FlimFlamm

Multi-Person Mechanics to discourage KOS

Early in development rocket talked about introducing multi person interaction mechanics that supposedly would help to reduce KoS'ing. As it stands there is only a single multi-person mechanic, and that would be administering blood and saline bags. Please share any ideas you might have for interesting multi person mechanics that would be easy to-implement and would help deal with the constant KoSing.

One idea I had would be relevant along the coast: Shaking apple trees with two people.

Coastal players mainly desire food to carry them into the mainland. When they meet a player they think that they can either rob or eat them and get off the coast sooner. If two strangers could meet and do something productive together like shake an apple tree to make a dozen or so apples fall into the ground/vicinity rather than having to search for apples individually, then this could be a great way to break the ice between players, establish trust, and potentially lead to long lasting friendships and alliances.

With this addition when players are fresh and on the coast fresh, they will look at another survivor not as a piece of meat or a mark to extort, but instead as a valuable resource (alive) whose cooperation can lead to good things.

Even though this mechanic would only make a difference for coastal players (inland players care about gear over food), I think it would drastically improve the coastal experience, and it should be exceedingly easy to implement as a feature (placeholder animations for now with motion capture down the road, apples spawning in a circular pattern around the shaken tree).

Another potential mechanic that was talked about but never implemented would be a trading vicinity menu option. If players had a formal way to trade with one another then there would be incentive to actually introduce yourself to people instead of shooting them for their gear. This would help coastal players get along and would also create interesting encounters for mainland survivors.

The other mechanic I came up with is a general one that can be used in many potential features. Objects that are so big they require two people to move them. A dynamic event could be that some normally enterable houses have had the doors barricaded with refrigerators or something, which could require two or more people to push out of the way. For that server restart only, there could be special loot inside the barricaded house, given that since it had been barricaded, nobody will have scavenged it. The reward for opening a barricaded house could be basic clothing, backpacks, and food, possibly with rudimentary guns like shottys and magnums as well. Every restart some random houses across the coast or the entire map could become barricaded as a part of a dynamic event just like heli crashes. It would be easy to implement because they simply need to have the fridge be moved to a doorway in a house (thereby blocking it, and also ensuring that other entrances are blocked), and add a mechanic that with two players this fridge can be pushed aside or knocked over to allow access to the house. It doesn't have to be a fridge, but it certainly could be.

Whether or not you're moving a large object out of your way, or moving some large object or piece of equipment into place for some specific use, having a requirement for two people to move an object it something that can mesh well with vehicles and with basebuilding. What would be perfect for DayZ as it is currently is some sort of two person chore that coastal players can do in order to get the advantage required to make a safe trip inland.

I think there should as many multi-person mechanics as possible so that when two strangers meet, they instantly begin thinking about all the nearby stuff they can do if they would agree to work together. I've been trying to think of more two person mechanics that would be easy to implement and also productive so that players are encouraged to cooperate instead of murder, but it's hard to think of good ideas, so this is where you all come in. Please share your ideas for multi person mechanics that can encourage cooperation instead of competition. Mechanics that can be done by freshly spawned strangers as a way to get off the coast and meet each other would be most ideal for the current state of the game.

ADDENDUM: Does having a DayZ "meaning of life" reduce KOSing?

The Dayz meaning of life...

A bit of a conundrum...

The meaning of life, and the value of life can be two separate things.The meaning of life is a very subjective thing; unless god is around to provide objectivity, we each discover what life means to us. The DayZ meaning of life would be no different. In the mod the DayZ meaning of life for me was the joy of flying and the sense of pride that comes from comradery and successful long term survival. For some players it will be about getting the most long range head-shots, or racking up the most kills. Since DayZ is unscripted the meaning of the DayZ lives that we live are up to us to discover. 

