gannon46

base building concerns

I still think there should be no "base building" at all. The main problem I have with the idea that building anything should take a lot of time and effort is that you turn the game into something it's not. Barricading existing structures does make sense but not from gameplay perspective, way too many problems with it. Tents/small stashes is where it should be at IMO.

• Like 1

i would rather have basebuilding than have barricading. It will make the game feel like you can build a home.

every other bulding or worse would be boarded up and eventually un-enterable.

i think the solution is to have the bases where they can be destroyed or entered with explosives. but, it shouldnt take 5 explosive satchles to blow a whole in a fence(overpoch), one should do. real life, 1 block of c4 will create a whole in a cinderblock wall, if its reinforced with rebar, you better have a tourch though. however, it will still destroy the cinder wall. wood doors can be opened with just DET CORD. no c4 needed.

make it realistic, and ill be fine with whatever.

In my opinion games like Ark, Minecraft etc. were made to have base building system that fits in game just fine.

However in DayZ any form of base building freedom for players except for easily 'flattened' tents will result in trolling. Saw it in DayZ mod Epoch etc. (bases around NWAF that looked like trailer parks, locked down high value loot spawn locations, troll buildings all across the map etc.)

PS.

I personally will build bases/walls around heli crash locations, so that heli crashes will be inside my wall/base I think.

PPS.

And of course every feed shack/hunter stand will be locked as well :D

Edited by Frosti

That's the problem with some of today's gamers. Give them freedom, and they will give you a shitstorm of trolling. Give them freeform basebuilding, and before long Chernarus will be dotted with dick fortresses and giant middle fingers. Compare it to Besiege, which also has a fairly freeform building model. Some people build intricate, beautiful and functioning machines. Some people build rickety giants that literally fuck castles to rubble with giant mechanical cocks. 

I understand that DayZ is supposed to be a serious survival horror game. I'm all for giving people the ability to set up a fortified position, but let's not give them too much freedom either. Existing buildings coupled with player-made simple structures, walls, fences, traps, barricades, etc... all these things put together can make for a solid base that looks like it was built by actual apocalypse survivors, rather than grotesque constructs made by immatured turds with too much free time and no consideration for the rest of us.

I'm not a fond of that as well, they should limit them to at least 1km close to any bigger town or a place of interest. My main priority of making a base would be to hide it somewhere and not having a giant penis shaped base in the middle of a field on some popular route.

PS.

I personally will build bases/walls around heli crash locations, so that heli crashes will be inside my wall/base I think.

PPS.

this is exactly why i support base building with a limitation on how close you can build to existing structures.

In my opinion games like Ark, Minecraft etc. were made to have base building system that fits in game just fine.

However in DayZ any form of base building freedom for players except for easily 'flattened' tents will result in trolling. Saw it in DayZ mod Epoch etc. (bases around NWAF that looked like trailer parks, locked down high value loot spawn locations, troll buildings all across the map etc.)

You make some great points about building around points of interest - I didn't consider how building around a heli crash or spawn point could change the dynamic in a server. However there is a lot of griefing/trolling in minecraft multiplayer. I'm not convinced that building works better in minecraft than it would in day-z. Both games have server specific building so every incentive is there for players to pick a few servers and stick to it. One difference is that day-z inherently incorporates the evil side of people's desires. People doing terrible, stupid, and destructive things all across the map is IMO an essential part of the experience. Generally it's always easier to destroy something than to build it up so any way you slice it we are destined for a whole lot of user created chaos in day-z.

It is possible that the loot economy may in effect have a self regulating anti-griefing/trolling side-effect. If you need some rare item like explosives or a helicopter to break down a building, that item will become increasingly rare as it's hoarded and expended. Technically speaking this should allow game designers to limit the misery or turn up the heat as needed. 

PS.

PPS.

