DemonGroover

Day Z Urban Legends

i died once dose that count?

:emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan:

the creature of black lake.... About 2 weeks ago me and my 3 buddies had decided to move our camp from elektro to a small shack just south of black lake. The first two nights were quiet, No zombies, No other players. This place was isolated. So... it was around 3 AM in game. We were all sitting around a campfire. My friend Ethan said he had done some googling and heard of a strange creature that brutally murders anyone it finds.

After he told the story it had the guys on edge. We decided to take turns patrolling a certain area around our camp. The guy who took the first watch had said he had heard what sounded like footsteps and strange grunts/groans behind him every once in a while. After coming to the conclusion that it was "just a boar" I decided to take second watch so the others would stay calm.

I had made it to the furthest corner of our perimeter. About a quarter mile north of our camp, In the densest part of the black lake forrest and cliffs. I was scanning the horizon when all of a sudden Everyone in the teamspeak started yelling and freaking out. I asked them what was going on and they said there was something in the bushes that was on a small cliff overlooking our camp. I had already started working my way back when I heard gunshots coming from the camp.

POP! POP! POP!.... 3 shots from a makarov went off. After a few seconds of silence, My friend told me that they had all taken cover inside our UAZ. And that whatever it was that attacked them was heading north of the camp, In my direction. At this point I was pretty scared and I was armed to the teeth. So I began sprinting back to the camp. I can see the campfire light and the shed about 400 meters away. After about 2 minutes of running I began to hear footsteps off in the brush somewhere and strange grunting sounds. I lost my stability for a moment and began firing off rounds into the brush.

The footsteps stopped for the moment being and my team mates were telling me to hurry... I was now 80 yards from the UAZ. Sprinting without looking back I heard the footsteps again. Then as soon as I reached the car and got inside. I turned on my NVGs and looked to my left into the dark forrest. All I saw was what looked like a very large black zed. But it was kind of strange looking. It sprinted off into the forrest and we drove off as far away from the lake as we could get.

• Like 9

the creature of black lake.... About 2 weeks ago me and my 3 buddies had decided to move our camp from elektro to a small shack just south of black lake. The first two nights were quiet, No zombies, No other players. This place was isolated. So... it was around 3 AM in game. We were all sitting around a campfire. My friend Ethan said he had done some googling and heard of a strange creature that brutally murders anyone it finds.

After he told the story it had the guys on edge. We decided to take turns patrolling a certain area around our camp. The guy who took the first watch had said he had heard what sounded like footsteps and strange grunts/groans behind him every once in a while. After coming to the conclusion that it was "just a boar" I decided to take second watch so the others would stay calm.

I had made it to the furthest corner of our perimeter. About a quarter mile north of our camp, In the densest part of the black lake forrest and cliffs. I was scanning the horizon when all of a sudden Everyone in the teamspeak started yelling and freaking out. I asked them what was going on and they said there was something in the bushes that was on a small cliff overlooking our camp. I had already started working my way back when I heard gunshots coming from the camp.

POP! POP! POP!.... 3 shots from a makarov went off. After a few seconds of silence, My friend told me that they had all taken cover inside our UAZ. And that whatever it was that attacked them was heading north of the camp, In my direction. At this point I was pretty scared and I was armed to the teeth. So I began sprinting back to the camp. I can see the campfire light and the shed about 400 meters away. After about 2 minutes of running I began to hear footsteps off in the brush somewhere and strange grunting sounds. I lost my stability for a moment and began firing off rounds into the brush.

The footsteps stopped for the moment being and my team mates were telling me to hurry... I was now 80 yards from the UAZ. Sprinting without looking back I heard the footsteps again. Then as soon as I reached the car and got inside. I turned on my NVGs and looked to my left into the dark forrest. All I saw was what looked like a very large black zed. But it was kind of strange looking. It sprinted off into the forrest and we drove off as far away from the lake as we could get.

And that is how you do a horror story. Beans to you friend, I don't think I can camp by that lake anymore. I wonder if maybe rocket will add some of the odder rumors into the standalone?

