Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Can we agree this is feesable?

Not really. Take a look at the 2015 RTX slides, around 37:50 in. That isn't a 2 foot drop, considering there are ramparts there on purpose.

I appreciate in terms of reality you'd be able to climb over, or make a ladder and scale the wall, but I don't see them allowing that in the game. You have balance playability and realism. Nobody will make a base if it takes someone 20 seconds to get into it the second they're offline. In reality there is no offline, and people would man the base at all times.

Bases have to be made hard to get into, or there is no point adding them at all and they should just keep to tents and campsites where your only defense is staying hidden.

• Like 1

If bases are easy to get into, then they'd need to be easy to build, otherwise the majority of people would never bother with the mechanic.  I think there needs to be a balance struck between realism of building it, and realism of breaking into it. There is no point expecting someone to spend dozens of hours getting the materials and building a base only for someone to spend 30 seconds blowing it up.

Explosives should be very rare in DayZ, it's an apocalypse simulation, not a military one. As much as I enjoy the PVP element of the game right now, I would be in favour of a reduction of automatic and military grade weapon spawns. They should be rare, very rare, and the ammo even harder to come by.  I hope private hive server admins will have the ability to tweak the spawn rates in the near future.

It would be good to see a potential for big bases that are run by large communities of players, not just hidden ones. Bases with an inner keep stronghold, and then farmlands and an outer wall (think medieval citadels). Within the middle area would be farming plots, animal pens, workshops and everything that would make the base (village?) completely self sufficient.

to enter a base with walls it should be as simple as climbing over with a ladder, if needed possibly wire cutters if it had wire at the top or around it. One should not need explosives except if they want that level of destruction and want to be loud and in your face which should be an option. Big bases or villages colonies whatever you want to call them can still exist with a authentic approach to demolition and infiltration your real defense will be to have  manpower to maintain the said base as well as building it and its security. To me if you want a massive base with shit loads of people then you need to work for it, you better get some guys from all over the world so you have shifts of guards round the clock, sounds crazy but i'm sure you would see it happen there's some large crews that play this. the lone wolves or smaller groups should think small and use common sense stealth is your number one concern and at the same time you would want to split your stuff up over an area and always plan ahead for losses. I'm talkin out of my ass probably but it should take a hell of a lot of effort and scavenging and team work to get a stereotypical base, most with the loot the way it is will have smaller camps, and this is an opinion and nothing is in yet so who knows I just hope its authentic i know its a game and it should be fun but we signed on for this to be as authentic as it can be or at least i did i was prepared to be shot in the face by a kid when i purchased lol.

• Like 1

i don't see the point in making them impossible to get into given the materials being available...(at this time).

Sure you should need to bang on the wall / door for awhile with your sledge / block splitter and yeah it should make noise etc, maybe even degrade your equipment rapidly or completely once the job is done, but ultimately unless you're close enough to hear it being done to a shack, the owner will have no defense but for concealment.

making it difficult to get into is the most unrealistic part, given that most people could smash anything halfway to gammorah before sunset, given a sledge. 

Getting the items out undamaged may also be a consideration.

• Like 1

The "main" benefit of having walls is "the fear of force, not the force itself". Walls, in and of themselves, are just a static barrier: no matter how much barbed wire and rebar-cheval de frise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheval_de_frise) you put in, all someone has to do is put in the work to surmount those obstacles.

Instead, the main "defense" of having walls is that they make "giving fire" (aka firing on an enemy) easy and safe, while making "returning fire" (aka taking fire from an enemy) difficult, time-consuming, and dangerous.

So, clans that build fortified postions will have to defend them 24/7. Yeah, and? That is the "price" you pay for building such a "statement" of purpose!

You shouldn't really need a full clan of guys to defend a properly-built fortified position. The fortifications themselves should really be doing most of the "fighting off" for you, by making it such a pain in the ass to attack, it really becomes a question of "is it worth it"? 

"Do I want to take the time and effort to grab some guys, sneak over to that base at 4am, try to get a ladder over all those trenches, on top of all those Jersey barriers, and jimmy all the locks in that base, all for stuff that we probably already have? WHILE being under fire from the night guard?

"Nah".

