ColdAtrophy

DayZ SA Modding: A New Map

They are perfectly legal to own if you have the money/patience. It's actually a very easy process, just have to get permission from your local sheriff and send the feds a couple hundred bucks for the tax stamp and wait for it to arrive. Then you have to shell out big bucks for the rifle cause civilians have to pay roughly 10x what the military does for an m4.

The closest you could do would be to get a Colt railed upper receiver with a 14.5' barrel and put an A1 or A2 lower (or any select-fire AR-15 lower built pre '86) on it. Actual M4s and M4A1s aren't legal for civilians that aren't very specialized dealers because their manufacturing began in 1994 and thus are post-May 1986 machinegun ban.

There are very certain conditions that people can get real automatics built after that date (legally) but it's difficult. In all honesty you'd do much better post-apocalypse raiding a police/military location or converting an AR-15 than you would trying to get one beforehand.

I would like to see a basic test map, with spawns for each and every item that is in the game.

This map can serve as a testing ground for weapons and vehicles and other such functions. It should have a target range, an airstrip, a mountain, basically one or more of everything.

If we can get a-hold of this kind of map in beta then bug testing becomes incredibly easy! Also players can learn to be effective through practice!

This would be wonderful.

Hell, it'd be even better if they took the Virtual Reality map from ArmA 3 and put that into the single player lists as a feature, although I don't think the devs are going to do that (nor would they spend time making an editor ingame either.)

They are perfectly legal to own if you have the money/patience. It's actually a very easy process, just have to get permission from your local sheriff and send the feds a couple hundred bucks for the tax stamp and wait for it to arrive. Then you have to shell out big bucks for the rifle cause civilians have to pay roughly 10x what the military does for an m4.

Thus why I said, "...for most people but AR-15s are everywhere." I was at a funeral/wake recently for my wife's relative who owned a gunsmithing shop. I would say over half the guests brought a tricked out AR-15. There were more handguns and a good deal of various hunting rifles, even a Taurus Judge, but AR-15s were by far the most common gun there. ;)

A new map! Here is what would be absolutely amazing to see! A map that gives you sense of travel.

I would like a lot of details that reveal what happened to the world.

-A highway packed with a traffic jam! Abandoned cars. Around 30-40-50 vehicles. Cars would still have loot. Some evidence why the jam happened (flipped bus blocking the road? Military vehicles blocking the road so noone would escape and spread infection?)

-Abandoned hermit camp in the woods! Someone who lived off the land right after the apocalypse. Several corpses are evidence that no camp is safe. You could usually find some badly damaged clothes there, fishing stick. A pot.

-Derailed train still burning! Zeds, once train passangers, shambling the wreck site. Kilometers before the train wreck, there would be an ambulance and police cars crashed by the road. They tried to reach the train wreck but oncoming car crashed into the ambulance.

-Huge lake in the wilderness, middle of the woods! Imagine Alaska. Bear country. You would struggle to see the other shore. It would be a place of great activity. You walk the shore and see campfires 1-1,5 kilometers away along the coast (when engine permits to see fires far away). Fishing, trapping, hunting, surviving.

I would love to see all this in one map.

Edited by Calvin Candie
  • Like 1

The 225 square kilometres around my house...

Seriously, a chunk of London, a chunk of suburbs and some rural Surrey/Sussex countryside.

I'm just trying to not suggest something north American...

• Like 3

Hello there

I'd simply (!) port over the maps from Iron Front. All buildings enter-able and they have a real Euro feel to them.

Plus, one of the (or *the*) designer is on the DAYZ mapping team.

• Poland Staszow 1944 (290km2)

Here's a size comparison.

rJ6oXNQ.jpg

Rgds

L

PS is Stasnov really 290? its big but i didnt think it was Altis big?

• Like 1

With the recent talk of full Steam Workshop integration and modding for DayZ SA, I began to think about the possibilities this presents for us. Of particular interest to me is the idea of creating a new map. In my mind, a lot of the initial fun I had with DayZ came from exploring the map and discovering all of the unique and interesting things the world has to offer. So, with that in mind, I have decided to begin the design process for a new map. I want to begin the earliest phase now, the part where a lot gets written/scratched/scribbled/typed/spoken about, while mod tools are not yet available.

