SMoss

Status Report - 29 Jul 2015

QfAmu60.jpg

Evening survivors,

For this week's Status Report, Lead Producer Brian Hicks will be informing us on what the team has been working on for the upcoming update on Stable branch. In this regard he'll go over subjects such as the loot distribution and persistence. 

n6pGrhI.jpg

Dev Update/Hicks
Greetings Survivors!

The team has been crunching away on our last blockers for stable release, as well as working on values for loot distribution. Tomorrow morning we should see our (hopeful) final experimental release hit Steam, which will be tested over the weekend. Assuming we notice no new issues, we're hoping to hit stable branch on Monday or Tuesday next week.

The only issue we currently see as a blocker on experimental (0.58.128852) is visually represented as "floating loot" currently caused by an issue with items that have been "swapped" by players. (Most commonly seen as loot floating above deer stands, police stations, etc). As mentioned above, tomorrow should see an experimental push that will see this resolved - and this build will be tested over the weekend to see its viability for Stable Branch.

ohcuNsP.jpg

While this fix has been underway, we've been dialing in the balance for non perishable food, firearms, and military loot. Currently, the highest quantity and priority in the economy is given to non perishable food goods. (Tuna, Beans, Rice, etc). With civilian pistols being the most common firearm, followed by civilian rifles such as the trumpet, blaze, IZH43 Shotgun, and so on. Military loot is distributed across all military points across the map, mostly of which are up in the Northern areas. Military grade firearms are relatively rare, and there is no guarantee that visiting the military bases will yield you the weapon you want. With most items on a 30 minute timer (without being "refreshed" by being manipulated by players) - getting fully kitted up as a "military" player with all the gear you want could take some time.

Super Rare items (M4A1, Steyr Aug, SVD, and so on) that spawn on dynamic events operate on an even rarer chance. Dynamic events have a varied pool of potential items that can spawn, with only 3 active helicopter wrecks at any given time - and an approximate 4 hour clean up, continued hunting will be required to find that super rare weapon or item you are seeking.
Please keep in mind, we are now fully able to update quantities and rarity without requiring an update - so if we should see issues with loot concentration, or quantity once .58 hits stable branch, we will be able to address this rapidly.

Fortunately, players can now create camps and store their supplies and weapons at them during their treks across Chernarus. Different containers / objects have different lifetimes. Currently, they operate as follows:

- Medium Tent (Pitched): 45 Days
- Military Tent (Pitched): 45 Days
- Car Tent (Pitched): 45 Days
- Barrels: 45 Days
- Ammo Boxes: 45 Days
- Protector Cases: 45 Days
- Backpacks (All types): 3 Days

Current functionality on experimental does not allow for refreshing the lifetime of an object without picking it up, so tents and barrels were set to a lifetime that will cover the time to .59 + some safety room in case of .59 stable blockers. Once .59 is pushed to stable, we will support the refresh of a base objects lifetime via interacting with it (moving, placing, picking up any item inside it) - which will operate as follows:

- Medium Tent (Pitched): 7 Days
- Military Tent (Pitched): 7 Days
- Car Tent (Pitched): 7 Days
- Barrels: 7 Days
- Ammo Boxes: 7 Days
- Protector Cases: 7 Days
- Backpacks (All types): 3 Days

This system will also allow for the refreshing of advanced basebuilding objects, once they are implemented. 
Speaking of advanced base building - I'll be speaking at RTX 2015 in Austin, Texas on Saturday, August 8th at 5:30 PM to discuss a recap of things covered at E3 2015, what we'd like to do with advanced base building, what soft skills means exactly, and show the new vehicles coming in 0.59. For those unable to make it, we'll be providing the presentation + audio in the Status Report following the event (Wednesday, August 12th).

Brian Hicks - Lead Producer

Community Video: "I'M HUNTING"
Hey survivors,

While looking for some videos of players doing some hunting and fishing while living the hermit lifestyle in Chernarus, I came across a video simply called "I'M HUNTING". I could see in the description that it was probably not exactly what I was looking for, but I decided to give it a go just the same. Sure enough, the content didn't disappoint. In the video we get to see a glimpse of the unjust killing of a freshspawn and the subsequent hunt and sweet, sweet revenge towards the end.

The video was brought to us by the following content creator: Musse Plays

As always, if you have a nice video containing DayZ footage you'd like to share, or if you have come across some DayZ footage from other content creators, just post it in the Gallery section of the DayZ forums and we'll happily have a look.

Header image credit: Jack Smith

- Michael aka SMoss / Community Manager

• Like 10

Hey, this is regarding military spawns:

-I dont think ANY type of AK or even SKS or any gun is spawning at military bases (Baracks dont have any guns or anything of that sort)

-You are only able to find TTsKO pants and gorka pants, but you cant find the jacket. 

-5.56 and .45 ammo is non existant

- Why is civilian loot spawning in military bases ? Like in the baracks and tents.

Please report these issues to the devs! Military bases are useless atm !

