LanceroxD (DayZ)

ok So, Cholera.

Igot infected after a firefigth cuz i drank of my bottle forgetting that the water was from a pond(silly me). for my character has been a fairly easy sickness cuz i got way to much salines and some friends to take care of me, ( to the point that in the middle of my sickness , i've been shot 2 times by to different blaze campers on top of buildings at the same time, not even going unconsious) (also killed them then started to die to dehydration almost death, but again salines and friends got me fairly healthy again)

BUT here it goes the important part. what if i was alone? i would've tryied to stay safe, kepping my self hydrated ,maybe get some vitamins and charcoals. but i want to know if someone has survived cholera alone and how?

cuz maybe next time ill be alone, and i dont like to just kill me self and get my stuff back. thats not fun ;(.

• Like 3

Could try and ask random strangers for help I guess.

Antibiotics and keeping yourself hydrated and energized. I don't think charcoal has any impact on cholera because cholera is not a poison. You want to basically find a pack of pumpkin seeds, some lime, a hoe and a field shovel (in case of server reset you can have two tools to wear down and redo your garden plot) a well that is off the beaten path, and then hunker down and ride it out.

• Like 3

Yea ColdAtrophy is right. I think the sickness comes in 5 stages of color and you have to ride out each stage. I went to one of those little camp grounds in the middle of no where and planted a pumpkin patch by the well. They do have a medical building there too in those camps. I used the Syringe and bottled antibiotics , then vitamins. Then just keep yourself energized and hydrated while you go through each sickness stage.. I won't lie that it took about two hours (real time ) for it to leave. I was told later on that each time you inject yourself with bottled antibiotics it sends you to the next stage of sickness to hurry and get through it , but i have not actually tried it. If i get sick again i am just going to stash my goodies and then suicide and run back :)
P.S. I believe the charcoal tabs are for when you eat bad food. You can take them right after and you should not get sick. If you take them right away i heard.

tup%20copy_zpsjyd1a85y.png

Edited by LoveAffair
  • Like 1

Some real life first aid might serve you people well.This crap can happen in RL as well.

Charcoal Tabs are for poisoning. They help prevent you from absorbing CERTAIN chemicals. They will not help all poisons in RL and may make certain poison situations worse although that might be different in game. They will make  you sick in both RL and the game.

Cholera is a bacterial infection. For bacterial infections you take.... antibiotics. Cholera kills by giving you severe diarrhea which in turn dehydrates you and causes you to die. In RL antibiotics will shorten the time of sickness but you will still need to stay well hydrated and keep your strength up. In the game the same seems to be true. Because of this I carry antibiotics on my characters and ALWAYS purify water from ponds the moment I am done filling the bottle so I don't forget. 

• Like 1

How long has water born illness been in game? I've been spam drinking dirty water for months because I thought they hadn't added it. Never been sick. I guess I got really lucky

Edited by Fuerii

The best advice I can give you is just to not get Cholera, it is an entirely preventable disease and can only result from poor planning causing an emergency, or simply making a bad decision about where you like to get your water.  I have noticed that hydration seems to deplete faster now while running around, but I'm not sure if it is just because I usually carry massively heavy loads (like sawn off shotty and mosin, CR75, MP5, model 70, plus all that ammo, couple bottles of water, canned peaches, and sometimes a jerry-can full of water, lol).  I ONLY drink from wells, only been spotted and killed once; at Rogovo, and I was running out of a shed with a water bottle to the well, and I was in a hurry trying to meet friends down south.

edit: forgot, also carrying longhorn; and a magnum.  I'm not a hoarder, really.  I just like having ample opportunities to share.

Edited by emuthreat

How long has water born illness been in game? I've been spam drinking dirty water for months because I thought they hadn't added it. Never been sick. I guess I got really lucky

Same here. I was actually wondering when I was gonna need to start carry water purification tablets. Guess I've been lucky so far. Wells are plentiful enough that I'll probably just start planning my routes around them. In case of Cholera I like the stash your stuff, suicide and run back idea. No persistence though so better hope there's no server reset before you get back to your stuff!

Thus far i have only managed to get myself sick from pond water when i was already in bad shape (eg as new spawn let yourself starve a little more then go wild drinking pond water ) dont know if they intend on making it easier to get sick( or i have been lucky, while testing this as healthy i have drunk pond water for many days to no ill effect.)

Thus far i have only managed to get myself sick from pond water when i was already in bad shape (eg as new spawn let yourself starve a little more then go wild drinking pond water ) dont know if they intend on making it easier to get sick( or i have been lucky, while testing this as healthy i have drunk pond water for many days to no ill effect.)

I play with someone who always insists that drinking pond water is perfectly fine if he is healthy.  If he gets Cholera and starts begging for help, I'll make sure to rush right over and mercy-kill him because told-ya-so.  Unless it is confirmed that drinking bad water while healthy will build resistance to illness, I'll stick to  using wells and good logistics practices.

