veteranninja

Long Range Scope?

I got my mosin and I really want to know where cna I find the long range scope.. Because the hunting scope is not working on the mosin...

the hunting scope is the long range scope now - try the pu scope, it should still fit the mosin.

• Like 1

The long range scope was removed. You need a PU scope for the mosin, like Elle said. If you want long range on a scope, try using the hunting scope on a Winchester model 70 (Alaskan), or the SVD. 

• Like 1

So i guess, the mosin is not a sniper rifle for the moment..

It is what you make it.

• Like 4

Not with an LRS or hunting scope caliber optic it's not... no more 1000 yard hail Mary's or Anthony Kongphan style berserk mode with the mosin.

• Like 1

It never was a sniper rifle in the first place.

It may have been used to snipe, and still can, but in no way was the mosin nagant a sniper rifle. You can say it's a bolt action military rifle, or Russian service rifle in WW1, WW2 and the Russo-Japanese war before World War 1.

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 4

the only sniper rifle is the SVD the rest are hunting or marksmen rifles the SVD is the only rifle that was manufactured to be a sniper platform that's in the game right now. and as for the mosin with LRS good riddance. so many folks want to snipe or be a sniper so glad i play on an RP server where you can't snipe folks you actually have to have some balls and confront the person and most battles are CQC the way it should be not to hate on a play style its just an opinion.

• Like 1

the only sniper rifle is the SVD the rest are hunting or marksmen rifles the SVD is the only rifle that was manufactured to be a sniper platform that's in the game right now. and as for the mosin with LRS good riddance. so many folks want to snipe or be a sniper so glad i play on an RP server where you can't snipe folks you actually have to have some balls and confront the person and most battles are CQC the way it should be not to hate on a play style its just an opinion.

How ironic though that you talk about "balls" while playing on a server with rules to make things easier.

You know what I do when some one snipes at me and I don't have a scope myself?  I go over and "confront the person," not find a server where they simply can't do it =P

• Like 1

Im on Dayzrp #2 and Dayz colony, Dayz colony is way better for action and pvp, sometimes Dayzrp is so boring and long...But a sniper can be useful in a rp to cover his teammates

• Like 3

Im on Dayzrp #2 and Dayz colony, Dayz colony is way better for action and pvp, sometimes Dayzrp is so boring and long...But a sniper can be useful in a rp to cover his teammates

Yeah, I lasted about a day on DayZRP. Granted, the ~2500 word application was worth the couple of dozen completely trusting dipshits I slaughtered.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

It was intentionally removed from the Mosin and AFAIK it doesn't spawn at all anymore.

The Winchester functions basically the same as the Mosin did before except it uses the hunting scope and .308 instead, and the SVD is a straight upgrade to the Mosin in terms of sniping ability, so you're at no loss.

The mosin feels a lot like a bit of a "pointless" weapon now, much in the same way that the cr527 did before it could accept the hunting scope (and sorta still does because its buggy) or when mags were rare. 

The problem being, you can find something better than the mosin in the same amount of time and it offers nothing interesting.  An sks with a pu scope is arguably better than a mosin, as it's more versatile for shorter ranges as well.  "Sniping" at the ranges where a pu scope is effective, you are still at a basic disadvantage to anyone with an aug, or acog/ak sight. 

It also ties in with the regular zoom changes as well, where medium range engagements are pretty much obsolete without a good scope.  The acogs/pu/etc are pretty garbage in terms of magnification and at the distances you're dealing with at that point, you can close the gap quickly turning it into a short range fight.  For comparison, in the mod the enfield was a very viable weapon if you had good aim because of the higher damage and the ability to shoot some one effectively out to about 300m due to the higher base zoom levels.

I'm not at all saying it's an ineffective weapon, every weapon is viable, but it just feels like it's fallen into that niche of why bother using it?

It seems you guys forgot about the Obrez, giving you a very powerful sawn off rifle. But the Mosin is now a more transition gun - use it whilst you collect 7.62x54mmR to use in the SVD later.

• Like 1

It seems you guys forgot about the Obrez, giving you a very powerful sawn off rifle. But the Mosin is now a more transition gun - use it whilst you collect 7.62x54mmR to use in the SVD later.

I find all the sawn off variants too inaccurate to be effective.  I don't see a point in using any of them rather than a pistol.

As for using the mosin until you find an SVD.  I've seen a single SVD so far so I think that's a bit of a pipe dream.  You're likely better off finding the gun first then the ammo, or just holding a few stacks of ammo doesn't take up much inventory.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think every weapon needs to be "good" and I really enjoy using the ones perceived to be crappy.  It's just I think some of them fall into the crappy category due to other mechanics more so than the weapons themselves.  Like again, as per my earlier example, the enfield was an awesome weapon in the mod and presumably you'd expect the mosin to fill a similar role but it just can't as is.

Edited by Bororm

Well the mosin and PU can zero to 1300m so thats sniper rifle territory imo,

also i have  tried all the guns with the hunting scope they look good and with some practice very dangerous! (blaze is best due to the vertical recoil you can see the shots land)..but the .308 feels weak 2 body shots to kill..

headshot at range are not always a option when the target is running..

but i still prefer the mosin(more stopping power it seems) just have to play a bit closer (up to 300m) for it to be in usable range.

would of prefer the repeater to have huntingscope than the .22 though.

Edited by WOoKiE_HD

long range scope was removed from the loot table - SVD is the new sniper rifle now (modern rifle.)

Yeah, I lasted about a day on DayZRP. Granted, the ~2500 word application was worth the couple of dozen completely trusting dipshits I slaughtered.

Good job, I might give that a try too. Can't stand these "no KoS" and "Kill = kick" servers that are springing up all over the place.