kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

I dont think its as bad as you describe. It certainly isnt a walmart experience. And items should not be nonexistant like in 55. You describe that experience as if it was desired by the devs or actually desireable, it was not.

There is plenty of relevant items that are pretty rare. Glow plugs? car batteries? barrels? military weaponry? all decently rare. No reason to complain. The game is revolved around PvP at the moment - this was explained like 5 times already - because of lack of other things to do.

Plus, noone forced that playstyle upon you as you so describe it to have happened. That kind of playstyle is pretty boring, but its also the most safe one. But you chose this playstyle.

I tend to have the most fun if I just storm and go all in into things, like running straight up into the airfield with just a lever action. Got ambushed by a squad of 4 there, luckily I had a spotter watching my ass. Then I took 1 or 2 out, the rest retreated. It was just mosins and shotguns and those kind of guns there and it was fun.

That said, I look forward to zombie hordes and further improvements to lag, desync and loot.

Wanting all the loot to be extremely rare so you can play loot simulator and traverse the entire map for a working gun? Boring and uninteresting and never gonna happen. Loot spawning and availability has to be and will be tweaked, but actual scarcity is not a solution to anything other than killing the game.

Let's agree to disagree here. If I want to play a real PvP shooter, DayZ is not the game I will touch, simply because if I want only that, then it takes too long to get the action desired. No point in roaming an entire map the size of Chernarus then - I'm in med school and have enough other things to keep me busy than running around a map looking for someone to shoot. And if I just stay in Cherno, well, then there's better first person shooters out there.

You have your playstyle and that's okay - and the way development is going I think you are right and you will have it your way. I'm good with that, albeit I'd like it somewhat different. By the way, by implying that you can only have fun with a working gun in hands, you implicitly state what melee weapons are currently for - nothing.

BioHaze probably has a valid point. I did not play the mod and thus might have a different viewpoint from those who did play the mod, that's life.

That could be interesting, but it brings a whole lot of problems with it. It couldnt account for deaths caused by bugs and what about heavily geared people camping the coast? People would spawn in, scavenge for food in berezino and get greeted by AK fire on the streets and then uninstall the game I imagine.

The bugs would piss me off in that case as well, as far as your second scenario that's easily adapted to just like I do already. If I spawn in or near a city I get the fuck away from there as fast as possible and never come back because that would in all likely hood be the most picked over and the most common place to encounter bandits and cannibals.

I think it should and would be hard for the constant kos/pvp bads to survive the trip to get their AKs and make their way back there without dying from environment and such though. 

-snip-

BioHaze probably has a valid point. I did not play the mod and thus might have a different viewpoint from those who did play the mod, that's life.

It's merely a matter of prior experiences.

The mod had a BRUTAL learning curve and it took me a very long time to learn to survive.

You could spawn in and be surrounded by a pattern of stalking infected and if you didn't belly crawl your way to the first house, you were done.

It took me a massive amount of patience and determination to reach a level of competence that got me even off the coast at all.

That brutality is what kept some of us playing and when the SA was green lighted we hoped the level of difficulty would be similar once feature complete.

People who don't have the experience of the mod think that the current SA actually resembles DayZ, which it only does in cosmetic appearance and not in game play.

Because of the current feature poor state of the SA current testers (especially new comers) have adopted this beautiful game to suit a popular genre, shooters.

So they play loot and shoot with a broken RTS style floating camera and call that "survival".

I'm just glad that KoS is less referred to as a "survivor" style of play in recent months.

You're not a bandit if you KoS, or a Survivor, you're just a murderer (in the grand context of sandbox play styles).

• Like 6

Well, for me it's quite the opposite, but I didnt join up because of videos, but because it sounded interesting. And I was looking for a survival game. Early 0.55 thus was some sort of a highlight for me, although I'm not a fan of apple spamming either - but the scarcity of loot made finding it or fighting for it a real highlight. I also appreciated the then new infected.

late 0.55 and 0.57 were bummers then. Go to a guardhouse, pick your AK and gear, shoot around. And 0.58 seems to become a loot abundant version as well, albeit not as bad as 0.57. The only things challenging is getting a truck going - now, if you can do with the old jogging method, you dont need it and we're back to spray and pray. The M4 guy (jayfkay or so) talks about military grade weapons - well, arguably you don't need a mil weapon for a kill, a winchester with hunting scope will do the job - or simply pick a good gun if fire rate is what you look for.

