Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 30 Jun 2015

Thank you for the status report - I really like that it's detailed and also mentions technical details!

I think it's a good game mechanic to have a weapon sway that punishes long sprinting/carrying a heavy backpack. As it was mentioned by others it is important that the player has options to do something against the sway e.g. change position for weapon resting or go prone.

I know that the current system is just a placeholder - what I really don't like about it: the sway looks like the gun is plotting a mathematical function.

Thanks for the in-depth report on the new renderer.

This is really cool. I'm so glad that working mirrors (especially rear view mirrors in vehicles for 1PP mode) and cameras are features that you are planning on adding.

Are you talking about an actual workbench to build items on? Or is this some sort of software that has to do with the enfusion engine.

Can you elaborate on this any more? (or maybe Hicks_206?)

Thanks for doing Q&A on reddit. Problem is, I hardly ever check the /r/dayz subreddit because it is horrible. I'll make a point to check it regularly for you to post, as your and other devs direct replies are very very very interesting and helpful to read.

Maybe figure out how to update the "dev tracker" section of the forums to link to reddit every time one of you guys do a Q&A. Twitter Q&As too (as sometimes I miss these).

Go to the official status report here. This mirror on the forums doesn't have the videos, just thumbnails of them.

Workbench refers to internal tools used by the developers when working with the Enfusion engine.

Workbench refers to internal tools used by the developers when working with the Enfusion engine.

Are in-game workbenches for crafting still in plans? Advanced crafting was not mentioned for few months now. 

• Like 1

Are in-game workbenches for crafting still in plans? Advanced crafting was not mentioned for few months now. 

Yup! Primarily waiting for the implementation of the new UI.

• Like 3

Weapon Sway:

I think there still needs to be a bigger difference when you hold the hold breath key. In the videos I saw numbers changing, but the visual representation of those numbers was....not much really. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to hold my breath and for DayZ to suddenly turn into CS:GO, but I think your aim should steady a little more than it currently does. 

The problem is, in DayZ there are too many factors deciding what weapon sway might be that it could get really complicated. 

• How much gear are you carrying? (Weight)
  • How heavy is the weapon & magazine?(Drum mag/30rnd/10rnd) 
  • What is the weapons state? (Pristine, worn, damaged) 
  • Do you have broken arms?
  • Are you ill?
  • How far have you just ran?
  • What is the temperature outside?
  • Are you cold/wet?

My point is, how is someones aim going to be say if they're not carrying a backpack, using a pristine M4 with a 10 round mag, no broken arms, healthy, just ran 2k, its sunny, & they're damp...compared to their team mates whos carrying a large backpack, using a damaged M4 with a 60 round double mag, has a chipped arm, ill, just ran 1k, its sunny & they're dry. IMO this would be way too complicated to predict. 

For everyone advocating the current weapon sway, saying, "have you ever ran 2k and tried to aim a rifle" well no....no I've not but I've played fun video games, and I've played frustrating video games and do you know which one I prefer?? THE FUN ONE!

To the devs of DayZ, you might be very very clever and have some fancy coding that takes all the situations and more mentioned above into consideration and find something that accurately predicts each characters sway for every situation going....but ask yourselves....will it be fun? Right now If I've ran more than 100 metres, and run up to some unsuspecting dude stood still 10 feet away, I would have more confidence in shooting a stationary target 600m away while I was lay prone. If its a "civilian shooter" then why can I make the 600-800m shots lay prone, but not the 10m shots after running for 30 seconds? Make the close range easier, and longer ranges harder, not the other way around.

I'm rambling....my point is, you can do a number of things with the sway but just make it fun and not overly complicated with a billion factors going into IF I could shoot a guy 10m away.

ramblerambleramble

<3

• Like 5

Hicks there's something i've been meaning to ask you.

When i saw World Containers as a feature,i was expecting to see work on home apliances and furniture (fridges,cupboards,wardrobes,ovens) to turn them into containers.

However according to a recent Reddit post you explained that containers imply things like tents, backpacks, cases, etc.

What is the real definition and yout plans towards accomplishing this particular feature?

Week Four and still not a drop or a care about Tent persistence...