• Like 2

And that is how you do a horror story. Beans to you friend, I don't think I can camp by that lake anymore. I wonder if maybe rocket will add some of the odder rumors into the standalone?

whats even scarrier is its true lol. This actually happened to my group.

whats even scarrier is its true lol. This actually happened to my group.

Every single story on this thread is true.

Didn't you know that...?

Hatchet men, a staring bunny horde and the creature of black lake.. Yeah.. Who needed to sleep tonight anyways..

Gather round, my kiddies! Boys and girls, children all about! Apostrophe next to the campfire, grab a can of beans and let me tell you of the most coveted treasure that the land of Chernarus has to offer! They say many a man have seen it, but not a single has laid his hands upon it! Wars had been fought for it, and many a million zeds slaughtered to even have it in your presence! Let me tell you the tale...

Of the Dew.

(And dangling from a tree nearby was a bloody hook.)

----------------------------------------

In all seriousness, I do have a very true, very mysterious story that I'll never forget.

Back in 1.7.1, I was just coming into DayZ. I was slowly evolving into the cold bandit I am today, but for what it was worth, I had enough kindness to help someone in need. I made acquaintance with a boy greener than spring grass who was trapped down at the Electro docks. After weighing on my good side that day, I made my way down from the dam, to the docks, to find that the greenhand was rescued by a Winchester-wielding man. The greenhand was thankful, but as a fresh spawner, he was with only a flashlight and no defenses at all. (Mind you, this was before the melee was implemented.) So deciding that a pair of gunners was better than just a shotgun alone, I grouped up with the duo.

Now, here's where the story goes astray. As the three of us made our way through the streets of Electro, looking for supplies to heal up the fairly-banged-up greenhand, we'd often become separated. As we turned corners, or walked through a doorway, our mute friend with the Winchester would seemingly disappear into thin air, only to reappear moments later in a completely different location. Knowing Electro fairly well, I chocked this up as his way of scouting, maybe taking a long way around a route to make sure that there weren't any hostiles trained on us. But as this phenomenon continued, I became very suspicious. Brushing it off as my ever-growing paranoia in DayZ, I thought nothing of it.

However, as we hit the western border of the Electro docks (having circled back out to the edge, so as to have a fairly-open view) a few shots fired off in our direction. Ordering the green to book it out of the city and into a nearby patch of trees, I felt bad that we might lose our mysterious second gunner. Looking over my shoulder as we ran, I saw no hide nor hair of the fellow. I had to admit, I was a tad bit saddened, but splitting up might've been the best idea. Taking nestle in the trees, myself and the green checked our bearing, prepared to make for Cherno for the supplies we hadn't been able to find. However, as I turned to look out toward the road to Cherno, I saw something peculiar...

Here he came, our Winchester wielding bravado. Nearly 100 meters off track, and with no hinting of our location at all, he had found us. I was honestly struck with awe. Being a fan of the Fallout series of games, there was only one thing that came to mind when he came strolling up to us.

This mas was the Mysterious Stranger.

And so, we continued. North to Prigorodky. West to Vysota. All this time, traveling through fields. Nothing to block or view, nothing to obscure or vision of this Mysterious Stranger besides lone sparsing of bushes. And yet, every five minutes I glanced over my shoulder, he'd disappear behind one bush, and reappear five minutes later behind another. But the kicker is yet to come.

As we headed south, into the hills above the hospital, I gave one final glance to this Mysterious Stranger. He stood up, gave me a salute, and with that, promptly disappeared. Now, I suppose you could justify that last disappearance as a disconnect. But I have no clue, no justifiable idea, how he could track us all the way along that coastline, and continue to keep pace with us if he kept D/Cing and R/Cing, without us uttering a single message outside of direct chat.

So if you're ever on the coast, in need of help, and you run into a man with a Winchester strapped to his back, take a second. He's a fuckin' guardian angel, that one is.

You don't have to believe me, but that doesn't make it not true.

