SMoss

Status Report - 14 May 15

A game, named DayZ, with basics of "zombie survival", without zombies?

I'll keep to the experimental, as long as there are zeds, without them, i'm not playing.

same here..

It's like playing a WAR game like BF or COD without weapons ... 

Edited by cedrico85

Zombie removal is temporary and I look forward to see how the game changes when stable brings this temporary removal to a wider audience. It's not a huge loss for me personally as the zombies are for me a pretty minor draw of the game compared to the overall environment of Chernarus + increasingly developed survival elements + the crazy ways player interaction can go from friendly and awesome to complete douchebaggery (killing for no other reason than to kill, that's not interesting or fun and sometimes seems disturbingly sociopathic) or even bizarre and amusing (like trails of apples leading to landmines....).

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

Zombie removal is temporary and I look forward to see how the game changes when stable brings this temporary removal to a wider audience. It's not a huge loss for me personally as the zombies are for me a pretty minor draw of the game compared to the overall environment of Chernarus + increasingly developed survival elements + the crazy ways player interaction can go from friendly and awesome to complete douchebaggery (killing for no other reason than to kill, that's not interesting or fun and sometimes seems disturbingly sociopathic) or even bizarre and amusing (like trails of apples leading to landmines....).

For me, this is really going to be a test to see if they really can squeeze out more performance b/c right now as we all know its pretty bad. I'm really going to be paying attention to these performance increases with my 50 POP server. Performance sometimes as it is now with 50 players is just a joke. I just simply have to log out and walk away from playing or find a lower pop server, but would rather play on my own server so its frustrating at times. 

If removing Zombies helps clear the way to better performance and overall better zed's in the long haul; SO BE IT. 

• Like 1

With the uptick of Zombies spawning in Electro, I wanted to prove a point. I spent some time hording up as many zombies I could onto the main street of electro. My theory was that a massive amount of zombies would either A.) Bring the server down or B.) cause server wide performance issues.

I am not 100% sure one what happened but once I horded up past 15 zombies, I noticed huge desync/lag issues with players around me. 15+ zombies were running one direction, maybe moving 1-2 inches per second.

I recall back in the DayZ mod days, zombie count effected the servers performance globally. With the debug menu, you could see the zombie count. One patch they increased the count dramatically and it caused huge desync issues. In the mod, I remember they decreased that number to gain back better performance. I don't know the technicality behind this, but I would assume server side performance takes a hit with to many AI running around, assuming that server to client - client to server transactions effect the desync/latency. I assume taking Zombies out temporarily (in stable) means they're finally addressing server side performance issues with AI. I'll be happy to jump on experimental when it's time to benchmark.

Edited by wykydtronik
  • Like 2

On the player side, we've made strong gains performance wise. We're seeing a gain of 4x higher performance per average player count, and this is instantly visible in gameplay. 

If I understand this statement correctly, this means that we should have 4 times higher performance on .56 exp than we had on .55 stable?

I don't find that to be anywhere even close to a true statement.  Performance is still the same, no change at all on the client side.

If I understand this statement correctly, this means that we should have 4 times higher performance on .56 exp than we had on .55 stable?

I don't find that to be anywhere even close to a true statement.  Performance is still the same, no change at all on the client side.

It's server side...

It's server side...

Well then that isn't a correct statement either.  Cause the desync is still just as bad as it ever was.

Well then that isn't a correct statement either.  Cause the desync is still just as bad as it ever was.

You refer to which build version of DayZ SA ?

This all sounds like it's heading in the correct direction. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Sandmanan

Yeah but i'm playing DayZ because off Zombie's ... No Zombie No DayZ for me ..

I'm not playing PVP¨i'm a survivor .. so what we gonna do without zombie's ? PVP ? hu.... turning around ? just kill somme pet's with no risk you killed by a zombie ...

No thx if you will remove Zombie for a month i will remove my self for a month to :P

Cya

Bye, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. :thumbsup:

You refer to which build version of DayZ SA ?

As stated in an earlier post,  1st iteration of .56 Exp.

It's not server side - it is player side. However, it is not the experimental branch. They're working on .57 already (that'll release to stable next week, skipping .56 on stable). We only have up to .56 in experimental. The performance improvements have been achieved in .57. That doesn't mean we'll even see them in .57. They might have to change stuff to get things to run stably. But yeah, the performance increases are on internal tests, not on experimental.

Edited by Beizs

Why are you testing performance of client/server side now ? Surly you would ad the new renderer then test performance.

No status report for this week ?

This came out this day last week, but four hours later. Have some patience. :P

No status report for this week ?

Patience Edited by Chuuckles

Patience

This game requires a lot of it ;)

I'd also love either a status report or a short note on why there isn't one this week.

This game requires a lot of it ;)

I'd also love either a status report or a short note on why there isn't one this week.

We're lucky they give us a status report more than once a month, and they are obviously pretty busy working on a lot of things for the big .56/.57 push to stable. Patience is rewarded.

Edited by tux

We're lucky they give us a status report more than once a month, and they are obviously pretty busy working on a lot of things for the big .56/.57 push to stable. Patience is rewarded.

Hopefully so. A quick "we're busy and plan to bring .57 to stable next week and have one or two surprises in store" would be totally sufficient as a status report, though, as far as I', concerned. No need to make it rocket science, but I think some sort of "we're still here" just comes across very good :)

Hopefully so. A quick "we're busy and plan to bring .57 to stable next week and have one or two surprises in store" would be totally sufficient as a status report, though, as far as I', concerned. No need to make it rocket science, but I think some sort of "we're still here" just comes across very good :)

Play the experimental and follow twitter accounts. That's basically the most up-to-date information you can get for an alpha.

eeerrr... it's not about what information I can get?  have I said I'd live behind the moon?

I said it would be nice if there was a quick "hello report" in any fashion, but thanks for answering the question never asked :D

eeerrr... it's not about what information I can get?  have I said I'd live behind the moon?

I said it would be nice if there was a quick "hello report" in any fashion, but thanks for answering the question never asked :D

There will be a report. Just don't expect it at the exact same time every week. And, like Tux said, follow them on Twitter. You'd know these things if you did.

I have no Twitter account, therefore I obviously don't, so the above is news to me, appreciated.

And yes, I probably knew, if I did. But since I don't I say thanks for info and have a good evening!

I have no Twitter account, therefore I obviously don't, so the above is news to me, appreciated.

And yes, I probably knew, if I did. But since I don't I say thanks for info and have a good evening!

Fair enough. I use twitter pretty much exclusively to check on DayZ. :P

• Like 2