Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 27 May 15

JHc4smz.jpg

Greetings Survivors,

This week we're switching over to a new Status Report format, and merging in some of the community focused features from the dev hub into a single weekly report. We'll need to work a few kinks out over the coming weeks, so bear with us as we get this new format to the structure we want. 0.56/0.57 Development continues over on the experimental branch - the team is rapidly approaching a candidate ready for a stable branch update.

This weeks Status Report features info on E3, goals for the 0.56/0.57 stable update, and some outstanding charity efforts by DayZ community members.

And remember - the latest news and info on DayZ development is always available via the Dev Hub.

Contents This Week

Development Board Spotlight

5fAT9Vj.jpg

4nol52t.jpg

Back to Contents

Dev Update

4JZBY4I.jpg

Those watching the experimental branch over the last few weeks have seen a high frequency of updates, configuration changes, and restarts as the development team ramped up volume and stress testing in preperation for the stable branch update. Strong gains in server side performance were made, and thanks to player stress testing on experimental branch - critical issues were identified in the performance of infected AI. With the gains in over all performance (server side) with player and simulation handling, we were able to isolate and identify the AI related issues - and the gameplay programming team is hard at work on resolving those issues.

In the mean time, as development continues - a firm red line on server side performance for stable branch has been established. This is to ensure an enjoyable experience, as well as reduce the amount of noise to signal ratio on the feedback tracker, and greatly improve the quality of repro steps, and critical identified issues coming in from that branch.
      Over all, we expect that the experience will be significantly more enjoyable than 0.55 (but not where we want it to be for the release from Early Access)

In the interest of getting an update to stable branch as soon as possible, work on the programming side will continue internally on several key issues identified by players on that branch in 0.55 / 0.56 experimental.

- Intelligent spawning per building / Item per building capacity limits
    - AI Performance costs (Infected - Animal)

As these systems are actively being worked on by the gameplay programming team - the stable branch update will have the spawning of infected, and the persistence disabled on stable branch servers. This is only a temporary measure while these two issues continue to be worked on, and we'll see both base building, and infected return with a vengeance as soon as possible.

- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Back to Contents

DayZ @ E3

UdeUh2Y.jpg

DayZ Lead Producer Brian Hicks will be speaking about modding, and DayZ server hosting at the AMD PC Gaming Conference Tuesday June 16th. 

Hosted by Sean 'Day[9]' Plott, the PC Gaming Show will take place at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles on Tuesday, June 16, 2015. In partnership with Twitch, the PC Gaming Show will be streamed live, and feature new game reveals, updates on beloved series, and perspectives from key PC developers.

Make sure to keep an eye on the AMD PC Gaming Conference website and the DayZ Dev Twitter account for more information.

Back to Contents

Community Video: Always Burning

Youtuber The Running ManZ encounters Twitch streamer Always_OnTour in this short but exciting Solnichniy encounter. If you haven't checked out either of them - now is the time!

TheRunningManZ
Always_OnTour

Back to Contents

• Like 12

Please don't feel hurt, I am not only seeing the negative side of things (but I cannot just ignore them).

The game evolve and regress at the same time.

So, for the time spent since 0.55 and how this futur update is presented, I have to confess I am globally a bit disappointed, and I wonder why or what is going wrong/slow.

Please don't feel hurt, I am not only seeing the negative side of things (but I cannot just ignore them).

So, for the time spent since 0.55 and how this futur update is presented, I have to confess I am globally a bit disappointed, and I wonder why or what is going wrong/slow.

Like Billy Bob Thorton told the fat kid in Bad Santa....they can't all be winners.

The information in this report is short, clear, and succinct.

Nice to hear that the Experimental branch is helping as it should and that isolation of bugs and work on fixes on core AI and loot mechanics are well underway!

Thanks for hard work, all. :beans:

This zombie hunter can only woefully peer down at his hungry weapons until 0.58.