Also I am aware that you want military stuff to be rare but the spawn tables are screwed up. The items are not rare, theyre just not spawning.

Edited by youssefprime

Extremely excited for 0.58, glad to know we have a (likely) release date. Persistence is a feature I am very much looking forward to.

Current functionality on experimental does not allow for refreshing the lifetime of an object without picking it up, so tents and barrels were set to a lifetime that will cover the time to .59 + some safety room in case of .59 stable blockers. Once .59 is pushed to stable, we will support the refresh of a base objects lifetime via interacting with it (moving, placing, picking up any item inside it)

Does this mean there will be a persistence wipe when transitioning from 0.58 to 0.59? Or will placed tents and barrels be unaffected (Besides the refresh lifetime)?

Give us some more info on status of infected. I remember Peter posted video where some 50 zeds chase him, they never looked remotely that good on exp or stable.

• Like 2

*snip*
While this fix has been underway, we've been dialing in the balance for non perishable food, firearms, and military loot. Currently, the highest quantity and priority in the economy is given to non perishable food goods. (Tuna, Beans, Rice, etc). With civilian pistols being the most common firearm, followed by civilian rifles such as the trumpet, blaze, IZH43 Shotgun, and so on. Military loot is distributed across all military points across the map, mostly of which are up in the Northern areas. Military grade firearms are relatively rare, and there is no guarantee that visiting the military bases will yield you the weapon you want. With most items on a 30 minute timer (without being "refreshed" by being manipulated by players) - getting fully kitted up as a "military" player with all the gear you want could take some time.

*snip*

- Michael aka SMoss / Community Manager

What exactly is the 30 minute timer?

Does unwanted loot despawn and something from the the areas list respawn?  

-I dont think ANY type of AK or even SKS or any gun is spawning at military bases (Baracks dont have any guns or anything of that sort)

-You are only able to find TTsKO pants and gorka pants, but you cant find the jacket. 

- Why is civilian loot spawning in military bases ? Like in the baracks and tents.

Also I am aware that you want military stuff to be rare but the spawn tables are screwed up. The items are not rare, theyre just not spawning.

This is irrelevant in 0.58 experimental. The current 0.57 cannot be a reference, as it's already a thing of the past in the development process. 

In the current 0.57 stable, you can easily find 5.56 and .45acp ammo at crash sites.

The TTsKO and Gorka jackets are at the prison island. Don't take this for granted, as it's gonna change in 0.58.

Remember, it's a work in progress.

P.S. : "Please report this to the devs!" Use the bug tracker to upvote any bugs that were already reported, or fill out a bug report yourself if you find anything.

Safe travels survivor.

• Like 2

anybody having the same issues..?

In Exp. there are only dozens of salines in the Barracks ?!?

/edit II
The Clocktower in Novodmirtrovsk only had black Firefighterpants..8 of them.. O_o
coincidence ? i don´t get it.. -_-

This all occured on experimental UK 0-3

Edited by dawud

Extremely excited for 0.58, glad to know we have a (likely) release date. Persistence is a feature I am very much looking forward to.

Does this mean there will be a persistence wipe when transitioning from 0.58 to 0.59? Or will placed tents and barrels be unaffected (Besides the refresh lifetime)?

This is highly likely, but remember that with 0.58, there's already a global wipe happening. 

This is highly likely, but remember that with 0.58, there's already a global wipe happening. 

he meant that "brian, let us know if there is a wipe with .59 too"

• Like 1

Honestly the statement "The only issue we currently see as a blocker on experimental (0.58.128852) is visually represented as "floating loot" seems a bit demented to me. There's a lot worse bugs than that. imo that's a bug that doesn't even affect playability. The cle is the main isue. Currently the nwaf is great if you want a field shovel or boots that's a bigger issue than pants spawning above hunting stands.

I really like 58 regardless I just don't think the high pants is any more of a stopper than anything else.

Plus persistence doesn't work. Are we pretending it does? That's only going to cause more outrage. telling players their tents will persist for 45 days when none of us on experimental have had a camp for anything close to that is just a little bit disingenuous.

Love you guys but come on.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

^
this

not to mention the "my-hands-are-full" bug
or the "no,-i-will-not-let-you-pick-me-up" bug

but THE most annoying bug for me has to be, dropped objects dissappearing in the ground/geometry

...still...

love you too guys ^^

Edited by dawud
  • Like 1

Honestly the statement "The only issue we currently see as a blocker on experimental (0.58.128852) is visually represented as "floating loot" seems a bit demented to me.

I really like 58 regardless I just don't think the high pants is any more of a stopper than anything else.

I really don't honestly believe that a mere "floating bug" is keeping the devs from updating 58. to Stable.

Truth is,they've been trying to push the update for over 2 weeks now,just take a look at the previous Status Reports...

Status Report - 15 Jul 2015 - As we're in crunch to resolve the last few blocking issues for 0.58 we don't have too much *new news*...

Status Report - 21 Jul 2015 - The team is still working hard on the last few issues blocking a stable release of 0.58...