I will also likely begin looking for help from other community members with experience in modding and 3D modeling as the initial design phase comes to a close, so if you are interested in participating, please feel free to PM me.

For now, however, I'm interested in doing some brainstorming on overall themes. I want to know what kind of map you fellow DayZ enthusiasts would simply go nuts over. At this point, no idea is too bold. If you have an idea, mention it. This is not the part where we say that something is too big to implement, too little to make it worthwhile, too difficult, etc. Any and every idea can lend to a design decision at any point in development. The ideas in posts that have the highest number of beans given will later be put into a new thread and a poll, so make sure to give beans when you like an idea. Above all, please be respectful and remember to have fun with this. Go nuts!  :P

well, my favorite was always and will always be namalsk, because the harsh cold, limited supply locations and additional challenges like bloodsuckers and blowouts really made the game how i think it's perfect

• Like 1

A great day-z map would be if someone could copy Michigan's Mackinac Island. It's a fairly small island with no cars, has a neat old timey town, TWO colonial era forts, and an airstrip. It's a combination of urban, suburban, and rural environments with a lot of rich features packed into a small area. With day-z nutbags running around it would be absolutely ridiculous. Since it's a historic area and tourist area there are lots of documentation and pictures for a talented modder to use.

Island overview:

northern-michigan-aerial-photo-mackinac-

1024px-Mackinac_Island_topographic_map-e

Fort Macinac:

mshda_shpo_20130716_nhl_fort_michilimack

Fort Holmes (currently being rebuilt to look like this):

FortHolmes2.jpg

The town:

6434755689_11f3293c2e_z.jpg

The Grand Hotel:

grand-hotel.jpg

• Like 3

Hello there

I'd simply (!) port over the maps from Iron Front. All buildings enter-able and they have a real Euro feel to them.

Never heard of those bottom four maps. Can you say some more about them?

On topic: Id like to see map made around Novigrad, with lots of swamps and river delta.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17539/QomProvince.png

Technically it would be AR-15s as M4s are not legal to own for most people but AR-15s are everywhere. 

All people who can own any regular gun can also own a full auto M4 with no licenses 

Back when I used to play Operation Flashpoint (pre ARMA), the modded snow maps were so much fun to play.  Modders had snowmobiles and snow vehicles (textures showed snow on the wheels and such).  With that said, playing DayZ with snow falling, with snow on the ground, trees, and buildings, it would bring a new feel to it.  Otherwise, a tropical island paradise would be nice for me, with pretty clear blue waters and palm trees for me to hug.  I've had experience with the Operation Flashpoint map editor, granted, that was over 10 years ago and I am sure it has come a long way since then.  But I remember it being rather fun to use.

Edited by schwaBAM
  • Like 1

All people who can own any regular gun can also own a full auto M4 with no licenses 

Full auto?  No.  Semi-auto?  Yes.

Personally I would love to see Napf or Taviana ported across, especially with 100 person servers as those maps are a tad on the big side... 

Outside of currently existing maps, I would also love a London based map, although I am not sure what would happen to the frames when you hit Tottenham Court Road or some other such place! 

Back when I used to play Operation Flashpoint (pre ARMA), the modded snow maps were so much fun to play.  Modders had snowmobiles and snow vehicles (textures showed snow on the wheels and such).  With that said, playing DayZ with snow falling, with snow on the ground, trees, and buildings, it would bring a new feel to it.  Otherwise, a tropical island paradise would be nice for me, with pretty clear blue waters and palm trees for me to hug.  I've had experience with the Operation Flashpoint map editor, granted, that was over 10 years ago and I am sure it has come a long way since then.  But I remember it being rather fun to use.

I was going to try to stay away from talking about my own ideas too, too much until a discussion really got going, but your suggestion touched on something kicking around in my head for awhile that might actually be able to satisfy a lot of the more common suggestions from the forums.