Or you just can't read. :P

They have mentioned in previous Status Report and on Twitter that persistence is top priority atm and they hope to introduce it back in 0.58 or 0.59.

When i saw World Containers as a feature,i was expecting to see work on home apliances and furniture (fridges,cupboards,wardrobes,ovens) to turn them into containers.

However according to a recent Reddit post you explained that containers imply things like tents, backpacks, cases, etc.

What is the real definition and yout plans towards accomplishing this particular feature?

I think Hicks was talking about world containers who are in-game atm and that there will be more of them like fridges etc in future.

Edited by viqsfrommars

I think Hicks was talking about world containers who are in-game atm and that there will be more of them like fridges etc in future.

I'm following development very closely and World Containers is one of the features i was hyped for,since we had the old roadmap.

Regardless,i don't think Brian mentioned or provided any substantial information on the subject.

The only evidence hinted the intention of such implementation was a very old fridge model,which is currently removed from the game files.

Weapon Sway:

I think there still needs to be a bigger difference when you hold the hold breath key. In the videos I saw numbers changing, but the visual representation of those numbers was....not much really. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to hold my breath and for DayZ to suddenly turn into CS:GO, but I think your aim should steady a little more than it currently does. 

The problem is, in DayZ there are too many factors deciding what weapon sway might be that it could get really complicated. 

• How much gear are you carrying? (Weight)
  • How heavy is the weapon & magazine?(Drum mag/30rnd/10rnd) 
  • What is the weapons state? (Pristine, worn, damaged) 
  • Do you have broken arms?
  • Are you ill?
  • How far have you just ran?
  • What is the temperature outside?
  • Are you cold/wet?

My point is, how is someones aim going to be say if they're not carrying a backpack, using a pristine M4 with a 10 round mag, no broken arms, healthy, just ran 2k, its sunny, & they're damp...compared to their team mates whos carrying a large backpack, using a damaged M4 with a 60 round double mag, has a chipped arm, ill, just ran 1k, its sunny & they're dry. IMO this would be way too complicated to predict. 

For everyone advocating the current weapon sway, saying, "have you ever ran 2k and tried to aim a rifle" well no....no I've not but I've played fun video games, and I've played frustrating video games and do you know which one I prefer?? THE FUN ONE!

To the devs of DayZ, you might be very very clever and have some fancy coding that takes all the situations and more mentioned above into consideration and find something that accurately predicts each characters sway for every situation going....but ask yourselves....will it be fun? Right now If I've ran more than 100 metres, and run up to some unsuspecting dude stood still 10 feet away, I would have more confidence in shooting a stationary target 600m away while I was lay prone. If its a "civilian shooter" then why can I make the 600-800m shots lay prone, but not the 10m shots after running for 30 seconds? Make the close range easier, and longer ranges harder, not the other way around.

I'm rambling....my point is, you can do a number of things with the sway but just make it fun and not overly complicated with a billion factors going into IF I could shoot a guy 10m away.

ramblerambleramble

<3

All good points, thanks for dropping by Break <3

Read what I'm replying to - in context to how local binarization is stored. Nothing to do with world containers - they are still coming.

• Like 3

Read what I'm replying to - in context to how local binarization is stored. Nothing to do with world containers - they are still coming.

That's good news!

Any further information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the in-depth report on the new renderer.

This is really cool. I'm so glad that working mirrors (especially rear view mirrors in vehicles for 1PP mode) and cameras are features that you are planning on adding.

Are you talking about an actual workbench to build items on? Or is this some sort of software that has to do with the enfusion engine.

Can you elaborate on this any more? (or maybe Hicks_206?)

Also, if you were interested (or anyone else who would consider modding DayZ in future), the Workbench editor is available with one of other Bohemia games - Take On Mars. 

It's of course not working with DayZ, since Take on Mars is not running on Enfusion, but it allows you to create pretty much anything and it's the "closest" you can get to actually modding DayZ, as both games will share a nearly identical scripting language. 

Edited by RaptorM60

On the topic of gun sway and hold breath:

Personally, I am really not happy with where it is.  In its current state, as others have said, it makes the gameplay frustrating as all get out.  PVP is a huge part of this game, it is the thing that keeps most people playing.  Look at any stream on Twitch, where are most people at?  They're at any of the current hottest PVP hubs, Cherno/Elektro/Berezino.

