Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 27 May 15

So, if your around. Will the new 3pp camera be in experimental after .57 stable is out? Really cant wait to see what it can do.

I'm at home - so I might disappear, but yeah I'm here.

We do intend to put the prototype 3PP camera onto experimental post-stable update, yeah. Its still a prototype though, it has some issues of its own.

I suppose its an interesting suggestion. Naturally the first thing I would worry about is riling up those who already think software developers who struggle with solving problems or creating new systems are somehow abnormal, or insufficient. There are some changes I'll be trying out over the coming weeks with the Status Report and forums, etc as I move more of the management of these things over to SMoss our Community Manager. I'll be here in the Status Report posts to discuss them.

Edit: Thought about this a bit more - Sure, I'll give it a try. 

Thank you very much for reading and even replying to my previous comment. True, this could be an issue. But i would not see it as something completely bad - it will give you and your team even more humanity with sympathy. People still tend to forget that humans are working, not perfect maschines. Luckily some from the community are not forgetting this fact. 

Anyway, if i ever meet you in Chernaurus or in reallife, you will get so many beans and drinks as possible! :)  We, the community, appreciate it very much for your time (it's weekend and you use your free time to reply here or on twitter etc.) and from your team's (Eugen and other developers)

Edited by PaniXx
  • Like 1

will there be an update regarding your roadmap eventually. i think the broader community would very much appreciate it. it doesn't matter if you are behind or ahead of some goals, people most of the time just want to hear acknowledgement in any form. just wanted to throw this out.

good luck for the upcoming months!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Thought about this a bit more - Sure, I'll give it a try. 

If status reports are meant as updates on what is ready to be shown. And the developer discussion section shows a little more WIP and discussion about features or ideas, which is more related to creative process than status of implementation.

It seems like what is left over is the disconnect between community understanding the finished vision (which we are mostly clueless) and what we are seeing as it is being worked on (stable). Peoples imagination runs wild in between these.

DayZ discussion should be fun (talking about it, is as fun as playing it!), the majority of the forum should just be creative fuel for the DayZ concept, which is done well in the Design and dev subsections. Creative fuel from discussion is great for fresh and active thinking.

Hope you keep interacting there with little care of explaining tech progress.

Edited by Coheed_IV

i think this is a perfect while little example what people wpuld die for to see in reports

you fixed the fov exploit!?! you magnificent bastards..how come no one ever mentioned this :D?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

I suppose its an interesting suggestion. Naturally the first thing I would worry about is riling up those who already think software developers who struggle with solving problems or creating new systems are somehow abnormal, or insufficient. There are some changes I'll be trying out over the coming weeks with the Status Report and forums, etc as I move more of the management of these things over to SMoss our Community Manager. I'll be here in the Status Report posts to discuss them.

Edit: Thought about this a bit more - Sure, I'll give it a try. 

I would absolutely LOVE this, I tend not to delve to deeply into speculations about what is up with what, but getting a line or two that tells me, even if it is in such technical terms that i have to google it, what is happening with the implementation of systems and the testing phase, would me magnificent.

since I tend to read status reports like somebody is telling me something, i know a couple of things.

- zombies are borked, so they aren't in experimental, nor will they be in stable.

- CLE is not as it should, so stable will be per-off as of 0.57

If the status report (or a feedback-tracker implemented tech-report) would tell me that "zombies are borked because of x, or CLE is down because y done effed z up"

I would be SO happy.

also i love the game, don't ever change, keep on shining, give eugen and yourself a pat on the back for the constant late nights, and holla at ya boy if you need snus mailed to you #bribery

i think this is a perfect while little example what people wpuld die for to see in reports

http://youtu.be/AG7gaevMPMc

you fixed the fov exploit!?! you magnificent bastards..how come no one ever mentioned this :D?

Holy shit nice ! Hicks if you're there Mang , can you do this as easily for the gamma slider ? Or is that another ball game ? Keep up the good work dayz devs and Much appreciate the response if you get the time !

I would absolutely LOVE this, I tend not to delve to deeply into speculations about what is up with what, but getting a line or two that tells me, even if it is in such technical terms that i have to google it, what is happening with the implementation of systems and the testing phase, would me magnificent.

since I tend to read status reports like somebody is telling me something, i know a couple of things.

- zombies are borked, so they aren't in experimental, nor will they be in stable.

- CLE is not as it should, so stable will be per-off as of 0.57

If the status report (or a feedback-tracker implemented tech-report) would tell me that "zombies are borked because of x, or CLE is down because y done effed z up"

I would be SO happy.

also i love the game, don't ever change, keep on shining, give eugen and yourself a pat on the back for the constant late nights, and holla at ya boy if you need snus mailed to you #bribery

Well actually - the Status Reports did cover why Infected were problematic - and why persistence (not the CLE) was being temporarily turned off.

Also: I found a shop a few days ago here that sold Snus, *thank god*

Holy shit nice ! Hicks if you're there Mang , can you do this as easily for the gamma slider ? Or is that another ball game ? Keep up the good work dayz devs and Much appreciate the response if you get the time !

The gamma slider is a little bit trickier - given it does actually serve a legitimate function that can easily be exploited. Something will be done before release though, for certain.

Well actually - the Status Reports did cover why Infected were problematic - and why persistence (not the CLE) was being temporarily turned off.

