maybe that comes with soft skills.

Lord knows I could never build anything like that, but I can fix any car.

Skills will encourage teamwork especially if you need a mechanical aptitude to fix a car, but you're not a mechanic

• Like 2

I think you'd need a carpentry skill to do so in game. Maybe that comes with soft skills.

Lord knows I could never build anything like that, but I can fix any car.

Skills will encourage teamwork especially if you need a mechanical aptitude to fix a car, but you're not a mechanic

This is true, my father was a carpenter so I had a bit of a head start.

Presenting the following model as an example

isUCpo7.png

Do we think with access to dozens of towns and cities a guy could craft/build something like this? As a boy I built nicer stuff than this out of found supplies so I don't see why a grown man/woman could not also.

So If we agree please explain why.

Similarly if we disagree please explain why you think you would not be able to pull it off.

If you can use a hammer, something like that would not be difficult for you to build.

• Like 3

I don't think that shelter would be appropriate for Chernarus tbh. Looks like more of a tropical island type affair. Note the dried leaves/grass that has been used for the walls and roof. I think maybe a more suitable shelter might be constructed from wood/corrugated iron or similar materials. The roof on that hut would collect water!

I'd like to see tarpaulin sheets available to use with rope/sticks/rocks to easily make small 1-2 man shelters.

Something like this http://www.survivalworld.com/shelters/tarps.html#.Vc5Sj5K9KK0

• Like 1

I don't think that shelter would be appropriate for Chernarus tbh. Looks like more of a tropical island type affair. Note the dried leaves/grass that has been used for the walls and roof. I think maybe a more suitable shelter might be constructed from wood/corrugated iron or similar materials. The roof on that hut would collect water!

I'd like to see tarpaulin sheets available to use with rope/sticks/rocks to easily make small 1-2 man shelters.

Something like this http://www.survivalworld.com/shelters/tarps.html#.Vc5Sj5K9KK0

Its thatch, same as this Czech house

dca43bd7-168d-4c73-a6d2-b6e889c097a9_d.J

Thatching is a difficult, time consuming process. Why not use corrugated iron or plastic?

Thatching is a difficult, time consuming process. Why not use corrugated iron or plastic?

Why not?

I wouldn't use iron mostly because it would need to be pulled from some building in a dangerous city it is sharp and could infect you with tetanus it would then need to be hauled miles into the forest to where you intend too build your shelter(not very practical overall), plastic is not very durable and unsustainable. If one had tools and supplies you need not leave the forest to build your shelter. I suppose its the same reasoning as why did they build them years ago, because the materials are sustainable and fairly durable.

Also thatching is not very difficult or all that time consuming. We have been doing it since the bronze age

"It is the most common roofing material in the world, because the materials are readily available.

Because thatch is lighter, less timber is required in the roof that supports it.

Thatch is a versatile material when it comes to covering irregular roof structures. This fact lends itself to the use of second-hand, recycled and natural materials that are not only more sustainable, but need not fit exact standard dimensions to perform well."

Edited by B@ker

Your first picture is more than feesable in DayZ.  Shelters like these honestly do not take much skill to erect, just common sense, and could be made from a variety of material.  Thatching would be doable but it'd be more resource/time consuming than say just finding a bunch of nails and plywood/sheet metal/tarp laying around in the cities (should still be an option for the 'pure' survivalists playstyle, "I made it out of guts, sticks, and grass!").

On a gameplay aspect they'ed have to keep player made buildings small and destructible.  Don't know if you've ever played Star Wars Galaxies, but playerhousing ruined some of the immersion.  You get 1km away from a major city like Mos Esiely or Theed (outside the nobuild zone) and there'd be shittons of small houses cluttering up the landscape acting as player stores or storehouses.  I could see structures like these being tools for greifers, (EG using a bunch of them to make makeshift walls in a major loot spawn to protect it from non server jumpers) but that could be said of anything.  There could also be the problem of them taking up server resources and causeing lag, again a greifer move, building many of them on the outskirts of the map to cause lag.

That said, lots of places to aquire building materials for them already existing, junk piles, lumber yards, general loot in cities, ect.

dca43bd7-168d-4c73-a6d2-b6e889c097a9_d.J

Something like this would take a bit of skill and a lot more resources (even for a mud and logs thatch house) to do, don't really think it'd fit as something player built, but if it was an existing structure added to game to add a little more variety to villages that'd be awesome.

• Like 1

Something like this would take a bit of skill and a lot more resources (even for a mud and logs thatch house) to do, don't really think it'd fit as something player built, but if it was an existing structure added to game to add a little more variety to villages that'd be awesome.

