Sign in to follow this  
burmabaines@hotmail.co.uk

Problem with a key assignment

I changed the key bindings from day 1 of SA. Now when I strafe left (H) I also shoulder my weapon (or if I'm holding an item, put it back in my backpack). The key assignment for H is in red but it's not assigned to anything else. When I click on strafe left binding the H has "missing string" after it. this has been since 0.57. Does anyone know of a fix or should I report it as a bug?

Thanks. 

Hello there

Always worth having a peek in the bugtracker.

But, there have been known key assignment issues for a long time, so it should be on the todo list.

how high a priority it is, I dont know (should be allocated in tracker), so prepare to not be able to use your preferred key setup for a while.

Alpha, im afraid.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Always worth having a peek in the bugtracker.

But, there have been known key assignment issues for a long time, so it should be on the todo list.

how high a priority it is, I dont know (should be allocated in tracker), so prepare to not be able to use your preferred key setup for a while.

Alpha, im afraid.

Rgds

LoK

Thanks LoK

Pain in the arse I have to say. How so much money can be thrown at such a popular game for such a long time and still remain in "Alpha" will forever remain a mystery to me.

• Like 1

Thanks LoK

Pain in the arse I have to say. How so much money can be thrown at such a popular game for such a long time and still remain in "Alpha" will forever remain a mystery to me.

Hello there

Unfortunately, many folk just dont realise what goes into creating a game like this. Development really isnt slow at all.

Expect the full game in another year and a half or so. We're only at the beginning!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I don't realise what goes into any PC game, but I know most don't spend several years in alpha. I know DayZ is is very different to most other games out there. It is after all the only game i play atm but I think the general management of DayZ has been woeful from Day1. I'm no expert, but how difficult are key bindings exactly?

snip

snip

Hey dude,

This piped my interest, so I had a dig around in my config for you, to see if I could nail down this issue. First thing, there is a line in Controls/Development/Last help bound to H. Unbind this first.

With the latest 0.57 patch, we also had a new introduction to the inventory system, which brought a new line to the profile.cfg.

keyMoveItemFromHandsToInventory[]={35};

This new line is bound to H, this needs to be unbound from the config in order for you to use your H key again. To find out the number to any key, just bind the key you want to be used, into a bind you know in game/controls. ie; Turbo. Then just open up your cfg again and see what number it was given.

Just remember to use a bind that you will not use, that is not clashing into keyMoveItemFromHandsToInventory[]={}

F1uGZbt.png

In my screenshot you will notice I now have 2 binds, H is no longer clashing but J now is. That is because I changed this to number [36] =J.

Edit: forgot to mention. Once you have finished and happy with all binds and settings in game. R-click your config and mark as Read Only.

Edited by Nuggit
  • Like 1

I don't realise what goes into any PC game, but I know most don't spend several years in alpha. I know DayZ is is very different to most other games out there. It is after all the only game i play atm but I think the general management of DayZ has been woeful from Day1. I'm no expert, but how difficult are key bindings exactly?

Most games don't have a public and playable alpha (this is only a thing that became popular lately), so we have no idea how long alphas usually are. But I would say that it is normal to take 3-4 years to develop a game if everything is done from scratch.

Key bindings are just not that important at this point of development.

That's the issue of early access.  Most games didn't used to let people play them this early in development.  But then developers realized they can get people to pay for their game before it's even close to complete.

In DayZ's case it made some sense because it was a promised remake of a mod, into an actual game and it was something people were very interested in.  It was similar enough to the mod that players should have known it would be a bumpy road and what they were in for.  Of course, it brought in a lot of new players too that didn't necessarily understand the process.

For the most part early access is fairly terrible for the industry though, from a non-business standpoint (I believe any time a creative process focuses on money instead of the project it suffers).  It allows a lot of developers to start projects and not complete them while still getting often times the same amount of money.  It is bad for players because they are paying for incomplete games, and alphas/betas etc that in the past would have been free to them.  In the case of DayZ I don't think it is that bad, I do believe they will complete the game and that they are on track.  They had a reasonable pricing point as well, although I think it's still a fair argument that at this point in any game's development it should not be charged for.

Edited by Bororm

Hey dude,

This piped my interest, so I had a dig around in my config for you, to see if I could nail down this issue. First thing, there is a line in Controls/Development/Last help bound to H. Unbind this first.

With the latest 0.57 patch, we also had a new introduction to the inventory system, which brought a new line to the profile.cfg.

This new line is bound to H, this needs to be unbound from the config in order for you to use your H key again. To find out the number to any key, just bind the key you want to be used, into a bind you know in game/controls. ie; Turbo. Then just open up your cfg again and see what number it was given.

Just remember to use a bind that you will not use, that is not clashing into keyMoveItemFromHandsToInventory[]={}

F1uGZbt.png

In my screenshot you will notice I now have 2 binds, H is no longer clashing but J now is. That is because I changed this to number [36] =J.

Edit: forgot to mention. Once you have finished and happy with all binds and settings in game. R-click your config and mark as Read Only.

Thanks very much for the help. Problem is I can't find profile.cfg, just dayz.cfg which doesn't contain the line you mention.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the help. Problem is I can't find profile.cfg, just dayz.cfg which doesn't contain the line you mention.

The file is actually DAYZPROFILE and it's named as your windows profile name. It's not the .vars but it's the other one.

• Like 1

Hey dude,

F1uGZbt.png

Worked perfectly, thanks very much. I'm forever in your debt!

• Like 1

Worked perfectly, thanks very much. I'm forever in your debt!

No problem, glad I could help  :thumbsup:

Most games don't have a public and playable alpha (this is only a thing that became popular lately), so we have no idea how long alphas usually are. But I would say that it is normal to take 3-4 years to develop a game if everything is done from scratch.

Key bindings are just not that important at this point of development.

Yes true but a very simple fix.

I really wished Dayz people would set aside the Vehicle and Bus development bs and fix the stuff that we all

complain about every day..for example the Zombies. No one cares about new content and vehicles.