Sign in to follow this  
codestargod

Dirty building interiors

The inside of buildings should have scratches, graffiti, garbage, puddles from leaky faucets, old food, buzzing flies and other vermin, blood and poop stains for decor.

There should also be random smoke and fires that start and stop at random times. In industrial sites, there should be be busted steam and gas pipes. Downed wires should surge with electrical sparks. Particles of dust should fill the air at different points. Grass and weed should be unkempt and growing out of control in the streets, on the sidewalks, inside and on top of some buildings. Trash should completely litter the streets.

There should be moaning, growling and wailing from zombies. The sound effects they currently make is tiresome at best. A few cars should have car alarms that, if interfered with, activate bringing in a horde of deadly zombies.

There should be angry packs of crows perched on the roofs, squawking and looking for weakened prey.  Packs of wild dogs should roam some larger towns.

As it stands the cities and towns simply look like unfinished and abandoned urban and industrial complexes, but do not reflect the ambiance of a zombie apocalypse.

There should be lots of human blood and guts casually laying around.

Furthermore, I am certain that if a zombie apocalypse were to happen right now, someone would have shit their pants in fright, leaving their business all over the floor and walls for other survivors to bear witness to.

Why has absolutely none of this been accounted for in any way, shape of form?

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 4

All those effects together dont make much sense im afraid.

All those effects together don't make much sense im afraid.

What do you mean they don't make sense???!

It s a zombie apocalypse. Society has collapsed. Things are all pear shaped...

Could you explain?

God. For the sake of the success of Dayz,  I hope that the devs do not share your opinion.

Edited by codestargod

It sounds to me like you're a little too into poop. Please keep your fetish to yourself, sir.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like you're a little too into poop. Please keep your fetish to yourself, sir.

lmao

I was thinking the same thing. He asked for poop twice! Someone please draw some poop on the walls for this guy!

lmao

I was thinking the same thing. He asked for poop twice! Someone please draw some poop on the walls for this guy!

It ain't a zombie apocalypse with out poop stains, by god.

• Like 1

Completely agree with the OP. A lot of those suggestions would go a long way to adding atmosphere to the game. I love the crows suggestion, they swhould peck the dead bodies. Reminds me of Resident Evil 1, back when it was actually a decent game.

As off-putting as it may sound, it would be realistic to have many of those things in the game; including ruined pants, and other evidence of people who were forced to hole-up in places without proper facilities.  Maybe come across a pair of jeans that's missing the back pockets, next to an area you would do best to avoid.  It might be a little gross, but it would totally make sense for piles of crap to randomly spawn inside structures.  Only way that it would be worth the effort and ick-factor, would be if you could get a chance of contracting an infection from crouching or going prone in such locations--especially if blood had been drawn, and healthy status has not yet returned to your toon.

Anyways, this seems like there are some good suggestions that would help to fill-out the atmosphere.  I'm pretty sure there are still significant structural and hopefully some small topographical changes--IRL, hills have trails, even game trails, that cut a fairly defined shallow route zig-zagging up them--coming to the map, so don't hold your breath for the finishing touches quite yet.

Also, great suggestions.

edit:  three "G's" for zag

Edited by emuthreat

The inside of buildings should have scratches, graffiti, garbage, puddles from leaky faucets, old food, buzzing flies and other vermin, blood and poop stains for decor.

There should also be random smoke and fires that start and stop at random times. In industrial sites, there should be be busted steam and gas pipes. Downed wires should surge with electrical sparks. Particles of dust should fill the air at different points. Grass and weed should be unkempt and growing out of control in the streets, on the sidewalks, inside and on top of some buildings. Trash should completely litter the streets.

There should be moaning, growling and wailing from zombies. The sound effects they currently make is tiresome at best. A few cars should have car alarms that, if interfered with, activate bringing in a horde of deadly zombies.

There should be angry packs of crows perched on the roofs, squawking and looking for weakened prey.  Packs of wild dogs should roam some larger towns.

As it stands the cities and towns simply look like unfinished and abandoned urban and industrial complexes, but do not reflect the ambiance of a zombie apocalypse.

There should be lots of human blood and guts casually laying around.

Furthermore, I am certain that if a zombie apocalypse were to happen right now, someone would have shit their pants in fright, leaving their business all over the floor and walls for other survivors to bear witness to.