Also: I found a shop a few days ago here that sold Snus, *thank god*

The gamma slider is a little bit trickier - given it does actually serve a legitimate function that can easily be exploited. Something will be done before release though, for certain.

Sweet thanks for responding mate... Snus is sold everywhere here near boston come around some time (don't drink the water you'll get the flu :( )

can anyone of you pick up a tent? (black 3 person camping tent) i surely can't. will create a bug report if necesary

when DayZ's alpha was released they annouced that private servers will be supported and we will get the server files to host our own servers&hives - but hicks stated the opposite on twitter.

i'd be extremly pissed if the server files will not be released after you advertised it clearly.

private servers are the only reason i bought dayz, i got my own server and i do not intend to play on the official hive. i'd rather have my money back before i pay a GSP while my own server is idle.

could we get any confirmed information on private servers?

Thats game development for ya. If its disheartening to see the back and forth, I suggest taking a break and coming back when DayZ releases.

Brian Hicks needs a lesson in Public Relations.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225428-status-report-27-may-15/

"That's game development for ya. If its disheartening to see the back and forth, I suggest taking a break and coming back when DayZ releases."

Telling devoted passionate DayZ SA Players to "take a break" from the game? I do not understand the thought process. Brian should be building momentum and not driving players away from his game.

Based upon the statistics: http://steamcharts.com/app/221100, Brian is doing a terrible job of keeping players interested.

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players Last 30 Days 6,153.3 -371.2 -5.69% 12,336 May 2015 6,524.5 -2,749.8 -29.65% 13,104 April 2015 9,274.4 -4,572.1 -33.02% 25,784 March 2015 13,846.5 -1,160.8 -7.73% 29,190 February 2015 15,007.2 +559.8 +3.87% 29,001 January 2015 14,447.5 -860.1 -5.62% 29,335 December 2014 15,307.6 +1,982.9 +14.88% 29,338

How can we get Brian and his team to fix the major issues with clipping and stop worrying about unimportant things like the location of spawning and the loot economy?

In addition, how can we get Brian's attention and "stop the madness" with his moronic twitter war with the development team from RUST?

H1Z1 comes out with updates at a rate of 20 to 1 compared to DayZ. How do we get Brian and his team to focus and listen to the community? DayZ SA needs work around the engine, and the bugs that we have submitted. How do we get Brian and his team to listen to our feedback?

when DayZ's alpha was released they annouced that private servers will be supported and we will get the server files to host our own servers&hives - but hicks stated the opposite on twitter.

i'd be extremly pissed if the server files will not be released after you advertised it clearly.

private servers are the only reason i bought dayz, i got my own server and i do not intend to play on the official hive. i'd rather have my money back before i pay a GSP while my own server is idle.

could we get any confirmed information on private servers?

Keep an eye on the Status Reports - We've mentioned what we're talking about E3 - and this exact subject is covered.

Brian Hicks needs a lesson in Public Relations.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225428-status-report-27-may-15/

"That's game development for ya. If its disheartening to see the back and forth, I suggest taking a break and coming back when DayZ releases."

Telling devoted passionate DayZ SA Players to "take a break" from the game? I do not understand the thought process. Brian should be building momentum and not driving players away from his game.

Based upon the statistics: http://steamcharts.com/app/221100, Brian is doing a terrible job of keeping players interested.

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players Last 30 Days 6,153.3 -371.2 -5.69% 12,336 May 2015 6,524.5 -2,749.8 -29.65% 13,104 April 2015 9,274.4 -4,572.1 -33.02% 25,784 March 2015 13,846.5 -1,160.8 -7.73% 29,190 February 2015 15,007.2 +559.8 +3.87% 29,001 January 2015 14,447.5 -860.1 -5.62% 29,335 December 2014 15,307.6 +1,982.9 +14.88% 29,338

How can we get Brian and his team to fix the major issues with clipping and stop worrying about unimportant things like the location of spawning and the loot economy?

In addition, how can we get Brian's attention and "stop the madness" with his moronic twitter war with the development team from RUST?

H1Z1 comes out with updates at a rate of 20 to 1 compared to DayZ. How do we get Brian and his team to focus and listen to the community? DayZ SA needs work around the engine, and the bugs that we have submitted. How do we get Brian and his team to listen to our feedback?

I was going to DM you about this, as it does not really belong in the Status Report thread - but I decided to just reply in here:

While I understand that you think my responsibility should be driving sales, momentum, player concurrency and so forth - I need to be very clear to set expectations and not try and spin DayZ's Early Access into something it is not. Just like the warnings on the store page, and the stickied posts from developers *discouraging* the purchase of the Early Access unless folks are completely okay with what it provides, expectations should be managed carefully at this stage in development.

While keeping player concurrency up as much as possible *is* a priority, my first responsibility lies in the health of the actual development - and fully utilizing the volume and load testing that Early Access offers us. The light at the end of my personal tunnel is DayZ, the finished product - and how we can best utilize Early Access to ensure that milestone is as enjoyable, stable, and secure as possible.

Small side note - there is no twitter war between me and Garry. We are friends, and the direct tweets to each other are tongue in cheek. There is zero hostility there, I assure you.

As far as the issues you feel are not being addressed, I give you my word they are. The Central Economy is *absolutely critical* to DayZ as a product, and its development (and the related balancing) takes no resources, nor time from the developers working on the other - longer form tasks such as AI development, audio module development, rendering module development, and so forth.

• Like 3