Gave me a boner

• Like 1

I remember one of the scariest moments in my many lives of DayZ. I was just getting the hang of things in the game. All my friends had logged off on our usual server, so I decided to try out another server. It was night time on the server, and there weren't many people on. Not really knowing where I was, I began heading down the coast with the water on my right. I eventually arrived at what I discovered later to be Balota Airstrip. I knew that airstrips spawned good loot so I checked everything and eventually found a aks. When I finished with the hangars and control tower and hangars, I started running through the field to the other part of the airstrip. About halfway there, I heard/saw my first heli. I was to excited to realize that something was wrong with it's flying. It crashed right between the hangars and control tower, it's explosion lighting up the night. Stunned for a moment, I lay there in the middle of the field just staring at the hangar that hid the view of the crash site. After watching the area for about a minute, I mustered up enough courage to go check it out. After arriving at the scene, I discovered no body. Being a noob, I felt bold and scouted around, and found not a single person. Suddenly, I heard another helicopter flying nearby. So I fled into the hangar and went prone in the dark corner of it. I watched right outside the hangar thinking that would be where they landed, but they crashed to my right in the exact same position as the old crash. The hairs on the back of my neck began to raise as I thought this strange. After having an internal battle about what I should do, curiosity got the better of me. I slowly crept out and made my way towards the crash. There was something nagging at the back of my head though. Something was wrong. There was no flies buzzing. I thought maybe my hearing got blown out or something from being right next to the explosion, but when I checked, there were no bodies. Freaking out I spoke into direct chat asking if anyone was there. After no reply I shrugged it off and decided it was better I leave it. I turned towards the field and nearly shit my pants. Though it was night, the fires from the 2 crash sites illuminated much of the darkness. The sky was full of people parachuting down. Not just a couple people, but more than I dared to count. Though I could distinguish their figures in the dark, I couldn't make out what they looked like. Frozen in fear, I watched not knowing what would happen. When this massive group touched down, they went prone, I lost them all in the grass that hid them so well, but I could hear them shuffling. Finally my instincts regained their hold and I fired off my afk blindly. I thought I heard the grunt of someone being hit, but the sound of shuffling increased as they got closer. Before they could come into view, I immediately logged off. I've had the server favorited for the months that I've had DayZ, but I dare not even glance at the name.

• Like 4

Well, I browsed by this topic numerous time to read some stories, but nothing awkward ever happened to me in DayZ... until this afternoon.

It was evening, actually. I was alone in my house. I don't know if this story will scare you or such, not even cause suspense. I actually had a smile on my face while it was happening... not because it was funny at all, but it was very awkward. Well, to the story:

I spawned on the coast, as usual. I walked a long while by the highway, to the point that I reached it's end. Then I just bend down and checked once again my usual starter gear, it's some kind of routine check I make. As there was nothing else to make at that point of the road, I began to ran up the hill that was facing me. I honestly didn't know what I was looking for... the place didn't look interesting at all.

Well, before walking for even a minute, I watched a few animals appear on the background, very far, none was interested on me or such. Then, I see that a bunny rabbit was right infront of me (strange I didn't see him before I turned and watched the horizon, where the other animals were). I started hearing a voice, rather human. My first guess was that somebody was speaking on the public/global chat and I ignored it.

But then the voice said "Yes, man, I'm speaking"- the rabbit said. He said some rather stupid things like "I'm a spiritual soul.. a spiritual rabbit, so to say. I'm here to guide you, Survivor. Follow me." I had nothing else to do than following him, and given that the situation was extremely awkward, I just followed him.

He leaded me to the outskirts of some nearby woods, but we didn't enter. After reading this topic with all that rumours of an assassin with a hatchet on the woods, then I honestly started feeling a little bit worse. In a way that most people would take ironicly, I said "I don't like how this looks, spiritual rabbit." I was about to say "The woods, I mean", but I finally didn't. It said "there's nothing to worry about.. just enjoy it".

I dissapeared for a few moments and finally I appeared again, like some invisible hack, and then the bunny rabbit dissapeared. I thought that by "just enjoy it" he meant the view, the horizon and everything. So I just stayed there for some significant minutes and right before I log off, I checked my inventory again. I had a ghille suit, a sniper and a few more things. I admit I got surprised, but as the server didn't look legit at all I didn't care. When I was about to click the "Abort" option to quit the game, I got banned from that server for spawning items...