A snow covered map. A 15 level hidden miltary complex in and under a mountain. Rural sleepy mountain towns nestled around the mountain range. A transition to lower altitude. Plains eventually becoming miles of suburbia and a large city. 

I'm thinking Colorado I guess. Colorado Springs fits these ideas perfectly.

2Scq4ow.jpg

6z4l0bc.jpg

C4u1RiD.jpg

g0mOeyj.jpg

t5xuN7c.jpg

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 4

2Scq4ow.jpg

Have you ever seen Stargate SG1?

I would probably give up my first born if someone made a legit stargate mod with a bunch of alien world destinations :|

Edit: Oh no... I can't stop thinking about it... it's zombie pack mules all over again!!!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

Full auto?  No.  Semi-auto?  Yes.

it actually is legal to own a full auto, you just need to buy the tax stamp. the other way to own a full auto is to manufacture it yourself. if you manufacture your own full auto rifle the only restriction is that you can not sell it. that is why the feds are so worried about 3d printed guns.

The Last Of Us themed maps :3

I love the overgrowth in them.

it actually is legal to own a full auto, you just need to buy the tax stamp. the other way to own a full auto is to manufacture it yourself. if you manufacture your own full auto rifle the only restriction is that you can not sell it. that is why the feds are so worried about 3d printed guns.

It must be state specific because I know you need special permits in order to buy and maintain a full auto weapon.  What state are you referring to?

It must be state specific because I know you need special permits in order to buy and maintain a full auto weapon. What state are you referring to?

I'm referring to federal regs, but I live in PA so there is nothing extra that needs to be done here outside the fed crap. There is a full auto gunshoot near my town where regular private citizens bring their full autos(everything from tommy-guns to 30cal mg) this is hundreds of people. such a thing would be impossible if what you say is true. I don't personally own a full auto(I prefer semi or burst) but I go down with my cousin who owns a watercooled 30cal browning mg

Edited by hellcat420
  • Like 1

No they can't and they haven't been able to since 1986. Any full auto rifle assembled prior to 86' can be bought legally but anything after has to be registered Federally. Unless laws have changed you can't even drop in a conversion kit like an auto-sear. Semi-Auto M4s you could buy.... which would more or less an AR-15 carbine. AR-15 is a semi-auto M16 and M4 is an improved version of the M16 carbine.  

No they can't and they haven't been able to since 1986. Any full auto rifle assembled prior to 86' can be bought legally but anything after has to be registered Federally. Unless laws have changed you can't even drop in a conversion kit like an auto-sear. Semi-Auto M4s you could buy.... which would more or less an AR-15 carbine. AR-15 is a semi-auto M16 and M4 is an improved version of the M16 carbine.

With one of these bad boys

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

You CAN own a full auto. Or even build one with one of these cuties

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=490041020

It's perfectly legal with the correct paperwork (a Class III FFL is the one for full autos

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Machine+gun

Source- Currently applying for Class III, relatives and friends have owned full autos with these.

-Note to mods, the things I described and linked are legitimate and NOT illegal in any form, don't want the BATFE to raid y'all :p

• Like 1

Guys. Please. Can we just quit with the back and forth about the legality of owning automatic rifles? 

• Like 3

Guys. Please. Can we just quit with the back and forth about the legality of owning automatic rifles?

Well, since we are on internet videogame forums, probably not.

I want to see areas where you really get a sense of a story; an event that happened there. A burned out army convoy, traffic jams, barricaded buildings that were eventually overrun, roadblocks and refugee camps, that sort of thing. There's some of this in the current map, but for the most part it just looks like the zombies teleported in suddenly and nothing was really done about it.

• Like 2

I want to see areas where you really get a sense of a story; an event that happened there. A burned out army convoy, traffic jams, barricaded buildings that were eventually overrun, roadblocks and refugee camps, that sort of thing. There's some of this in the current map, but for the most part it just looks like the zombies teleported in suddenly and nothing was really done about it.

This is a very important point, I think. This is going into my notes for sure as a primary design goal. Thank you for your input.

Edited by ColdAtrophy