Basically this all-availability of food and weapons takes away the challenge of survival - that's why it has become more of a WalMart simulator with an included shooting range to me lately.

Didn't believe the SVD existed, missed it the first time around the chopper, glad I made a second

SVD

SVD

(been a long time since I posted images in a forum, coudn't get the it working right so I just linked it, apologies)

I get that feeling every couple of weeks. Sometimes I need months to get back into the game, and I'm enjoying it for as long as it lasts, then. Usually when there is a new wipe and bugs from earlier versions are still not fixed, I take a break before I throw a fit (again). It's legitimate to be disappointed by Dayz sometimes. All other Bohemia games have mods that work better than the standalone. I mean, have you seen Exile for Arma 3? Hundred-something player maps, no building limit, improved inventory system and UI. And on top of that: all kinds of vehicles and hardly any lagg at all. Even with 30 people on the same spot and in one vehicle. And in Dayz SA we can't even shoot at each other properly, not only because of the gun glitch, but because the lag is real. We're not on the reported position, sir.

I'm not sure if the optimism of the devs about their release is not only going to make things much worse when they fail to deliver in time. They are not denying they may need a little more time (up to 6 months), to make the beta release happen, but imho it is chirpy optimism to talk about such things at all when only half the systems of the game are running and being tested and still cause major problems. When I read anything from Dayz devs these days, I treat it as "hypothetical". It could be real, but we'll only know once it is. A custom made engine is the backbone of every great game development, but Infusion is going to have the same problems as the Real Virtuality engine. It's just going to compute these errors faster ;)

Until we know for sure, try to enjoy what is in the game and have some fun with it. It is possible to enjoy playing without zombies, but they are really missing. As well as all the ability to help and rescue other survivors. Days SA is a game that has less compassion for others than the mods had in their darkest hours. Without the screaming and zombies tearing people up. Without the helping of other survivors and making friends and enemies that way, it is not even the same concept as the mod was. Granted, there is more to do already, but in the end, I want zombies to be the enemies and humans to be either heroes or bandits. It's so simple and yet we are still miles away from it...

edit-wrong quote I was trying to quote your other post you made about the vss a buddy of mine found it and its very nice not in .58 just .56 only one round we were able to shoot same silenced ak sound recoil was OK and the gun itself was awesome. It not in game for some reasoned can't remember along with a good amount of other items and a gun. Edited by DaNic2553
  • Like 1

Well, for me it's quite the opposite, but I didnt join up because of videos, but because it sounded interesting. And I was looking for a survival game. 

-snip-

Basically this all-availability of food and weapons takes away the challenge of survival - that's why it has become more of a WalMart simulator with an included shooting range to me lately.

It's a sad state right now but I'll always play to geared with a new patch/wipe, for the logs and science.

I'll just play A LOT more with infected around.

I'm hoping the next experimental to feature the return of respawning infected maybe comes with a bunch of new models/sounds/animations as a little added bonus for the wait.

• Like 2

Kinda wish you had not posted this in a public spot but I guess someone is doing it already....

I know what you mean. but on the other hand, everyone here can be on the lookout for fireplaces at the top of deerstand ladders.

• Like 1

Well, for me it's quite the opposite, but I didnt join up because of videos, but because it sounded interesting. And I was looking for a survival game. Early 0.55 thus was some sort of a highlight for me, although I'm not a fan of apple spamming either - but the scarcity of loot made finding it or fighting for it a real highlight. I also appreciated the then new infected.

late 0.55 and 0.57 were bummers then. Go to a guardhouse, pick your AK and gear, shoot around. And 0.58 seems to become a loot abundant version as well, albeit not as bad as 0.57. The only things challenging is getting a truck going - now, if you can do with the old jogging method, you dont need it and we're back to spray and pray. The M4 guy (jayfkay or so) talks about military grade weapons - well, arguably you don't need a mil weapon for a kill, a winchester with hunting scope will do the job - or simply pick a good gun if fire rate is what you look for.

