Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 21 Jul 2015

IE0nO2k.jpg

Greetings Survivors,

Yet another week is checked off the calendar as the team moves forward with development of DayZ. In this week's Status Report, Lead Producer Brian Hicks will be filling us in on the challenges the team faces while on the road towards the next Stable branch update. Additionally, Brian will hand out a bit more info/updates in regards to the current state of persistence on 0.58 over on the Experimental branch.

Contents This Week

Development Board Spotlight

Zombie_clan.jpg

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors,

The team is still working hard on the last few issues blocking a stable release of 0.58 - I'll highlight a few of them in this Status Report as well as go into how some of the changed systems are now operating, and how they should be operating once 0.58 hits stable.

Last we discussed:

- Server Performance (Degrading)
This issue has been resolved, and we're seeing a 3x increase in server performance on the current 0.58. As well, the degrading curve of server performance over large spans of time has been resolved. Thus, the experimental branch servers will be operating on a 12 hour restart schedule now.

- Player Position Desync
Still being worked on, the gameplay programmers have made some improvements on this issue - but its still not where we would like it to be for stable. We'll continue to iterate on this, and keep you apprised in the Status Reports. For now, current experimental servers should show a marked improvement in this area.

Now onto the meat for this week. As frequent experimental branch users are aware, we've been operating experimental with full persistence enabled. Dynamic events have been respawning, and cleaning up - and we've been conducting extensive testing on Quantity Maximum Cleanup, and Lifetime Cleanup.

hKoxVRq.jpg

The above picture shows the loot concentration (against a black backdrop for our color blind users) right after last Friday's experimental update. The item quantity sits right around an average of 21,000 items globally.

fXogy2o.jpg

This picture, shows the same server - 3 days later. The item quantity is *the same* (Approx 21,000 items globally) but the saturation is much lower, with the items massively spread out across the map. This issue can be tied to two issues - One, lifetime (age of a particular item) cleanup not functioning for items "dropped" on the ground - and per building maximum not yet functioning.

Todays experimental build is aimed at resolving both of those issues. With the first iteration of per-building maximums, and bug fixing on item lifetime cleanup, we'll be monitoring the loot heat maps - as well as aiming for another experimental update tomorrow (assuming everything works out alright) with point-of-interest structure limits.

- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Dev Update/Peter

Transportation in DayZ is a crucial part of gameplay, especially on such a large landscape as Chernarus offers. Whenever you want to reach inland for a higher chance to find better loot, get to the Chernogorsk hospital for medical supplies to help your friend in need or ambush the bandit camp hidden in the woods - hiking is the least viable option. As you want to reach your goal as fast as possible, you find yourself looking for the vehicle which suits your current needs best. Version 0.59 will come with a big update to vehicles content and I'm happy to see it's shaping up pretty well. You can look forward to a car fest with 3 completely new vehicles made from scratch just for DayZ including a slick sedan, a sturdy off-road and a spacious bus. All of these vehicles will have different handling characteristics and specifications you can experience in real life for example bigger turning radius and slower acceleration of the bus, higher top speeds of the sedan or perfect contact with uneven surfaces of off-road.

Apart from that as I mention earlier we are adding long awaited vehicle parts. To repair and maintain your vehicle you will also need to utilize a broad spectrum of tools already available in game, may it be the lug wrench for mounting the wheels, screwdriver to attach the doors or wrench to connect the battery. Some of the tools will have specialized purposes like the lug wrench while others will be used for more interactions within vehicle and its parts. I want to see characters using their tools directly from hands interacting with the exposed parts of the vehicle to reinforce the visceral experience of actual activity. All vehicles and their parts were designed, modeled and prepared according to this goal so I hope it will turn out really well and adds to more sophisticated gameplay instead of instant abstract actions.

I will end my part of Status Report in a bit hyped spirit with insight into the future where I can see vehicles like helicopters, planes, boats and bikes. (Of course we're doing bicycles!).

Keep those tools handy... see you in Chernarus folks!

Peter Nespesny / Lead Designer

Community Video: "Epic Melee Fight"

Yay!!! For this week we bring you yet another one of those videos that show what some players are up to when not so much focusing on deatchmatch battles at NWAF or living out the hermit lifestyle in the outer rim of the map. There's not so much to it really; one rooftop, 11 players, and no firearms whatsoever. Take a couple of minutes if you will and let yourself be entertained by the chaotic brawl that ensues once the referee reaches the end of his countdown.

The video was most kindly brought to us by TopeREC TV. If you have a couple of minutes to spare, I highly recommend that you take a look at his channel.

You can also follow TopeREC via the following channels:

http://twitter.com/TopeREC
http://www.twitch.tv/toperec
http://www.facebook.com/Toperec

As always, if you have a nice video containing DayZ footage you'd like to share, or if you have come across some DayZ footage from other content creators, just post it in the Gallery section of the DayZ forums and we'll happily have a look.

Header image credit: Tydirium

- Michael aka SMoss / Community Manager

• Like 10

First!  :P

Good discussion of loot distribution from Hicks. That was very insightful and nice to hear that it is constantly being iterated upon. But what I'm really excited to read is this:

I will end my part of Status Report in a bit hyped spirit with insight into the future where I can see vehicles like helicopters, planes, boats and bikes. (Of course we're doing bicycles!).

