alferret

Massivly unplayable

Well, not brocken, let's say a little bit boring.

Yes, the game has to be difficult, hardcore as some say, and must be fun.

Pick apple from a tree is not hardcore neither is difficult, it's just boring.

Also the process to hunt, farm and then eat should be fun.

How can it be fun? It should be a challenge. If there are zombies everywhere farming wouldn't be so easy, you would need a weapon first to kill the infected, and difend yourself also from other players, then you could farm, or hunt, and do everything you need to survive.

What i'm trying to say is that farming shouldn't be difficult, but the process to create the condition to farm should be difficult.

I'd like a zombie apocalyose simulator, i'd like to kill a lot of zeds trying to move from a safe place to another, i'd like to team up with people because none of us have enought ammo to defeat the zombies that surround the house, or fight him to stole his ammo.

That is what i like and what i'm waiting for.

Now the game can be fun, but to me is kind of boring a lot of times.

Hope for the best, prepared for the worst ;)

Edited by SNOWPOWDERITA

What is the lesson you would have them learn?

The point is the current way of doing things doesn't really help anyone. The way people are playing experimental is not how Dayz is usually played. I doubt usually you'd have the high concentration of people in short time (to check it out) and you wouldn't have completely full servers at all times, either. So whatever stress testing is doing to servers and the game, it is a situation that will unlikely repeat in the final release of the game; nobody will just jump in for half an hour to check the loot, consume some drink/food and leave again. Nobody will queue up to play on a server, because there will be lots of servers. All the current traffic is due to the experimental release and our curiosity.

I don't think there is a "lesson" at all, and I have problem finding out what your reply refers to. I am also not suggesting to change player stats permanently, but as long as the spawns are broken and the traffic in the game is so high, it would seem plausible to me to give the player some leeway about his health and energy. As soon as all the systems work more or less as planned you can go back to spawning us starving and thirsty.

Currently the mechanic means that we either have to respawn, until we get into an area (north) where we still have a chance to survive, or we need to pick apples or find berries, which is horribly laggy at the moment. There still aren't the systems in place to maintain our health by living off the land. Sure, if you are lucky you can grow crops before a random server restart. But a) that is not fun, c ) it only works for the first guy, who found the seeds and tool c) it's bugs that keep us from using mechanics like picking fruit or fileting fish. Not gameplay mechanics, but bugs!   

P.S.: This refers to EU players mostly.  

Edited by S3V3N

What is the lesson you would have them learn?

I'll paraphrase,

"We tested how to starve on experimental.  It works!  Didn't really get to try anything else."

Currently the mechanic means that we either have to respawn, until we get into an area (north) where we still have a chance to survive, or we need to pick apples or find berries, which is horribly laggy at the moment. There still aren't the systems in place to maintain our health by living off the land. Sure, if you are lucky you can grow crops before a random server restart. But a) that is not fun, c ) it only works for the first guy, who found the seeds and tool c) it's bugs that keep us from using mechanics like picking fruit or fileting fish. Not gameplay mechanics, but bugs!   

So it's true that the first 0.56 experimental made this much more difficult/tedious due to instability but experimental is not meant to be particularly stable. I'd expect that by the time 0.56 hits stable the frequent restarts and action delay (except on very high pop servers perhaps) will not be confounding factors. In other words experimental branch should never be used for justifying a statement like "the game is unplayable". The same is true to a lesser extent for most pre-release builds but at least the stable builds are meant to be "playable" to the most extent possible at any given time.

I'd also argue that in the first 0.56 experimental it was perfectly possible to live off the land, as I did it, but I realize not everyone is as patient, finds the challenge fun or finds gardening as fun as I do and that I play under stricter self-imposed limits than most.

