Persason

When will the Zombie count be up?

I posed the same question a week ago in this forum and it was deemed to be a useless and meaningless post and the entire thread was shit-canned even though only one response was negative. What I get is that players DO want to see more zombies or infected but hey its not my call. 

Of course everyone wants to see infected, but it's not just "put them in". It is a process that they have been working on since the start of the project. The AI has not yet reached the needed level of efficiency, they would use up too many resources on the server.  

I'm hoping by the end of the year we're getting up there in numbers.

(*speculation*) They seem to have this 1,200 number that they have been working with. They move them around, spread them out and put them together in high population areas for testing. When they get these 1,200 AI or so working to a certain level of efficiency. Then they can spread them out again, and develop group AI for them. I think this has to do with sharing the finite state machine or using fuzzy state logic. So then they can multiply the 1,200 into 4,000 or what they want with not increasing the processes. The server also has to be capable of handling more positions. I'm completely guessing and have no clue though... :huh:  :P

• Like 1

A unfortunate note I need to add now: Based on the developer's twitters, elements like tent persistence and zombies being reintroduced in their proper state (respawning properly), most likely wont happen until .58.

It's a shame, and has a strong effect on the game at the moment,

Obviously, PvP is dominant right now without the zombies.

I personally don't mind, because there is fun to be had with that. PvP.

PvP, but in a game with hunger, thirst, blood levels, and broken bones.

Once the game is gold, I will happily play some servers that are PvP focused, as long as they keep the tenants of the game intact. But I have just gotten my brother into the game, after expounding on him for awhile about the survival elements. [i brought him a copy Btw, instead of talking him into getting it himself]

He's enjoying it a LOT, he's already clocked 157 hours into it, [he sated from the .55 patch, btw] and I got it for him very late last month. And he's very good at games, he's gotten into several firefights, and usually comes out on top. He's gotten owned by KoSers, and then hunted them down and rektd them, for the most part.

But, he really is a nice guy, and from what he tells me, he YEARNS for the immersive wonderful typical social interactions accosiated with DayZ.

He's luckily had several in the meantime, but in general, .57 is the worst time for it right now.

It's a damn shame.

Social interaction is pretty much dead in 'DayZ' standalone, sadly.

99% of the time it's "hi" *bang*  > *You are dead*

The only time I have any interaction is with new spawns, because they haven't found a gun yet.

I recently switched to 1pp servers only, because the 3pp gives KoS'ers to big an advantage. I would personally like to see 3pp done away with TBH.

Whether we like it or not PVP is what 'DayZ' will always be about, unfortunately.

Of course everyone wants to see infected, but it's not just "put them in". It is a process that they have been working on since the start of the project. The AI has not yet reached the needed level of efficiency, they would use up too many resources on the server.  

I'm hoping by the end of the year we're getting up there in numbers.

(*speculation*) They seem to have this 1,200 number that they have been working with. They move them around, spread them out and put them together in high population areas for testing. When they get these 1,200 AI or so working to a certain level of efficiency. Then they can spread them out again, and develop group AI for them. I think this has to do with sharing the finite state machine or using fuzzy state logic. So then they can multiply the 1,200 into 4,000 or what they want with not increasing the processes. The server also has to be capable of handling more positions. I'm completely guessing and have no clue though... :huh:  :P

.54 was on the right track with the zombies. I loved the way they didn't announce their presence and sometimes their numbers were nearly overwhelming in some places, which was great.

I would love to see the day when I look through my binoculars and see 50+ infected milling around a town and have to say, "nope, not today Vybor..."

As it is at the moment, it's like "Yeh, whatever..."

• Like 2

.54 was on the right track with the zombies. I loved the way they didn't announce their presence and sometimes their numbers were nearly overwhelming in some places, which was great.

I would love to see the day when I look through my binoculars and see 50+ infected milling around a town and have to say, "nope, not today Vybor..."

As it is at the moment, it's like "Yeh, whatever..."

I feel the same way today I had a good little shoot  First I traveled from Severograd to Novodimitrovsk and encountered a good number of zombies after searching the tower in Novo and finding a wonderful selection of fire helmets and Axes I headed South on the coast road to  Solnichniy and then made my way west. On the route I shot about 35 zombies. And before I forget I did get beat up a bit in  Novodimitrovsk when I got jumped by three zombies and after dispatching those I got hit by a crew of three more zeds that got in a few licks before I shot them. 

in any case moving through the larger cities gives you more action but I sure miss those sneaky zombies in the small towns and villages  

I would rather have them completely off until they get them fixed.  I do like that you can stealth around them now, but the melee for players and infected is so completely fubar still, I would rather just not have to bother.  I mostly only shoot them now. That or just run.

Out of all the features in the game, I think the infected need the most work.

Edited by =ST=Achilles

0.55 was great with the zeds but too much on the "Bear-grylling" which made it quite boring but more of a challenge.

0.57 has harmless zeds and too much on the "PVP-Cod-kiddies-An ak for all" bit which makes citys exciting but the survival aspect pointless.

Now to find a balance.

Hopefully 0.55 zeds will be back soon.

I hustle around the map endlessly hunting for ammo game animals, ammo, ammo and more ammo; I like having plenty of ammo. I prefer killing zombies from as far away as possible I love watching them flop over.Just hunker down on a hillside behind some brush overlooking a target rich area with the sun at your back and start searching and shooting with your scoped weapon of choice. Screw tangling with multiple zombies with an Ax I do that when I have no other choice. Close range zombies deserve a sawed off shotgun or .45   But there can be no doubt that the zombies should hit harder than to do now. 

Edited by Xbow

My two cents. Zombies should spawn at a certain amount at server restart. People kill them, and the pop goes down. But the second the zombie count reaches a certain point, they resawn back over time.