BOATS!!! :)

• Like 5

Still no zombies kmeeeeeee

On topic: using tools in hands for repairs - great!! This will bring new aspect to game.Can't wait!!

Edited by igor-vk
  • Like 1

Yep, best part of the status report! But I'm really hyped for working persistence - soon.

I hope we can use the boats on the coast that we have right now with some paddles. Craftable boats and rare motor boats would be nice, too. Ofc, also with the find and repair part.

Thx devs! :beans: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to snipe someone bent over under the hood of a lada trying to break free a seized spark plug.

• Like 3

Really liking how the infected have various clothes to make a bigger variety of infected roaming the map.

Really looking forward to the new vehicles and mechanics, also, the new player animations based on the new skeleton!!

Awesome guys, keep it up!  B)

• Like 2

"(against a black backdrop for our color blind users)"

This is proof of developer communication after a little chat I had with (insert name here) a good while ago.

Does not concern myself personally but for some of my friends is relevant and appreciated.

Everything else is  :beans: &  :thumbsup:

Thanks.

• Like 2

Lots of exp updates! Very nice. That infected Dean doesn't look too infected. When can we take clothes from the infected? I want the wife-beater and hat from the infected second to the left. 

• Like 1

That Dean zombie will get beaten up more than any other zombie :D Nice to hear that CLE is starting to work nicely. Zombie threat is the biggest thing now missing but I guess there's still long time for that.

• Like 2

Great report, thanks devs.

"hiking is least viable option" - I cant wait until this is true, seems like road map would indicate this could be coming soon? Hoping so..

Also, really love that they have developed the game from the start, with the idea of visually seeing the tools that need to be used. These small details are going to be great in the end. Similar to seeing loot, (as discussed in previous status report) it's going to make dayz have that authentic feel.

Edited by Coheed_IV

"To repair and maintain your vehicle you will also need to utilize a broad spectrum of tools already available in game"

I always wanted to see an actual toolbox or belt. Something empty like a medikit, to be filled with the appropriate item. It's going to be something you will have to keep nicely so that you won't struggle to work out those mechanics, repair or maintenance.

And also to not have them laying around in a backpack.

• Like 3

Thanks for news, devs/all!

As stated by others, I anxiously await the next wave of infected.

I am also interested to hear more about stamina and weight systems progress.

One day, hopefully soon, the loud and stupid murderers will eat gory horde claws.

• Like 2

I am stoked!!!!! Very very excited to hear this news.... I am most excited to see the word helicopters in this dev blog...I have a question if I may...

Has any work started on helicopters at all? If so can we get some sort of a sneak peak on this and the other in progress vehicles?

Keep up the great work guys.. Always excited to see new updates popup in my steam window..

Really looking forward to persistence.

I don't know how I think about the max item limit per building, I always liked how it was rather random at some times.

Loved the patch too where you could find anything anywhere but everything was really really rare, you could barely find food or any other loot for that matter if you didn't know where to look.

Hope this aspect comes back soon, we got enough options to hydrate and energize ourselves. Food should be rare.

First!  :P

Good discussion of loot distribution from Hicks. That was very insightful and nice to hear that it is constantly being iterated upon. But what I'm really excited to read is this:

This issue has been resolved, and we're seeing a 3x increase in server performance on the current 0.58. As well, the degrading curve of server performance over large spans of time has been resolved. Thus, the experimental branch servers will be operating on a 12 hour restart schedule now.

Better server performance = More players, More zeds & More animals!!!

• Like 2

About server performance topic though; isn't that part of hardware as well?

Regarding Zeds...is it still the plan to spawn all Zeds with server start which is and always has been a stupid idea in my eyes ?

Why not creating a system like the one Arma Allive uses ...means simulating a huge infected population on the map ( movement, reacting to noise, wandering etc) but spawning them only into the game world in a specific distance around  the player.

just my thoughts

• Like 1

Lol guys, take a look at the community video, quality melee combat experience of DayZ: Spam and pray. 

But seriously I'm starting to doubt it can even be better. I mean, we can't even shot people due magic teleportation lag sorcery, imagine a melee system that requires you to react to a animation in order to defend yourself.. Will this ever change? Will tracer system actually be used for something? Because if we don't have to defend ourselves there is absolutely no point in using a tracer system, or even developing more the melee system and its animations. Its a waste of resource tbh.

So sad man, wish I could get good in melee, but there is no melee at the moment.

Edited by Avant-Garde

...still thinking of Arma Allive...this ist working well even with complex AI, strategic objects, convoys, patrols, roadblocks etc etc etc...zeds would just have to wander or idle around and react to noise (basically) ....if some of you ever played it just think of how amazing this could simulate a zed population :)

Does it mean 0.58 stable servers will also benefit of that performance increase?

There are 75 players servers on 58 exp. branch now - no infected though. 

And the map still feels empty.  :)

Doesn't it seem fruitless to talk about performance when persistence is still off months after it was taken out? This aspect has kept me away for awhile... awaiting it's return and functionality.

Are we getting a stable update today?

not this week. with much luck next week, with bad luck in two weeks.

Edited by PaniXx