WilliamTheConqueror

I have got to be the unluckiest player in DayZ

For you guys just starting and trying to make contact with people:

Don't wait too long.

What I mean is, open the conversation, if they don't respond quite quickly, just move along (or shoot them, whatever you prefer ;) ). Sure you might have met someone who has no mic or needs a few seconds to put the headset on. But in my experience, people that don't respond quickly are usually busy trying to figure out the best way to kill you.

Keep your gun (even an empty one works, as long as it's not one with an obvious missing magazine like an AK) pointed at them until you have a basic idea of how they're gonna act. (see above) 

Try not staying directly in front of them, always be a little off the side, in case the guy "dsyncs" a gun from his pocket, he still has to aim at you and you can start evading.

If they draw ANY weapon after you made contact, shoot them. They're not drawing that pistol or axe to pick daisies, they want a fight, give it to them.

Offer some sort of incentive. Nobody's gonna play along for very long if they gain nothing from it, especially relatively new chars that have little to lose. Personally, whenever I can fit it, I carry an extra bag of rice and a full waterbottle, that will hold over even the most badly starved fresh spawn. Hell, sometimes I even carry a spare sidearm that I then put down for them a little distance away.

Don't "fool around". Nothing is more annoying than people who play some kind of act (wannabe horror-movie shit, etc....) Just act normal. Either friendly if you just want contact and help out, or forceful if you wanna rob their asses.

Try making contact from cover. Through a door, a window, around a corner, behind a box. Ideally, so they cannot see you right away. Say hello, announce that you're friendly, see how they react, proceed from there.

Even when doing everything right, it's still hit or miss, don't get discouraged. Having a positive encounter with some total stranger in DayZ is, in my opinion, still one of the greatest experiences in gaming. 

• Like 1

I need to rant. Every death I have had over many characters for months has been to being killed on sight, minus one from stair glitch. Maybe one or two was my fault, but every single other time is really frustrating. My characters last maybe 3 hours at the most. Some only 30 min. Here are my last few deaths. Fresh spawn in Electro, as I run down a road inland to avoid the city, I get sniped in the back. Spawn in a small town south of Berizino, get axed in the back of the head while picking up a can of food, not 10 minutes after spawn. Spawn in Cherno, get killed by a group toting M4's. Spawn in Berizino, grap some quick loot, and get shot in the back as I run away. Most of the people who kill me I never see, and those I do I get a quick glance before they put the bullet in my face, or a minute of running away from them when they have an axe. It's been like this for months. I have not had any friendly encounter for months. I don't think it's becuase I am unobservant. These experiences have made me look over my shoulder every minute with every life. I scan even the smallest of towns from a distance to make sure no one is there. There is nothing that can be done to solve this issue, and I know this is how DayZ is now. But when I get KOS'ed within half an hour of spawn 20 times in a row, it starts to seem uncanny. Is being this unlucky supposed to be this common? Not one person I have met in game has actully talked to me before trying to kill me. The ones that do are screaming obsenities at the top of their lungs. Rant over.

Well, some basic survivial tips, m8.

I always play on 50/50 servers, and my characters are over 1 week old now. 

- When you move from a city to another (don't use the main roads, but use the terrain so much harder to spot you.)

- Don't shot at another player; you just reveal your position on the map - only use weapons in self defense.

- Always scout a city for (5-15) minutes before you approach it to loot it - it depends how much game time you've and patience usually rewards you in Dayz. 

- Avoid red/yellow/blue colours clothes/backpacks.

It's easy to craft a knife with small stones which u can find near river banks, and you need to it to gut animals and find barks on tree to start a campfire to regain warmth, cook food.

It's easy to craft a rope from 12 clothes and when you find 1 burlap bag create a backpack, and with a wooden stick to improve it (cammo on it is awesome.)

- Dayz map. http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

- Dayz wiki http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Crafting

Edited by Ori42

For you guys just starting and trying to make contact with people:

Don't wait too long.