Or, you know, "postern gates". While you are trying to wrestle that ladder in place, a night-guard hears you guys clinking around. He opens a small door hidden in a crack in the wall, sees you and your crew, and fills you full of lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postern

Having a tower over the walls makes for sniper-bait, yes, but you could easily throw some sandbags up there to give your guys some cover. Plus, overlooking the walls in that fashion allow the guys up there to see the entire length of wall, down to the base, making it very difficult to sneak up on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchtower

Seriously guys, with a little eye for terrain, the planning of cover, and some overlapping fields of fire, you can quite easily turn a shitty sandbagged tower into an almost-unassailable fortress, all by making it such a PITA to attack. Throw some of these into position around your "main" fort, and keep an eye on the terrain and make sure you overlap FoF, and even if your base is made from scrap lumber and sandbags, you make it a BEAR to attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduit

All of the above doesn't need to be made of hesco barriers. Some thick logs and sandbags would be perfectly ok: they would just take some time to make.

Or, you know, you could just set everything on fire. Surround the base with your dudes, ensure nothing gets in or out, and use the "Launcher of Doom" (which, in and of itself, both the launcher and the ammunition [Molotov cocktails] would be REALLY easy to make. BALANCED, MOTHERFUCKER) to kill the base from the other side of a valley

There is literally no problem in the game that a well-placed Molotov wouldn't handle. Building full of angry bandits? Sneak up and whiff them a "stiff one" through a window. Zeds on your tail? PURGE THE UNCLEAN. Need to clear land for agriculture? Be careful, and set it on fire.

Fire has been humanities premier weapon for hundreds of thousands of years. Our guardian and protector.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

Im all for little shacks and makeshift walls/ hesco. As long as we dont have massive player built skyscapers like in rust or overwatch. Walls should be time consuming, only realistic for groups or people with no life, good use for chainsaw. Within the walls of a well established base would be a combination of small sheds, civilian/military tents, barrels, containers, fireplace etc. Electric lighting, christmas lights as shown in the concept art would be easy to assemble, but require gas to keep electricity. That should be the extent of base building. If you want a fancy cabin, you need to commandeer an existing one and risk being robbed

• Like 1

On the topic of attacking bases. Ladders/ wire cutters should be a bit rare, to make bases a bit more secure. Ladders could also be craft able but you need a nails and quite a lot of wood, and the resulting ladder is shorter, only good for shorter walls. Molotovs would be balanced because they require both gas and a means of lighting them. And explosives would be rare enough that their use wouldn't be too frequent. Bases should be destroyable, but the more time put into a base, the more time required to get in.

• Like 2

I think Whyhero pretty much covered my train of thoughts.

In my best understanding,something like this would be perfect.

09-Small-shed-with-door-but-no-floor.jpg

Also,good thinking on making this post!

Judging from the recent "survivor camp" concept slides,i was kinda disappointed by the lack of wooden structures beyond walls and watch-towers.

Besides tents,i feel like we could really use at least one type of a player crafted shack.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

You might also need a saw, a carpenters square, a string line, a spirit level. as well as know the 3-4-5 rule.

None of those are really necessary to build a shack other than maybe the saw.

Bases like the one in the OP's picture will shit all over this game.

I want bases. I want camps, shelters, and all that, but not the same ugly, all wood, piece of shit square ass or rectangular visual scars you see all over H1Z1, Rust, and Ark. Bases that either don't make sense or all look the same, stand out no matter where they are, and wreck your immersion. I can't stand H1Z1 because on every road there is one of those eyesores, a huge wooden base that looks like shit next to some actual atmosphere. DayZ doesn't suffer from this, thank god, and I can actually feel like I'm in an apocalypse.

We need bases to stick with the tent mentality. Small, hidden. Stashes - STALKER style. You got a little place far off from where anyone would look to stash what you need, rest, and meet.

If they do add big bases, though, which some players may want, it needs to be hard. It needs to be tedious and realistic. Fences instead of layered wooden walls. Barbed wire, realistic fencing, not just that wood or scrap metal shit. Barricades for houses, tarps and tents and little tee-pee's and small non-ugly shacks. Maybe a log cabin.

Not what we see in every other game. Shit that looks authentic and immersive.

Where would you hole up in the apocalypse? A shitty rectangle of wood and metal in some obscure field off the road? Or in a secluded home you broke into, the windows boarded up and the perimeter surrounded by wire and wood fencing?

Even though allowing barricading will make it a bit harder to loot, there's one simple solution.

MAKE SHIT EASY TO BREAK.

If I have an axe, I can chop through some boarded up windows. Boo hoo if you spent time on that, I can spend time to take it down. Not C4 and IED's and ridiculous shit.

This would also reward hiding your base, finding places that are "off the grid."

The "main" benefit of having walls is "the fear of force, not the force itself". Walls, in and of themselves, are just a static barrier: no matter how much barbed wire and rebar-cheval de frise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheval_de_frise) you put in, all someone has to do is put in the work to surmount those obstacles.