Agreed. The image was only used to illustrate that thatch is common in the Czech Republic and not solely tropical as the poster suggested

Edited by B@ker

Hello there

There's loads of issues to making a decent thatched roof, but thats out of the scope of this thread.

*if* I had access to basic tools (nails hammer saw) and the materials, I could make something tolerable that would keep out the wind and the rain.

I think Bakers idea is sound even if the reed walls, to me, dont fit. (I do like the model)

I too remember the masses of abandoned SWG houses and dont fancy that again but as far as im aware in DAYZ one would have to "refresh" the house to keep its "timer" going. This could be represented as damage from the elements over time.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/537405286646659349/

Check out the new concepts here if you havnt already.

Regardless, me likie.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

In regards to building realistically, it's actually very easy.

I've helped build sheds (nice ones out of timber) from scratch and even using scrap wood. I've built metal sheds too. I've helped build conservatories, both with glass and brick as their primary material. I've even worked on small housing projects using various materials (wood, brick & block). I have never had any real training to do any of these things. My father wasn't trained to be a builder, but taught himself at a young age and does work on friends houses regularly. I helped him build an extension on our old house that essentially doubled the size of the ground floor.

With a little reading (and books on the subject of construction are very common and explain just about everything you could possibly need) and some trial and error, building even larger structures can be very, very simple.

Also, with trucks like the V3S in game, and even the bus, you could move resources for larger buildings incredibly easily.

Given free reign over a bunch of towns and cities, especially poorer ones where people would have the tools and resources to work on/build their own homes themselves readily available, it'd be incredibly easy to build a reasonably large bungalow in a fairly short timeframe. Especially working with building materials such as straw bales and render, which would be plentiful in this kind of area.

However, in terms of this game, it's not particularly feasible in my opinion - or a good idea. Look at games such as ARK and RUST, where just having the mechanics in game allow for people to build ridiculous structures that would take months with a full team of builders realistically, many of which wouldn't even actually be possible.

It'd be awesome if the DayZ dev team could implement a full, realistic physics based building system (lashing together logs, hammering them into the ground, nailing pieces of wood together and even brick laying, etc), but it's far too much work and probably isn't even feasible with the engine they're working with - and unless it's physics based and very refined, you're going to see the kind of silliness you see in other games.

I think that, for this game, modifying existing buildings and maybe a few small scale prefabs would work. But it's not anywhere near as difficult as one would assume to actually build something larger.

TlDr; Building something the size of a house isn't particularly difficult. With a bit of reading, given the tools, time and resources, just about anybody with reasonable practical skills could build a house, ranging from log cabin to a small, simple mansion. However, in game, it's difficult to enforce realistic building standards. It's a slippery slope and incredibly difficult to get right. But if you keep the structure simple, it's actually pretty easy to build a large house, especially using things like straw bales and render, which can be just as sturdy as brick, last just as long and be thrown together incredibly quickly.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 2

Something like that would be next to trivial to build. Grab some boards (in scrapyards and towns across Chernarus), some plywood, and with a couple of hours you would be golden.

Of course, I would prefer a pitched roof, to shed rain and snow. Something like these, which already exist in-game.

09-Small-shed-with-door-but-no-floor.jpg

480px-GardenShedB_1a.jpg?version=a1c55d4

Why reinvent the wheel? They both have plenty of room for storage, room for a bunk (or two, with bunk-beds), and a "hobo-stove" fireplace. Only thing is, they won't be insulated against the cold, but throw another "frame" away from the walls, about 4-6 inches, stuff this full of dirt, and widen the roof, and throw some shingles on the outer wall, and you should be fine.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

/Snip/

This is actually kind of a good point in the sense that there's really not any need to build in game, realistically. Why would you even want to build a house from scratch when you can just take any already existing one and fortify it?

Edited by Beizs

If they added the ability to craft such structures, they would have to add it inside of a system. 

Let's say as soon as you spawn and get the required tools, you could start to fuck around and nail shit together and boom. You made something. But (depending on how advanced the said system is) over time, you may be required to 'upgrade' or 'reinforce' this structure/item before being able to make different things?

But in all honesty, this isn't rust, this isn't Minecraft, etc. This is DayZ Standalone we're talking about. A zombie apocalypse-style simulator. As stated above, why unrealistically build a completely new thing, when you could just take a shack on the outskirt of a town, or take a shack in the middle of the woods, and fortify, upgrade, improve it? You'd add barricades to start off with - things to keep you out of harms way is #1 priority.