Value of life however can be additional can(s) of worms. Often times the meaning we assign to our own lives makes life worth living; It makes us value our own life. The reasons why we value the lives of others can be something completely unrelated to why we value our own life. Almost ironically in regards to the dilemma of trying to reduce the occurrence of KOSing, the meaning of DayZ life for some players is the KOS'ing of all other life at all times. Players who value their own lives but not the lives of others tend to be the ones to KOS out of fear, or boredom, or sadism. Getting players to value their own lives isn't necessarily the issue, but rather getting people to value the lives of others. Value for ones own life can lead to conflict avoidance out of self preservation, but it can also lead to aggression, depending on the strategy of the individual who greatly values their own life. Increasing the value to ones own life in this case can be a double edged sword. A notable exception to to the strategy of offence as a viable form of defence (resulting from valuing ones own life) can be destroyed through a greater penchant for mutual destruction. Imagine if the only weapon in the game of DayZ was a knife: players would pretty much be guaranteed to get their pretty faces sliced up real bad regardless of whether or not the emerge victorious. The likely result of that system would be that players engage in group based knife warfare where players form phalanxes of swinging knives in order to dominate individuals and other groups. The game would be terrible (or would it?) but at least KOSing would be almost totally addressed :D. Mutually assured destruction as a source of stability is unlikely to be much of an incentive to reduce KOSing between individuals but once group play becomes common place it is certainly important to try and preserve relations with other groups because war between them will mean overall net losses on both sides.

There is a natural spectrum of deviance between the way humans feel about and behave towards one another in the real world, and as a result the motivations which can cause or prevent murder can be numerous and likewise varied. This is I think what makes the issue of KOSing hard to understand and as a result such a heated and controversial topic. There are numerous reason why people KOS: Boredom, Fear, Paranoia, Greed, and Sadism to name a few. Boredom is something that only additional features can really address, and luckily this happens to be a significant cause of current KOSing. Fear and Paranoia and Greed (which stem from the fact that generally people do value their own lives) seem quite difficult causes for KOS to address. When players look through the eyes of their character and see a stranger, what do they see? A potential friend? A potential ally? A likely annoying nincompoop? A walking meat kebab? A walking loot cache? A potential enemy who must be killed at any cost? The next victim in your endless series of senseless murders and short lived characters? Different players with different personalities are naturally diverse and some of them KOS. As I have tried to argue, addressing the "problem" of KOSing as a whole involves dealing with each and very possible cause for it. Now that I feel I've rambled enough about the complexity of the issue, here is my attempt at a useful conclusion:

Boredom -

Boredom currently represents anywhere from 13% to 30% of the cause for all KOSing, but there is an unknown margin of error here as the data relies on a poll and we assume player honesty, also some people KOS for a variety fo reasons or an amalgamation of many so we really cannot be that confident in these numbers. Even still this is a significant source of motivation to KOS; there is not much else to do. Once the game gets more features and 'has more to do' this source of KOSing will evaporate. Boredom forces players to work with what they have, and so players are funnelled into the available play-styles, the only one of which currently exists happens to be armed warfare.

Fear/paranoia - 

According to the poll, this is the cause of 56% of all KOSing. If headway can be made here then the "problem" of KOsing will be dealt a huge blow. My main theory in this regard is that if players were able to communicate enough and to establish formal bases, a sense of community would emerge and KOSing out of fear and paranoia will be reduced in various ways. Firstly, attacking and killing just anyone might be a risky decision if it turns out that they are a member of a powerful group; you could be signing the destruction warrant of your entire home or sparking a war between your group and theirs. Secondly, rampant KOSers would run into resistance in the form of groups looking to exert control over chernarus. If reports of KOSers come in then the various groups can send out hunting parties to deal with them to make it safe for themselves and as a by product, everyone else. If reputations of any kind are able to emerge then the decision to kill indiscriminately and unprovoked can have lasting ramifications on the way people treat them based on what they have heard or are able to tell about them. I would rather have an organic mechanism for this kind of reputation like actual player communication networks, but for example, in the mod, many players were highly incentivized to not kill indiscriminately because they would take a hit to their reputation points and if they fell to far into the negative would achieve formal bandit status. Sometimes this changed their skin, sometimes it gave you access to a NPC trader that could sell you tanks and attack helicopters. Even still, many people tried to become heroes and it gave players a reason to behave which simply simulated a real world reputation where if you're "bad", then the "good" people to "bad" things to you. Organic mechanisms for player repuation, like possible visual clues about players recent activities or morale based facial expressions could be a replacement for this, but the real address to fear and paranoia based KOSing "problem" can only come with the existence of an actual community on a given server, and an actual network of communication.

