FlimFlamm

How would you feel if 1st person perspective was mandatory?

3PP vs 1PP  

328 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if 3pp was removed and 1pp was mandatory?

• I would feel neutral about it
    • I would feel concerned about it
    • I would feel utterly disgusted by it
    • I would feel OK about it
    • I would absolutely love it

I voted I'd absolutely love it if they removed third person, as it's just retarded. It's such an inferior camera view. We all know why it's terrible, so I don't need to go into detail.

With that said though, I'm torn. I want more people to be forced into trying first person, so they can finally see that it's so much better. But at the same time I think people should be able to play DayZ the way they want. And if the way their want to play it is incredibly stupid, that's up to them.

Edit: On a side note. Hicks, you want a hardcore game, and you don't care how many people leave as long as it's your vision. So why not just remove third person? You know it's shit. We know it's shit. Now grow a pair and remove it.

Edited by Connect3d

I voted I'd absolutely love it if they removed third person, as it's just retarded. It's such an inferior camera view. We all know why it's terrible, so I don't need to go into detail.

With that said though, I'm torn. I want more people to be forced into trying first person, so they can finally see that it's so much better. But at the same time I think people should be able to play DayZ the way they want. And if the way their want to play it is incredibly stupid, that's up to them.

Edit: On a side note. Hicks, you want a hardcore game, and you don't care how many people leave as long as it's your vision. So why not just remove third person? You know it's shit. We know it's shit. Now grow a pair and remove iT

Third person isn't stupid, that's such a childish attitude. For God's sake learn the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion'.

Edited by snipertrifle

Test servers are all 1st/3rd person servers right now so I was forced to play on 3rd person servers if I wanted to play experimental. My time there went like this:

• Well I suppose I should see if the changes have made a difference for 3rd person.
  • Hmmm... I can still look over fences and around corners
  • Crap, High Traffic area, I better switch to 3rd
  • Huh... I can see things around me a lot easier
  • Drinking from a fountain isn't as scary as it was
  • WOW IS DRIVING A TRUCK EASY! Holy crap as passenger I can see people in buildings or behind fences...
  • Hmmm... I don't like looting tight buildings in 3rd, but it makes making sure no one is in them easier.
  • I best leave this on.... that zombie would have surprised me otherwise
  • This game seems easier now

I then went back to playing on a 1st person private server and had to unlearn several bad habits I picked up. 

• Like 3

Third person isn't stupid, that's such a childish attitude

It's pretty much:

well-that-was-easy.png

• Like 4

Edit: On a side note. Hicks, you want a hardcore game, and you don't care how many people leave as long as it's your vision. So why not just remove third person? You know it's shit. We know it's shit. Now grow a pair and remove it.

..and they say people pushing this never ending agenda of 1st>3rd come across like a bunch of tacticool neckbeards trying to force their views on everybody.

You do not come across like that at all.

Third person isn't stupid, that's such a childish attitude. For God's sake learn the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion'.

I don't believe I did anything to claim it was a fact. I simply stated my opinion.

I don't believe I did anything to claim it was a fact. I simply stated my opinion.

All the same can we not call other people's personal preferences 'shit', thanks

My advice to people that don't like playing with 3PP but feel like they have no choice because 1PP-only pubs never have players:

Find a good private hive server that's 1PP-only.  I know of at least two, one in Texas (DayZ Underground) and another in the central time-zone (can't remember the name, somethingsomething Heli something), that have heavy player-traffic at peak hours.  The central time-zone one is actually one of the most heavily trafficked servers in the world.  Private hives are the only 1PP-restricted servers you'll find with good player counts.  It just doesn't happen on public.

3PP is here to stay.  It's completely game-breaking in myriad ways (we're talking about a magic third eyeball floating several feet above and behind your head in a game that's supposed to be sim-oriented), but it's essential for making DayZ more accessible to casual players, a portion of whom eventually mature enough to see the merit of 1PP-only and come over to those servers.  It's a necessary evil, in other words.  3PP is like training-wheels on a bike.

This is the internet. I advise thicker skin.

Edited by cogwheel
  • Like 3

Find a good private hive server that's 1PP-only.  I know of at least two, one in Texas (DayZ Underground) and another in the central time-zone (can't remember the name, somethingsomething Heli something), that have heavy player-traffic at peak hours.  The central time-zone one is actually one of the most heavily trafficked servers in the world.  Private hives are the only 1PP-restricted servers you'll find with good player counts.  It just doesn't happen on public.

This same advice is given to players that want reduced KoS on pub servers and it is also the best solution for everyone.