I dream of the scariest most threatening Chernarus imaginable!

Kill me, please!

>:(

Edited by BioHaze

What the frag did I just read? No infected and persistence in next update?? Sad days ahead...

i understand the impatience but it seems like some big changes and additions to the game are happening or being worked on so it would cause a larger window between updates and thats just my opinion and observation. i too want it now all we can do is wait atleast there are folks on experimental branch helping find and destroy bugs so the stable experience is good thx folks.

What the frag did I just read? No infected and persistence in next update?? Sad days ahead...

I think it stated that infected will be in the stable branch, just not the experimental? But ..no loots.....are we getting a wipe then?

I think it stated that infected will be in the stable branch, just not the experimental? But ..no loots.....are we getting a wipe then?

They'll be in the stable branch but will not respawn.  It was worded a little strangely but that's what was meant.  The wipe on this next patch has been known for over a week now.

I'm hoping these are being taken out as a way to focus on performance.  Maybe to get some sort of baseline performance to work with.  That way they know where they stand for performance tweaks down the road.  I have no idea how a development process works on the inside so I could be very wrong.

I'm going to miss persistence but c'est la vie.  It'll be back.

They'll be in the stable branch but will not respawn.  It was worded a little strangely but that's what was meant.  The wipe on this next patch has been known for over a week now.

I'm hoping these are being taken out as a way to focus on performance.  Maybe to get some sort of baseline performance to work with.  That way they know where they stand for performance tweaks down the road.  I have no idea how a development process works on the inside so I could be very wrong.

Oh..ya it was worded weirdly.

If that the case, their baseline on the server would be zip on server load for players ...since they are will be no loot much and no zed, only pvp with fist lol

so... are there flying ships, or is that an underwater tent?

If that the case, their baseline on the server would be zip on server load for players ...since they are will be no loot much and no zed, only pvp with fist lol

I might want to edit that post to change "I could be very wrong" to "I'm probably very wrong." ;)

They'll be in the stable branch but will not respawn. 

ah, but this would be sort of great. Clean a town and it only gets zombie re-bombed once server restarts. Looted towns will hold little zombies, more loot means more zombies.

I seriously hope this feature stays if it is implemented as you describe.

Thanks for the beans, Orlok -_-

Hello there

Info and feedback like this well deserves a like/beans.

But feel free to send me any cash/motherboards/Titan GFX cards/frankfurters/beer you may have lying around if you really wish to thank me :)

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Thats game development for ya. If its disheartening to see the back and forth, I suggest taking a break and coming back when DayZ releases.

• Like 3

i understand the impatience but it seems like some big changes and additions to the game are happening or being worked on so it would cause a larger window between updates and thats just my opinion and observation. i too want it now all we can do is wait atleast there are folks on experimental branch helping find and destroy bugs so the stable experience is good thx folks.

Thats exactly what we've been saying for awhile, and definitely were not kidding.

No, I was *very* clear. Spawning of infected will be disabled.

I was also very clear as to why this was happening, and the fact that it was temporary while the bug is being worked on.

• Like 1

Well I think it's time after a whole year plus to have a good break when stable is zombie and persistence less ... Persistence was one of the things that really make this game special to me, so without that or even zombies I'm going to have to avoid it like the plague ... I really hope this zombie and persistence "issues" are resolved quickly because I guarantee stable will be the most empty it's ever been ! So boring with just pvp , I really do hope that that stable branch stays for no longer that a couple weeks ... :( !

• Like 2

man! was so excited for .57 now i guess ill see you all in a few weeks

Thats game development for ya. If its disheartening to see the back and forth, I suggest taking a break and coming back when DayZ releases.