Think about it for a moment: When everyone is running around chaotically, scrambling for supplies and survival, shit is going to be hectic and chaotic; it's going to be a free for all.  When instead there numerous stable groups who cooperate amongst themselves and potentially with one another, and communicate on a regular basis, then what it means to survive safely is going to change and collaboration with others is going to become much more important in order to stay relevant. We can only hope that groups are able to reach a kind of stability (through defence, cooperation, or mutually assured destruction) and once this happens not everyone is going to be out to kill you, in fact some of them might be looking to recruit you, or you might know some of them, or have relations with their clan. The benefits of cooperation are going to be most clear when groups finally get to build bases and accumulate wealth, and this is going to throw a wrench into the entire way DayZ currently tends to be played.(to me that's good news)

Greed

Greed is reported as 13% of the causes for all KOSing, but when you think about it, the same thing that drives you to kill to protect your life is the same thing that drives you to take the lives of others in order to enhance your own; profit. This thread was created on the singular idea that if we could somehow make it profitable for players to cooperate in various situations then the prevalence of KOSing would take a bit of a hit. I think we can do some dynamic events such as this thread is wonderfully jam-packed with, emphasis being on coastal cooperation with the intent of adding civility to fresh spawns and the utility of having an extra set of hands when it comes to group play (and as a driver of random friendships/alliances <3). The real change will come when cooperation can reliably get you more than robbery, and by "more" I'm talkin bases with beefy security, secure access to land and air transportation, and most importantly a large group of survivors, cooperating for mutual benefit, who are your loyal comrades and will rise to your defence (If only to protect their reputation :D). With natural incentives to cooperate like communal living and natural deterrents to KOSing like a reactive community who can defend against/neutralize aggressive players, there's no telling exactly how much law and order players will be able to bring into Chernarus.

Sadism

Killing only for enjoyment is reported as 16%

Because this is a video game the normal perception from some players regarding what is and what is not sadism (pure joy of killing in this case) can differ greatly from one another. Many players who are currently KOSing out of sheer boredom will theoretically not do so if they have more interesting pastimes. What might seem sadistic might seem like fun to some other players ( :D), and hence there will always be some players whose main perogative is to kill on sight. I have always understood and accepted this fact and it has come to be an integral part of what I like about DayZ; some players you simply should never have trusted, but trusting nobody at all won't get you anywhere fast.

I think perhaps a good analogy to these kinds of players are "griefers" from minecraft. Some people simply get kicks from causing others anguish. A certain percentage of everyone among us is a low down KOSer :D. We've gotta man/woman/other up and deal with it.

Long story short, many of the main drivers of KOSing might be significantly impacted or negated by the incoming features that have yet to be implemented, so really Our KOSing woes might all just slowly fade away as more content is added, and game-play emerges.

Results of source poll, the specificity of the questions could use some improvement but it got the job done.

Reports from a very large poll (stickied at the top of the general discussion)

Causes for KOSing as polled by another thread:

1. Fear of being killed (641 votes [56.68%])

2. Loot (147 votes [13.00%])

3. For enjoyment (185 votes [16.36%])

4. Nothing else to do/boredom (158 votes [13.97%])

TL;DR: read what is bold and in red

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 16

How about:

• Requiring 2 people to drag a corpse, passed out, or restrained person
  • With 2 people you can vault walls (one person steps on the other's shoulders or something) - this would be sweet for surprise attacks
  • 2 people could push a broken down vehicle (would need a 3rd to steer)
  • The presence of 2 people might intimidate a single infected zed - if you're in groups of 2 or more single zeds might be less aggressive (a safety in numbers trick!)
  • Aggressive wildlife (I know there's no bears and stuff now, but if there was...) same concept as above, having greater numbers would help keep them away
  • The new broken leg animations and slower gimp/walk - with the help of another survivor you could/should be able to get back up towards top run speed. You could help your friend get up and get away (or get to help).
  • Like 13

How about:

• Requiring 2 people to drag a corpse, passed out, or restrained person
  • With 2 people you can vault walls (one person steps on the other's shoulders or something) - this would be sweet for surprise attacks
  • 2 people could push a broken down vehicle (would need a 3rd to steer)
  • The presence of 2 people might intimidate a single infected zed - if you're in groups of 2 or more single zeds might be less aggressive (a safety in numbers trick!)
  • Aggressive wildlife (I know there's no bears and stuff now, but if there was...) same concept as above, having greater numbers would help keep them away
  • The new broken leg animations and slower gimp/walk - with the help of another survivor you could/should be able to get back up towards top run speed. You could help your friend get up and get away (or get to help).