This story may look awkward and unrealistic, but I swear it happened to me this afternoon. It was the most awkward thing that ever happened to me in DayZ... I could have recorded it, but in that moment I was so shocked and confused that it was the last thing on my mind.

Edited by Pergolin
  • Like 5

Ahh hackers......don't we love them so?

TBH without hackers half these stories wouldn't have occurred

Shame you got banned though. I once had a conversation with a Goat but he didn't give me any items thank goodness.

Ahh hackers......don't we love them so?

TBH without hackers half these stories wouldn't have occurred

Shame you got banned though. I once had a conversation with a Goat but he didn't give me any items thank goodness.

Yeah, quite sure he was a hacker because I was sure that the invisibility was a hack, and I saw a running nametag when I was invisible. But still, I was shocked and didn't use my brain for nothing related to.. well, think.

• Like 1

Yeah, quite sure he was a hacker because I was sure that the invisibility was a hack, and I saw a running nametag when I was invisible. But still, I was shocked and didn't use my brain for nothing related to.. well, think.

Yeah, it's actually a known hack. You can turn into animals and speak... pretty creepy.

IF THE RABBIT DOESN'T RUN, YOU SHOOT IT!!!

Actually I was about to shoot him, but then he said something like "Wait, don't shoot me" or something like that lol.

I didn't have a knife for the meat anyways.

One of the weirdest things that happened to me happened at that one place we hate to go to....Green mountain. Me and some friends had just found out how to play music over our mics and we had an suv so we decided to go find people and picke them up. The driver was an admin so he knew where everybody was and the closest person was at GM. I told him "uh maybe we should go to elektro or something but he still insisted. As we neared the place we saw someone in the bushes. We then called out his name(i think his name was player) and he got in the back seat of the SUV next to my friend. We started to blast thrift shop and laugh. Then i looked behind me to the guy and he had a zombie face (i know its common but it is creepy) and he was just staring at my friend. He never said anything but just STARED at my friend. My friend thought it would be funny to play some songs to make him look away but the guy just stared at him with those zombie eyes. Then he looked at me and just looked at me with those dead eyes and he didnt say a word. A little bit later we pull into a gas station and the server restarts. After that we never saw him again. One of the weirdest things was that he had nothing on him at at all....what was he doing at green mountain?

For a while after getting into DayZ I only played nighttime servers, I'd gotten fed up with hackers shore line campers and PK's. Nighttime seemed to offer the most challenge and less irritations along with the sense of immediacy and danger that the night has. For a while I was playing on a spanish server (es9 or something) until one night I spawned into Berezhino at the apartments above the shop when an invisible script kiddie with M4SD found me within minutes of spawning. Without moving or firing he quickly killed me. In disgust I warned that there was an invisible script kiddie on the server and quit. I had plans to meet a friend so I moved to a German server that seemed pretty active, I think in the region of 25-30 players. DayZ commander told me it was nighttime and that was an unusually high number of players, but I wanted a challenge so I logged into the server and spawned at Otmel just east of Elektro. But instead of nighttime I found it almost be midday with the sun high in the sky.

At that stage my friend jumped onto teamspeak letting me know he'd join me in half an hour or so. I told him what server I was on and that it was daylight, we both assumed an admin had changed the time. At the time I naively thought no script kiddie could alter the time.

I hate Elektro and Cherno. I will only stay in them long enough to gather basic supplies such as food/drink compass and a map, maybe even a makarov. Sneaking along the shoreline I came up through the centre of the town towards the hospital, nabbing some morphine, blood and bandages. Making my way to the pub facing the shop I heard the rumble of a large vehicle. Now I've been killed by a bus driver so I ran and hid in the pub. Stopping only to loot a 1911 on the way up the stairs.

Within moments I heard the beep of the horn and the growl of angry zed's then the bus parked outside the school building. I panicked surely they would find me now I'm dead. I saw the bus disgorge about 10-12 players, all fully armed and some with ghillie suits.

I'm fecked.

It's only a matter of time till they come into the pub and see me hiding upstairs. I won't combat log, the first rule of DayZ is to not get attached to gear.