What I mean is, open the conversation, if they don't respond quite quickly, just move along (or shoot them, whatever you prefer ;) ). Sure you might have met someone who has no mic or needs a few seconds to put the headset on. But in my experience, people that don't respond quickly are usually busy trying to figure out the best way to kill you.

Keep your gun (even an empty one works, as long as it's not one with an obvious missing magazine like an AK) pointed at them until you have a basic idea of how they're gonna act. (see above) 

Try not staying directly in front of them, always be a little off the side, in case the guy "dsyncs" a gun from his pocket, he still has to aim at you and you can start evading.

If they draw ANY weapon after you made contact, shoot them. They're not drawing that pistol or axe to pick daisies, they want a fight, give it to them.

Offer some sort of incentive. Nobody's gonna play along for very long if they gain nothing from it, especially relatively new chars that have little to lose. Personally, whenever I can fit it, I carry an extra bag of rice and a full waterbottle, that will hold over even the most badly starved fresh spawn. Hell, sometimes I even carry a spare sidearm that I then put down for them a little distance away.

Don't "fool around". Nothing is more annoying than people who play some kind of act (wannabe horror-movie shit, etc....) Just act normal. Either friendly if you just want contact and help out, or forceful if you wanna rob their asses.

Try making contact from cover. Through a door, a window, around a corner, behind a box. Ideally, so they cannot see you right away. Say hello, announce that you're friendly, see how they react, proceed from there.

Even when doing everything right, it's still hit or miss, don't get discouraged. Having a positive encounter with some total stranger in DayZ is, in my opinion, still one of the greatest experiences in gaming.

I'm not sure if hiding in a building is such a smart idea. Basically you're trapped and you have nowhere to go. You even don't know if the player is still there after 15 minutes of waiting. They are good for cover and checking things out or even trying to lure someone. But engaging interaction from a building is a bad idea in my opinion.

It even is a huge advantage for the other person. If the other person is unfriendly, I just wait it out, he has nowhere to go so he is pinned down.

I think people who repeatedly get shot blind without ever seeing the shooter need to examine their awareness levels and hardware setup. If your frame rate is bad or if you have a small or crappy monitor you're going to have a harder time spotting players at range. If you're on a laptop you're at a rather large disadvantage. Awareness and tactical movement is a topic too large to cover here, there are whole books on the topic.

• Like 1

I think the problem is that players really suck ass at Cod, blackops etc so they come here

and turn this survival game into COD PVP bs stuff. They are typically called Server Trolls

and they really should be banned, every player should have a fair chance at surviving in game

and playing it how it is meant to be played.

• Like 1

as many of the suggestions here say: go to low pop servers to get geared up. plus its fun to wander around alone and see all the great easter eggs hidden all over the map. you dont have to worry about other people while you look for stuff.

i wont say im a pro, but ive been playing over 200 hours. so yea, ive seen some things 0_o

I wouldnt mind helping you out at all. steam and in game name is same as here, hit me up if you want to run around 

Edited by Hairy_eyeball

as many of the suggestions here say: go to low pop servers to get geared up. plus its fun to wander around alone and see all the great easter eggs hidden all over the map. you dont have to worry about other people while you look for stuff.

I wouldnt mind helping you out at all. steam and in game name is same as here

Haha you seem very nice face value, I bet you my beans that if we meet up you will take me out (shoot me) like all the others have in this similar

event loll.

Ill look you up anyways and we can hang.

Thank you that was very nice of you!

• Like 1

i wont say im a pro, but ive been playing over 200 hours. so yea, ive seen some things 0_o

I wouldnt mind helping you out at all. steam and in game name is same as here, hit me up if you want to run around 

I'm going to add you to my friend list. This might be a mistake. lol

• Like 1

I think the problem is that players really suck ass at Cod, blackops etc so they come here

and turn this survival game into COD PVP bs stuff. They are typically called Server Trolls

and they really should be banned, every player should have a fair chance at surviving in game

and playing it how it is meant to be played.

I do hope that's sarcasm.

A sandbox game can't be played in a wrong way.

rule no.1 in dayz: Best protection against KoS is KoS

Been alive since 0.57 hit the fan and haven't been killed before that either.