Sperglord

Sounds/Ambient

I think the sound in dayz isnt great, it's not bad but it could be a lot better

Like this

Audio can add plenty of atmosphere to a game and dayz really needs it

• Like 6

Seen these posted before.

I do agree, though. Would be great to see a complete overhaul of every sound in the game, and for there to be things like reverb and echoes and different ambient sounds depending on the environment you're in.

Sound is very important for immersion. Hopefully the devs are well on their way towards implementing new sounds.

Some very nice sounds and they certainly add to the atmosphere. However the sound scheme as it is in the moment is not what it will be in the end product as I have understood.

Why, oh WHY, does every game with eating in it make it so your avatar apparently forgets how to fucking eat without slapping his lips around like some sort of imbecile?

Seriously, the "eating noises" in every single sandbox-survival game I've ever played end up pissing me off. I certainly don't make so much noise eating in real life, and if someone I knew made those mouth-noises IRL, they would get a disgusted look at best, and a crack to the face at worst. I mean, goddamn, have some class! Apocalypse or not, there is no reason to be that imbecilic about your food!

And, why do the devs think these are necessary? Do they think we someone won't understand that our characters are eating, without them slapping and slurping like some kind of idiot?

/rant

• Like 7

One of the sounds that always impressed me in the game even at this stage is that sound of listening into an empty city... Sitting maybe half a click away and just watching over it. Then the occasional gunshot- 

Certainly not as good as it's going to get but I have to give credit where it's due. 

• Like 1

Why, oh WHY, does every game with eating in it make it so your avatar apparently forgets how to fucking eat without slapping his lips around like some sort of imbecile?

Seriously, the "eating noises" in every single sandbox-survival game I've ever played end up pissing me off. I certainly don't make so much noise eating in real life, and if someone I knew made those mouth-noises IRL, they would get a disgusted look at best, and a crack to the face at worst. I mean, goddamn, have some class! Apocalypse or not, there is no reason to be that imbecilic about your food!

And, why do the devs think these are necessary? Do they think we someone won't understand that our characters are eating, without them slapping and slurping like some kind of idiot?

/rant

Haha... sounds like my wife, who admits to misophonia, which is someone who is disgusted by the sound of eating.  

Seriously though, I agree. The eating sounds should be understated. Lets hope the Devs have some sense with this, as these will all be redone. The slurping in The Long Dark :huh:

Haha... sounds like my wife, who admits to misophonia, which is someone who is disgusted by the sound of eating.  

Seriously though, I agree. The eating sounds should be understated. Lets hope the Devs have some sense with this, as these will all be redone. The slurping in The Long Dark :huh:

UGH. That one is even worse! 

"here, let me just suck all these peaches/beans/soup right out the can, even though I am in a house with spoons and assorted bowls and plates. I could use them, like a normal human being ..... nah, let me just slurp them right out, like a fucking moron."

At least Day Z has the excuse that we, as the players, are usually eating food in the woods, and lack direct access to silverware and such. in TLD, you can see bowls, plates and cups on the goddamn counters and in the sinks, yet you still lap up food like giant, mentally-deficient dog, in the same fashion as him licking his own balls.

I just ..... -froths at mouth- hate ..... mouth noises.

• Like 3

One of the sounds that always impressed me in the game even at this stage is that sound of listening into an empty city... Sitting maybe half a click away and just watching over it. Then the occasional gunshot- 

Certainly not as good as it's going to get but I have to give credit where it's due. 

When I first started playing the game, I creeped up on the NW side of Severograd with binoculars on a private server and laid down half behind a bush right at the edge of the treeline. I just watched for about 15 minutes. I saw a guy battling zombies with an ax behind the fire station, two guys in a gunfight with some other people that I couldn't really see that well, heard shotgun blasts to my left, and then (I had no idea this was even a thing at this point) someone blew up the gas station and it caught me so off guard that I think I peed a little. It was obnoxiously, insanely loud and I wasn't that far from it. So then my brain screamed fuck this and I left. All I wanted was to see if there was a protector case at the fire station.

