LHXz

LOW Fps on a GTX760?

Hi guys, this is my new post here, and I'm having trouble about my FPS. I did everything, but looks like something is locking my FPS on 20.0 FPS, doesn't matter what I do.  I tried everything, even playing on low setting. Am I the only one? And why I can play with perfect FPS others games and not DayZ? 

DayZ is a CPU hungry beast at the moment, your gpu won't be the bottleneck.  I am using the same gpu and frames are fine (the typical 60+ until I hit a city then mid 20s, but I'm pretty sure this is what most experience).  Don't set things to low it will offload them from gpu to cpu and make things worse.

• Like 2

Can u send me your configs please ? 

I wouldn't use someone else's config. Just edit your own.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 3

What are your specs other than your GPU? It will most likely be your CPU that is bottleneck in as stated earlier but specs would help.

There are plenty of performance guides online concerning DayZ including under Troubleshooting section on this forum. Pinned by SMoss.

A free program called Unpark CPU also helped me quite a bit.

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

From what I noticed, whether playing on lowest or highest seems to not have any effect on my FPS. 
Regardless of my settings I sit at 20FPS around just about every building, and 30FPS in woods and ect.
3 of my friends who I play with sit at the exact same frames as I do even with our builds being completely different. 

1 of my friends has a AMD Phenom II x4 at 3.8ghz with 8GB of DDR3 at 1866mhz with a GTX480 1.5gb VRAM and he sits at around 20 inside cities on low/medium spec. We switched out his GPU for a GTX 970 and its the same.

So I'm thinking it could CPU related... 

However at the same time, he gets the exact same frames as I do and I have a GTX Titan Superclocked+, 16gb of DDR3 2400mhz, and a i7-3930k at 3.8ghz running on a 10k drive... 

So at the same time, I believe the problem could also be on the developers side. They did release in the patch notes 2 days ago about fixing player performance issues. However, they have been saying that for a year and a half, so I don't hold my breath for their promises anymore. 

I have a FX-6300, i don't think it's bottlenecking :( 

The game currently doesn't have much use for a high-end graphic card other than to make things prettier. Its very much dependant on what cpu you got and its speed. A high end high frequency cpu will run the game fine while a budget multi-core cpu running at a lower frequency will struggle. So if your cpu is a FX-6300 the best thing you can do is to overclock it adn run at lower resolution. Your cpu is not enough for this game, right now. As it develops this will change, recources will free up and the game will run smoother on lesser hardware. Once they get to optimization you cpu will most likely perform nicely.

I have a i7-4790k and amd 7970 and get 40 fps in cities if I'm lucky. Its playable but not much more than that. And I've noticed lots of people have problems with performance.

The game currently doesn't have much use for a high-end graphic card other than to make things prettier. Its very much dependant on what cpu you got and its speed. A high end high frequency cpu will run the game fine while a budget multi-core cpu running at a lower frequency will struggle. So if your cpu is a FX-6300 the best thing you can do is to overclock it adn run at lower resolution. Your cpu is not enough for this game, right now. As it develops this will change, recources will free up and the game will run smoother on lesser hardware. Once they get to optimization you cpu will most likely perform nicely.

I have a i7-4790k and amd 7970 and get 40 fps in cities if I'm lucky. Its playable but not much more than that. And I've noticed lots of people have problems with performance.

I dunno. I have a 6350 (though it's OC'd to 4.6ghz) and I get decent frames. Better than many people with 'better' CPU's have reported. The highest I've experienced in cities, depending on my config file at the time, was about 47 while running in Chernogorsk. The best I've had in the wilderness is 90-100. At the moment, as I reinstalled everything on my computer and haven't played with my config file, on medium-high settings (though I disable all of the antialiasing, post processing etc as I just don't like the look of a lot of it/it doesn't really do much imo) I'm getting 50-110 in the wild/small towns and 27+ in larger towns and cities (never seen it dip below 27, except for the occasional massive lag spike, though I actually tend to get them in the wild. Not sure what causes it, maybe loading in lootsplosions? Lasts a couple seconds, but drops down to >10). Depending on the city, I can hit 40fps in some places (and much higher while inside a building).