Survival aspects are important, zombies are important, but PVP with other players is the most important aspect of this game.  If the PVP is not fun and enjoyable, no one will want to continue playing.  Fun and enjoyable does not equal unrealistic/COD type gameplay either, which is a snarky response I sometimes see towards people who complain about the current mechanics.   

I would love to see the sway reduced/modified (the sway pattern is also really frustrating), and the time it takes to catch your breath shortened.  I don't know how much they should be reduced without being too much.  It could need a very small change to both to get the perfect balance, but I would love to see it experimented with in upcoming builds.

The first image with that tower...is something with colors,it give me the impression that is autumn outside.

Hi, nice report.

I have a question about one thing which always bothered me:

Why are the notch and post of the iron-sight ALWAYS in line? It looks somehow odd if the weapon is heavily swaying but the character manages to keep it perfectly in line; that makes it feel like the weapon is somehow "glued" to the characters head...

Wouldn't it be possible to split the sway of only the weapon into some independent sway(s) of the weapon and the head? Then the sway of the weapon could be reduced which would lower the (sometimes unrealistic) difficulty for low range engagement/CQB while keping the difficulty for long range up.

That should work, because at low distances more or less only the weapon sway is important while aiming: You point your gun roughly at the enemy and fire. At great distances you have to compensate bullet drop and time of flight, etc. and if you lower the weapon sway but add "head sway" that should keep the difficulty at the same level like now.

If its a "civilian shooter" then why can I make the 600-800m shots lay prone, but not the 10m shots after running for 30 seconds? Make the close range easier, and longer ranges harder, not the other way around.

That.

I know the system you should use for stamina, I've used it, and I know you won't find a more ideal fit for the type of game you're making.

I do want to stop for a second and say that I'm highly opposed to stamina for the sole reason that it will make server hopping for loot, an already nearly unchecked problem even worse, and will offer a solution after

misery mod, a free mod for the game "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat" did a lot to make the game more of a survival event, and a LOT of it could be used to improve DayZ, including the stamina system

the stamina system worked with two variables: ideal weight, and energy; both of these had roughly linear relationships, and one unseen static variable, stamina capacity

at max food energy, you could run at your ideal weight indefinitely; that is to say the stamina reduction for running and the stamina replenishment for your energy level were equal.

if you were at zero food energy (starving) your stamina replenishment was roughly* zero

if you were at zero weight, you could run (roughly*) indefinite regardless of hunger

* there was minimum values to negate issues with either extreme

As these were roughly linear relationships, running at your ideal weight while starving will deplete your stamina just as fast as running at twice your ideal weight being well fed (at max food energy)

Additionally there were consumables such as energy drinks and drugs that offered a temporary boost to stamina recovery separate and beyond the food energy recovery rate.

stalker was a smaller game and used weight as the sole barrier to capacity, so their ideal weight was higher and stamina capacity lower then what would be best for dayz, I would suggest starting with the values of 25kg for ideal weight and around a minute for running stamina to deplete while starving at that weight, and work your way from there.

other then the misery stamina system:

misery mod also listed the kcal(energy) of food items. which would at least be on any canned good, something that should be in dayz, I know cans have had their values changed, and not sharing this in game somehow is only making people more reliant on playing through a wiki, not cool.

the misery mod terminal ballistic system is based around the US NIJ Standard, non penetrating hits doing roughly 10% player damage, something to consider now that plate carriers have been added,,, and in case other vest are to offer any sort of protection.

and on the note of server hopping, infestation survivor stories  has done it the best of any game I've seen thus far, you cannot log out in a main city/military base and jump to another server, it will boot you to the outskirts of what ever place you were in, this will simultaneously resolve ghosting in pvp, and make it more likely that looters run into opposition getting back to a high loot area as well as delay them. this system could be improved upon by using a custom no hop zones for different areas, for example instead of just including the main building areas in the enclosure, you could include sniper hill in the electro no hope zone, and 1km around NWAF to increase travel time, which both increases hostile encounter chances and decreases looting viability. PLEASE look into this

any questions to this please ask

I am very happy weapon sway is finally being discussed officially with the development team, as it is a very important gameplay mechanic.

