robophant

DayZ on consoles

"Just to be clear, console support does not effect DayZ development timelines & those versions will focus on each platforms strengths."

~ Brian Hicks on Twitter

If I had a dollar for everytime I read something like this from a game developer... :P

But seriously, are there any informations about future console versions out there? In particular about how does it mix with the PC version (if any) and what the functions/features will be for each plattforms strength?

Edited by robophant

Why is there no Xbox One section under "Other Platforms"? I know this game was announced for PS4 first a while back, but the alpha build is hitting Xbox One soon in Microsoft's Game Preview program for the Xbox One. I think the X1 should get it's own section because even though it's only the alpha version being released soon, it's still DayZ on Xbox One first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6gnsUDhrk

• Like 1

Why is there no Xbox One section under "Other Platforms"? I know this game was announced for PS4 first a while back, but the alpha build is hitting Xbox One soon in Microsoft's Game Preview program for the Xbox One. I think the X1 should get it's own section because even though it's only the alpha version being released soon, it's still DayZ on Xbox One first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6gnsUDhrk

There is, you just can't see it. ;)

The devs feel that currently there's nothing to discuss regarding the XBOX One release aside from pure speculation. It will be opened at some point a little further down the line.

Hm. Are console players going to be able to play on the same servers as PC players?

Most likely not due to patching reasons.  PC seems to get the main focus on updates before the consoles and are generally a few patches/updates ahead.

Most likely not due to patching reasons.  PC seems to get the main focus on updates before the consoles and are generally a few patches/updates ahead.

Not sure if the same applies to Xbox One, but I know developers had to pay pretty extortionate fees to push updates on the 360. Assuming that's still the same then the patches for the Xbox One will probably be merged and released and greater intervals compared to the PC version.

Not sure if the same applies to Xbox One, but I know developers had to pay pretty extortionate fees to push updates on the 360. Assuming that's still the same then the patches for the Xbox One will probably be merged and released and greater intervals compared to the PC version.

Depends on which one has the version first.  Generally speaking, games starting on the PC and being ported over to console after are usually too far ahead in patches/updates.  Even games life Warframe and Neverwinter are not cross platform because they are behind in updates.  They aren't even console cross platform between the One and PS4 due to the inconsistency in updates.

Even games life Warframe and Neverwinter are not cross platform because they are behind in updates.  They aren't even console cross platform between the One and PS4 due to the inconsistency in updates.

Games not being cross platform (at least as far as consoles are concerned) are more due to the fact that Sony/Microsoft would have to give developers access to their database infrastructure which is very rare and in most cases it won't happen. Cross platform between PS and Xbox is even more unlikely as the two competitors would have to essentially connect their networks.

• Like 1

Games not being cross platform (at least as far as consoles are concerned) are more due to the fact that Sony/Microsoft would have to give developers access to their database infrastructure which is very rare and in most cases it won't happen. Cross platform between PS and Xbox is even more unlikely as the two competitors would have to essentially connect their networks.

This is true plus a large part is the fact that you have to pay for Xbox Live to even access their network.

I agree with caboose here^, it has been tried before to cross platform multiplayer services and it was a disaster. The difference of input methods proved itself to be a large handicap for console gamers. In addition the closed nature of console gaming brings hacking down to a level of insignificance. 

Is there still no damn news on DayZ coming to console??? Its taking forevvvvveeeerrrrrr (I can be patient honestly ;P )

Give up on it man, just get a gaming computer. Day-z on console won't have half the stuff anyway.

• Like 2

Give up on it man, just get a gaming computer. Day-z on console won't have half the stuff anyway.

Yeah i agree to be honest

Yep

Let linus help you :)

Not entirely sure why anyone would want to play DayZ in low res and low FPS when they could just keep playing on a PC.

Not entirely sure why anyone would want to play DayZ in low res and low FPS when they could just keep playing on a PC.

