Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

whats the plan for optimization?

hey guys. I took a several month break, but now im back. Ive noticed the game runs a lot poorly then it used to. Is optimization a high priority still, or are they focusing more on adding new guns and random stuff like that? I used to be able to play at 40-50FPS on medium settings, now on medium im struggling to get 30. Also, servers seem to be taking longer to load and most of them aren't even online. I guess im just wondering whats in store for DayZ optimization-wise. Thanks.

Forwarded this onto Brian Hicks, he should have a personalized reply for you within 15 mins or you could read the latest status report.

• Like 7

Once all the 'guns and random stuffs' is all in then they'll start to really optimize.

Forwarded this onto Brian Hicks, he should have a personalized reply for you within 15 mins or you could read the latest status report.

Very poor form. I made several exemplary suggestions on the direction that DayZ should go in  in my day, and not once did Brian Hicks give me a personal response, thumbs up or even a thank you! >:(

How come he gets one??

I am going to send Brian a stern letter letting him know that this is not good enough, and I expect a prompt reply with apology.

Edited by codestargod

Let's see what the new renderer will do first. Anyone know if we are going to see it soon?

Weren't people saying the game was running better than before just like yesterday though? Sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't played DayZ in a couple weeks.

Oh and I did see a post about them having a conference or something with Intel, AMD, and Nvidia, so maybe we'll get better performance if they add more support.

Yeah, optimization is late beta, no?

Weren't people saying the game was running better than before just like yesterday though? Sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't played DayZ in a couple weeks.

Oh and I did see a post about them having a conference or something with Intel, AMD, and Nvidia, so maybe we'll get better performance if they add more support.

it runs better because there's not as many infected roaming around. also they don't respawn. so if you are on a server that has dropped a ton of zombies, there are that many less things to load. (until the server resets though)

• Like 1

What patch were you playing "several months ago" that runs better than the game is running now? IMO this is the best patch in terms of FPS and performance that I've seen so far in development.

I saw an update from Hicks that the next 5 or 6 patches would just be doing 'random stuffs', and then they will have some more patches of 'gun adding'. I suspect that when that is done, they will have a few patches of 'adding vehicles', and then patch .72 is scheduled to be 'refined swimming strokes'. After that, full optimization is scheduled.

• Like 1

it runs better because there's not as many infected roaming around. also they don't respawn. so if you are on a server that has dropped a ton of zombies, there are that many less things to load. (until the server resets though)

Hmm, alrighty

Just tested this game out again after 6 months of not playing it. Also got my new 980Ti so i wanted to see how or if it did any better than my previous 980... nooooope. In fact, it runs worse than on my old 670. With modified configuration files along with most settings set to minimum i can barely get 30FPS in towns and around 50-60 in the woods. This is with the card OC to 1500mhz (core) and a i7 5820k at 4.5Ghz...

While not as bad as Ark, it's still a disaster. In the end i don't care that the developers say "optimizations will come later", the new renderer (which is coming.. when? I have seen it being delayed so many times it feels like standalone release dates all over again) better give it a significant increase as it's the only thing i'm interested in, along with a lot of other people.... If not, oh well, wait another 6 months and see what has happened. 

PS; sorry for my negative attitude, it's just that i want this game to be great, but everytime i try it out again hoping for change i get dissapointed.

Edited by grimsonfart
  • Like 1

Just tested this game out again after 6 months of not playing it. Also got my new 980Ti so i wanted to see how or if it did any better than my previous 980... nooooope. In fact, it runs worse than on my old 670. With modified configuration files along with most settings set to minimum i can barely get 30FPS in towns and around 50-60 in the woods. This is with the card OC to 1500mhz (core) and a i7 5820k at 4.5Ghz...

While not as bad as Ark, it's still a disaster. In the end i don't care that the developers say "optimizations will come later", the new renderer (which is coming.. when? I have seen it being delayed so many times it feels like standalone release dates all over again) better give it a significant increase as it's the only thing i'm interested in, along with a lot of other people.... If not, oh well, wait another 6 months and see what has happened.