It honestly hasn't changed much from the "glory days" when we first had long term persistence in .55. The backend means that "WalMart" now has a stocking manager. It's pretty generous right now, but don't worry, they want to make things tough, and the scale-back is mentioned in yesterday's status report.

I did love the rarity of weapons and matching ammo, and i'm sure they enjoyed that too or it wouldn't have been explored, now that the work that has been taking place since like .5 to make a no server down-time item distribution and persistence system, they can tune the numbers so that when Brian plays he doesn't think about how easy it is.

The best parts seen with the implementation of the CLE is the continued existence of areas devoid of helpful loot which I have seen a few times in the north west recently, and the reliable non-server based restocking of loot which makes coastal cities interesting and exciting, rather than empty or bursting at the seams depending on when you join

Helicopter crashes are starting to work too, which means you won't see as much server hopping, and the heli spawns are much safer to explore.

The only concerning thing I've seen is themed buildings, those are spawning the same item in multiple. They seem to be generated near each other (yeah there's a ticket)

Let's agree to disagree here. If I want to play a real PvP shooter, DayZ is not the game I will touch, simply because if I want only that, then it takes too long to get the action desired. No point in roaming an entire map the size of Chernarus then - I'm in med school and have enough other things to keep me busy than running around a map looking for someone to shoot. And if I just stay in Cherno, well, then there's better first person shooters out there.

You have your playstyle and that's okay - and the way development is going I think you are right and you will have it your way. I'm good with that, albeit I'd like it somewhat different. By the way, by implying that you can only have fun with a working gun in hands, you implicitly state what melee weapons are currently for - nothing.

I just play the game. Having a firearm or aquiring one is part of the game for me.  I believe modding will bring the game to its fullest potential at last. New maps the quality of Chernarus+ would be amazing, time to explore and discover again.

edit: regarding your second post, I dont need military weapons. If everyone just has civilian grade weapons that makes for fun and challenging gameplay. I view military weps as luxury and personally it gives me something to do: looking for them.

etc etc

Shoot and loot is exactly how I would call the game at the moment. I mean, what else is there to it?

The bugs would piss me off in that case as well, as far as your second scenario that's easily adapted to just like I do already. If I spawn in or near a city I get the fuck away from there as fast as possible and never come back because that would in all likely hood be the most picked over and the most common place to encounter bandits and cannibals.

I think it should and would be hard for the constant kos/pvp bads to survive the trip to get their AKs and make their way back there without dying from environment and such though. 

I think pvp will be more centered around north again. Unfortunately there arent really any environmental threats at the moment other tahn players.

Edited by jayfkay

Job security... good to see you're alive and well.  I don't frequent the other forums much these days, but figured you were out there doing your duty.

Up to my neck in work + waiting for a new build.

Edited by Super_Duty

Shoot and loot is exactly how I would call the game at the moment. I mean, what else is there to it?.

Plenty of things to do , people just see guns everywhere and think "i wanna use this on something" and no zombies = mo' trouble. I run around camp in the woods loot around and talk to anyone I see , 50/50 chance they talk to me , 50/50 chance they try and attack me ... Either way it's very interesting , I love meeting other people and having random things to do , I really hope .58 stable really curves the amount of gratuitous loot that you see in .57 stable ...

how many hours do you have in the game? I am not very good at smalltalk plus it bores me - so I let iron talk.

Around 1,350 hours but I've always been interested in human interaction from my first hour of dayz standalone seeing as dayz mod was just a constant kill fest with little to no survival properties at all for a supposed survival game ! I guess i just burnt out the KOS playstyle with all the different dayz mods i played (only two of them captured the true survival feel - dayz aftermath and dayz origins).

• Like 1

The mod had a BRUTAL learning curve and it took me a very long time to learn to survive.

You could spawn in and be surrounded by a pattern of stalking infected and if you didn't belly crawl your way to the first house, you were done.

It took me a massive amount of patience and determination to reach a level of competence that got me even off the coast at all.