I personally think the sway design is very good but currently it is too strong. Combined with recoil, it is very difficult to control with an automatic gun. Even over very short distances it can be too difficult to hit someone. I have been in many situations where I had the jump on someone but sway has totally ruined the moment for me.

As another poster mentioned, the current sway encourages close quarter combat, and with current desync issues it is often luck if you come out the winner or not.

My biggest problem with the sway at the moment is that it starts after running only a couple of yards. This totally changes the way you have to play, and not in a positive way. Forget chasing a player who is running away, it is almost pointless.

You should be able to run at least 100 yards without sway being enabled, or have sway start slowly and get worse depending on the distance covered. Also taking a knee should lower the time it takes to recover.

I would also like to see hold breath completely stabilise sway even after running a long distance, but it would only work for a very short time and then make sway much worse for a few seconds after. This would enable you to chase a player and be able to take shots.

Running from cover to cover, sitting in bushes is fun but not for the 30 seconds it takes to recover.

I have full confidence you guys will find a great medium ground between realism and being enjoyable. Would love to test out some lowered sway and lower recovery times in experimental, and I think most players would prefer the change.

Edited by astrochimp
  • Like 4

Running from cover to cover, sitting in bushes is fun but not for the 30 seconds it takes to recover.

This is a good point and ties into my previous post about how other things need to be addressed before sway can be fully adjusted.  If you are encouraged to move cover to cover due to weapon sway, and to stay put for 30 seconds to recover yet can sprint at current speeds there is little incentive for the person being attacked not to just run away.

Trying to balance sway with current sprint speeds is probably a backwards way to go about it.  We need to have a standard pace set first, then balance sway to that.

I am very happy weapon sway is finally being discussed officially with the development team, as it is a very important gameplay mechanic.

I personally think the sway design is very good but currently it is too strong. Combined with recoil, it is very difficult to control with an automatic gun. Even over very short distances it can be too difficult to hit someone. I have been in many situations where I had the jump on someone but sway has totally ruined the moment for me.

As another poster mentioned, the current sway encourages close quarter combat, and with current desync issues it is often luck if you come out the winner or not.

My biggest problem with the sway at the moment is that it starts after running only a couple of yards. This totally changes the way you have to play, and not in a positive way. Forget chasing a player who is running away, it is almost pointless.

You should be able to run at least 100 yards without sway being enabled, or have sway start slowly and get worse depending on the distance covered. Also taking a knee should lower the time it takes to recover.

I would also like to see hold breath completely stabilise sway even after running a long distance, but it would only work for a very short time and then make sway much worse for a few seconds after. This would enable you to chase a player and be able to take shots.

I have full confidence you guys will find a great medium ground between realism and being enjoyable. Would love to test out some lowered sway and lower recovery times in experimental, and I think most players would prefer the change.

Agree 100% with every point.  Hold breath definitely needs to work in some capacity after running, but for a short peiod like you said.  That would reduce some of the frustrations with the current gunplay quite a bit.

Just to add something quickly & constructively I hope.

Is it possible for the team to completely finish a guns reload/recoil/bolt animations for all variables of scopes before that weapon is included in the game? 

The CR527 has been in the game for nearly a year, but has been completely redundant for 90% of that time because the magazines were so rare & you couldn't attach any form of scope. Now you can attach a scope, it suffers from what all bolt action guns suffer from in DayZ, an auto reload or chamber mechanic preventing you from seeing your target and leaving you looking at the sun..then the floor for a few seconds. 

Personally, I would prefer it if the modelers, programmers, sound engineers & animators completely finished a weapon & all its attachment variables before it was introduced into DayZ. So what if it takes longer, things would just work that way and you wouldn't have to keep going back to a gun to finish parts off. It sounds like the dev teams way of working anyway.... not wanting to double the workload in any area, I mean that's what you preach about right now and something I agree with. It would be so refreshing to pick up a new weapon, hear new sounds, and have it just work 1st time around. I'd rather wait and have stuff that works, not stuff that's frustrating to use or completely pointless.

