Sign in to follow this  
Lorax

What is the best way to leave a written note? I want your opinions.

It's been a while since I played, but I've been playing on Exp. lately and want to  try to pass messages to players via written notes now that persistence is getting better. 

I've decided to make a town a little in from the coast that has a police station my own. In doing so I was thinking of leaving a backpack with supplies for survivors and a note stating that the supplies are for them as is everything they find. The exception is I expect them to never have a fire arm in there hand unless they are killing a zombie or animal, otherwise I'll consider them hostile and will KOS. 

So where is the best place to leave the backpack. In the police station, just outside on the main street, the medical building, etc?

Should I have two back packs one with just the note so it is easy to see and one with the supplies, or would you take the time to read a note that is in a backpack full of supplies?

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

Been away for a while, so sorry if this has changed, but at present I will never read notes.  They HAVE to make it so that a blank note has a "blank" icon, whilst a written note has a different icon, so that players can easily differentiate between them just by looking - rather than having to inspect or read them. 

Otherwise, I won't bother looking since it's just so incredibly rare to find one that's been written on and the risk of getting attacked whilst I am checking every note I find for that 1 in a million chance when it's actually been written on just isn't worth it...

• Like 7

Any other suggestions?

You should find alternative ways to KOS people for no reason.  Clearly, you're just setting up a trap so that someone stands still so you can snipe them.  Whatever baffoonery you're setting up here looks way too complicated.

• Like 1

I would leave it somewhere that's not a natural spawn location, it's unlikely that anyone would investigate it if it isn't in an obvious high traffic spot.

I would not leave it indoors either, maybe:

-in the middle of main street

-at the front door of a high traffic building like the police station or hospital

-maybe next to a well

imo krazypenguin's suggestion definitely falls into the category of "Why haven't they done this yet?"  

The note should look different than a blank paper, so you could identify it immediately without having to 'read note' 

also another suggestion: now that nails are in, I'd like to be able to nail a note to wall or utility pole 

• Like 5

Wow, actual roleplay. Cheers to you for that, as that will be a challenge. I am in agreement with the statement about a different icon. Right now, any server with a population about 5 has me hiding and searching so quickly that I might not ever take the time to inspect a single piece of paper, only to realize it is blank. If you are dead set on doing it, you have to rethink the approach I would imagine. If someone is getting to the central location where the note is, they will almost certainly have a weapon out in the town BEFORE ever reading it. Besides, why the note? Why not just slap a hat on, with a blue law enforcement style vest and police the town? Give the rules verbally.

Either way, I applaud the effort of trying anything new, takes some balls.

• Like 1

I have long contemplated keeping a note in my backpack for anyone who might KOS me. As to the contents of said note, I am not sure what little nugget of insight I might pass to them.

You should find alternative ways to KOS people for no reason.  Clearly, you're just setting up a trap so that someone stands still so you can snipe them.  Whatever baffoonery you're setting up here looks way too complicated.

I disagree.  I would love it if DayZ had the ability to set up elaborate Rube Goldberg machines to KOS people for no reason.

• Like 2

I disagree.  I would love it if DayZ had the ability to set up elaborate Rube Goldberg machines to KOS people for no reason.

Yes, but that would be hilarious, and thus, worth it.

OP is setting up no hilarity at all, thus too complicated.  :)

I have long contemplated keeping a note in my backpack for anyone who might KOS me. As to the contents of said note, I am not sure what little nugget of insight I might pass to them.

I kept my first Hardcore (now "1st Person") character alive from December '13 to July '14. About a month into her life, I began writing notes and leaving them in my bag. I put a decent amount of thought into them.

Where did I end up dying after seven months? I fell ten or so stories through the staircase in the clock tower in Novodmitrovsk. No one would've even seen them. :(

• Like 2

I am right there with you.  I have carried around paper while looking for a pen - or vice versa - only to drop my paper when I realized I had no pithy or insightful words for said note.

Been away for a while, so sorry if this has changed, but at present I will never read notes.  They HAVE to make it so that a blank note has a "blank" icon, whilst a written note has a different icon, so that players can easily differentiate between them just by looking - rather than having to inspect or read them. 