Why has absolutely none of this been accounted for in any way, shape of form?

I agree that all these atmospheric things are missing at the moment but could enhance the immersion. There are some towns here and there that do look overgrown.

I'm guessing none of these things are in (yet?) to keep server stress down, we all know fps is a problem as it is at the moment. The magic optimizing may create more room for those kinds of things.

It would also be nice if flocks of birds get disturbed by human activity. Giving the position of someone away...or yours.

Not sure about many guts and stuff lying around (would het eaten by the dog packs?), it all depends I guess on how long ago it was all of this took place. There should otherwise also be bodies laying around that you should be able to loot, an item to prevent infection could be the already present mouth mask and maybe some surgical gloves.

It'd be better if they left cosmetic changes out of the game for now. 

I'd like to see some focus on getting the fundamental mechanics right and working before they worry too much about atmosphere and cosmetic changes. At the moment the hot bar and inventory are stuffed, zeds are clipping through walls again, dropped stuff is falling through the ground again etc etc. I say get that stuff working as intended and then we can worry about atmosphere.

I do definitely agree with most of the stuff posted in a lot of these suggestion threads though.

Edited by Nicko2580

What do you mean they don't make sense???!

It s a zombie apocalypse. Society has collapsed. Things are all pear shaped...

Could you explain?

God. For the sake of the success of Dayz,  I hope that the devs do not share your opinion.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against some nice ambient effects. However some of the suggested stuff go against each other - e.g. grass growing in buildings (might appear some years after the breakdown) / electric sparks (electricity distribution would stop few moments after power station is abandoned)

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against some nice ambient effects. However some of the suggested stuff go against each other - e.g. grass growing in buildings (might appear some years after the breakdown) / electric sparks (electricity distribution would stop few moments after power station is abandoned)

Dude... weeds can spring up in a matter of months of not being cut down, not years! Wind blows seeds and dirt which settle on the tops of buildings all the time. Weeds will quickly sprout over the next season if not kept in check. Sun, wind and rain will see to that. Some people even keep rooftop gardens that might quickly grow out of control if not taken care of. I am not talking about massively overgrown weed. I am talking about  small but noticeable shrubbery. Enough to let you get the feeling that there is no one around to maintain the city's infrastructure. In a single season, a building can become quite unkempt if building managers do not see to its upkeep.

Same thing with sidewalks.

Cherneruse has a massive power station. Say someone managed to get the grid up and running temporarily. Sparks should fly in some areas. This could be a cool Easter egg thing for the single player... to get the power grid up and running so that you could access a secret underground tunnel via elevator with more secrets and horrors/mysteries waiting inside. Underground, you'd meet up with all sorts of hazards including electrocution by stray wires.

Furthermore, if there are other areas on the map with small power grids, then this effect could be implemented as well.

With no humans around, aggressive crows and wild dogs might take over, and become more desperate and brazen, challenging the weak and defenseless

Some of those poor souls left behind before becoming dinner might end up schizophrenic.... smearing poop all over the walls. This is a must! It would be very unnerving to venture into an old abandoned warehouse and see poop stains smeared over the walls reading something like: "THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD.

GOD SAVE US ALL!!!". The guts and entrails of this poor victim might lay splayed out all over the floor attracting flies, the trash they accumulated in their short but tragic lives providing nourishment for rats, roaches and other vermin that scamper into nooks and crannies when you approach.

All it takes is a little imagination... and an aggressive bowel movement.

Edited by codestargod

Completely agree with the OP. A lot of those suggestions would go a long way to adding atmosphere to the game. I love the crows suggestion, they swhould peck the dead bodies. Reminds me of Resident Evil 1, back when it was actually a decent game.

Yes. Thee crows would perch at the tops of tall buildings, and at the edges of forests that face large open clearings. The danger sign would be that blood curdling squawking when lone travelers approach and are foolish enough to venture into a clearing patch without adequate protection (impenetrable clothes, head gear, etc.). The seasoned survivor would know that this is something one would simply not do!

This could be one of the major threats in open clearings. Your only hope would be to make a dash for the tree line and take cover if you do not have adequate protection. Your most valuable weapon in this case might be a shotgun loaded with buckshot, as these can do spread damage taking out a few savage crows in one shot.

Edited by codestargod