Full specs are:

AMD Radeon HD 7870

AMD FX 6350 (OC'd to 4.6 24/7 stable)

16GB 1333mhz Ram (OC'd to 1600mhz 24/7 stable)

120GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD (Operating System and programs, 8GB paging file)

60GB Corsair Force LS SSD (Main games, including DayZ and 2GB paging file)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM drive (Secondary games, 100GB paging file)

2TB WD 7200RPM drive (Documents, Music, Pictures, backup, recording drive, 300GB paging file & program caches)

I'm aware that my paging files are ridiculous overkill, but the only drive I have that is more than half full is my 60GB ssd. Might as well use the rest of the space for something.

Compared to other games on my PC, sure, the performance is crappy, but I think it's outright wrong to claim that budget Multi-Core CPU's struggle with DayZ.

Edited by Beizs

I have a FX-6300, i don't think it's bottlenecking :(

Not to be the bearer of bad news but when it comes to DayZ ( standalone or Mod).. Then AMD is not our friend.

I can't begin to explain how much this game is CPU reliant and how little the GPU specs affect it.

Don't get me wrong some people have good frames with AMD but they are typically outshone by intel.

I used to use a AMD FX8320 8core black edition at 3.5ghz.

You would think this would be good for Arma but I was averaging about 40 FPS in the open world and about 20fps in cities.

I built a new system backed by a intel I 74790k at 4ghz and the FPS jump was phenomenal. I average about 90 to 100 FPS in the open world now and about 40 to 50 FPS in large cities.

I also built a system for a friend who was getting Ito PC gaming and we got him a intel G3258 and over locked it to 4.4ghz. He is getting about the same FPS as I was with the AMD 8230 if not better at times.

There are a couple of factors for this..

First of all GPU means nothing really when it comes to the Arma 2 engine which both versions of dayz were built on. There are so many items to register in any single location that the work load is being done almost purely by the CPU. For this reason if a player is using a Titan or intergrated the difference is minimal. Infact the higher the graphics settings the more the workload is shifted to the GPU and eased of the CPU but this also comes down to your systems configuration. On Nvidia GPUs you get a program called Nvidia control panel. In this you can go to the physix settings and set the processor to Your GPU instead of automatic. I'm not sure what the AMD equivalent to this is.

The game favors Intel over AMD. The Arma engine was designed to work on 4 cores. Having a 6 core or 8 core CPU doesn't help in this scenario. Where as the intel 4th generation chips have 4 cores and using a technology called hyperthreading are able to form 8 threads from these 4 cores so it makes the game better optimised for intel. ( regardless of this information ARMA engine is still one of the most poorly optimised no matter what specs you have).

Aside from the CPU powering your system another factor to take into account is that each server has a database. In that data base is a record of all the objects on the server. Many servers have excessive amounts of items due to persistence and the more items the less your FPS. So you need to take this into account also.

There are some eligible guides to improving FPS. You won't see massive improvements but they will help. This is the guide I used back when I was hunting for better FPS http://www.dayzpvp.com/ultimate-dayz-graphics-settings-and-tweaks-guide/

• Like 2

Download HQ MONITOR by CPU ID. Launch it then play DayZ. If you see your CPU or GPU usage get up to or close to 100% you found your bottle neck. I have an i5 4400 and GTX 760 and found that my GPU was struggling. I did an overclock and did see some improvement. I still get around 17-25 fps in major cities, but almost everyone does.

i have an overclocked 4gb 970 at 1380mhz , with 16gb 2133mz ram and i5 4670k 3.4ghz, SSD with OS and still get awful frames.... 20 to 30 fps in the larger towns... Sometimes 60 if i look at the sky. The game still runs worse than Arma 2 and Arma 3..... How they made the Arma engine run even worse i dont know

The Arma engine was designed to work on 4 cores.

i dont think any of the arma engines work on 4 cores. They don't work the way their supposed to . You have to add launch options and even then they use a small percentage of CPU.

On Nvidia GPUs you get a program called Nvidia control panel. In this you can go to the physix settings and set the processor to Your GPU instead of automatic.

Just so you know, PhysX is NOT the same as physics. Physx is a proprietary physics engine that some developers choose to integrate into their games for use on an Nvidia GPU. If a developer has not chosen to use Physx, then you changing the settings for it will do nothing for their game. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two games that use PhysX: Borderlands 2 and Batman Arkham City. I'm sure there are many more, but DayZ is not one of them. I had to clear this up as it is simply not correct. I hope you don't feel I am being a prick, because that is not my intention.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but when it comes to DayZ ( standalone or Mod).. Then AMD is not our friend.

I can't begin to explain how much this game is CPU reliant and how little the GPU specs affect it.

Don't get me wrong some people have good frames with AMD but they are typically outshone by intel.