Sometimes it seems some guns are shoved into the SA to appease the masses & spark interest in the game again rather than because its finished. For example, the AUG has still not received any attachments, the Mosin STILL auto reloaded 1.7 years after we first mentioned it directly to the devs & the CR527 as mentioned above was neglected for a whole year. PvP or straight up KOS is a viable play style, and should not be neglected by the devs. It seems their main focus for the past year and a half has been "survival" (from what....zombies??) and adding cars. 

What genuinely worries me is....the community isn't leaving because there's a texture bug on a pumpkin patch, or people can't go hunting effectively. They're leaving because they've not been able to hear the guy shooting them for the past year, or because the sway is so much you they can't hit a stationary target 10ft away after running 30 meters, or they pick up a gun and can't shoot it, or they're trying to shoot a guy 400m away but can gauge the distance because they cant see the round landing because their gun is reloading after each shot, or the guy you're shooting at is weapon glitched and is shooting you from a leaning position meaning you cant see him, OOOOOR the guys gun is just straight up invisible.... Alll PvP or weapon related stuff. 

Without this getting labeled as a "hate post", my point is a lot of current bugs are detrimental to the over riding factor of why DayZ was made so popular and why 90% of people play it......PvP. This is the area that needs focus right now imo. Weapon mechanics, & current glitches mentioned above need to be solved sooner rather than later and the overall PvP feel needs to be worked on heavily. I don't want new weapons, I don't want a "3 vehicle pack" (that will ruin the game), I want basic stuff that works when its added to the game. If it doesn't work as intended....don't add it please, or keep it in experimental. 

I'm sure I'm being unreasonable about some stuff, but I wish the team would remember what made the MOD great...and that's difficult because I don't think anyone can quite put their finger on it, but whatever it was that kept us coming back was built around PvP and the threat that other players offer. 

Lastly...

I HATE all the stupid pink shit and think its bad design choice for the look and feel of an apocalyptic game. Its straight up immersion breaking for me...like insta-catapults me back reality and into the little sadness pit I have developed for DayZ. Why didn't the film The Road or the game The Last of Us, have pink, blue & yellow stuff everywhere? I'll tell you why, because from an artistic standpoint it would have not fit the mood of either of those pieces. Are there pink and blue raincoats in the real world?....yes. Would they fit into a gritty zombie apocalypse based in eastern Europe?....probably not. The last of us had a lot of bright & vibrant colours which is unusual really, but they made it work because of excellent environment & character design. The colours complimented one and other and where there were vibrant colours, they were often desaturated and carefully selected to compliment what was around them. DayZ currently doesn't pull this off unfortunately and its no where near. I don't want a brown DayZ, where everything is dull and grim but I want one that is carefully designed and well thought out. Its like the modelers are choosing standard photoshop colours, not a level designer carefully thinking...would this fit? Would this compliment this? 

I don't know just my two cents. 

• Like 6

Weapon sway and the general heaviness of the weapons is something I'm not fond of, I get the idea behind it, but it just makes the game more frustrating then it already is. Pointing a gun should not be as hard as it is in DayZ atm. It feels like you are moving a 50 kilogram machine gun. Being out of breath, scared or panicked  are good mechanics for DayZ, in my humble opinion, they can add to the frustration and fear of the Apocalypse in a more realistic and plausible way. 

Weapon sway is important and it must be affected, by the characters vitals. If you are injured, sick, scared, panicked your weapon sway must be affected accordingly, the same thing goes for the feel of heaviness. If you have a broken arm, broken rib, dislocated shoulder, the weapon can feel heavy and difficult to control, but when you are all healthy, the heaviness must be gone!

PvP is an important aspect of the game, just as important as Survival. I love the devs vision for the game, survival must be difficult, scary and unforgiving. It should be so difficult that you will ask yourself, "Do I really have to risk it with shooting this guy?", "Is it possible that this guy has what I need to survive?". Brainless PvPing will always occur, its inevitable, but punishing the player with just the sheer difficulty of surviving in Chernarus.
For a big part of the community, the PVP experience is the most important aspect of the game. The thrill of the hunt is invigorating and the adrenaline rush you get from it, in Dayz is, unprecedented.
Just like Break have said, there are some really bugging elements in weapon mechanics department and because of them, the PVP experience suffer dramatically. Maybe, having  more advanced weapon mechanics is something that isn't possible with the current tech and hopefully the new system that the devs are working on will help this issue.