To be honest, characters should be server-bound with an in-game option to transfer a character to other servers, regardless of the perspective. You could play Mon-Fri on a 3PP server with randoms and Sat-Sun 1PP with a group. This is the system in ARK and it works wonderfully. It also fixes server hopping.

What if they are a coprophiliac?

I have thick skin and I'm not offended by him, but I just want to point out elitist morons give the 1PP community a bad name.

My advice to people that don't like playing with 3PP but feel like they have no choice because 1PP-only pubs never have players:

3PP is here to stay.  It's completely game-breaking in myriad ways (we're talking about a magic third eyeball floating several feet above and behind your head in a game that's supposed to be sim-oriented), but it's essential for making DayZ more accessible to casual players, a portion of whom eventually mature enough to see the merit of 1PP-only and come over to those servers.  It's a necessary evil, in other words.  3PP is like training-wheels on a bike.

You 1pp people can always switch to 1pp mode and play the game you want, nobody is forcing you.

Heck just start a new server up, like the rest of the server admins are doing and Advertise 1pp only. I bet you would get 128 players right off the bat :)

Don't leave this up to the other admins to pay the bill, start donating funds together and you will have more then enough people to make it #1 server 1pp online.

Taking actions yourself means you will get followers to your 1pp server, run it right and don't abuse it. If people don't donate then they don't care.

If 3pp is the only server you can find online, its a good example that it either needs FOV adjustments, or people actually out number the 1pp so much so they don't care to follow the forums at all.

I hope you take my suggestions with heart and make a good 1pp server there. I am sure you can do it, just a slight startup costs. Asking the 3pp to switch to 1pp is wrong, they rent the servers.

and I totally agree with your post, why I am quoting you.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

I get pretty tired of these guys who act like such manly men saying that 3PP is for children who don't understand what a "scary" game is until you play DayZ in 1PP. I personally find 1PP clunky and extremely annoying for several things like melee combat. If you like it, then feel free to use it, just don't shove 1PP down my throat.

• Like 1

:D

Your whole post was like: "We all know this and that" "3pp is this and that"

If you voice an oppinion you should say: "I think that..." "In my oppinion..."

See the difference? ;)

I think it's interesting that the 1pp elitists are trying so hard to ruin the fun of the 3pp players?

Why is that?

Who are they to say how DayZ has to be played?

Are they scared that the masses don't care about them?

Don't come with that silly realism argument in a computer game.

I am 100% sure that if we'd ask all players around the world, which mode they prefer most of them would say 3pp. And it'd have nothing to do with peeking...

I liked both but since I got sick (I would have thrown up , if I hadn't stopped playing) from playing 1pp lately, I don't really have a choice.

But you don't care about those people, right?

You are like some of my kindergarten kids who don't have brothers or sisters and don't understand that other kids have the right to voice their oppinion and play with that cool toy, too.

So now we even have 1pp players on the forums who create multiple accounts to seem more people. lol

Edit: And to those people who say things like: "A real man/pro/hardcore player plays 1pp or he is a noob." I say:

A real man plays what ever the **** he wants and doesn't care if people don't like it.

Edited by too-easy

I think it's interesting that the 1pp elitists are trying so hard to ruin the fun of the 3pp players?

No one is trying to ruin your fun. In fact I am attempting to help you understand how much better the game becomes in 1st person. I am in fact trying to help you take off your training wheels so you can learn to ride your bike in a manner that is more fun. 3rd person is a crutch.

I am 100% sure that if we'd ask all players around the world, which mode they prefer most of them would say 3pp. And it'd have nothing to do with peeking...

I'm 100% sure most of them would say 3rd person since the majority of people really don't like challenges and so will take the easier route. Just like all the really popular servers for the mod where you started with food, water, guns, bandages, a backpack, and maybe even a bicycle you could unpack and pack so you could get around easier.

You are like some of my kindergarten kids who don't have brothers or sisters and don't understand that other kids have the right to voice their oppinion and play with that cool toy, too.

Actually, it's you who is mimicking the little young minds you teach. I'm pretty sure if you told them they could have a candybar if they solved a math problem or they could have a candy bar if they sat there for 10 seconds they would pick the 10 seconds option since it is easier. Sure they wouldn't learn anything or really have a sense of earning the candybar.... but hey they prefered it, right?

Edit: And to those people who say things like: "A real man/pro/hardcore player plays 1pp or he is a noob." I say:

A real man plays what ever the **** he wants and doesn't care if people don't like it.

I agree with you 100%, but I still think you would have more fun in 1st person. If it makes you sick then you might need to adjust the settings a bit, probably just turn off headbob since FoV is the same in either mode, one is just 3 meters above the other so you can see everything around you.