I think these are all very good ideas! +1 beans

Pushing broken vehicles is a really good idea and is exactly the kind of thing DayZ needs! Cooperation!

I think helping someone (shoulder support) who has a broken leg to hobble to safety is incredibly realistic and absolutely perfect!

Players giving boosts to one another is also a really potent idea. The devs could implement buildings which are barricaded from below and can only be entered by getting a boost!

If you think of more, share them, cause you're good at this :)

• Like 1

I really like the trading vicinity menu - how might that work?  Like hit a hot key to show player in vicinity what you have to trade, or your whole inventory?  Or shows them certain items you've dragged into a special grid as trade availability?

I really like the trading vicinity menu - how might that work?  Like hit a hot key to show player in vicinity what you have to trade, or your whole inventory?  Or shows them certain items you've dragged into a special grid as trade availability?

Well, good question. Certainly there should be some sort of shared window (which goes normally where the vicinity goes) with two inventory boxes for things to trade. Things which you drag into this inventory become visible to the other player, and if both players like what they see and hit confirm, then inventory access will swap. There might be a better or cooler way to accomplish it, or this method might have issues, but it's just an idea :)

Love the ideas. Anything that facilitates cooperative interaction among two or more players really captures the essence of how this game should be played.

A trading screen would be essential, especially while dropping things on the ground proves quite dangerous at this time. Maybe just something similar to the "vicinity" or "view contents" on the left side of your inventory, where you interact with another player, and if accepted, you can see items from their inventory.

Barricading is also a great idea. Obviously someone wouldn't easily be able to move a very heavy object on their own, especially if injured (which is likely in this case).

Maybe Pushing a truck / car if it was out of gas or broken down would require multiple people, one to steer, a couple more (I'm thinking party bus) to push. That or carrying a large object, like construction materials or vehicle parts.

I'm really hoping that with the new character controllers, more features like what you've outlined will be possible.

Thanks for the thought out post. I really hope the devs take note of your suggestions and work towards implementing something like this.  :beans:

• Like 1

My Idea: you need two people to open heli or hummvee doors to get loot or 

or whatever dynamic events they put in

Cooperative tasks are great, but there should always be a more time-consuming alternative included for lone players.  Shouldn't be penalized for playing at a different time from your friends from time to time.  I been working late, and therefore have to run solo pretty often this week.

I like the idea of two-man carry items.  Things like generators, storage chests, or even a duffle full of guns from a military loot run, would all be great choices for cooperative carry mechanics.  Blocked access is also great.  The apple tree shaking immediately sent my mind to snipers getting a two-for-one deal on bambis.

• Like 2

Shaking apple trees is hilarious/amazing, I would love if they did that.

I think the medical system still has more potential, like needing another player eventually to set bones etc.  Basically have the limp animation until you actually get some one to help you (or wait long enough, since yeah, lone wolf shouldn't really be fucked).

• Like 2

Cooperative tasks are great, but there should always be a more time-consuming alternative included for lone players.  Shouldn't be penalized for playing at a different time from your friends from time to time.  I been working late, and therefore have to run solo pretty often this week.

I like the idea of two-man carry items.  Things like generators, storage chests, or even a duffle full of guns from a military loot run, would all be great choices for cooperative carry mechanics.  Blocked access is also great.  The apple tree shaking immediately sent my mind to snipers getting a two-for-one deal on bambis.

If the blocked access thing were to be implemented, I think that there should be pretty much no way of getting in on your own short of going through some construction/deconstruction process with the required tools in order to boost yourself up to a balcony or to remove the obstruction.