That brutality is what kept some of us playing and when the SA was green lighted we hoped the level of difficulty would be similar once feature complete.

People who don't have the experience of the mod think that the current SA actually resembles DayZ, which it only does in cosmetic appearance and not in game play.

Because of the current feature poor state of the SA current testers (especially new comers) have adopted this beautiful game to suit a popular genre, shooters.

So they play loot and shoot with a broken RTS style floating camera and call that "survival".

I'm just glad that KoS is less referred to as a "survivor" style of play in recent months.

You're not a bandit if you KoS, or a Survivor, you're just a murderer (in the grand context of sandbox play styles).

I like games with big learning curves. It usually weeds out the right people. I would love if this game was much harder than it is. It should be a struggle to find basics to survive. The coastal regions should be the most barren areas IMO, hardly any food, supplies etc.

I'm not sure where the game is headed but I know where I'd like to see it go somewhat. Survival is a little too easy right now. Even on high pop servers, it doesn't take much to pick a few apples, fill up at the water pump and make your way inland to get away from all the bambi killers.

A week or so ago, I was killed in vybor, respawned in cherno, grabbed a few apples and topped off at the water pump and started making my way back to vybor. On the way, I punched an annoying guy to death who kept following me being very obnoxious in chat, looted some military clothes in balota, and was back in vybor in 20 minutes or so. Nothing near starving or thirsty. It was just a little too easy. I managed to scrounge up a makarov and a mag on the way, checking as few buildings as possible to speed up my journey.

Now if we had some zombies, it would've made it a little more challenging.

I've been a little on the bored side lately, just waiting for some updates and for this to hit stable. After looting for so long, chopper hunting, hitting up military bases and air fields, rarely seeing anyone, I lost a little interest. I still love the game, I'm just waiting for the updates to liven it up a bit. I miss actually being able to find cows and other animals to actually hunt and get pelts, make leather suits out of them etc.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy
  • Like 2

how many hours do you have in the game? I am not very good at smalltalk plus it bores me - so I let iron talk.

So this is serious not me being an asshole for a change, why do you play this instead of any number of of "shooters"?

I don't like small talk either but short nonhostile interactions seem to me like what the majority of of post apocalyptic human contact would be initially, hopefully being mutually beneficial. If you were in the situation this game is suppose to portray playing it like a a shooter your life would be short or you'd die of loneliness in the long term. I'm not a social person in real life but I do have a small need for human contact and feeling like I'm a part of something bigger and would try to bring back some form of civilization, if not whats the point of not just giving up and killing yourself.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure this is the guy who got suspended for a constant rant and multiple post/threads about how the game was broken because he couldn't find an m4 and the exact parts he wanted. 

Yeah. It is. And then when I posted something in a thread about the M4 and how people needed to trust that Hicks knows more than they do, he private messaged me non-stop for a solid 8-10 hours arguing about how Hicks was wrong. 

• Like 1

end content will be being set with vehicles and a tiny base. I am not sure tho, balancing around a base meta is pretty hard. on one hand you wanna make it something worth of your time, on the other hand you dont want impenetrable safe stash bases that take all the danger and fun out of the game. I dont know about that to be honest :/ I would just love a less laggy and slightly more dynamic game with working, threatening zombies and implemented bears roaming the woods killing everything in its path.

The big problem with bases is that no matter how large or safe you build them, someone will crack them - when you are not online. That is the fundamental flaw of all multiplayer games that allow basebuilding. In real life, of course you would be at your base and you would be defending it. In a game you will just get pissed about having lost all these items and having to rebuild the destroyed parts of the base. I agree it looks sweet and cool on concepts, but it would be a much, much better idea if we could claim existing structures, maybe even existing bases, by cleaning the areas from zombies, restoring perimeter safety and patching up the fences or gates. We could still have the tents for people, who absolutely want to make their camps in the woods and out of reach. The current idea of basebuilding for Dayz is just nothing special. And for devs that stress they particularly joined the Dayz SA development to create something unique, they sure are going a generic way there... 

• Like 1

they sure are going a generic way there... 