PS; sorry for my negative attitude, it's just that i want this game to be great, but everytime i try it out again hoping for change i get dissapointed.

Why are you setting most settings to minimum? Crank everything to maximum. Your system can easily offload most of the processes to your GPU. I'm running with everything on maximum (system in my signature) and, while not achieving 100 FPS, I rarely dip below 50 in cities.

Tried maximum obviously, did not do much difference. Probably dropped the frames a bit more than on minimum but thats about it. I get around 17-18fps looking into cherno on maximum, while about 30 as i said on minimum.

Edited by grimsonfart

You don't optimise unfinished games...what would be the point?

It's so much fun that you want to do it again and again and again and again.

• Like 2

Since you guys tend to break as much as you fixed i can see where that comes from. Though i really don't see the point in completely ignoring it, there are lots of small things that can probably be done to help it. I hope to see the new renderer soon...

Ark isn't that bad now, Just don't try to run it on SLI/Crossfire setups. More over, I'd say gameplay and content wise is curb stomps dayZ SA. (and before the alpher police show up BOTH games are in 'early access'.) I really hope dayZ gets that level of player construction/Building/etc. also its worth mentioning how even well into the game the environment is a real and active THREAT in ARK. think your bad ass rolling around on your big bad stegasaurus? OHH SHIT IS THAT A REX!? *Dead* well there goes the past 10 hours.... (for what its worth I LOVE that the higher level dinos take HOURS to tame forcing you to sit there and babbysit thier unconscious body the entire time. finally a new game that's not afraid to expect longer play sessions then 45 mins to get things done.)

Ark isn't that bad now, Just don't try to run it on SLI/Crossfire setups. More over, I'd say gameplay and content wise is curb stomps dayZ SA. (and before the alpher police show up BOTH games are in 'early access'.) I really hope dayZ gets that level of player construction/Building/etc. also its worth mentioning how even well into the game the environment is a real and active THREAT in ARK. think your bad ass rolling around on your big bad stegasaurus? OHH SHIT IS THAT A REX!? *Dead* well there goes the past 10 hours.... (for what its worth I LOVE that the higher level dinos take HOURS to tame forcing you to sit there and babbysit thier unconscious body the entire time. finally a new game that's not afraid to expect longer play sessions then 45 mins to get things done.)

You are right, i just tested out Ark and it runs much better, still not very good though. I dont know how many people are currently developing SA, but i got concerned when i heard they were continiuing to develop SA in chernarus, using the same engine etc... I think my concern is justified. I probably have around 1000 hours in the mod and was hoping for something fresh, not the same old map with some new villages etc. I wonder what they could have been able to achieve with a different engine, say CryEngine (i have used this engine for the past two years). It would look much, much better and run much better.

A question to the developers, are you planning on replacing the vegetation assets at any point? They are really showing their age and should be something not "too" hard to do, plus it would improve the games looks a lot.

I have like 6-7 FPS right now, about half a year ago I had 15-20 in the wilds. 

It's so much fun that you want to do it again and again and again and again.

So it's better to add new stuff and feature to wonder why they all glitch like hell afterwards?

• Like 1

I have like 6-7 FPS right now, about half a year ago I had 15-20 in the wilds. 

reduce view distance, my config is lower than yours and i run at 20 FPS in big cities and 50-60 in the wilderness.

I play on a potato. After tooling around with stuff, I get 40+ outside of towns, and 25 inside major cities.
When .57 hit, the game felt a bit smoother, my FPS was a bit better. But there are several towns now that kill my FPS.
Beranzino used to have little effect on me, and now it's a stuttering mess. Same with Electro, I don't hang out in Electro for long since the patch.  
Cherno, of all places, works WAAY better than these towns. I've found myself almost getting 30 FPS here. Novo isn't much better than before, maybe a little more stable.
And those new school houses are a nightmare for FPS, jesus.