alferret

Massivly unplayable

The game's enjoying it's lowest population point since it's been released so you're not alone.  Wait for the next patch, hopefully it gets better again.

The game's enjoying it's lowest population point since it's been released so you're not alone.  Wait for the next patch, hopefully it gets better again.

It's just a simple culling of the herd, nothing more.

Why are you in denial? The game is FUBAR

Btw. Apples are useless

Apples provide quite a lot of moisture and enough energy to keep you alive (if you aren't running all over creation). I wouldn't want to live on them exclusively, although it is entirely possible, but they are a great food of last resort, in the event that things don't go your way. I lived on apples exclusively for my first several hours in 0.56 Exp. They enabled me to get far enough inland that I could secure all of the food, weapons and gear that I needed. Tedious, yes, but useless ... I would have to disagree.

If you don't have the patience to wait until the CLE is fully implemented and tuned, or if you truly believe that the game is FUBAR, then you definitely need to take a break and check back in, in a few months.

Many things in life are decidedly not fun, but frequently they provide a sense of satisfaction for a job well done.

The very premise of this game (surviving an apocalypse) has nothing, whatsoever to do with fun. Therefore, I fundamentally disagree that every aspect of the game must be fun, otherwise it is somehow a failure.

A lot of people are picking on apples (no pun intended) because that mechanic is tedious. They then attempt to condemn the entire game by association. As has already been pointed out, there are many different ways to survive and in a survival game, none of them should be trivial. Eating apples is completely optional and it is not a requirement. There are many different ways to secure nourishment and each should have its own risks and benefits. The benefits of apples are obvious, but what are the risks? They can't shoot shoot you, they can't attack and eat you, they can't trick you into thinking they are your friend, only to kill you in your sleep. No, the risk is that in order to collect apples, you must expose yourself and allow yourself to become extremely vulnerable, usually in a relatively urban, or suburban area (in other words, there will likely be zeds and other players nearby), for a significant amount of time. It is a very risky tactic to stand, or sit still in the open for any significant length of time. It is worse still, if you are not able to have a weapon in your hands, while doing it. When I pick apples, I do not feel bored. What I do feel is paranoia and the more apples I pick, the more paranoid I become. If I can fill a pack with apples and that provides the fuel that I need to reach the next town, I first feel an immediate sense of relief, followed by the satisfaction of completing the task without getting my head blown off.

TL/DR - It is necessary to engage in very risky behavior, in order to pick apples, so I only collect them as a last resort. I'd rather melee with a zed than sit exposed under an apple tree, for any significant length of time.

Edited by BleedoutBill

Check on top of of things(cabinets,dressers,etc.), and under things(the ones that have a lip,etc); especially wrecked vehicles.Also check the outbuildings that are constructed of boards going different directions w/ holes and then well see who is on some BS buddy. I cant help you don't adapt or know how to survive(I can see who would exactly die of in this type of situation).I've Been playing on south central 3 0-1 or whatever its called Have had no problems(besides servers crashing and other mentioned issues).Yeah the loot isn't spawning correctly(in no matter at all),but its there open your eyes and quit being ignorant. You can always grow food if you have no luck scavenging as well.

Actually I think it was a bug I was seeing.  Also noticed zombies were only in one experimental server last night.  Didn't see any animals to hunt.  Tried going fishing but couldn't get all the necessary items.

I must make a correction to my previous post, I said I have only played under 200 hours, I've actually played 217.

Either way, significantly less than the OP, yet not facing the same issues.

The trend that I am noticing, is these threads are generally started by players who firstly talk about how experienced they are by stating hours of play, and then talk about the game being crap or unplayable 'now'.

And it's finally clicked!

Aside from the standard arguing about 'it's a survival game' and 'alpha' comments that these threads hold, the authors seem to lack adaptability.

I have to admit, my play style changed SIGNIFICANTLY when .55 rolled out and will adapt further with .56

I went from a player who sprinted along the coast or into a town looking for a supermarket or police station, then checking houses for clothing and food to a player who immediately started looking for rocks, and running not sprinting.

So far the course of action that hasn't failed me is crafting a knife, finding ANY melee weapon or even crafting a 'sharp stick' and then finding animals on my path inland.

One cow provides enough to make several water pouches, feel and hydrate me and set me up to go hunting for gear.

While the game isn't final, I believe that the 'struggle' being experienced it reflective of the end vision for the game.

As with reality and all other aspects of life, when things change you can either adapt or fail..... and post threads about it.

All aspects of the DayZ experience need to contribute to the overall experience. Before .55 the game was basically a PvP shooter that allowed some people to have a 'survival' play style, but it was more a choice of game style. Now you can still play PvP is you want, but there is a journey you need to take before you are able to do so.

It's now became a whole game, rather than two separate games that happen to be in the same environment. A step in the right direction.

The same will happen once base building is introduced, at first it will be something people want to do, but it's not critical to the game. After a while it will become more and more critical otherwise you will freeze, starve or get robbed and have to start again in a environment where loot and food is even less plentiful.

