Connect3d

Fireballs!

When you shoot an automatic weapon in DayZ, there's a MASSIVE fireball at the end of the barrel, which is simply completely unrealistic.

Here's an example I randomly saw on Reddit today.

Massive fireball in front of the barrel. This does in no way what so ever happen when you fire a weapon.

I really think this needs to change.

Edited by Connect3d
  • Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_flash

They can be quite bright at night. Not so much during the day. Given that the video you posted was set during the night time (and why they edited in that fucking shake/wobble effect is beyond me) I fail to see the problem.

EDIT

Wait, no, OP is quite right. Found a realistic muzzle flash video here:

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 3

Merely a thing called "nighttime" my dear.

I see. like the "nighttime" portrayed in the vid you posted.

for the record - I am not your "dear" and to use such vernacular makes you sound rather pompous and aloof. I do take offense. 

edit: I did find a daytime vid if that helps any - its a bit longish but it is full on daytime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw

Edited by Elle
  • Like 3

for the record - I am not your "dear" and to use such vernacular makes you sound rather pompous and aloof. I do take offense.

edit: I did find a daytime vid if that helps any - its a bit longish but it is full on daytime.

Sup Elle?

yeah, I've used real weapons - fireball is very realistic on full and semi automatic guns.

Edited by Ori42

The flash is overall ridiculous, it's crazy white and opaque, the same whether day or night and seems copy-pasted across various weapons regardless of ammunition or barrel length.

This shouldn't even be a debate.

nwcLewn.jpg
0fizkui.jpg

ARMA 2 did it better.

FLkv7ye.png
lj0mMnq.png

Edited by Gews

Sup Elle?

not too much - just havin a lil fun at the expense of others it seems ;) did ya see the damage that guy does to barrel of that AR? craziness.

When you shoot an automatic weapon in DayZ, there's a MASSIVE fireball at the end of the barrel, which is simply completely unrealistic.

Massive fireball in front of the barrel. This does in no way what so ever happen when you fire a weapon.

I really think this needs to change.

This does happen in real life.  That's why they make flash suppressors/flash hiders.

This is one topic where my mind wanders away from reality and into the realm of thinking - It looks cool, I'm not so concerned if it's slightly unrealistic, it's certainly more realistic than the LED gun BeefBacon posted (which is obviously sarcasm), I like the look. Personally I wouldn't mind if it stayed as is. We want things to be as authentic as possible, but this is a game afterall and there's so many things that are not real and not even possible IRL (like zombies) that small things that heighten the experience and go beyond realism can be good for the game.

I find that the fireball is rather excessive as well. However, it's an acceptable workaround to address the problem of not being able to triangulate sound properly at the moment. General awareness levels in-game are far below real life awareness by leaps and bounds (especially 1PP) so having that extra bit of flash isn't a huge problem, IMO.

Hopefully during latter stages of beta they'll review this balance. Or maybe after the new sound module is implemented.

• Like 2

edit: I did find a daytime vid if that helps any - its a bit longish but it is full on daytime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw

Far more guns look like this when fired, and that's my point. The flash is very excessive, and it happens with most of the guns, and most of them do not create a giant fireball.

Muzzle flash lifetime is so short that your eyes barely see it during daytime, and also because not great illuminance. It is a problem for video game (limited fps).

Did you notice something in op vid ? -> always the same muzzle flash texture at each shot.

ArmA series didn't have this issue, there were I think 3 different/random muzzle flash textures for each shot. This kind of "missing feature" will probably be fixed in beta.

Then to have a compromise, I will suggest to have 1 among those 3 very faded and subtle.

Chances are volumetric muzzle flash particles will be introduced within new renderer, therefore current implementation might be just a placeholder.

What in the world is with the wobble in that video.

Also, while there is desync I think that guy was more "raped" by bad aim.

As for the flashes, it's never bothered me.

Edited by Bororm

"raped" by bad aim.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

"raped by desync" was the title of the video in the op if you didn't notice.