Otherwise, I won't bother looking since it's just so incredibly rare to find one that's been written on and the risk of getting attacked whilst I am checking every note I find for that 1 in a million chance when it's actually been written on just isn't worth it...

Yes, definitely need an icon for that. Also I'm trying to think of ways to make the note seem really out of place to peak someones curiosity to look at it, hence only one in a backpack

Clearly role-play, and trying to use current mechanics to enhance game-play for everyone is too complicated for you. 

Wow, actual roleplay. Cheers to you for that, as that will be a challenge. I am in agreement with the statement about a different icon. Right now, any server with a population about 5 has me hiding and searching so quickly that I might not ever take the time to inspect a single piece of paper, only to realize it is blank. If you are dead set on doing it, you have to rethink the approach I would imagine. If someone is getting to the central location where the note is, they will almost certainly have a weapon out in the town BEFORE ever reading it. Besides, why the note? Why not just slap a hat on, with a blue law enforcement style vest and police the town? Give the rules verbally.

Either way, I applaud the effort of trying anything new, takes some balls.

Well I've tried to give rules verbally and that puts me at too much risk. Granted it's good for interaction and hilarity but I'm trying to play as I would truly in real life. I would have no problem sharing supplies with people, but also protection of one's self is primary...so your constant battle is weighing your ethics against survival. There are two main entrance points to the town that I can put a bag in the middle of the road. Hopefully that will catch their attention. If they don't happen to see it and get killed by me for running through my "home/town" with a gun out....well the end of the world is rough at least I reduced their suffering. 

Teddy Bears.

Ya I'm trying that too, but not sure if they stay as long as a backpack with current persistence mechanics. Also longevity is desired so I don't have to run around every day setting my messages up.

Story time: I think it was a year ago when notes were first introduced. Well at a military base when I turned a corner and was face to face with  a guy. I told him don't move, and then I see him start to put his axe away and I assume reach for the the m4 on his back. Well I killed him and in going through his stuff noticed a note. Well they were introduced  recently so I eagerly read it. It was a note to his killer, me, stating his mission was to find all the map pieces (remember when that was fun?) and now that mission fell upon me if I choose to accept it. He even gave his contact info. This was absolute GOLD. Needless to say I completed his mission and sent him evidence of it. He was shocked and happy that I took his cue and continued on. Well for a few months after that I would think of weird collection goals, and write a note to my future killer that if they killed me they were cursed to complete the mission. Nothing ever came of it though on my end.

Leave it beside a high value object i.e. an akm, a scope or a hunting backpack, and in an obvious to see location like the middle of the road.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

Leave it beside a high value object i.e. an akm, a scope or a hunting backpack, and in an obvious to see location like the middle of the road.

I like the high value idea, plus it is a gift showing good intentions...Hopefully they keep that AKM on their back. The only problem is high values are hard to come by and this area is quite a hike to some high value area. I don't want to spend my time running back and forth farming high values for this. Kinda want to live in the town and see who all comes through.

I like the high value idea, plus it is a gift showing good intentions...Hopefully they keep that AKM on their back. The only problem is high values are hard to come by and this area is quite a hike to some high value area. I don't want to spend my time running back and forth farming high values for this. Kinda want to live in the town and see who all comes through.

It doesn't necessarily have to be high value. If I saw a pumpkin on the road with a note beside it I'm going to think 1) someone has left a note and pumpkin 2) it's a trap.

The only bits of paper I've ever read were when they were in unexpected places. Last one was at the bottom of a hunting stand. It was blank and obviously someone was just clearing their inventory but because it was in a place paper doesn't spawn I read it.

And I think I've attempted to read notes maybe 5 times in well over 1000 hours

What would catch my eye, is the bag being in the middle of the floor with the note in front of it on the floor.  I would definitely read that.  As for nailing it to the wall, that would be AMAZING.

I used to leave a note to my killer with random stuff in it.  Most of it indicated that he/she better not mistake my regular bottled water with my urine bottled water.  Or that my soul will curse them with diarrhea for weeks, etc.  Basically, I couldn't come up with anything clever.

Edited by schwaBAM
  • Like 1

Clearly role-play, and trying to use current mechanics to enhance game-play for everyone is too complicated for you.

lolwut!

