cs_wolf

Gun Sway Poll

Gun Sway Mechanic  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the current sway on the guns is an accurate representation of a real life scenario?

2. 2. Should the sway mechanic be toned down?

• Yes
    • Yes but not if it becomes too little to notice
    • No, I like the way it is
    • Removed completely!
  3. 3. How should the sway look in game?

• Work in a spiral
    • Relative to breathing (up & down)
    • Random pattern
    • Arma 2 style
    • Arma 3 style

A feedback poll and discussion board for the developers to see what us players think to help with the future of our beloved Dayz :) .

Free Beans for comments :D

If you disagree with the poll or find it irrelevant, simply do not vote / write a comment on what you think. Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Edited by cs_wolf
  • Like 1

It's not like real life, that's fine, the more random sway is - the better. There are lots of aspects to real-life shooting which would be impractical or simply tedious to add into the game. Just by making the initial shot slightly more difficult through adding random sway adds some amount of abstracted difficulty which can be mitigated through proper procedure (holding your breath, not having just sprinted forever, not being cold/injured, etc.).

• Like 1

Random pattern for sure.

And the sway should be noticable.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

Not the time to discuss this  - we are in alpha those things will get serious attention only in beta ;)

• Like 2

I actually think I'm on the "more sway" team.

I don't know how many of you shoot in real life, or have tried it, but if you don't have firearms training (and also maintain it), even hitting a stationary object at range is not very easy.

• Like 2

I'm fine with some weapon sway, but I'd like to see more vertical sway than horizontal. I've shot since I was a kid, and I don't think any rifle I've ever used moved in a figure eight pattern -- it's vertical because of your breathing. I suppose if you were as weak as a toddler, the fatigue of merely holding the rifle may force your arms to make some odd movements, but, yeah.

• Like 1

Should be toned down when prone, there should also be a weapon resting mechanic

• Like 2

As a recreational shooter myself, I think that most people who do not shoot scoped firearms fail to realize that sway isn't "sway". To be honest, when you are scoped in on a target at range, you mostly notice the "jiggle" of your hands holding up the firearms that you wouldn't really notice when shooting at close ranges or with iron sights. 

As for shooting, while the sway in the game isn't realistic, I like it nonetheless. Shooting at things shouldn't be easy. It should be difficult and recoil should be substantial depending on the firearms used. The survival mentality of DayZ, with one bullet kills and long distance spotting and engaging...it wouldn't benefit from making shooting easier. 

Shooting is not an easy thing to do. Even if it has in-game "unrealism" to it, it should keep mechanics that are believable that keep it challenging and that keep killing other players from becoming far too commonplace and simple. 

• Like 6

you mostly notice the "jiggle" of your hands holding up the firearms that you wouldn't really notice when shooting at close ranges or with iron sights. 

That "jiggle" is your body making adjustments without you even thinking about it. You're constantly compensating for the rifle's weight pulling down, your breathing, wind...

If you go and point your finger at a spot on the monitor right now you're going to always be pointing at where you want, but your arm will jiggle around as you're trying your hardest to keep it where you want.

I disagree with you saying shooting shouldn't be easy. Shooting is very easy, and shooting where you want is no challenging task.

Now if we're talking about shooting over a long distance say 300m+ then yes, it is significantly harder. I'm not even talking about anything affecting the shooting other than keeping steady.

How it'd properly get put in the game though I really have no clue.

• Like 1

The gun sway in the game is totally rediculous and unrealistic (I'm talking mainly about the out of breath sway). You can easily keep a gun on target when you're out of breath.

One of the worst things about this game.

• Like 1

Shooting is not an easy thing to do. Even if it has in-game "unrealism" to it, it should keep mechanics that are believable that keep it challenging and that keep killing other players from becoming far too commonplace and simple.

What do you mean shooting isn't easy? Pretty much anyone can shoot a RIFLE and put it on a man sized target.

Hand guns are quite a different story tho.

• Like 1

What challenge dos the game have with almost no sway? If that happens this game will be really boring and to easy! Dayz stands for difficulty not a COD.