I'm a big fan of tools in DayZ. Not just wrenches and screw drivers but also things like torches and propane tanks and generators and power drills, even things like arc welders, which would require a generator. These tools can become intimately involved in the process of repairing, maintaining, or constructing your own vehicles, constructing bases of all kinds, barricading, removing barricades, and crafting with wood and metal which opens the door to limitless possibility down the road. Even if they don't have very many uses in vanilla, modders can use them as a foundation to realistically implement any kind of tool requiring objective they desire.

Coastal players will need to spread out and gather the necessary tools that they might need to disassemble a barricaded building. Mainland groups will be required to meticulously gather and store their tools for use in base-building and vehicle repair/maintenance/construction. By having a big group players can easily gather all the tools that they immediately desire and share them out amongst the entire group, which will give them benefits while also making them more committed to cooperating.

"Hey you, dude... Oh my god, is that a sledge hammer? I can see a pile of rice and a swagnum through the crack of the wooden barricades in the brick building... Let's bust that shit open!"

Edited by FlimFlamm

But KOSing a play style? I can KOS if I want to.

Nobody cares about you or your kiddie KoSing.

If you can't add something useful to the conversation you are either off-topic / spam or troll.

Stop it.

• Like 3

Those are really great ideas here.

One easy thing to do would be increase the deadliness of the infected. Some places could be so infested that a lone wolf could never make it out alive, or only with heavy weapons.

I actually had a situation when I was a newspawn and met another newspawn who was being chased by an infected.

I yelled to him to run to me and we killed it together with our fists.

He gave me food as a thank you and our ways parted.

If infected were more dangerous people would have to work together more.

But compared to your ideas, mine sounds pretty obvious and lame. lol

• Like 1

Other ideas here are good, I think, but a trading screen? Shouldn't trading be hard and you could have to trust the other player that he doesn't just take the stuff and leave without giving anything. I mean the current "system" is more realistic IMO.

• Like 1

Easiest way to sum this up, most people that kill on sight are lazy. The live and die on the coast, each life is a short grind followed by a few gunshots. They don't experiment with the mechanics of the game or contribute in any way. The easiest way to avoid this style of gameplay is to stay mid map, After 800+ hours in game I feel this is the way it works. I know military bases are hotspots as well, so, I try to avoid them as well.

Until there is more of an incentive for people to live longer you will have the kos issue regardless of how many apples you can shake from the tree with your new "bro".

These ideas are interesting, but what about the guy that wants to lone wolf it?

Edited by Deepfryer
  • Like 1

He simply does not have access to the cooperative features and cooperation rewards in exchange for not having to deal with other players (friends who might not have time or strangers who might not be trustworthy). Tradeoffs is the keyword here.

Now in many (not all!) instances there could be a more time and effort consuming option but this one might be way harder - e.g. breaking open a dynamic even might require both to have a stick or melee weapon while a lone survivor might need heavy powered equipment to do so.

Feels like an Artificial restriction to force a certain playstyle.

I am all for activities requiring two people only if they require 2 people in real life as well.

Requiring 2 people to get an apple off a tree, dragging a body etc is just silly.

Big and heavy things should be really big and heavy so they force the player to walk or sacrifice a lot of gear and so on. Things that come in my mind are:

Barrels (Requires two hands and needs to be empty. Because of the shape not a fun to carry around)

Wheels (Nobody's going to carry V3S wheel around and even thinking about running. Walking speed max and have fun)

Big tents (12 people military tent weights a lot especially if it's wet if you didn't know... Not a funny thing to carry around if you need to go more than 500m)

The weight isn't the only thing that really matters but also the shape and how clumsy it's to move that object.

So things can be carried around alone but you need to sacrifice so much that you pretty much need another player to back you up from the zombies. When a KoS comes and kills you for the tire, you'll know how much fun time he will have with it if he wants to carry that around alone ;)

I am all for activities requiring two people only if they require 2 people in real life as well.

Requiring 2 people to get an apple off a tree, dragging a body etc is just silly.

Well, I wouldn't make them requirements, but picking apples by your lonesome would go a lot slower than shaking a tree with a buddy. So give a small bonus for teamwork, but do not punish the loners. 

• Like 2

That's pretty much a given. Just as the final game shouldn't artificially favor a lone wolf playstyle (which the current version somewhat does) it shouldn't artificially favor multiple people playstyles.