• Like 2

its probably me overthinking it, but i swear i hear voices thrown into the ambient sounds mix. 0_o  and i mean like on empty servers. the crashing shut doors and gates annoys the heck out of me. i get the whole wind on a chain fence, but its a little overdone. the eating sounds are also a bit overdone, buts its so that other people can hear you eating. munch munch y'all :beans:

• Like 1

First of all they should synchronize all environmental sounds. E.g. thunder should be heard "equally" on all clients (i.e. the sound source should be the same on all clients at the same time and according to where you are it should be delayed/louder/more silent etc). The same counts for "random" door creaking and wind gusts.

• Like 1

I think the sound in dayz isnt great, it's not bad but it could be a lot better

Audio can add plenty of atmosphere to a game and dayz really needs it

Seen these posted before.

I do agree, though. Would be great to see a complete overhaul of every sound in the game, and for there to be things like reverb and echoes and different ambient sounds depending on the environment you're in.

Sound is very important for immersion. Hopefully the devs are well on their way towards implementing new sounds.

the sound right now is only placeholder to the most part, many sounds are still from the mod (including ambient, with the famous creaking metal gate sound)

also afaik, sounds right now don't update the location from which they are played while they are played

imo, ambient is important, but to much sound in the ambient can tip you off, for example: since dor sounds are in DayZ, the part of the ambient sound which makes the creaking gate sound is very annoying, just like the "random" global reload/eat/drnk sounds were, if there isn't a player or zombie near you, you shouldn't hear foreign footsteps or opening doors, etc.

animal, insects, wind and further are very important though, and these videos have very nice ambient sounds

the dev team said somewhere that sound was the last thing they will focus on however, so expect a long waiting time for decent sound

the sounds in the videos are very very good though, i hope the later versions of the game will have something similar

i wonder, was this done by simply recording a game session and then stripping the sounds over it so it fits, or did the one doing this modify the sound files and ambient sounds?

Edited by Zombo

One of the sounds I hate most in the game right now is the horse snort / nostril blowing sound, well I think that's what it is. There are not even horses in the game.

the sounds in the videos are very very good though, i hope the later versions of the game will have something similar

i wonder, was this done by simply recording a game session and then stripping the sounds over it so it fits, or did the one doing this modify the sound files and ambient sounds?

They'll likely have recorded (or found) audio of various outdoor and indoor environments, footsteps, etc and timed it with the video. Reverb and such added as necessary.

I hope it doesn't take too long for the new sounds. The sound guys have to be doing something after all. They recorded gun sounds a while back so hopefully they'll sneak in to an update. I hate the creaking gate and similar sounds. It's not so bad since those sounds don't occur naturally in-game (when you open a gate it makes a different sound to the ambient one) but it still sucks. 

• Like 1

New Dev Treollo sneak peak about ambient sound at night.

I hated the "wind" (or what this awful loud noise was in the night) and this is an improvment. But a litte less frequent animals would be nice imho. Its sound like a big petting zoo with nice litte fluffy animals.

DayZ is a horror game, I want bad animals like wolfes and bears so on. Thx! :)

You could go into the Developer's Audio subforum and have an enlightening discussion with the audio developer for DayZ, but the guy never posts and never responds or anything. :emptycan:

• Like 1

Their idea of what the woods at night should sound like is so .. so wrong. That video sounds like we're in the deep jungle or in the middle of a rainforest. NO way. Please don't.

• Like 1

These sounds are so good! Why haven't the devs implemented this yet??

Bringing this back to the top. I did not see it before and damn would all of these make SUCH a difference in adding atmosphere to the game. Love it. Truly do.

But a litte less frequent animals would be nice imho. Its sound like a big petting zoo with nice litte fluffy animals.

Their idea of what the woods at night should sound like is so .. so wrong. That video sounds like we're in the deep jungle or in the middle of a rainforest. NO way. Please don't.

Actually it sounds like the woods I've grown up around all my life in Minnesota and Wisconsin, only thing it is missing are loon calls. The frogs in the summer out back are so loud you often can't hear the TV with the window open without turning it up a bit. This is what I fell asleep to every night at my Grandma's cabin... that and the occasional chuff/snort of deer and very infrequent wolf howls.

Heck, in Plymouth MN which is a suburb of Minneapolis and was heavily populated on my busy street there were small ponds off the road and I'd hear this much noise from them just walking past.

• Like 1