Grimey Rick

TIL the only trustworthy people in DayZ are nine year olds.

I met someone that sounded like Minnie Mouse in Berezino today. After a brief, borderline unintelligible conversation regarding this person's mean brother not letting him play PS4, I decided that I liked this little dude.

It turned out that his name was Vinny, he likes zombies, and all he wanted was a gun with which to lay waste to any and all infected in his path. Nice! I knew Vinny and I would get along just fine.

"Do you have a gun I could u- BRIAN, SHUT UP! YOU ONLY WANT TO PLAY THIS BECAUSE I MET SOMEONE! NO, I'M PLAYING WITH HIM! Do you have a gun I can use?" asked Vinny.

"Why, it just so happens that I do, Vinny," I replied. "Would you like to use it?"

"Yes please."

I gave Vinny my M1911. Not yet fully trusting this very animated little character, I removed the magazine and chambered it. Overjoyed, Vinny could barely contain his enthusiasm. He was so enthusiastic, it turned out, he actually COULDN'T contain it. A shot rang out, followed by a dozen or so subsequent clicks. After a yelp of pain, my survivor managed to control his temper and give little Vinny the benefit of the doubt.

"Vinny, what gives?" I asked.

"I thought you were infected," came his reply.

"Fair enough. What did we learn?"

"You're not infected?"

"Well, I was going to say, 'Aim for the head,' but I suppose you're right. You ready?"

After an hour or so of searching houses in Berezino, we had Vinny equipped with all of the basics. He was very pleased with himself, intermittently bragging to his brother Brian about how much cooler DayZ is than whatever game he'd wanted to play on the PS4 earlier. At this point, Brian began giving Vinny advice and was seemingly also along for the ride, never leaving Vinny's side.

A while later, well into our journey, I had to go pick up my youngest kid from a sleepover at his friend's house. Not really caring what happened to my character and wanting to truly test the trustworthiness of this brave nine year old survivor, I informed Vinny I'd be stepping away from my computer for twenty minutes or so; the time it took me to walk down the street to get my kid. Bestowing upon him the honor of guarding me at my most vulnerable, Vinny was metaphorically beaming.

"I will protect you, Rick."

So, with that, I left.

Upon returning, fully expecting to be greeted by the "You are dead" black screen of FUUUU, I was instead meet with an extremely proud Vinny. He had guarded me from several zombies who lay dead about the area.

Truly impressed, I then proceeded to thank Vinny by giving him all of my gear. Squealing in delight, Vinny was obviously tickled pink! That is, until I heard his mother in the background informing him that he's not allowed to play DayZ in the first place, and that he's in "big trouble".

Vinny then sat down, and disappeared.

Oh, DayZ. After a year and a half, the first person I've met that I've actually liked, trusted and enjoyed the company of, you take him from me a mere moment after giving him all of my equipment, potentially never to be used again.

Goodbye, Vinny. You will be missed! :T

• Like 48

At least he went before Chernarus could corrupt his innocent soul.

Vaya con Dios, Vinny.

• Like 5

great story rick hope to read more stories like this.

2rgddvo.jpg

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

9 you say? yeah I would have to agree with his mother.

either way, entertaining story.

• Like 1

Great story. Yes, it would be nice to meet more players like Vinny.

We could all benefit from trying to make Chernarus a safer place for the children.  Good work Rick!

• Like 1

I apologize.  You see, Vinny is not allowed to play DayZ because of me and my foul mouth.  It is people like me who make it so the nine year old's can't play, and I am not ashamed!  I like to swear, I can't help it.

oh my Vinny 

he is cool unlike some asshole who decided to use hack

It's funny. On Counter-Strike I always play with Canadians, but in Dayz I find Europeans a lot more, mostly with awful pings.

83e.jpg

I especially like that he shot you the first time. I imagine many KoS are just this.

• Like 2

I met someone that sounded like Minnie Mouse in Berezino today. After a brief, borderline unintelligible conversation regarding this person's mean brother not letting him play PS4, I decided that I liked this little dude.

Goodbye, Vinny. You will be missed! :T

Best first hand account award goes to.

Great story, and very well written. Thanks for the nice adventure to accompany my morning coffee.

Colton

• Like 1

welp, had to open a beer midstory... :beans: *spilled the first one

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

This is what makes DayZ so good in my opinion, in no other game such relations are part of the gameplay, such a creative design

• Like 1

It's funny. On Counter-Strike I always play with Canadians, but in Dayz I find Europeans a lot more, mostly with awful pings.

I kinda wanna get on some Canadian servers now... See if the 'nice people' stereotype holds true for DayZ.  :D My Canadian step mother certainly is evidence for said stereotype, though she doesn't play the game, unfortunately.

haha nice! Day-z creates the most unusual happenings... 

Trusting people even a little is usually the start of something different.

I kinda wanna get on some Canadian servers now... See if the 'nice people' stereotype holds true for DayZ.  :D My Canadian step mother certainly is evidence for said stereotype, though she doesn't play the game, unfortunately.

Certainly better then those Russian guys raging at you in another language, at least I can speak some French lol.

Certainly better then those Russian guys raging at you in another language, at least I can speak some French lol.

Why does everyone assume all Canadians speak French? We have ONE single province that is "French-speaking" and every other province hates them.

• Like 1

9 you say? yeah I would have to agree with his mother.

either way, entertaining story.

actually i don't want to know what a good portion of DayZ trolls and idiots screaming at you after killing you would do to a 9 year old normal boy

damn, after a year or so we might have the real-life incarnation of Jason or something like that, so... his mother probably saved his soul that moment xD

Why does everyone assume all Canadians speak French? We have ONE single province that is "French-speaking" and every other province hates them.

My guess is that most people assume English speaking Canadians are from the US and so the only time they're aware someone is from Canada is when they are Canadien.

(Also about half my family is Québecois so a very polite f- you, to you, sir.)

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

My guess is that most people assume English speaking Canadians are from the US and so the only time they're aware someone is from Canada is when they are Canadien.

(Also about half my family is Québecois so a very polite f- you, to you, sir.)

Je suis français aussi..ne lui faites pas l'esprit!

In other news, I'd like to think Vinny is scheming up a way to get back to me so we can continue our adventure. He's such a brave boy, and I believe he's key in curing the world...

• Like 3