Drewbles

DayZ: Paranoia and Altruism. A digital ethnography

As part of an anthropological study, myself and two other researchers have studied social structures in DayZ. What we found was too numerous and detailed to fit into our short film, but one prominent feature is the degree to which DayZ encompasses both extreme individualism and egalitarianism within groups.

Feel free to share your thoughts. I wanted to make it a lot longer but we had length guidelines. Keep in mind that none of us have made a film before. :D

I played DayZ before we started this project and only enjoyed it more after studying it anthropologically. You can find me in-game as 'Drew' or 'Drew the anthropologist' on US434.

Edited by Drewbles
  • Like 5

Very nice. I don't play the mod, but it is was still interesting to watch. I would look forward to more videos of this nature that really break down the social aspects of the game and analyze player behaviors.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

Thank you for the feedback and the compliments!

I actually haven't played the SA much in a long while, and I'm curious as to how different player interaction is without the humanity/bandit system.

I'm curious as to how different player interaction is without the humanity/bandit system.

That would be more interesting to study in my opinion. It always seems to me that when people are quantified with statistics that they themselves are able to see versus total "freedom". Not sure freedom is the right word, but I think you know what I mean.

Yes a big yes.  Time and time again as you play it's almost always becomes them vs us.  My bandit is my hero because he/she is a valued/respected fighter.  To my enemies that bandit is the scum of the earth.  No global morality is in play here.  What is good and evil is determined by how the action impacts their group or enemies.

• Like 1