Edited by Ebrim

The point is the current way of doing things doesn't really help anyone. The way people are playing experimental is not how Dayz is usually played. I doubt usually you'd have the high concentration of people in short time (to check it out) and you wouldn't have completely full servers at all times, either. So whatever stress testing is doing to servers and the game, it is a situation that will unlikely repeat in the final release of the game; nobody will just jump in for half an hour to check the loot, consume some drink/food and leave again. Nobody will queue up to play on a server, because there will be lots of servers. All the current traffic is due to the experimental release and our curiosity.

I don't think there is a "lesson" at all, and I have problem finding out what your reply refers to. I am also not suggesting to change player stats permanently, but as long as the spawns are broken and the traffic in the game is so high, it would seem plausible to me to give the player some leeway about his health and energy. As soon as all the systems work more or less as planned you can go back to spawning us starving and thirsty.

what you find fun and what others finds fun is different i like surviving off the land i like the farming mechanics i like the hunting and the animals i love that this game is getting brutal yes the games has bugs and you are playing EXPERIMENTAL maybe wait for stable. in stable i have never starved to death ever not even when folks were saying there's no loot or food i'm no badass at all either i die more to asshat murderers then actual starvation or the elements. and i never suicide unless i'm at end game or its a new patch. suicide to get north ugh i thought i would enjoy the tears of the weak but its just sad. goodluck maybe your corpse will feed other survivors on there adventures Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

Yay another post (posts) bitching about bugs they should EXPECT at this point in development.  All I have seen from couple people in this post is them bitching (on numerous other posts) about obvious problems that should be expected at this time, and will be handled in due time.  If you are unhappy with the current status/rate of progression then QUIT and come back later. (sorry baker :P)

I'll paraphrase,

"We tested how to starve on experimental.  It works!  Didn't really get to try anything else."

I have yet to starve on experimental i found so much food I've had to drop some for other supplies...

Since the last update im finding the game virtually unplayable due to the very low food/energy starting point. Unless you stumble upon a lucky room or your running with a few mates its dire. I have just played 2 hours and survived on half a tin of peaches, 2 bananna's, 3 apples & a tin of tuna. Cant see shit cause im on the virge of dieing, food is that scarce that spending time trying to kit up & find sustanence while at that point is pointless. I have over 400 hours invested in this game & IMO its just getting worse!

All I can say to this is, you're doing it wrong. I've spent a lot of my time on the coast in this build, and the build before that, and before that. I have over 1,300 hours

logged and never struggled to find food.

You stated that "... the devs don't learn a thing". I was curious as to hear what you thought the devs had to learn.

I'll leave you with the following though (source: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224046-status-report-14-apr-15):

"Much like the warnings placed on the DayZ Store Page, and the DayZ Launch Screen, as well as the stickies on the DayZ Steam Forums - The Early Access program provides you with development builds of the project, not access to a feature, or functionally complete game. As this year progresses, more and more parts of the Enfusion engine and its accompanying technology will be merged into the main branch. This means things will break, sometimes things will break -hard-. We utilize the experimental branch to flesh out any catastrophically game breaking issues (think client crashes, server freezes, high repro progression loss, and so on) and at the end of the month the most stable development build gets pushed to Steam for all of you to poke, experiment, and have fun with. Testing is done in three tiers, each tier scaling up in load and volume. Internal, Experimental, Main (Stable) - and make no mistake. All three branches are for testing."

This means that once an Experimental build is deemed suitable for Stable branch release, it is not to be considered bug free in any way.

As for your concerns on living off the land, you contradict yourself. The systems are in place regardless of server restarts/crashes preventing you from utilizing the systems. These crashes will more or less be eliminated before releasing the Experimental version on Stable branch. Once this happens, Stable branch builds can be used for the testing of bugs that are not considered game breaking since the Stable branch servers are not being hammered as hard as the Experimental branch servers, as you mention yourself. The thing is, we can't take the chance of not stress testing builds as well since we can't look into the future and predict that there will not be community servers with huge amounts of traffic.