Of course you should be able to get apples off a tree on your own - however, using two people might result in more apples at a much quicker rate with comparatively lower energy cost. Dragging a body/person should be possible on your own but it might be very slow and exhausting compared to using two people (and using something like a stretcher might improve this even further).

On the other side things like climbing over certain walls, scaring off hungry wolves etc. should not be possible for lone wolf survivors and for certain things (breaking open crashes/buildings) they might need heavier, less practical and rarer equipment.

The biggest factor, I think, is just having a very brutally difficult game. Infected stamina might even create some teamwork too. One guy can stash his gear (making himself light and fast) and then run through town gathering infected, for easy looting or leading them to kill zone.

Also, I've always loved the idea of rock, paper, scissors, which victor did say they had motion captured at some time.

I don't like the trading screen idea, but i would love some non ui version. Where players would hold out item and it would automatically swap items.

I remember talk of throwing items at a player, the item would go in hands. Was I dreaming this or is this planned?

Easiest way to sum this up, most people that kill on sight are lazy. The live and die on the coast, each life is a short grind followed by a few gunshots. They don't experiment with the mechanics of the game or contribute in any way. 

Until there is more of an incentive for people to live longer you will have the kos issue regardless of how many apples you can shake from the tree with your new "bro".

While I love the ideas in this post for cooperative mechanics and want to see many of them implemented, your post, Deepfryer, sums up the issue that is core and underlying to the one we're dealing with.  I said a similar thing in the Dev section thread about encouraging hermit style gameplay.

The core issue and obstacle to a game like DayZ feeling immersive and realistic is not necessarily whether players have to cooperate, but instead, it's a thing called Value for Life.

It is the issue of "lazy" players you refer to who live and die on the coast and don't bother to contribute or learn game mechanics (i.e. those who play NOT valuing their lives or others') that ruin DayZ.

A lot of DayZ players are waking up to the vision of what this game could be. The devs seem to want it to go there. The gaming community really doesn't need another kill everything shooter game. Seriously please.

The devs need to put a lot of thought and energy and creativity into doing things that haven't been done before - and it needs to center around this one core issue - how do we get players to value their own lives at least, if not at some level value other players lives? 

And yes, the only way to do this (incentivize Value for Life) is to make "artificial" restrictions that at least encourage a certain play style.  This is called counter-balancing.  Counter-balancing is desperately needed because what the devs are after is an immersive real-life post apocalyptic experience focused on player interaction.

The problem is that this is a video game, which inherently means that many people will not have the imagination, maturity, or vision to approach it from an immersive standpoint - they will "take the easy way" or play this like another shooter, or use it to troll and grief, or for lols, or to hunt players for entertainment - many players even on these forums often brag about how they enjoy ruining the experience for "immersive" style players by killing them for entertainment.  For this game to be something special and not just another kill everything shooter, the devs absolutely will have to introduce more artificial restrictions and mechanics and incentives.

He simply does not have access to the cooperative features and cooperation rewards in exchange for not having to deal with other players (friends who might not have time or strangers who might not be trustworthy). Tradeoffs is the keyword here.

Now in many (not all!) instances there could be a more time and effort consuming option but this one might be way harder - e.g. breaking open a dynamic even might require both to have a stick or melee weapon while a lone survivor might need heavy powered equipment to do so.

Right. Tradeoff is the key. You will always still have to risk trusting another player.

• Like 3

These wouldn't discourage KOS per-se, they don't give consequence (not punishment, easy) to killing someone or firing a weapon.

They just require someone else to accomplish a task. All you need is one pre-existing friend/clan, or, one/two friends in-game to accomplish this.

While everyone else can be shot on sight just the same. 

So long as there's no direct and/or immediate consequence for killing another player or firing a weapon, I don't foresee any of the suggestions actually fostering spontaneous interaction.

People always pine for the heady days of the early mod where people, supposedly, all lived happily ever after and there was more player cooperation. I posit that this is two things - a myth, and, the result of novelty.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Yea I agree with the above these things would have zero effect on KOS.

The only real thing that maybe could have such an effect is severely restricting firearms and lowering ammo and weapon spawn rates.

It worked in Rust would work in Dayz but at the end of the day I don't think weapon rarity is something the devs intend for atleast not at this stage in development.