Status Report - 29 Jul 2015 - The team has been crunching away on our last blockers for stable release...

These last blocking issues are sure tough to break. :P

Whatever's the case though,seems like something's definitely,delaying their progress.

Oh,and love you guys too <3!

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

I really don't honestly believe that a mere "floating bug" is keeping the devs from updating 58. to Stable.

Truth is,they've been trying to push the update for over 2 weeks now,just take a look at the previous Status Reports...

Status Report - 15 Jul 2015 - As we're in crunch to resolve the last few blocking issues for 0.58 we don't have too much *new news*...

Status Report - 21 Jul 2015 - The team is still working hard on the last few issues blocking a stable release of 0.58...

Status Report - 29 Jul 2015 - The team has been crunching away on our last blockers for stable release...

These last blocking issues are sure tough to break. :P

Whatever's the case though,seems like something's definitely,delaying their progress.

Honestly, it's the best release of dayz in a long time but I've no idea why they put in the bit about tents last for 45 days. That just doesn't happen and they know that. Is there a plan for the next 45 days to say to everyone had a camp disappear that it was raided. Yeah that might work 99% of the time but someone (wobo probably) will prove those claims are untrue and then there will be a huge backlash.

.58 is a great release and it wouldn't be diminished by admitting that tents have a great chance of disappearing after a few days rather than this nutty pretence that they'll last 45 days

Edited by freethink

They're obviously talking about their settings in the next update.  So.. um..  complain anyway if you want but they're not saying tents have been lasting for 45 days since they added them.

They're obviously talking about their settings in the next update.  So.. um..  complain anyway if you want but they're not saying tents have been lasting for 45 days since they added them.

what are they saying then? I read it as if you pitch a tent it'll e there for 45 days unless someone raids it, picks it up and runs away with it. People on experimental have had entire camps disappear. Edited by freethink

Its pretty simple freethink ... they do a wipe every update they release on experimental. They're was probably 3 to 4 wipe in the last 2 weeks. There won't be any wipe after the stable release one.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, any word on the infected? What was the deal with the infected spawn test servers? A mere mention would be enough to shut me up.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, any word on the infected? What was the deal with the infected spawn test servers? A mere mention would be enough to shut me up.

Saw a tweet from Brian or Eugene not sure, either way vaguely they weren't happy with it. I had a bit of fun with them at first and then just stayed away from anywhere there was infected. I did get sent back to the coast by a real nice guy and as I was sprinting through the docks at Svetlo my fps took a kick in the guts way worse than that town usually causes. Not sure if it was performance they didn't like or what I saw in the videos of the hoards looking like extras in the MJ thriller video all in sync like they were choreographed. 

• Like 1

This is irrelevant in 0.58 experimental. The current 0.57 cannot be a reference, as it's already a thing of the past in the development process. 

In the current 0.57 stable, you can easily find 5.56 and .45acp ammo at crash sites.

The TTsKO and Gorka jackets are at the prison island. Don't take this for granted, as it's gonna change in 0.58.

Remember, it's a work in progress.

P.S. : "Please report this to the devs!" Use the bug tracker to upvote any bugs that were already reported, or fill out a bug report yourself if you find anything.

Safe travels survivor.

Actually, I was talking about the current expermiental build. And this is not a bug, this is the loot system they made.

You're incorrect.

They are spawning, they're just rare. You have no guarantee to find what you're looking for when you visit a base, you've just got to keep looking. I've had encounters with plenty of AKMs and SKSs, and personally found both 5.56 and .45 Ammo.

anybody having the same issues..?

In Exp. there are only dozens of salines in the Barracks ?!?

/edit II

The Clocktower in Novodmirtrovsk only had black Firefighterpants..8 of them.. O_o

coincidence ? i don´t get it.. -_-

This all occured on experimental UK 0-3

Each building has a maximum amount of points that items can spawn in, on 0.58.128852 those spots can be filled all by one type of item - at least on the build that is currently on experimental. Said pending experimental build should have already addressed that.

Honestly the statement "The only issue we currently see as a blocker on experimental (0.58.128852) is visually represented as "floating loot" seems a bit demented to me. There's a lot worse bugs than that. imo that's a bug that doesn't even affect playability. The cle is the main isue. Currently the nwaf is great if you want a field shovel or boots that's a bigger issue than pants spawning above hunting stands.

Plus persistence doesn't work. Are we pretending it does? That's only going to cause more outrage. telling players their tents will persist for 45 days when none of us on experimental have had a camp for anything close to that is just a little bit disingenuous.

Love you guys but come on.

Persistence works just fine, sounds like you just need to hide your camp better ;)

To be clear, someone found my camp and jacked my stuff and my tent. 

Alas!

• Like 1

No, just currently on experimental. 0.58.128852

Persistence works just fine, sounds like you just need to hide your camp better ;)

Alot of ppl where saying that there tents, backpacks etc had vanished but the trucks with gear in them stayed! Why'd ppl leave trucks with gear?