I play with someone who always insists that drinking pond water is perfectly fine if he is healthy.  If he gets Cholera and starts begging for help, I'll make sure to rush right over and mercy-kill him because told-ya-so.  Unless it is confirmed that drinking bad water while healthy will build resistance to illness, I'll stick to  using wells and good logistics practices.

Lol my comment wasnt a declaration that it is safe to do so (hence they maybe i have been lucky part) merely stating the testing i have done and the results thus far found. This is when i am trying to get sick to get an idea what i can get away with if i need to . On a play through where i intend to survive its well water all the way or using purification pills. Ya know its an alpha right so were kinda testers rather than players yes???

Lol my comment wasnt a declaration that it is safe to do so (hence they maybe i have been lucky part) merely stating the testing i have done and the results thus far found. This is when i am trying to get sick to get an idea what i can get away with if i need to . On a play through where i intend to survive its well water all the way or using purification pills. Ya know its an alpha right so were kinda testers rather than players yes???

You can test getting sick, I'll test not getting sick.  I've only ever vomited once, and it was because of a server with status bar issues.  I vomited as soon as I logged into a friend's current server.  I'm still wondering if eating charcoal tabs to "wash down" raw chicken is intended mechanics, or soon to be a thing of the past.

You can test getting sick, I'll test not getting sick.  I've only ever vomited once, and it was because of a server with status bar issues.  I vomited as soon as I logged into a friend's current server.  I'm still wondering if eating charcoal tabs to "wash down" raw chicken is intended mechanics, or soon to be a thing of the past.

Geez i cant remember how many times i have made my character vomit from the start of SA dec 2013 till now. Drinking disinfectiant ,petrol, eating rotten food as healthy as starving etc etc etc and then trying to find what might help stop it (i have been doing this quite alot ,ill start playing to survive then when i get to the point i am basicly fully geared with no chance of death apart from player bullet. So with a patch like .57 where there is so much loot i could start a supermarket/ gun shop after an hour i get to test alot.

Antibiotics and keeping yourself hydrated and energized. I don't think charcoal has any impact on cholera because cholera is not a poison. You want to basically find a pack of pumpkin seeds, some lime, a hoe and a field shovel (in case of server reset you can have two tools to wear down and redo your garden plot) a well that is off the beaten path, and then hunker down and ride it out.

I cured myself from what I assumed to be dysentery by drinking plenty of good water eating and taking antibiotics I had to stay close to a pump to stay hydrated and every time I succumbed to the diarrhea I had to rehydrate eat and take more antibiotics. It took awhile but I survived. The first time I died from the disease. if you drink too much you will vomit and the drugs and chow are wasted.  

Edited by Xbow

-snip-

Might come in handy once advaned illness mechanics are in.  I mostly test loot spawns.  That way if I get sick from drinking from a left-behind water bottle from which a sick person had drank, I will know where to go to find treatment.  I really hope that illnesses other than poisonings will have much slower and longer onset and duration, respectively; maybe less acute symptoms would be apprpraite at first sign of sickness. I'd like to see the first stage of illnesses sap health a bit --like when running barefoot cross-country-- before causing acute dehydration.

I cured myself from what I assumed to be dysentery by drinking plenty of good water eating and taking antibiotics I had to stay close to a pump to stay hydrated and every time I succumbed to the diarrhea I had to rehydrate eat and take more antibiotics. It took awhile but I survived. The first time I died from the disease. if you drink too much you will vomit and the drugs and chow are wasted.  

Does diarrheah make you stop and croutch for a few seconds?  Honest question; it seems like it would be appropriate.

Edited by emuthreat

For a bit. (but i mainly play experimental branch)  But the chance of getting cholera is linked to your health... healthy and the chance is very low, very unhealthy (low blood) the chance is very high!  Basically drinking from ponds when at full health is fine.

Bottles & canteens also have a cholera potential.  ideally you should be spraying them with disinfectant before use. 

Edited by MadTommy

you have a higher chance of getting infected by unclean water when you aren't energized, hydrated and healthy

next time if you get killed, try drinking a lot from a pond right after spawning, that normally gives you cholera

Does diarrheah make you stop and croutch for a few seconds?  Honest question; it seems like it would be appropriate.

I don't recall crouching but groaning did occur and the action is outside your control as is vomiting. But I agree in that case you should shit your pants (and damage your trousers) and be inactive for a few seconds at least.   

This guys experience is just about standard I think  

Edited by Xbow

Bottles & canteens also have a cholera potential.  ideally you should be spraying them with disinfectant before use. 

Not in my experience and how would spraying the outside prevent Cholera which is water borne bacteria typically from fecal material? If you got cholera from water bottles it would be in the water not on the outside of the bottle. 

Now that is not to say someone might have filled a bottle from a pond and then dropped it somewhere... I don't trust 100% full bottles and there are ways to make them less full without drinking out of them... but without persistence I can't see anyone taking the time to grief someone they will likely never even see.