I start hearing the snap of rounds and a couple hit the window infront of me but I can also hear them talking on direct chat, I can't figure out the language but it's probably some German's, maybe the owners of the server out for a party run. They sound pretty calm and the gunfire is controlled, no mad bursts and either a single shot or double tap. These guys know what they're doing.

At this stage no one has entered the pub but I don't feel confident they'll take kindly to someone watching them so I move to the room at the back with the bed. I've scored a shotgun and some more mags and prepare to sell myself when the gunfire escalates to full auto. I hear the scream of a guy getting killed and "soandso was killed" appears on the screen. Suddenly a lot of people start typing on chat or trying to talk, more names start appearing and the gunfire escalates to a full firefight. People are shooting wildly. I look into the shop and see two guys shooting what can only be described as a military zombie with an axe. Even in the bright midday sun I can see it's eyes.

I'm transfixed, too scared to move and too curious to want to do otherwise.

One of the guys reloads and his buddy bolts. The axe swings down killing the first guy but the runner makes a fatal mistake and runs into a horde that was attracted to the gunfire. I can just about make out his screams but I think I make out some laughing over the screams but it's too faint to be sure. Two more guys appear out of the school attempting to save their friends and the axeman soon teaches them their mistake. I haven't been this scared since the first AvP game came out in '99. A third guy jumps into the bus but I hear it crash around the corner and it doesn't start up. I can only hope he has made it out but another name appears on the kill list. I see the last two guys trapped on the roof of the school, one with an AS50 and the other with a saw. They've got a horde of zed's which are ignorant of the axeman charging into the building, more than I thought possible. The two guys are giving it all they are worth to survive. I silently commend them on staying the course, most people would have dc'ed by now. But these guys have balls of steel, no zed or axeman will stop them. They seem to be doing it right, one firing only when the other has stopped. I can't hear them talking but I see the ghillie climb up the ladders to the top floor and then the saw gunner follows.

It was a mistake the axe man was there waiting, I saw him burst through the door the saw gunner runs for the steps and misses, he hits the ground with a crack and a scream. Zed's charge his broken body and I can only imagine the screams as his body is torn to pieces.

The ghillie shoots two rounds into the axeman, only one of these at that range would have put me on my back for sure. But the Axeman is undeterred. Blood flowing from him he moves to the ghillie and delivers a blow from his axe that instantly kills him.

Theres only a half dozen people on the server now, most have quit in disgust or panic. Accusations fly on chat.

The axeman disappears.

For a few minutes I sit silently, realising I need to eat and drink I make a plan to dash to the shop when it goes dark. I mean pitch black, the server has reset its clock to the actual time. This puts me in a panic, I have no flares no chemlights. I don't want to swap out my pistol for the torch. My screen is black, I see nothing then I hear laughing. Not the laughter of someone who's happy, but a dark demented laughing of the damned. A voice asks if I've had fun. Did I enjoy the show. It sounds like a voice that the devil would toss aside as too dark.

You are dead.

I sit there for a few minutes, my heart is racing, the adrenaline and shock have kicked in. My friends jumps back onto teamspeak and tells me he found a tonne of dead guys with some great loot at elektro and that its nighttime. Checking the playerlist I see him and myself are the only players on the server so I log back in telling him the tale of what just happened. We spend the next hour panicking incase the axeman comes back gathering enough loot and gear to keep us well armed and happy for the next couple of days.

But I will never enter elektro at night, unarmed and alone again. I don't want the axeman coming after me again.

BTW if anyone is up for a run to Green Mountain let me know, I want to see if anything freaky happens up there with the new patch.

Edited by Mini G
  • Like 5

Why has no one referenced Bunnyman Bridge yet?

It's perfect - A guy in a bunny suit who murders passing people with a hatchet.

EDIT: The standalone should have many easter eggs, like the Green Mountain radio transmission myth. Except these easter eggs should actually lead to something.

Edited by Willy Wonka

Green Mountain is definitely one of the first places i am checking out when SA is released.

Cat, if I remember correctly, then this story was here in past. So you copy posts just to get beans, right?

They should put slenderman in the forests of Chernarus

But only at night after 1 or 2am and if shouldn't be a pleasant experience.