It's okay if you need to use 'roleplay' in order to justify KOSing.  Don't worry, you don't need to explain your douchebaggery to us. We still accept you.

Since persistence is broken and thus globally off everywhere, any effort you put into this will be destroyed up server reboot, which will happen several times per day. I'd either do this in a costal high volume town or wait until persistence is back again, otherwise it will be a complete waste of time.

I'd attempt to leave it deliberatly in the middle of maybe some food and rags. maybe write two, Throw one in a bag and one outside the bag. People will be more interested then, like leave 2 or 3 in the bag, that wil make them believe it could have purpose so maybe they'd attempt to read it.

• Like 1

Since persistence is broken and thus globally off everywhere, any effort you put into this will be destroyed up server reboot, which will happen several times per day. I'd either do this in a costal high volume town or wait until persistence is back again, otherwise it will be a complete waste of time.

This is on exp which has persistence

• Like 1

I'd attempt to leave it deliberatly in the middle of maybe some food and rags. maybe write two, Throw one in a bag and one outside the bag. People will be more interested then, like leave 2 or 3 in the bag, that wil make them believe it could have purpose so maybe they'd attempt to read it.

I like that idea and could take it further. I could take a book and rip out a bunch of pages and copy/paste my message on all the pages. That would probably peak someone's curiosity seeing a backpack full of notes, as long as they read one the job is done. 

I kept my first Hardcore (now "1st Person") character alive from December '13 to July '14. About a month into her life, I began writing notes and leaving them in my bag. I put a decent amount of thought into them.

Where did I end up dying after seven months? I fell ten or so stories through the staircase in the clock tower in Novodmitrovsk. No one would've even seen them. :(

Awww. :C

He mentioned in the begin that he's on experimental, where the persistence will be turned back on first. 

Whenever I've left a note, I'd leave it at the nexus of where people will circulate through a building.

e.g. Police Station: Not on the front steps, people rarely mill on them. Put it right in the middle of the main room, the one with the circular stairs.

One day, I was passing through Staroye heading west, along the typical route to Stary and ect. I was looting the whole town (I was pretty much at bambi, and was getting things for a friend as well), and felt a little guilty for leaving all the doors open and taking most of the goods, so I took what little was left, including a ton of food, some guns, and some backpacks, and left them in the police station at the aforementioned spot.

I left a note along the lines of "Hi person behind me, as you read this, I am in the next town over. I left the extra V36 out-front, and left any loot worth taking here for you. See you again!"

I continued to loot and leave similar notes on my way up. I'd loot and only grab what I needed, take anything worth looting the the police station, and write a similar note, but with a more desperate paranoid story each time.

The last one I wrote, I believe I was in Kabino or Grishno. I said that I had found a gun, and I was scared and done writing messages, and told them to pray that we never met, in case I shot them in fear [Military loot is everywhere near there].

Don't know if anyone got around to reading them, but it was fun. I hope to see something like that happen myself. 

• Like 1

I like that idea and could take it further. I could take a book and rip out a bunch of pages and copy/paste my message on all the pages. That would probably peak someone's curiosity seeing a backpack full of notes, as long as they read one the job is done. 

Did this many times before, Usually have a note left in my bag for if I get killed basically to make them feel bad. lool 

Trust it works.

• Like 1

I expect them to never have a fire arm in there hand unless they are killing a zombie or animal, otherwise I'll consider them hostile and will KOS. 

But what about the people who double-carry for a friend?  Why would you have me throw away a perfectly good gun, just for the privelage of walking through your town?  I'd recommend stating what you are wearing in the note, and asking them to please be respectful of the town rules.  Maybe also ask what they are wearing too; and if they are still up.   :P

The last time I left a notw was in Zelenogorsk, behind the piano house by the military complex.  I found a Black drybag full of good stuff, and a short MP-133.  I took everything, and put it in a tent, then I went back and left a note in a different bag, stating what I had done, and the exact location of the tent.  I was so excited to see if the help-yourself note, next to an extra pen and paper that I had left in the tent was of any use to anyone.

Unfortunately, I did all of this early in the morning on the first day of the .55 stable update...  No notes for me until persistence is back. 

• Like 1