• Like 1

No one is trying to ruin your fun. In fact I am attempting to help you understand how much better the game becomes in 1st person. I am in fact trying to help you take off your training wheels so you can learn to ride your bike in a manner that is more fun. 3rd person is a crutch.

I'm 100% sure most of them would say 3rd person since the majority of people really don't like challenges and so will take the easier route. Just like all the really popular servers for the mod where you started with food, water, guns, bandages, a backpack, and maybe even a bicycle you could unpack and pack so you could get around easier.

Actually, it's you who is mimicking the little young minds you teach. I'm pretty sure if you told them they could have a candybar if they solved a math problem or they could have a candy bar if they sat there for 10 seconds they would pick the 10 seconds option since it is easier. Sure they wouldn't learn anything or really have a sense of earning the candybar.... but hey they prefered it, right?

I agree with you 100%, but I still think you would have more fun in 1st person. If it makes you sick then you might need to adjust the settings a bit, probably just turn off headbob since FoV is the same in either mode, one is just 3 meters above the other so you can see everything around you.

(I couldn't figure out how to split up the quote in this forum (HTML didn't work), so I have to answer without splitting it up.)

Why is it so hard to grasp that this is your own oppinion? It is not a fact or the truth.

Why are you even bringing this argument, when you already know that I am physically unable to play in 1st person?

It is not fun to throw up while playing a game, so it WOULD ruin my fun if they were to remove 3rd person. ;)

I would LOVE to be able to play 1st person, but I love playing 3rd person, too.

3rd person has its challenges, too. People still get ambushed easily and you have to learn how to deal with the "exploit" you are all so agitated about.^^

Following the logic of your kindergarten example:

Are you saying that no matter which way I play DayZ the result would be the same? :P

If I were able to convince my kids that they would get something really great if they can solve the math problem,while they wouldn't if they'd just sit still, they all would try to solve the math problem. Only very few would choose the easy way. It's a matter of how to motivate them.

But since it's the same in DayZ, I don't see why you made this comparison.^^

To be serious, everybody who thinks his own oppinion is the truth should reflect more about himself. It is great to have a big confidence, but when people try to convince other people that only they know the truth and others are all wrong, dangerous things can happen. The fact that some people shout "witch" doesn't make it true.

Just look around and see what people did and do to each other (holocaust, crusade, christianization in Africa, jihad...). Those are extreme examples, but very similar to what happens here in a much smaller scale.

At least in the last part you said that "you think" that I would have more fun. Finally accepting that this is YOUR oppinion.

I appreciate that you are trying to make my experience in DayZ better (no sarcasm here), but as it is now, this is not going to happen.

Maybe when it is more optimized I will be able to feel the fear of 1st person again; without getting sick.

When the SA came out I had one 3rd person character and one 1st person character.

3rd person was for teamplay and pvp, 1st person was for survival and friendly interaction (if possible).

It's pretty much:

well-that-was-easy.png

Ya well I think 1pp is way more easier than 3pp because the judgement/amount of dangerous areas is less since no one can peek, window/roof periscope and so on.

3pp is more demanding when looting a town or mil base because they will be there: Watching you, waiting for you to turn your back.

Edited by Rauchsauger

I would be disappointed, since it would mean that devs changed the major aspect of the game, simply beacause of the whining minority.

If you think about it, in the long run it could actually make the whinners unhappy, because their made up argument "I'm better than you because I play 1pp." could no longer be used.

• Like 1

(I couldn't figure out how to split up the quote in this forum (HTML didn't work), so I have to answer without splitting it up.)

Why is it so hard to grasp that this is your own oppinion? It is not a fact or the truth.

I could point to countless studies and psychology that shows that when people work for something they appreciate it more. There is a reason people are playing DayZ which is supposed to be a difficult struggle as opposed to countless other games where you do not have to worry about food, disease, and such and start with gear. Games where ammo falls off AI bodies so you don't have to carefully ration it, and such.

If you don't care about the PVP aspect of the game, well 3rd person makes everything easier. You can stalk AI animals who can't see you because you are behind cover that you can look over and around with 3rd person. You can easily avoid zombies in towns in the same way.

If you do care about the PVP portion 3rd person ends up boiling it down to hiding in cover watching your opponent hiding in cover. Many viable tactics get thrown out the window like suppression. CQC room clearing is a joke because either they are sitting in a location where they can see a person coming, or you can sweep a room without ever exposing yourself to fire.

On top of that being locked into 1st person adds another comparison value to things like Backpacks and Jackets as some end up blocking visibility when you look behind you. In 3rd this never even comes into play and so one whole "feature" of gear balance is ignored. You usually won't see someone in 1st run around with a mountain backpack unless those extra slots REALLY mean a lot to them because it completely blocks vision over your shoulders which you often use in 1st.