Your leaving out the fact that in the epoch mod it was extremely easy to disassemble peoples bases and break into their locked boxes,sheds, and safes and steal all of their goodies. Hell, one time after we did that to someone's well hidden base we decided to cut the entire forest down their base was hidden in to build our great wall of cherno. Was pretty damn funny watching them log in standing in the middle of a giant field where the forest used to be. Edited by hellcat420
  • Like 1

I don't have a problem with giving a lot base building freedom. Let's go worst case scenario:

Clan "InsertNameHere" (INH) has a sizeable population that has members online at all times. Clan INH has blocked off all roads in and out of Elektro. Anyone that wanders nearby or spawns there is massacred or worse. It becomes a veritable death trap with sand bags, watchtowers, trip mines etc.  Doesn't that sounds like an awesome thing to have on a server? To have a constant danger to be wary of?

This sounds awesome, until said clan grows to such a size that the majority of solo players they run across find it more efficient to simply shoot themselves and spawn a new character rather than submit to whatever petty sadism seems to amuse them.

Being held captive, going through some shit, and being release makes for a story. Having a bag on your head and being ignored as chattle the whole time does not make for a good story. I bet you can guess which one I expect we'd see more of.

• Like 1

This sounds awesome, until said clan grows to such a size that the majority of solo players they run across find it more efficient to simply shoot themselves and spawn a new character rather than submit to whatever petty sadism seems to amuse them.

Being held captive, going through some shit, and being release makes for a story. Having a bag on your head and being ignored as chattle the whole time does not make for a good story. I bet you can guess which one I expect we'd see more of.

That's realistic. Go to a nation like somolia thats been torn apart and in a state of lawlessness. do you think any of the local warlords who are only in it for power or themselves care about the impact their blocking off every other street with burned out cars and assorted junk has on others? didnt think so. Dont like that big powerful clan/tribe on your server? gorw a pair and do something about it. maybe you might have to ADAPT to the SITUATION to SURVIVE.

you could:

1. Use the flexibility of being a solo player to snipe/attack thier patrols or raiding/looting parties away from the fortified area/base.

2. Start recruiting all the other people who have been 'wronged' by the bad guys clan that you dont like and organize a major assault.

3. Avoid the areas you know they have locked down.

5. Begin a guerrilla style campaign in which you attack multiple bases not to loot but just to cause damage and force them to expend manpower and resources, then hit them while they try to gather resources too! (generally hit an run tactics and make playing as annoying for that clan as possible.)

I don't want a balanced game. I wan't the realistic, unforgiving, harden the eff up- zombie survival simulation.

• Like 3

I don't have a problem with giving a lot base building freedom. Let's go worst case scenario:

Clan "InsertNameHere" (INH) has a sizeable population that has members online at all times. Clan INH has blocked off all roads in and out of Elektro. Anyone that wanders nearby or spawns there is massacred or worse. It becomes a veritable death trap with sand bags, watchtowers, trip mines etc. Doesn't that sounds like an awesome thing to have on a server? To have a constant danger to be wary of?

You run into another survivor who is new to the server, and as you settle down around a campfire to share some rabbit meat he asks you is there anywhere to watch out for.

"Yeah man, Elektro. It's a shit show."

"How so?"

"Some real fucked up people there. I don't want to talk about it."

How rad would it be to unite a group of varied but decidedly anti-"INH clan" team of survivors to infiltrate and sabotage their hard work? Or try to suck up to them? Or attempt to befriend a man on the inside to help feed you intel about it?

I think it would contribute greatly to the story making of Dayz. And if a base becomes too much of an eyesore, remember...

As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.

Except that clan would have roving newspawn KOS squads, and the guy by the fire would have already killed you and been telling you how "gey ur mum is" :p

But you don't need walls and freeform building to barricade a city. You need sandbags, earthen ramparts, boards with nails, pushing cars into the road, makeshift fences.

Personally I'd like the only "walls" to be wooden Palisades. With just those, sandbags, dirt mounds, and some movable garbage you can have a "freeform" base of sorts but its still realistic to the point that you'd see IRL.

AND PLEASE, bring back the stick fence from the mod. With those and a couple well positioned wheels-are-missing cars I locked down small villages in the Mod.

I've spent a lot of time on servers known for their big clans, and that roaming newspawn KoS squad stuff just doesn't happen.