• Like 2

This is exactly the kind of comment that I did not want. It is unhelpful and a waste of my time. I am well aware of it being an alpha and a n open world horror game with infected humans. So when will there be a decent amount of infected humans? That was my question if you do not know or don't have any educated guess then spare both of us from your useless comments.

uhm uhm, ( all things considered and with the information available from the devs your OP was a waste of time too ;)  )you wont get more than "itzs Alpha" dude...dunno what you expect....Noone can really comment on this since we cant know. We dont have spys in BI Office you know.

Patience is key here....

IMOH they turned down Z´s ALOT in .57 Also, animals have been reduced alot too...guess they test out things since...thats what Alpha is for too :D

As ist stands and with the bugged spawns the game is way way too easy in .57

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

After there were no visible improvement for Zeds in DayZ SA for months, community started the retoric of DayZ not being a Zombie game but post apocalyptic survival with added Zombies for more threat.

What a load of wet donkey dong.

Zombie count will be increased. There is no DayZ otherwise.

Edited by Calvin Candie
  • Like 1

Reading the posts on this forum can be very frustrating for those of us who follow the games development closely.

Yup, your OP was pointless and a repeat of 4 other threads that started when this update dropped.

It should be locked and yarded like XBOW's similarly pointless thread.

Why are repeat/pointless threads a "problem"...?

Some people who yell ALPHA have run out of patience with the lazy less invested testers who come here and ask questions which could have easily been answered had they bothered to follow the dev tracker.

A forum is not a chat room to be flooded and cluttered by repeat questions because there is no static record.

A forum has threads.

Threads are meant to be followed.

Follow the important official dev related threads with diligence and you will glean the info you want.

IF YOU REALLY GAVE A SHIT ABOUT THE GAMES DEVELOPMENT YOU WOULD FOLLOW IT CLOSELY.

Then when people deride you for ignorance, you take a holier than thou stance and suddenly we all get labelled as fanboys or shit posters.

Don't bother to entertain the notion that you may have been the one posting shit to start.

:emptycan:

P.S: TONS of infected are coming and they are going to fuck you up.

Survivorman?

Gonna have to learn to kill infected.

KoS asshat?

Gonna git raped!

I would give a shit about the games development if it was being developed.

• Like 1

Played last night over 3 hours going from kambiwobo to vybor and I DID NOT SEE ONE ZED. That's over 3 hours going from town to town, and didn't see one. Didn't see any pcs either on a medium populated server, but that's a different issue.

I'm surprised no one actually knows what's going on with them.

When, .57 hit, several things happened to the Infected:

• There are a few more total Infected on the map now [up from 1100 to 1240], and they have been redistributed from more smaller remote locations to more popular bigger towns and cities/areas.

• But, currently, they do not respawn when killed. At least not until a server restart, sometimes even not then. This is temporary.

• When asked on Twitter on the disappearance of the Infected, and when they'd be back, I believe it was Eugene that replied "Sooner than you think". I believe there might be a hotfix planned for .57, maybe it will turn on persistence again and Infected respawning, but I can't be for sure on that. 

• While they have admitted that the Infected's bad code does affect FPS, the choice to not have Infected respawn has little to do with the increased performance. The increased .57 performance was gained via tweaking in several different areas of the game, including engine and architectural. 

Seriously, I am glad someone finally posted this. If the OP is going to make a thread whining about zombies and their removal, then go on with a few replies about it, and maybe if he really cared about the game, he would read the DEV NOTES that explain literally every change to this game.

Social interaction is pretty much dead in 'DayZ' standalone, sadly.

99% of the time it's "hi" *bang*  > *You are dead*

The only time I have any interaction is with new spawns, because they haven't found a gun yet.

I recently switched to 1pp servers only, because the 3pp gives KoS'ers to big an advantage. I would personally like to see 3pp done away with TBH.

Whether we like it or not PVP is what 'DayZ' will always be about, unfortunately.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe it's the servers I play on, but I'm actually having quite a few friendly interactions. 

I was playing a few days ago with my brother, played for about 5 hours, ran into a number of friendly players. 

We were geared up at one point, met another geared player in the middle of the woods on a dirt path outside Dolina, and instead of shooting each other up, we had a friendly conversation for literally ten minutes.

This was on the [uS] Blue Waffle #3 server. It was 50-50 friendly players that day, good time. 

Other servers that I've experienced the most interaction in is:

/r/ DayZUndergeround [schizophrenic community, different attitude at different time of day/ on different days]

[=UN=] DayZ private hive #1/#2 [not exactly the friendliest, but almost always has a lot of players on, and there is a lot of fun to be had]

My advice is to stick with private servers. Not being able to server jump cuts down noticeably on PVP. People you run into want to co-operate more often, when they have to rely on the same server for loot. [NOTE: Sometimes with private hives, like =UN= #1 and #2, you can actually carry your characters over from one to the other. If it gets filled on one, jump to the other]

• Like 1

It's pretty unrealistic to expect a higher infected count before mid-beta.  Infected are a drain on server performance, the higher the numbers are.  Considering the game is in alpha, and not being actively optimized at the moment, it should be expected that the numbers will be lower in order to add game elements and mechanics successfully.

• Like 2

In it's current state - Day Z is little more than ARMA deathmatch with survival elements thrown in. It's a zombie game without the stars of the show.

The interest in survival gameplay stems from the challenge of surviving in a hazardous and hostile environment.

Without that - what are you striving to survive against?

Other bored players?

What's the point?

I can only hope that the devs see this as a priority, and have allocated significant development time for hostile NPC's.

Edited by ScramUK
  • Like 2