So it might be opinion but I can use factual evidence to support my opinion just like you are using your sickness as a fact to support your opinion that 3rd is better. I do have to ask though, is it all 1st person games, or just DayZ in 1st? 

• Like 1

Ya well I think 1pp is way more easier than 3pp because the judgement/amount of dangerous areas is less since no one can peek, window/roof periscope and so on.

3pp is more demanding when looting a town or mil base because they will be there: Watching you, waiting for you to turn your back.

Except there is nothing you can do to prevent that. No, "Working Harder" can overcome the fact that someone is camping a rooftop unless there happens to be a hill you can climb that has a higher elevation nearby. Of course that still doesn't stop the, "I'm hiding around the corner of the jail out of sight". 

In addition as I have mentioned multiple times, combat boils down to sitting behind cover using 3rd to watch your opponent's movement. This is a lot easier than having to judge if it is worth sticking some part of your body out to get eyes on your opponent. What if you stay hunkered down and he is moving to flank you and negate your cover? You can't see if he is, but what if he is posted waiting for your head to come out of cover already aiming at your location? You can't sit here, but you can't poke out.... Did he just bounce a round off my cover to force me to stay here while he moves or did he see some portion of me and fire but hit cover instead?

Against AI, they don't get a periscope so they become easy to avoid or track. 

• Like 1

I voted no, I first started playing this game because it to me wasnt being marketed as a fps game. It was an mmo zombie survival sim and since the beginning of online gaming I've played in third person when I play open world mmo. That's what I enjoy. First person is not even close to what it would be like in real life. Nor is third person, hence for proper immersion and game play both camera views are necessary for those who don't care about just PVP and enjoy the game for other reasons. If your a fisherman who spends his lonely days up north I'm sure you don't give a flying crap if some chump sniper is abusing the camera in cherno on a rooftop. I've tried playing this solely FPP and it's just not fun, not sure how you FPP elitists feel that way, but it's too clunky restrictive and just plain silly sometimes (re can't see into the window of the house you're standing beside) unless drastic changes were made to FPP it would only be a short time longer that I had dayz installed on my pc.

• Like 3

No, 3rd person is not a crutch, considering I have much more fun on 3PP servers than I ever did on 1PP, and I have no intention to move on. The game does NOT become better in 1PP because some people don't like 1PP, why do you elitists find this so hard to understand? And I don't understand why you are obsessed with telling us 3PP is easier and therefore inferior, I find 1PP unnecesssarily clunky and that's why I and many others don't play, and 3PP DayZ is not 'easy' by any means. I think you have a distorted view of 3PP of people camping Elektro hospital, because when I play I like to move around and it adds an element of tactics not knowing who is watching you and where from.

Edited by snipertrifle
  • Like 1

No, 3rd person is not a crutch, considering I have much more fun on 3PP servers than I ever did on 1PP, and I have no intention to move on. The game does NOT become better in 1PP because some people don't like 1PP, why do you elitists find this so hard to understand? And I don't understand why you are obsessed with telling us 3PP is easier and therefore inferior, I find 1PP unnecesssarily clunky and that's why I and many others don't play, and 3PP DayZ is not 'easy' by any means. I think you have a distorted view of 3PP of people camping Elektro hospital, because when I play I like to move around and it adds an element of tactics not knowing who is watching you and where from.

Combat in 3pp:

1. Find cover

2. Look over and around cover

3. Shoot other person when you see them leaving cover

Boring and Easy.

AI in 3pp:

1. Look over cover

2. avoid zombie by watching them and moving when they are not looking since you can see them and they can't see you. Alternately sneak up on animal using cover because you can see them and they can't see you.

This alll equates to very boring and easy-mode gaming.

• Like 2

Combat in 3pp:

1. Find cover

2. Look over and around cover

3. Shoot other person when you see them leaving cover

Boring and Easy.

AI in 3pp:

1. Look over cover

2. avoid zombie by watching them and moving when they are not looking since you can see them and they can't see you. Alternately sneak up on animal using cover because you can see them and they can't see you.

This alll equates to very boring and easy-mode gaming.

Again, that's just bullshit. I've had fights like that but the ability to use 3rd person doesn't make you invisible to everyone. But if I can fight flawed logic with flawed logic, here we go:

3PP fights:

1 Use cover to your advantage

2 Make sure you aren't being watched

3 Plan and make your move accordingly

1PP fights:

1 Hide in a bush because no one can see me, right?

2 Run when you feel safe

I KNOW this isn't what happens but it's just an eye opener for you.