Instead, the main "defense" of having walls is that they make "giving fire" (aka firing on an enemy) easy and safe, while making "returning fire" (aka taking fire from an enemy) difficult, time-consuming, and dangerous.

So, clans that build fortified postions will have to defend them 24/7. Yeah, and? That is the "price" you pay for building such a "statement" of purpose!

You shouldn't really need a full clan of guys to defend a properly-built fortified position. The fortifications themselves should really be doing most of the "fighting off" for you, by making it such a pain in the ass to attack, it really becomes a question of "is it worth it"? 

"Do I want to take the time and effort to grab some guys, sneak over to that base at 4am, try to get a ladder over all those trenches, on top of all those Jersey barriers, and jimmy all the locks in that base, all for stuff that we probably already have? WHILE being under fire from the night guard?

"Nah".

Or, you know, "postern gates". While you are trying to wrestle that ladder in place, a night-guard hears you guys clinking around. He opens a small door hidden in a crack in the wall, sees you and your crew, and fills you full of lead.

Having a tower over the walls makes for sniper-bait, yes, but you could easily throw some sandbags up there to give your guys some cover. Plus, overlooking the walls in that fashion allow the guys up there to see the entire length of wall, down to the base, making it very difficult to sneak up on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchtower

Seriously guys, with a little eye for terrain, the planning of cover, and some overlapping fields of fire, you can quite easily turn a shitty sandbagged tower into an almost-unassailable fortress, all by making it such a PITA to attack. Throw some of these into position around your "main" fort, and keep an eye on the terrain and make sure you overlap FoF, and even if your base is made from scrap lumber and sandbags, you make it a BEAR to attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduit

All of the above doesn't need to be made of hesco barriers. Some thick logs and sandbags would be perfectly ok: they would just take some time to make.

Or, you know, you could just set everything on fire. Surround the base with your dudes, ensure nothing gets in or out, and use the "Launcher of Doom" (which, in and of itself, both the launcher and the ammunition [Molotov cocktails] would be REALLY easy to make. BALANCED, MOTHERFUCKER) to kill the base from the other side of a valley

There is literally no problem in the game that a well-placed Molotov wouldn't handle. Building full of angry bandits? Sneak up and whiff them a "stiff one" through a window. Zeds on your tail? PURGE THE UNCLEAN. Need to clear land for agriculture? Be careful, and set it on fire.

Fire has been humanities premier weapon for hundreds of thousands of years. Our guardian and protector.

Very good post.

However, the "is it worth it?" mentality doesn't work in video games.

Is it worth it? No, not really, but if you have a base, a group, you already have 'infinite lives.' You have gear and 'load-outs', packs of shit to pick up when you bite the dust in a gunfight or a skirmish. By the time you reach base building, factions, groups and all that, death is no longer more then an inconveinance. Even with groups now you can easily die and get your shit back, as long as your friends got your back. And that's fine, its a video game, it can be presumed that they just pick up a 'new guy' or something for those people into stories and lore and all that.

But what it means is that, why not fucking try and raid that base? Might lose a pack of gear and that's it, get into a gunfight, have some fun! Video games are about fun. Even survival games are about FUN.

Attacking bases will be fun. Loot and gear is secondary. The experience is what all players currently strive for. The loot is just a way to get that experience, to have that rush as you're shot off, to have the ability to pull shit off.

I think you'd need a carpentry skill to do so in game. Maybe that comes with soft skills.

Lord knows I could never build anything like that, but I can fix any car.

Skills will encourage teamwork especially if you need a mechanical aptitude to fix a car, but you're not a mechanic

You dont need to be a carpenter... Or a framer for that matter to make an improvised shelter.

Even a fallen over tree can ne the basis of such a thing.

That would be the best boon to the woodsman playstyle. Nomadic or static.

• Like 1

None of those are really necessary to build a shack other than maybe the saw.

I see you've bever built anything in your life...awesome. Even a hillbilly shack shows a surprising degree of sophistication IF you know what your looking at :lol:  

I see you've bever built anything in your life...awesome. Even a hillbilly shack shows a surprising degree of sophistication IF you know what your looking at :lol:  

So you are saying that if you had wooden planks, nails, an axe and a hammer, you would not be able to put up a crooked improvised shack, because you are missing a saw, a carpenters square, a string line and a spirit level??

Its possible to build things that arent 100% level and straight, you know ;) It wont be pretty and it might have leaks and be about to tip over, but it would work as a temporary shelter for sure.