I used to use a AMD FX8320 8core black edition at 3.5ghz.

You would think this would be good for Arma but I was averaging about 40 FPS in the open world and about 20fps in cities.

I built a new system backed by a intel I 74790k at 4ghz and the FPS jump was phenomenal. I average about 90 to 100 FPS in the open world now and about 40 to 50 FPS in large cities.

I also built a system for a friend who was getting Ito PC gaming and we got him a intel G3258 and over locked it to 4.4ghz. He is getting about the same FPS as I was with the AMD 8230 if not better at times.

There are a couple of factors for this..

First of all GPU means nothing really when it comes to the Arma 2 engine which both versions of dayz were built on. There are so many items to register in any single location that the work load is being done almost purely by the CPU. For this reason if a player is using a Titan or intergrated the difference is minimal. Infact the higher the graphics settings the more the workload is shifted to the GPU and eased of the CPU but this also comes down to your systems configuration. On Nvidia GPUs you get a program called Nvidia control panel. In this you can go to the physix settings and set the processor to Your GPU instead of automatic. I'm not sure what the AMD equivalent to this is.

The game favors Intel over AMD. The Arma engine was designed to work on 4 cores. Having a 6 core or 8 core CPU doesn't help in this scenario. Where as the intel 4th generation chips have 4 cores and using a technology called hyperthreading are able to form 8 threads from these 4 cores so it makes the game better optimised for intel. ( regardless of this information ARMA engine is still one of the most poorly optimised no matter what specs you have).

Aside from the CPU powering your system another factor to take into account is that each server has a database. In that data base is a record of all the objects on the server. Many servers have excessive amounts of items due to persistence and the more items the less your FPS. So you need to take this into account also.

There are some eligible guides to improving FPS. You won't see massive improvements but they will help. This is the guide I used back when I was hunting for better FPS http://www.dayzpvp.com/ultimate-dayz-graphics-settings-and-tweaks-guide/

This.

i dont think any of the arma engines work on 4 cores. They don't work the way their supposed to . You have to add launch options and even then they use a small percentage of CPU.

No you misunderstand me. It can utilize up to 4 cores. That is at it's max.

Yes there are launch peramiters you can add in that guide I linked to improve your FPS slightly.

You can also enter the config files and drop your max key frames ahead etc.

Just so you know, PhysX is NOT the same as physics. Physx is a proprietary physics engine that some developers choose to integrate into their games for use on an Nvidia GPU. If a developer has not chosen to use Physx, then you changing the settings for it will do nothing for their game. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two games that use PhysX: Borderlands 2 and Batman Arkham City. I'm sure there are many more, but DayZ is not one of them. I had to clear this up as it is simply not correct. I hope you don't feel I am being a prick, because that is not my intention.

Ah ok. Thank you for clearing that up. I suggested that as I was having a stutter or freeze frame issue during a previous update ( the update was earlier this year when everyone began having BE issues ). Nvidia online chat assistance told me to change it and it fixed the issue. As I understood it was offloading effort from the CPU allowing it to process more efficiently. Thank you or clearing that up.

When I edited my config files it made all the difference in the world. I would start there. I don't know what my fps has been, but my gameplay experience has been quite good since.

I get near perfect fps everywhere, unless I go near a huge bugged loot pile.

NVIDIA experience optimization actually works well. Plus shadowplay is great for streaming and recording game play.

Hey at least you're getting a consistent framerate ;) thats more than most.

In all seriousness, it is a poorly optimized game due to it being under development. Does your system perform well for other games? If so then its probably due to the aforementioned issue, if not then you want to do some testing to see whether you have got any bottlenecks going on etc. Bottlenecks would likely result in large performance drops whilst one piece of hardware is waiting for the other, rather than a consistently low fps. I'm not sure, use some hardware monitoring software and do some science.

i have an overclocked 4gb 970 at 1380mhz , with 16gb 2133mz ram and i5 4670k 3.4ghz, SSD with OS and still get awful frames.... 20 to 30 fps in the larger towns... Sometimes 60 if i look at the sky. The game still runs worse than Arma 2 and Arma 3..... How they made the Arma engine run even worse i dont know

Pretty much my experiences, my 970 runs at 1505mhz & a smidge under 7800mhz mem, 4690k overclocked to 4.5 & an 840evo with OS & a couple of games.

Until they fully impliment the new renderer we have to deal with it. Its unfortunate but thats how it is at the minute.