For a really long time, we've effectively been testing the 'shoot stuff and people' feature of the game. And there was a loot of testing on this as it's rather complex. Now we've arrived at a point where the shooting people part has been THOROUGHLY tested and we are needed to test the 'survival' feature of the game.

We're part of the early release not to play how we want, but to test the functionality the dev team's need us to test. If everyone is running around gearing up in 10min and then shooting each other, dying, gearing in 10min and repeating, the survival aspects and crafting aspects of the game are not being tested by the early access group making the point of early access redundant.

Not everything is about how YOU want to play the game at the moment.

You have so much insight I think you must be a dev or talking out of another hole.

Calling B.S. on that one.  I've played about 20 hours of experimental and the food situation is dire.  In that time I think I found a can of tactical bacon, 4 sodas, no animals, and 3 powdered milks.  This was all on the west side of the map, ranging from NWAF to Prison Island, and everything in between.  The guys I play with report the same findings.  Apples seem to be the only way to guarantee finding something to eat.

The food situation is not dire, it's absolutely spot on. The chance of picking an apple has been increased by an estimated 30 - 40% which tied be over while I made my way from Kamy towards Stary. Once I got to Stary I began checking the CLE hotstpots which I believe are all cars, outhouses and deer stands as well as checking all the houses top to bottom. In the end I ended up with far too much food to carry but lost it all when I directly swapping my backpack for a new one because it disappeared into the ground.

Unfair?

You are definitely playing the wrong game, friend. DayZ isn't meant to be fair. 

It's not meant to be buggy and broken either. But it is.

• Like 1

It's not meant to be buggy and broken either. But it is.

Actually it is meant to be buggy and broken. Do a little looking into what an alpha is. It might help.  :)

• Like 2

Actually it is meant to be buggy and broken. Do a little looking into what an alpha is. It might help.  :)

And it's been in Alpha for 1.5 years. You would expect atleast some improvement in the important areas in that time. Right now, the game is not even close to the MOD!

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 1

And it's been in Alpha for 1.5 years. You would expect atleast some improvement in the important areas in that time. Right now, the game is not even close to the MOD!

Have you pretty much made up your mind here? There are a lot of good reasons why things are the way they are right now, but, frankly, I don't have the energy to argue with another person who isn't willing to listen. So if you don't want to hear it, I won't say it and waste our time.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

Actually I think it was a bug I was seeing.  Also noticed zombies were only in one experimental server last night.  Didn't see any animals to hunt.  Tried going fishing but couldn't get all the necessary items.

Zombies havent been spawning at night from what I've noticed.The only animal I've seen is a rabbit it was glitched(It wasn't moving and would let me hit it with my pick axe;It was next to an outbuilding way north.I ended up punching it to death/this worked).After his demise i realized i didn't have a knife to prepare my kill.

Junos talks about seeing a lot of condescension in this thread and then condescends himself.

You think the 3rd person view is combat breaking? This is a survival game, not Call of Duty. Second, I find that the 3rd person view is important when you're new to the game. It still is for me because I don't know the map as well as others. Plus, that's just your point of view. Let people play the game as they see fit. Life goes on.

Have you pretty much made up your mind here? There are a lot of good reasons why things are the way they are right now, but, frankly, I don't have the energy to argue with another person who isn't willing to listen. So if you don't want to hear it, I won't say it and waste our time.

I'm not saying it won't improve, but it is broken at the moment. But of course, you alpha fanboys would never admit anything is broken...

• Like 2

I'm not saying it won't improve, but it is broken at the moment. But of course, you alpha fanboys would never admit anything is broken...

Of course they can't.  They're too busy being apologists and white knights.  They don't even recognize the fact that DayZ being an "alpha" is more of a business strategy to avoid accountability than anything else.  Early Access Alpha is just the new version of f2p, all profit, zero obligation towards customers.

• Like 2

"It's not fair!" You guy sound like my wife's welfare bum ex husband complaining about how we work our assess of and go on three week vacations and he doesn't get a break from smoking dope and playing ps4 handed to him.

If the game is too much work just give up, it's the cool thing to do these days.

Um. I actually already admitted that it was broken. Where we disagree is on whether or not the game should be this way during this stage of development.

Hello there

Im very close to closing this thread.

Too many insults and too much nonsense.

Nobody is denying aspects are buggy. If they do then they are deluded.

Alpha. Doent matter how long it's been be it 1.5 years or 10. It's Alpha 'till we say otherwise.

regardless, this thread's about food. Get back on track.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Of course they can't.  They're too busy being apologists and white knights.  They don't even recognize the fact that DayZ being an "alpha" is more of a business strategy to avoid accountability than anything else.  Early Access Alpha is just the new version of f2p, all profit, zero obligation towards customers.

Your username is so beyond appropriate that it deserves an award.

"Who is Kyle?"

"Oh, that guy? I dunno, he just says things."

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

Hello there

Im very close to closing this thread.

Too many insults and too much nonsense.

Nobody is denying aspects are buggy. If they do then they are deluded.

Alpha. Doent matter how long it's been be it 1.5 years or 10. It's Alpha 'till we say otherwise.

regardless, this thread's about food. Get back on track.

Rgds

LoK

This thread was never on track and full of lies and misinformation from the get go.

• Like 1