As for your other concerns:

"But a) that is not fun, (some players take very positively to the struggle of surviving while others don't) c ) it only works for the first guy, who found the seeds and tool (this would be the case no matter your hunger/thirst status as a fresh spawn, and the player finding the seeds + tool would most likely enjoy the achievement considering the challenge of finding these items while starving) c) it's bugs that keep us from using mechanics like picking fruit or fileting fish. Not gameplay mechanics, but bugs! (bugs such as these are filed internally and scheduled for fixes on the basis of the nice players that take the time to file them. For this we are immensely grateful of course! In the meantime, I would not consider DayZ unplayable in spite of the mentioned features not functioning)"

For these concerns, I'll have to say that it seems like the designers are catering to the players that enjoy and are looking for a challenge in surviving in DayZ, and you should not expect that the hunger/thirst status of fresh spawns would be changed on the basis of the immense challenge faced as a fresh spawn on Experimental branch (source: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224323-status-report-22-apr-15):

"Obviously, as DayZ is an open world sandbox title, nearly anything is technically possible (in regards to play styles). As the initial deployment of the new infected A.I., as well as the central economy ramped up the difficulty within Chernarus, there were people vocalizing how they disliked how difficult DayZ was becoming. Now, obviously I've spoken on this before - but I feel the need to reiterate, and clarify a few things.

Surviving in Chernarus is intended to be difficult. I want you to value each bullet, I want discovering a roaming boar in the forest to be a stroke of good luck. However, this does not mean the play styles of "Coastal Chaos" or "Squad play" and so on are not viable playstyles."

At this stage, yes, we are at a completely different stage of difficult. However, as mentioned, all three branches mentioned above are for testing, and it will be possible to test all things concerned in either three of those branches.

• Like 7

Is 0.56 already live?? Has there been a wipe??

0.56 was released on Experimental branch last friday (May 5). The announced wipe will not be executed until 0.56 releases on Stable branch.

• Like 2

I don't get this discussion on "difficulty". The game isn't difficult at the moment, it's broken. The simple fact is - there is no loot. You can't forage or go fishing if you can't find the items to do that! Now combine that with broken zombies and server lagg and you get an unplayable game! Hopefully the next patch will fix the loot and zombies.

Edited by TSAndrey

Since the last update im finding the game virtually unplayable due to the very low food/energy starting point. Unless you stumble upon a lucky room or your running with a few mates its dire. I have just played 2 hours and survived on half a tin of peaches, 2 bananna's, 3 apples & a tin of tuna. Cant see shit cause im on the virge of dieing, food is that scarce that spending time trying to kit up & find sustanence while at that point is pointless. I have over 400 hours invested in this game & IMO its just getting worse!

Wow a lot of people responded to this one. I would say the problem here is the server you were on. I have been a bambi on several servers and ran all over trying to survive and came across the same difficulties. Everywhere was picked clean. All I had was a stone knife and a water pump. I ran from water pump to water pump, but there was no food except for apples and berries and that is just too boring, but will do in a crunch. Town after town no matter where I went was looted clean like someone vacuumed everything. 

I just left that server and went onto a different one and then got my shopping cart and started filling it up with goodies. Try a server switch and watch out for the zombies when your a bambi. :-D Luck!

I don't get this discussion on "difficulty". The game isn't difficult at the moment, it's broken. The simple fact is - there is no loot. You can't forage or go fishing if you can't find the items to do that! Now combine that with broken zombies and server lagg and you get an unplayable game! Hopefully the next patch will fix the loot and zombies.

How do you reconcile this position with the number of people who do progress successfully? If it was as you describe it, nobody should be able to survive the coast and move on.

If you're refering to Experimental branch servers, then there's a good chance that servers have been picked clean due to massive amounts of players going through those bad boys.

The guys pull a lot of data from those servers to see what the status quo is on performance, crashes as well as the loot spawning for example, and if there is truly a case of "no loot" at all globally, then the guys will of course address this before pushing 0.56 onto Stable branch.

• Like 1

Man, lot of condescention and elitism here.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't start playing DayZ mod years ago because I wanted to farm imaginary food and pick imaginary apples.