We have seen two concept art pieces and a vague mention that Peter has multiple ideas on how bases will be implemented. I'd reserve judgement until we see something in Experimental.

• Like 2

We have seen two concept art pieces and a vague mention that Peter has multiple ideas on how bases will be implemented. I'd reserve judgement until we see something in Experimental.

I can tell the general direction, though. It will be a two tier building system with an easier and more fragile base with materials from civilian spawns and from the forest, vs. more advanced base building, using military modular parts. For example sandbag walls, which will probably have to be filled with e.g. sand from a quarry or the beach/lakes. I bet you it won't be much more complicated than this. The only barricading we will ever see in this game are the lockpicks. If and when we can restore old industry or military installations it will only be done in the mods. What I wonder about is when we will hear about the workbenches or maintenance buildings again that were a topic about half a year ago. I think it would make sense to have those in, before any of the basebuilding, as they would probably be a target worthwhile protecting with a base surrounding it. The idea of these buildings was that you can repair and improve damaged or perhaps even ruined weaponry and attachments. 

Edited by S3V3N

Hi guys, I found a battery and a fuel canister which i have no need for, if anyone wants these items your more than welcome to have them for free. Can deliver/ drop off to near/ around the novaya petrovka area or you can come pick them up. Asking for a lift to Guglovo area if anyone doesnt mind but not a huge deal. This is first person only servers too.

• Like 1

Even a multi-layer defense network is only as good as its redundancy.  Whether you are there to support or not is mostly irrelevant if said threat is of greater numbers.  The one-offs will not be a problem for the most part, however, those determined enough will eventually make there way in. 

I can tell the general direction, though. It will be a two tier building system with an easier and more fragile base with materials from civilian spawns and from the forest, vs. more advanced base building, using military modular parts. For example sandbag walls, which will probably have to be filled with e.g. sand from a quarry or the beach/lakes. I bet you it won't be much more complicated than this. The only barricading we will ever see in this game are the lockpicks. If and when we can restore old industry or military installations it will only be done in the mods. What I wonder about is when we will hear about the workbenches or maintenance buildings again that were a topic about half a year ago. I think it would make sense to have those in, before any of the basebuilding, as they would probably be a target worthwhile protecting with a base surrounding it. The idea of these buildings was that you can repair and improve damaged or perhaps even ruined weaponry and attachments. 

What bothers me about base building is not people breaking in, but them breaking in when nobody is online to defend the base. Because that is what will happen all the time! Personally, I think bases should be attached to their clans and be put in "sleep" (passive) mode when nobody from this clan is online, making them 10x tougher to destroy then when somebody from the clan is online, and when the base is active. That is not without problems of its own, but in every other game I've played with basebuilding, all the attacks come when nobody of that clan is playing. No risk for the attackers. We need a way to balance this and defend against offline raids, because otherwise it will become a main focus of the game for all clans. 

• Like 1

What bothers me about base building is not people breaking in, but them breaking in when nobody is online to defend the base. Because that is what will happen all the time! Personally, I think bases should be attached to their clans and be put in "sleep" (passive) mode when nobody from this clan is online, making them 10x tougher to destroy then when somebody from the clan is online, and when the base is active. That is not without problems of its own, but in every other game I've played with basebuilding, all the attacks come when nobody of that clan is playing. No risk for the attackers. We need a way to balance this and defend against offline raids, because otherwise it will become a main focus of the game for all clans.

It's really not that big of a deal trust me , you are looking to far into it ... I play ark survival evolved , it has many many flaws and offline raiding is one of the issues but honestly that's because it's far too easy to break into bases in that game . Dayz developers have already stated how they want it to be a realistic , and challenging experience getting into anothers base . Oh and you're wrong about barricading they announced from day one (and just recently a few months ago mentioned it again ) that the "advanced barricading" would consist of boarding up windows and doors using scavenged wood , not just Lockpicking ...

• Like 1

Well decided to go do some exploring today and not even 15mins into my walk, i stumble across what i think is every civ tent in the server and one car tent. Sorry no pics as the steam overlay makes dayz crash for me. I signed my name, made a fire and hung around for 20mins or so but the owners were a no show. Was one cool moment for me.

• Like 5