But again, it wouldn't take away from the game if crafting things from scratch was added. So I would be ok if somewhere in the future the developers or modders made some sort of "building" feature. It can only get so advanced, but a small improvised shack? eh, why not?

• Like 1

This is actually kind of a good point in the sense that there's really not any need to build in game, realistically. Why would you even want to build a house from scratch when you can just take any already existing one and fortify it?

Because other people are going to hang around the town where you fortify said building. If there is a road somewhere, even a dirt one, inevitably someone is going to follow it. And, when you are found, it is inevitable that someone is going to try to break in. I prefer to not be found in the first place.

Realistically, what I suggested above would be the "top of the line", for basebuilding.

Beginning stages would be a wilderness survival shelter in the woods

Next would be improving that shelter

Then would come the shacks above.

EDIT: This is something I never understand about this topic. People apparently CANNOT understand that if they are ANYWHERE near a town, or even a road, they WILL be found. Not a "maybe", but a "when". 

If this was real life, and we actually stayed in the buildings we "claimed", and could wake up when someone else wanted to get in, then yeah, sure I could see staying near town ..... maybe. I still would haul ass for the woods as fast as my fat Irish legs could carry me.

Of course, I wouldn't be alone. Those Preppers, who live off by themselves? Gaurenteed the first ones to die, and even if they don't, who is gonna trade with them? Nobody knows who they are...... Bring some friends and their families with you into the woods, and you could set up a little community.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

Because other people are going to hang around the town where you fortify said building. If there is a road somewhere, even a dirt one, inevitably someone is going to follow it. And, when you are found, it is inevitable that someone is going to try to break in. I prefer to not be found in the first place.

Realistically, what I suggested above would be the "top of the line", for basebuilding.

Beginning stages would be a wilderness survival shelter in the woods

Next would be improving that shelter

Then would come the shacks above.

I do like that, it's well camouflaged as well :)

The building looks simple enough... but what will it sit on?

I've spent the last week tearing my roof off so I am kind of feeling handymanish. I think most people are too quick to underestimate their own ingenuity. I think anyone who just planted a hatchet in the face of a former co-worker, shot a man for backpack, ran 10 miles to shoot and gut an elk on the spot, would be able to whip something up fairly easily.

• Like 1

Something like that would be next to trivial to build. Grab some boards (in scrapyards and towns across Chernarus), some plywood, and with a couple of hours you would be golden.

Of course, I would prefer a pitched roof, to shed rain and snow. Something like these, which already exist in-game.

Why reinvent the wheel? They both have plenty of room for storage, room for a bunk (or two, with bunk-beds), and a "hobo-stove" fireplace. Only thing is, they won't be insulated against the cold, but throw another "frame" away from the walls, about 4-6 inches, stuff this full of dirt, and widen the roof, and throw some shingles on the outer wall, and you should be fine.

So you don't think the example model would fit in DayZ?

Edited by B@ker

It isn't suitable for the environment.

"Traditionally", buildings with flat roofs are usually found in deserts, where they don't have to worry about the weight of water (rain) or snow possibly collapsing their roof. In the environment where DayZ takes place, a temperate oceanic deciduous forest, you have to worry about rain and snow. Nothing makes a day worse to waking up under 200+ lbs of snow because your roof collapsed.

Plus, a sloped roof makes it easier to rain and snow to run off on its own

It isn't suitable for the environment.

"Traditionally", buildings with flat roofs are usually found in deserts, where they don't have to worry about the weight of water (rain) or snow possibly collapsing their roof. In the environment where DayZ takes place, a temperate oceanic deciduous forest, you have to worry about rain and snow. Nothing makes a day worse to waking up under 200+ lbs of snow because your roof collapsed.

Plus, a sloped roof makes it easier to rain and snow to run off on its own

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree

6tNJAm3.jpg

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree

6tNJAm3.jpg

Can.... can you not see that the roof is SLOPED? Even on the example above?

On the example in the OP, the roof is FLAT.

Seriously. The "building" in the OP is fine, the roof would probably collapse because flat roofs aren't good with snow and rain.

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THE SLOPE OF THE ROOF

• Like 1

Can.... can you not see that the roof is SLOPED? Even on the example above?

On the example in the OP, the roof is FLAT.

Seriously. The "building" in the OP is fine, the roof would probably collapse because flat roofs aren't good with snow and rain.

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THE SLOPE OF THE ROOF

Its the same model with no geometrical changes, only texture swaps. Seriously the one you say is fine and the one you say isnt are the same thing "Shed_W03.p3d"

Lol_face.png

Edited by B@ker