I think what he's trying to point out is, that the development just always looks like it is really slow. Not trying to offend you or not respect your work at any means, as I really think it is high quality, at least concerning content wise, but what really seems to be the problem ( excuse me if I am wrong) is the technical part. I have already taken a break for roughly 3 months now, for the reasons of bad fps and "lag" ( I do not know if it actually is lag or something else, like desync) and the zombies, connected to this. Now, I tried it again after these months but those problems have not been improved in any way, at least no obvious way. So what I am wondering about, are .56 and .57 mainly focussing these issues or is it again mainly about adding new items? I am sorry if I sound disrespectful, as this is really not my intention.

By the way, as far as the new Status Report design is concerned, are you planning to leave out the standup notes entirely or is it just for this particular one, because I always found them really useful.

So boring with just pvp , I really do hope that that stable branch stays for no longer that a couple weeks ... :( !

I agree, but don't blame the devs, they need to get stuff fixed and I am free to and most likely will skip the PvP stable part with no zeds. Will definitely come back once PvE has a stronger role, though

are .56 and .57 mainly focussing these issues or is it again mainly about adding new items?

From what I gathered, it's more about performance, CLE, inventory, so the basics of the game. Which is a good step in my opinion.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 1

I think what he's trying to point out is, that the development just always looks like it is really slow. Not trying to offend you or not respect your work at any means, as I really think it is high quality, at least concerning content wise, but what really seems to be the problem ( excuse me if I am wrong) is the technical part. I have already taken a break for roughly 3 months now, for the reasons of bad fps and "lag" ( I do not know if it actually is lag or something else, like desync) and the zombies, connected to this. Now, I tried it again after these months but those problems have not been improved in any way, at least no obvious way. So what I am wondering about, are .56 and .57 mainly focussing these issues or is it again mainly about adding new items? I am sorry if I sound disrespectful, as this is really not my intention.

By the way, as far as the new Status Report design is concerned, are you planning to leave out the standup notes entirely or is it just for this particular one, because I always found them really useful.

I've been quoted across a great deal of places reiterating this point: Development of the game is going to have bugs, critical issues, even gamebreaking problems - this will ebb and flow, go back and forth with almost regularity. Heck, I'd say its even a "safe bet" - if you're a betting man. Expect this, expect issues all throughout development - *especially* prior to entering Feature Complete / Beta. Coming back and being disappointed because of issues is only going to lead to stress and being upset.

Patches to Stable Branch are not like patches to a shipped game, or an MMO - Its just the most stable development build come the end of that month.

Believe me when I say I expect the game to break even more throughout the remainder of this year. Its going to be a bumpy, but fun and engaging ride from here to Feature Complete / Beta at the very least.

As far as the Standup Notes - much like the entirety of the Status Report this is something I wanted to get out in the hands of people and share. However with the Standup notes (Versus the Status Report itself) I find a lot of confusion regardless of the text, warnings, and so on. People seem to read the list of tasks that week as promises, change logs, or hard commitments and it just caused more confusion and conflict than good.

• Like 6

There's a lot of cool stuff coming up and it only make sense that some things are going to break when so much more is being added so quickly. Fix as you go, keep working toward feature-complete status and then soften those rough edges. I can understand why it would be frustrating for some players but I'm actually really excited to see it as it goes.

Thank you Hicks for trying to explain things additionally to the status reports here. We appreciate your hard work, but I guess a bunch of people (including me) are a bit dissapointed after the latest status report, because you teased us with some awesome stuff a few weeks/months ago (new HUD concept, some screenshots from the new renderer, new audio FX from the sound guy etc) and now we don't know what happened to all this long term tasks. I'm sure you guys are working your asses off to complete the major changes in tech, but can we have some insights please? What is the problem with the new renderer (planned for Q1 and delayed to May for internal testing)? Is it already working in your internal build or do you guys need more time? Anything new about the new player controller or the new HUD? Are you guys testing a 64bit client version of DayZ? There are so many open questions about the current state of development and I think it's quite fair that a bunch of people are complaining about the lack of communication. You have a really passionate and addicted community for your game...we all hope for major improvments and we would love to see more of your development process.