Sign in to follow this  
EddyBalboa

Forest in The Witcher 3

Hey guys, we all have some thoufgths about forests in Dayz, and maybe we all was thinking like - its not possible to improve forests. But hey! Does you look at forests in Witcher 3?  Its like in real life. Maybe Developers can start doing work on forests in similar ways you know? Weather and wind, rain, all that stuff...

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Old__abandoned_a

witcher3_bilderna_692441.jpg

• Like 2

DX12, coming to a DayZ build near you.

I dont understand your words. What do you mean?

The new renderer and the eventual implementation of DX12 will greatly improve the look and flexibility of the DayZ environment.

We are currently using the ancient highly limited DX9 to try to render Chernarus +.

• Like 1

witcher is pretty but atleast near me, forests are more similar to dayz ones

but isn't witcher still sort of linear like your still on a path or can you literally go anywhere like in dayz i remeber in witcher 2 it was open world but yet you still had paths much like knights of the old republic hence why it looks so good i figure.

There are entirely different goals to achieve. In Witcher 3 you have a medieval-ish fantasy world as setting for a specific singleplayer story. In DayZ you have a modern authentic world as setting for a multiplayer sandbox. As every PC only has som many resources there are tradeoffs to be made. For example: a singleplayer RPG can turn off the monster AI on the other side of the world while a multiplayer sandbox might not (it's possible if there are no players around but it's not a guaranteed performance boost).

Thick undergrowth also causes more issues in multiplayer. If you have a non-high-end PC you can reduce it's detail or disable it for singleplayer games. Now this would create a massive advantage (additive graphics - what you get most of the time) or disadvantage (subtractive graphics - like the treeline becoming a green wall) in multiplayer so it's more reasonable to "smooth out" the effects.

Frostbite 2, UE 4 and VBS all support procedural foliage/trees/rocks/etc. To be honest, this could be built into virtually every single game engine with enough time/resources. I am not sure what this has to do with server-side performance.

Thick undergrowth also causes more issues in multiplayer. If you have a non-high-end PC you can reduce it's detail or disable it for singleplayer games. Now this would create a massive advantage (additive graphics - what you get most of the time) or disadvantage (subtractive graphics - like the treeline becoming a green wall) in multiplayer so it's more reasonable to "smooth out" the effects.

The way to balance multiple display settings is through a functional LOD system. I'm not sure what this has to do with undergrowth or additive/subtractive graphics.

Unfortunately you can't really compare single player games to a multi player game or an MMO.

Would be nice though.

• Like 1

There are entirely different goals to achieve. In Witcher 3 you have a medieval-ish fantasy world as setting for a specific singleplayer story. In DayZ you have a modern authentic world as setting for a multiplayer sandbox. As every PC only has som many resources there are tradeoffs to be made. For example: a singleplayer RPG can turn off the monster AI on the other side of the world while a multiplayer sandbox might not (it's possible if there are no players around but it's not a guaranteed performance boost).

Its not about SETTINGS DUDE. ITS ABOUT FORESTS.  Forest in Witcher looks like more realistic then in Arma engine games. Its just idea.

We are currently using the ancient highly limited DX9 to try to render Chernarus +.

DX9 has exact same capabilities as DX11. DX12 doesn't offer anything new really. DayZ has optimization issues and lags like hell not because of DX9 - it will las just the same (or even more) with DX11 or DX12 unless the engine rendering will be split in viszones.

Unfortunately you can't really compare single player games to a multi player game or an MMO.

Oh, so any FPS that supports 32/64 player servers with large maps are MMOs now?

I said a multi player (ie 32/64 players) OR an MMO.

I wouldn't call DayZ an MMO.

This would be very cool if it could be implemented, but personally I doubt it can happen. As explained above Witcher 3 and DayZ are completely different animals. Witcher 3 doesn't have to load a 230 square kilometer map in its entirety plus over a thousand AI while having up to 50 players connected.

Would it be cool? He'll yes. Will it happen? No, at least not in the near future.

This would be very cool if it could be implemented, but personally I doubt it can happen. As explained above Witcher 3 and DayZ are completely different animals. Witcher 3 doesn't have to load a 230 square kilometer map in its entirety plus over a thousand AI while having up to 50 players connected.

Would it be cool? He'll yes. Will it happen? No, at least not in the near future.

Dayz not load all 230 km2 in one you know. Just piece by piece (similar to Witcher) and about ai... lol you think this dayz zombies require much more cpu usage than hordes of AI! (AI AI AI AI AI) wolves Wiverns trolls horses dogs peples and all this stuff in Witcher 3?

Dayz not load all 230 km2 in one you know. Just piece by piece (similar to Witcher) and about ai... lol you think this dayz zombies require much more cpu usage than hordes of AI! (AI AI AI AI AI) wolves Wiverns trolls horses dogs peples and all this stuff in Witcher 3?

How many of these AI in W3 are there simultaneously? I'm not really into the franchise so I haven't researched it much but I highly doubt there are over 1000 fully active at a single time. And again, W3 doesn't have the multiplayer connection aspect of the situation to deal with.

We will never see the forests change in dayz.

All I think they would do (maybe) is add more bushes etc to make it more dense but thats about it.

I would eat my hat if anything happened in the next 4 years on this subject anyways

• Like 1