Sign in to follow this  
Lorax

What is the best way to leave a written note? I want your opinions.

Put the backpack down first, then drop something large like a jacket on top of it. Then put the note down. Hopefully they won't be able to access the pack until the other things are picked up first. Not sure if this would work, but it is definitely the case with other items stacked on top of one another.

• Like 2

But what about the people who double-carry for a friend?  Why would you have me throw away a perfectly good gun, just for the privelage of walking through your town? 

The last person I met that carried two guns, met me and my older, brother both geared up, on a backwoods dirt path.

He was able to explain the PM73 RAK that he was carrying was empty, and that he meant no harm, and was just carrying it until he found ammo.

Luckily, we all decided to be civil, and it turned into an interesting, and literal, 10 minute conversation instead of a firefight. 

Me and my brother are primarily friendly players [him more so than me], and he always carries two guns on him. I feel that it is unnecessary, and does more harm than good to drag an extra arm on you all the time.

But he is a certifiable perfectionist, and a loot loving fool, and can't bear to get rid of any guns he can carry. He is super friendly, and has just started playing.

Me in my 495 hours, I fear for him running around with his cherish guns all the time like that when he plays alone, without me to back him up and explain things to worried players. 

Edited by Deadjuice

Been away for a while, so sorry if this has changed, but at present I will never read notes.  They HAVE to make it so that a blank note has a "blank" icon, whilst a written note has a different icon, so that players can easily differentiate between them just by looking - rather than having to inspect or read them. 

Otherwise, I won't bother looking since it's just so incredibly rare to find one that's been written on and the risk of getting attacked whilst I am checking every note I find for that 1 in a million chance when it's actually been written on just isn't worth it...

I disagree.  There should be no icon or indicators whatsoever to identify anything.  Next people will be asking for indicators or glowing icons to show them where loot is hidden.  That is the first step to dumbing the game down.  DayZ is by no means a hand holding game so if you don`t like having to pick up a piece of paper to see if someone left you a love letter, then don`t

I disagree.  There should be no icon or indicators whatsoever to identify anything.  Next people will be asking for indicators or glowing icons to show them where loot is hidden.  That is the first step to dumbing the game down.  DayZ is by no means a hand holding game so if you don`t like having to pick up a piece of paper to see if someone left you a love letter, then don`t

Agreed. If anything all notes should be written overtop existing text. Like someone took a red pen and wrote over a page from Moby Dick. Making it more difficult to read and making it more immersive.

The inability to distinguish between a blank piece of paper, and a written note, is pretty immersion-breaking.  Maybe if the item was called "folded paper," then your argument would hold water, but those tire tracks are clearly of differing lengths.

I used to leave notes to a fictional friend about a nameless horror at Green Mountain, warning my friend not to go there. I'd put it in a backpack on a persistent server.

i like to leave notes in the middle of the road that say things like 'im watching u right now' or 'third house on the right'. then just hide and watch. i dont kill anybody. i just think its funny

No random empty tin cans in standalone, so open food can lying on a white substrate will most likely indicate a used note.

I think you are taking it too far. I believe I can glance at a piece of paper and see if there is a handwritten note, or whether it is blank or an old bill.