Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

Sword damage worse than ever

For anyone curious, the damage still sucks.  At least you can look cool with your helmet too now though.

gimJq70.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunate, i guess Axe is still king of the meelee war.

Axe and sword should be pretty close. Off-topic I like stone knife for one-on-one melee fight. Hit, avoid, wait for exsanguination, killed many people that way.

Yeah, if you're a low-gear against low-gear it turns into a game of whoever can bleed the other guy first, then you just play vulture and shadow the sap until the sap has all but gone hard.

Borom suggests that they're not quite the same (though i think the Jul2105/~op suggested that the stats are similar).  Maybe it's more to do with hit detection or something, like a 'sweet spot' akin to dark souls?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

To be honest I haven't done any rigorous testing on it this patch, but my limited use against a couple guys and some zombies seemed pretty inline with how it was last patch.  I intend to use it till I die at least, so if I get any better information out of it I'll be sure to update.  With flashbangs being pretty common as well as possible potential with smoke grenades I'm semi hopeful to get some action with it =P

As to the stone knife, it seems like a really good weapon.  I've used it to pretty great effect on the coast, I'd say aside from an axe it's likely one of the best melee weapons you could use.  You've essentially got the ease/precision of punching but also cause bleeding.

Unfortunate, i guess Axe is still king of the meelee war.

I prefer Stun Baton with battery. It is so underestimated by players but this is a beast. People go unconcious so fast and all you need is to finish them on the ground.

• Like 1

I've never really given the stun/telescopic/prod a go...

Good to know they're good for non-lethal and discretionary follow up though.

I prefer Stun Baton with battery. It is so underestimated by players but this is a beast. People go unconcious so fast and all you need is to finish them on the ground.

I've heard these are quite effective so often I pick them up, but I never find a battery and end up dropping them. I don't see them used much. Last time I tried it... 0.53, 0.54?

I've heard these are quite effective so often I pick them up, but I never find a battery and end up dropping them. I don't see them used much. Last time I tried it... 0.53, 0.54?

In 0.58, battery was your spawn item, so i was just running to the nearest police station, there are always tons of stun batons, and was the king of police station.

Now obviously it's a little bit harder

In 0.58, battery was your spawn item, so i was just running to the nearest police station, there are always tons of stun batons, and was the king of police station.

Now obviously it's a little bit harder

Stun baton is my go to weapon as well , all you need to do is scour sheds looking for batteries , They are tough but worth it especially if you're also looking for car parts !

THis is gonna be fun to see, i mean when talking about realism you do need to concider letting a sword do more damage than it does now

Because of the speed the sword hits at (if you don't miss), and the way zombies stagger now, it's actually pretty decent for killing zombies so I'll give it that.

• Like 1

Don't mess with a fucking stormtrooper, you need a lightsaber, not a crappy sword !!!

actually, i am suprised that the stormtrooper hit at that distance, normally they are pretty inaccurate xD

actually, i am suprised that the stormtrooper hit at that distance, normally they are pretty inaccurate xD

if you look more closely, you'll see the stormtrooper aim is totally off (as always !). DayZ is the only place in the world where a stormtrooper can actually hit something, and it due to the massive desynch !

• Like 1

I've never really given the stun/telescopic/prod a go...

Good to know they're good for non-lethal and discretionary follow up though.

Work well on Zombies and Players. One hit tends to drop them. Second hit on a zombie kills it, or at least did the last time I had one. Players don't expect to be dropped unconscious with one hit from one. Works great when ambushing someone in CQC. Zap, they are down, and then you can finish them off with that or something else or even handcuff them. Looting some people is more painful to them than killing them. ;)

• Like 1

Here's one of my better sword encounters, unfortunately fraps didn't get my mic.  I'm just posting this so people can get a sense of the damage.  Bear in mind the second guy especially has been shot by a winchestor aside from all the hits I land on him.

One thing I've noticed after this fight is that you end up hitting people in the arms a lot which does reduced damage on top of the already shitty damage.  By nature of the swing, it's rather difficult to head shot a standing target with the sword.  The first unconscious player seems to die relatively quickly to 2 head shots, one presumably breaking the helmet and the second to finish him off so they are definitely viable.  Suppose I need more practice =P

The very last little clip I just threw in for fun, but it also shows how items on your back can entirely block melee damage.  This player had also been sprayed by an AK to unconscious once before this point, brought back up by his friend, then shot again with a winchestor at which point I am finishing him with the sword.  So he'd been through multiple gunshots already and still requires about 5-6 torso hits to finish off.

Just to be perfectly clear, I do this for fun and the challenge.  All of this is less complaining and more feedback/spreading awareness.  It's not unique to swords, most melee weapons are complete garbage.  I realize the devs haven't bother to touch this stuff yet and it likely won't be till beta but I do feel like they could probably make some minor tweaks to make some things more viable.  I'd just really like to see melee become more than finding an axe and disregarding everything else.