Survival is the other important aspect. In time, when the infected are working  as intended, they can be a huge threat to us in Chernarus, but as of now, they are nothing more than a obstacle and a frustration. Diseases with a complex systems are needed. Treating a cold, must be important, because it can lead to a more severe disease, such a pneumonia, quinsy or bronchitis. Three different conditions with different treatments. Walking for a long time with unsuited footwear on a rocky terrain (mountains, hills, etc.) should be able to lead, sometimes, to injuries such as sprained ankles, bruised feet and if you are sick, unhealthy and injured, maybe even fractures. Infections should be able to occur when we are traveling barefoot for a long time and treating them must be of the utmost importance for the player. Food poisoning, from badly damaged food is another plausible condition. Hopefully, in time we will see more advanced systems.
Hunting for food must become a very important aspect of survival, food should be scares! The animals and infected systems are true challenge for the devs, but they are of a huge importance. They must feel right and work perfectly. Bears and wolves should be a threat just as big as the infected and killing an animal should attract the predators.

I've the utmost faith in the dev team and the challenges that they are facing are huge, but the passion is there! Having followed most of the team in twtter and seeing the inspirational trips they are having is nothing more than reassuring. Thank you, Devs and please keep on working as hard as you have, I honestly can't wait to see what you've been up to in every status report, trelo post or even tweets.

P.S. Break pointed out most of my things, regarding weapon sway, earlier in the thread and he is right, a lot of things must be taken into account with weapon sway, but the current one is truly makes no sense.
Edited by elvisarhs
  • Like 1

Lastly...

I HATE all the stupid pink shit and think its bad design choice for the look and feel of an apocalyptic game. Its straight up immersion breaking for me...like insta-catapults me back reality and into the little sadness pit I have developed for DayZ. Why didn't the film The Road or the game The Last of Us, have pink, blue & yellow stuff everywhere? I'll tell you why, because from an artistic standpoint it would have not fit the mood of either of those pieces. Are there pink and blue raincoats in the real world?....yes. Would they fit into a gritty zombie apocalypse based in eastern Europe?....probably not. The last of us had a lot of bright & vibrant colours which is unusual really, but they made it work because of excellent environment & character design. The colours complimented one and other and where there were vibrant colours, they were often desaturated and carefully selected to compliment what was around them. DayZ currently doesn't pull this off unfortunately and its no where near. I don't want a brown DayZ, where everything is dull and grim but I want one that is carefully designed and well thought out. Its like the modelers are choosing standard photoshop colours, not a level designer carefully thinking...would this fit? Would this compliment this? 

Great points, but have you seen this? http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/220961-about-tech/

Edited by Coheed_IV

Lastly...

1000% agree.  I absolutely adored DayZ Mod for the atmosphere that it presented.  Was it a little weird that everyone was wearing the same clothes?  Yeah, but at least they weren't running around pantless with pink dresses and clown masks on.  

DayZ SA does not match the post-apocalyptic feel of the mod at all (yet), and a big big reason for that is down to the clothing/accessory "freedom" we've been given.

As for the bright and pink stuff, it seems to be mostly geared towards the female audience, whom I think would rather dress like these badass ladies:  http://imgur.com/iHB2TP2

Edited by smilingbounder
  • Like 1

I am curious about the new rendering and post processing related parts. amongst these things I wonder as a person who has used both Triton and Silverlining Weather simulation APIs from SunDog from which I understand DayZ uses, what version of this middleware is currently in use? as I see alot of developers tend to neglect things like updating middlewares(even the ones they still have access to newer versions of, of course I can understand the reasoning, updating middleware can cause major rewrites, but in my case the change was absolutely nothing in function calls) the reason I am curious about this is, because older versions of silverlining compared to the latest version there was a huge performance increase, in my implementations of it, it was about 70~75% faster and updating atmospherics could be done quite alot more often than previously.

Curious about the devs thoughts/plans in regards to this is.

Love technical dev updates.