So you are saying that if you had wooden planks, nails, an axe and a hammer, you would not be able to put up a crooked improvised shack, because you are missing a saw, a carpenters square, a string line and a spirit level??

Its possible to build things that arent 100% level and straight, you know ;) It wont be pretty and it might have leaks and be about to tip over, but it would work as a temporary shelter for sure.

You just can't accept being wrong can you....Hilarious! If your are talking about a lean to and a tarp then OK you need nothing but an ax and some cordage

Edited by Xbow

Zombie apocalypse based games/ movies/ aspect dosent follow the build a shelter scenario! I wouldnt really like seeing this in game.. Zombie based stuff is find a secure outpost like the prison is walking dead or stay on the move with a tent and have small camps you can come back too.> these little huts would be asking to get to get killed and i dont believe they would fit in.

• Like 1

You just can't accept being wrong can you....Hilarious! If your are talking about a lean to and a tarp then OK you need nothing but an ax and some cordage

I will gladly admit when im wrong, and in fact i did this yesterday on this very forum :)

Im just trying to get you to see your statement from a different angle.

We are talking about an emergency situation here, not a weekend hike to the wilderness, so "everyday" logic doesnt always apply and humans have been known to go to extreme lenghts to survive and build a shelter.

• Like 1

Zombie apocalypse based games/ movies/ aspect dosent follow the build a shelter scenario! I wouldnt really like seeing this in game.. Zombie based stuff is find a secure outpost like the prison is walking dead or stay on the move with a tent and have small camps you can come back too.> these little huts would be asking to get to get killed and i dont believe they would fit in.

I agree 100%. I have no interest in building a tree fort or club house. I'll take an old apparently ruined building with a basement or a cave with a entrance that can be camouflaged and booby trapped. Any way you look at it a flimsy hastily cobbled together shack is something of a bad joke.

Have some beans :beans:  

I will gladly admit when im wrong, and in fact i did this yesterday on this very forum :)

Im just trying to get you to see your statement from a different angle.

We are talking about an emergency situation here, not a weekend hike to the wilderness, so "everyday" logic doesnt always apply and humans have been known to go to extreme lenghts to survive and build a shelter.

Sure but for me if I am going to construct an emergency shelter it would be a tarp and some poles to raise a lean to or Tee Pee or whatever. If I am going to take the time to construct something from scratch that is beyond that I would want to make it sturdy, well hidden and surrounded by traps. :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Sure but for me if I am going to construct an emergency shelter it would be a tarp and some poles to raise a lean to or Tee Pee or whatever. If I am going to take the time to construct something from scratch that is beyond that I would want to make it sturdy, well hidden and surrounded by traps. :thumbsup:  

nothing like a trip wire at the door to say "hi"

• Like 1

nothing like a trip wire at the door to say "hi"

Indeed! Unwelcome guests deserve a proper reception.

I've built plenty of shacks and tree houses and even a small frontier style fort when I was a kid. All turned out fine with just a saw, hammer, nails, and some rope. Never needed any kind of level or square. You are needlessly overcomplicating building a shack. Hell, I could probably lash a small shack together with some boards, sticks and rope in an hour or two. Edited by hellcat420

Ever play H1Z1?

Ever noticed the world is littered with brown garbage that people built and its everywhere? Let's pray to god it does not become a thing in Dayz.

I think this is rather simple. I have no carpentry skills what's so ever (unless we're going to include wood work at school) Myself and 4 friends between the ages of 14 to 16 built a 6ft by 6ft by 6ft wooden hut that we used as our hangout in my back garden with wood and nails stolen from a local building site (boys will be boys right?) this thing was withstanding wind speeds of 90+ MPH then my mother told me it had to go lol, took us a day to build it and about 2 dayz to rip it down, the thing was solid.

So yeah I think this would be rather simple for a more experienced adult to do.

• Like 1

Ever play H1Z1?

Ever noticed the world is littered with brown garbage that people built and its everywhere? Let's pray to god it does not become a thing in Dayz.

it just needs to be as time consuming as it would be in real life

it just needs to be as time consuming as it would be in real life

Exactly.

"shacks" in H1Z1 are fucking EVERYWHERE for two reasons

1) It takes, like, 6 boards, a couple of nails, and some assorted, easy-to-find junk to build the most common "shack

2) Building it takes about 60 seconds of real-time

Here we go:

http://h1z1.gamepedia.com/Small_Shack

Meanwhile, make the above suggested "sheds" take many boards, many nails, and a decent amount of time, and they won't be everywhere.

• Like 1