...and in the DayZ Mod you don't have to farm imaginary food. You are welcome to return to it. This, however, is DayZ SA and many of us are playing for the reasons you just stated you don't play for. 

• Like 5

If you're refering to Experimental branch servers, then there's a good chance that servers have been picked clean due to massive amounts of players going through those bad boys.

The guys pull a lot of data from those servers to see what the status quo is on performance, crashes as well as the loot spawning for example, and if there is truly a case of "no loot" at all globally, then the guys will of course address this before pushing 0.56 onto Stable branch.

I'm not talking about the exp branch. I'm talking about the broken stable branch 0.55 update brought upon us.

How do you reconcile this position with the number of people who do progress successfully? If it was as you describe it, nobody should be able to survive the coast and move on.

Luck? Some servers have loot, most don't. That's not how it should work.

Edited by TSAndrey

Started at least six times in both versions of .55 and not starved once. Neither have my kids as young as nine years old. Get off the coast and l2p.

I'm not talking about the exp branch. I'm talking about the broken stable branch 0.55 update brought upon us.

Luck? Some servers have loot, most don't. That's not how it should work.

I think you're being overly harsh in your verdict here. I'd say it's more like "most servers have loot, some don't". The amount of reports on servers without loot, and especially reports on servers without loot where this indeed turned out to be the case, has not really been that high.

Had it been the other way around where it would be trending towards a global issue across Stable branch, the guys would most definitely have taken action like they did when the central loot economy was pulled and temporarily replaced with the old placeholder loot spawning system.

I realise that bugs do happen and servers can be misconfigured, and in the case where there is no global issue on the loot spawns, you can always shoot across a ticket on the Feedback Tracker for example and we'll have a look at the server in focus: http://feedback.dayzgame.com

• Like 1

I think you're being overly harsh in your verdict here. I'd say it's more like "most servers have loot, some don't". The amount of reports on servers without loot, and especially reports on servers without loot where this indeed turned out to be the case, has not really been that high.

Had it been the other way around where it would be trending towards a global issue across Stable branch, the guys would most definitely have taken action like they did when the central loot economy was pulled and temporarily replaced with the old placeholder loot spawning system.

I realise that bugs do happen and servers can be misconfigured, and in the case where there is no global issue on the loot spawns, you can always shoot across a ticket on the Feedback Tracker for example and we'll have a look at the server in focus: http://feedback.dayzgame.com

Even if they have loot, it's mostly clothes and very rarely anything useful.  But for the most part, there are just empty houses. My point is, people shouldn't diss other people when they complain about the loot, because it's clearly broken. Hopefully 0.56 will fix it!

Even if they have loot, it's mostly clothes and very rarely anything useful.  But for the most part, there are just empty houses. My point is, people shouldn't diss other people when they complain about the loot, because it's clearly broken. Hopefully 0.56 will fix it!

It's not clearly broken. I had guns, ammo, waterproof bags and clothes, food, everything I needed to stay alive. I did find many areas that were completely dry except for useless clutter, but that's to be expected on populated servers.

If you would have spent 15 minutes picking apples you would have been fully hydrated and energized to travel. Classic case of operator error here.   :)

If I can ask, why do you have your computer specs in your sig? I don't understand...thanks!

is this what the dayz community has come to

"just pick apples thats how you play the game"

the fuck kind game is this now

pick apples for 15 minutes im glad i uninstalled this game

• Like 1

You know whats works to avoid getting annoyed by Dayz alpha broken gameplay?

Not playing!

Worked for me!

Now I come to the forums every now and then and laugh at how people still loose their mind over Dayz, same as I once did.

There are other games, until this one is finished. Go relax:)

• Like 1

Day Z was, is, and will be, a survival game.

"picking apples/berries" is something you do in actual survival.

Sorry if you were misinformed as to what "survival" actually entails, but nobody forced you to buy this game.