Pyongo Bongo

Bigger Forests please?

View distance in the mod was something between 800-1000m and maaybe even worse when it was raining. So reduce your view distance to those numbers and you won't see the next village from the current one.

Default now is 2-3km? That makes a big difference because you can see everything from that far.

Edited by St. Jimmy

You actualy mean that the forrests are too "open". in a normal forrest i can see 200 meters ahead. In DayZ i can. That is perhaps what you mean?

• Like 1

Ahh the vanilla map, so green, so climatic. I miss it.  

2urqs0m.jpg

And so empty with so few buildings to even enter

Edited by leader.one

In the mod was hard to hide your tents sucesfully in a 50 player crowded server, with less forests and 100/150 players and bigger tents,  will be imposible to hide a camp.

Maybe we'll be able to wall our camp so there is no need to hide it anymore, but not much has been confirmed about basebuilding.

I would love bigger forest too whatever you can wall your camp or not.

In the mod was hard to hide your tents sucesfully in a 50 player crowded server, with less forests and 100/150 players and bigger tents,  will be imposible to hide a camp.

Maybe we'll be able to wall our camp so there is no need to hide it anymore, but not much has been confirmed about basebuilding.

I would love bigger forest too whatever you can wall your camp or not.

Well I got no problem with hiding my tents on 75/75 private server in the mod..never got robbed.

However there was a lot of players that thought that hiding their camp on the edge of the map was a good idea, but in reality edge of the map was the very first place everyone would check and those guys got raided..

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

It deppends on luck also, I never used the edge of the map, in some servers my tents never got raided in months, in others it happen the first week, it was hard imo but not impossible.

In standalone having less forests for hiding tents, twice players and bigger tents will make it almost impossible imo.

Edited by Wili
  • Like 1

It deppends on luck also, I never used the edge of the map, in some servers my tents never got raided in months, in others it happen the first week, it was hard imo but not impossible.

In standalone having less forests for hiding tents, twice players and bigger tents will make it almost impossible imo.

I don't wanna be that guy to say that but in DayZ mod there was lots of hacks and people ran with them unchecked with lead them to the tents..

Also in SA there is many types of tents, big tents, small tents and even barrels so I would not be so pessimistic. If someone finds my tent kudos to him. Let's keep in minds that at least for me finding and hiding tents was lots of fun until it became irrevelant because of 'donator' gear load outs and added barracks/firestation in every town.. Some servers even had invisible/unaccessable donator tents which ruined the whole fun for me.

One of my moments back in the day before all the northern towns was running from Svetlo dont remember/know if the town was there but nevermind,i just ran with the train tracks there was nothing but forests and fields and then i arrived to this lonely train station.Nothing but fields,trees and this station.Thought that that could be a ideal base but not anymore.

But on the topic i also feel that when im in a forest there is a house or a city in sight at almost all the time.

• Like 1

You actualy mean that the forrests are too "open". in a normal forrest i can see 200 meters ahead. In DayZ i can. That is perhaps what you mean?

I really think that's an important aspect, and in general this is a very important issue and design decision.

I want some woods to be denser than others, more bushes

• Like 1

I really think that's an important aspect, and in general this is a very important issue and design decision.

I want some woods to be denser than others, more bushes

In Dayz mod, there is mod "CELLE" it got like 4x denser forest then normal. I think it is overkill tho, 2.5x denser forest would be fine imho

• Like 1

The following contains a great deal of guessing, conjecture, and memories of information I heard second- and third-hand years ago. If there is a dev or anyone else who can correct me, I'd appreciate it.

In the very early days of the alpha/pre-alpha, if I remember this right, there was sort of a two-part plan in regards to map development: The first was to add the new towns and generally expand the 'civilized' parts of Chernarus, and the second was that the overall map size was going to be increased to the north and west, so that SA would not only have a more developed areas in the north, the map size expansion would add more wilderness as well to balance that out.

However, that idea was thought up a long time ago, and from a practical point of view, doing both at once just wasn't possible. What they have done to the north of the map so far is a beautiful piece of work, even though I too miss places like Skalka, Podeba Dam, and the expansive forests of the original Chernarus. The wilderness is still there though, maybe not as much as I'd like, but for now, it'll do.

We still could see an expansion of the map size in the future, though, but I strongly suspect that it's not just as easy as simply adding more terrain. From my understanding, everything in the map is tied to a coordinate reference point - in this case, the reference point (IIRC) is in the NW corner of the map. Every piece of map information, from the several layers of terrain data to every tree, house, and spawn location share this reference point. So, I'd venture to guess that this setup gives you two options. The first is to move the reference point to the new NW edge of the map and then adjust every piece of position information to account for the change (no small feat in itself). The second option is to just add the new areas and keep the reference point right where it is, and it simply is not in the far NW corner anymore. Now that second option seems easier at first glance, but I have a suspicion that a good many old chunks of code deep inside of the good old ArmA engine might have a problem with this, as the new coordinates may have values it was never expected to handle when it was written. While it still may be able to be done this way, you'd probably end up with an enormous amount of debugging, correcting and/or replacing a ton of little problems, and what you may end up with is a patchwork of fixes and workarounds that are designed for an engine that they are working on replacing/refitting/modernizing anyway.

If what I just said is anywhere near correct, an expansion of the map size could be a long way down the road, perhaps as either part of some sort of expansion DLC 18-24 months after 1.0, or for a sequel, perhaps combined in some way with a release of ArmA 4. I don't see BI just abandoning Chernarus after SA runs its course, either. Chernarus is a big country, and we've only seen a tiny fraction of it. Chernarus is simply too valuable not to expand upon, and as time goes on, we might have an engine that could handle something several times larger.

Edited by Chambersenator
  • Like 1

You know people live in big IRL cities when they think the biggest forest in DayZ is actually big. :D

The biggest forest in DayZ is really small. Not wilderness.

• Like 1