Lol half the people playing DayZ at the moment are playing at low res and low FPS :) 

Lol half the people playing DayZ at the moment are playing at low res and low FPS :)

Sorry i should have clarified -

"when they could be playing on a semi-ok pc, that is similar in price to a PS4 or Xbox1 but kicks the crap out of both performance wise."

There ya go fixed it for ya :)

"lol"... really people still do that?

I'm not saying it will but.... Id love it if DayZ actually did come to console and actually did perform really well unlike what most you guys on PC keep saying! Gaming is gaming at the end of the day, why be-little consoles?

• Like 1

Sorry i should have clarified -

"when they could be playing on a semi-ok pc, that is similar in price to a PS4 or Xbox1 but kicks the crap out of both performance wise."

There ya go fixed it for ya :)

"lol"... really people still do that?

I think maybe, a lot of people who have the consoles don't want the hassle associated with PCs. They want to go out, buy the disc or download from the store and know that it is just going to work. And even though I love my PC and would not trade it for anything, I have issues with games that just don't want to work for no obvious reason. That never happens with my PS4 though. So how about people stop taking jabs at those with consoles and just accept that the game is going to be on all systems. The nice thing is, it will open the game up for so many more people when it is finally released and that is a good thing all round. 

And a PS4 in the UK is currently £279 (cheapest price a quick google search found)... Now I am not saying you can not shop around and find second hand PC parts and bargains all over the internet, but to be honest, if I had £300 and I wanted something to play games on for the next 5 years or so, I know which option I would go with. I would get the PS4 and never have to worry about the specs being out of date to run the newest games. 

And I still maintain, that even if DayZ on consoles has to run at 720p, the fact that they will be able to optimize the game for 1 standard setup will ensure that the frame rate and performance will probably end up being a lot more stable than equivalent PC setups. I would rather run a game at 720/30fps than a game at 1080 where the frames are up and down all over the place ala Arma 2/3 and currently DayZ... Just my opinion...

And yeah, I figure "lol" is still about... Though with the dumb idiot kids about today, its more likely to be "LEL" because apparently even text speak has to be misspelled at all times. 

• Like 2

I think maybe, a lot of people who have the consoles don't want the hassle associated with PCs. They want to go out, buy the disc or download from the store and know that it is just going to work. And even though I love my PC and would not trade it for anything, I have issues with games that just don't want to work for no obvious reason. That never happens with my PS4 though. So how about people stop taking jabs at those with consoles and just accept that the game is going to be on all systems. The nice thing is, it will open the game up for so many more people when it is finally released and that is a good thing all round. 

And a PS4 in the UK is currently £279 (cheapest price a quick google search found)... Now I am not saying you can not shop around and find second hand PC parts and bargains all over the internet, but to be honest, if I had £300 and I wanted something to play games on for the next 5 years or so, I know which option I would go with. I would get the PS4 and never have to worry about the specs being out of date to run the newest games. 

And I still maintain, that even if DayZ on consoles has to run at 720p, the fact that they will be able to optimize the game for 1 standard setup will ensure that the frame rate and performance will probably end up being a lot more stable than equivalent PC setups. I would rather run a game at 720/30fps than a game at 1080 where the frames are up and down all over the place ala Arma 2/3 and currently DayZ... Just my opinion...

And yeah, I figure "lol" is still about... Though with the dumb idiot kids about today, its more likely to be "LEL" because apparently even text speak has to be misspelled at all times.

Well said. I have read from developers that they can in fact optimize games better when the hardware is all the same. So just cause you spent the same price as a concole, for your new PC, its likely to run smoother on the console since they didnt have to worry about all the various brands and models of gfx cards, sound cards etc. just one set of hardware to max out its potential.

Ive got a nice PC myself i have been playing DayZ on since the mod started way back. I also have a PS4. To be honest, im very much looking forward to the PS4 version since thats what is connected to my home theater and big screen.

DayZ is awesome and unique. Id love it if everyone got the chance to play it no matter if it was on PC, PS4 or Xbox.

I still use "Lol" yea. The newer misspelled terms (misspelled on purpose) just seem stupid. When did being uneducated and retarded become cool?

• Like 1