• Like 2

What challenge dos the game have with almost no sway? If that happens this game will be really boring and to easy! Dayz stands for difficulty not a COD.

Don't understand how it makes the game easier. Just makes shooting more realistic and fluid. You can still be shot by people. Explain please how it makes the game so easy.
  • Like 1

well, some weapons have okay sway, the only one being completely out of wack is the mosin, it's way to high

edit: also the sway of arma2 was better i thought, sure it was very pretendable, but real life sway is, too

if you concentrate and contract your arm muscles the right way, you can get an almost unnoticeable sway even with breathing

the ither thing i really hate is how ridiculously bad your aim is after running, even if you are exhausted, the main exhaustion from running is in the legs, not the army, you shouldnt sturggle hitting someone at 30 meters just because you took a few meter sprint

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

Incomplete and slightly biased poll. I got the impression the OP dislikes the weapon sway and wants it reduced.

For my part I do not think the sway is realistic (far too smooth and predictable) but I would neither advice for straight up increasing (no voting option!) or reducing it. Instead it should be altered (no voting option!) to work according to the weapon used. Basically the heavier your weapon, the less support and the more fatigued you are the higher the sway amount should become. Also it should start lower and increase over the time the weapon is held (depending on weight an stance).

How it should look? Less smooth and more chaotic in general maybe with a little influence of breathing as well (so random and up/down). And of course holding your breath should significantly reduce the amount.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 2

Stamina system would greatly modify this discussion. there should be levels of sway based on that system. If you run and run and run and run it should almost be impossible to fire your weapon accurately. If you are at a light jog and maintain your stamina properly you should be able to be on target with a little sway from your breath.

• Like 2

Stamina or anything related to weapon mechanics is welcomed in here aswell to help with the discussion.

Edited by cs_wolf

Don't understand how it makes the game easier. Just makes shooting more realistic and fluid. You can still be shot by people. Explain please how it makes the game so easy.

There is no wind direction for example what makes sure that your bullet will not hit the point. Unless thats in the game, what I doubt it will ever come. Sway is the best option to go.

Less sway is more accurate easy to kill for. Well Dayz is about learning and understanding and see sollutions instead of a arcade shooter. Less sway go play cod.

• Like 1

In my opinion the gun sway is too much and not user friendly (eight shape) when "FULLY" out of breath and takes too long to steady it out (when hold breath works I will use it), I would like to see it reduced and in a random sway pattern. Laying prone should give you more steady regain/aim from being out of breath (especially for long shots).

I know there is a line between real life/fun, and I am putting my view on this topic in the middle of these two.

Edited by cs_wolf

In my opinion the gun sway is too much and not user friendly 

DayZ is not user friendly. 

• Like 1

That is true but the full sway length from left to right in a eight shape is just too much and should be a different pattern. This is just my opinion. :)

It's not like real life, that's fine, the more random sway is - the better. There are lots of aspects to real-life shooting which would be impractical or simply tedious to add into the game. Just by making the initial shot slightly more difficult through adding random sway adds some amount of abstracted difficulty which can be mitigated through proper procedure (holding your breath, not having just sprinted forever, not being cold/injured, etc.).

I like your view on the topic :)

We have to keep in mind that Dayz characters are mostly civilians that probley never shot a gun, so shooting a gun will have noticeable recoil from each shot.

Edited by cs_wolf

Sway isn't bad at all currently, I think it could even use more, especially after sprinting all over the place.  Stances should affect it greater though, with prone reducing it significantly.

Hold breath button should work better as well to stabilize it.

• Like 1

I like your view on the topic :)

We have to keep in mind that Dayz characters are mostly civilians that probley never shot a gun, so shooting a gun will have noticeable recoil from each shot.

Recoil is one thing. I personally have no prob with recoil. But this topic isn't about recoil, it's about the unbelievable sway.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: shooting a rifle on target is easy even for someone who is not experienced. I'm talking a man sized target not a sub MOA.

• Like 1