Sign in to follow this  
Senodog

DayZ 2012 VS DayZ 2015 Mod

I never got to experience the thrill of the 2012 version of the mod so from people who did is it better than Dayz is now I would of loved to played it back in the day when the mod was in alpha.  

Well isn't this an opinion based question :P

Oh and I wouldn't say it's better or worse. It was different tho. xD

Edited by Stryker7x

Well isn't this an opinion based question :P

Oh and I wouldn't say it's better or worse. It was different tho. xD

Is there anyway for me to experience to mod like it was back then.

The current version of the mod is better in pretty much every way.

If people say they liked the 2012 version was better it's generally either because they're looking through rose tinted spectacles at the time when everything was new and fresh, or because they liked PVP without any real threat from the environment.

• Like 7

You can download the old versions on steam.

You can download them, sure, but are any servers running anything older than 1.8.4?

• Like 1

Content wise, the current version is much better I'd say. There are a lot less bugs comparing to the "2012" version.

What makes the "2012" version better for some people is just the newness of the whole open world survival based on zombies. The whole experience is a big enhancement comparing to other games when I first started. All my other games gathered dust while I was playing Arma 2 just for the DayZ Mod from 2012 to as of today. All my friends were hyped about it and we all had a blast despite the bugs in the previous versions, it didn't disappoint me at all! This game really throws out a lot of emotion towards you. There are moments where you fear from zombies which forces you to sneak around them, other times worrying whether the survivor is either going to give you a can of beans or a can of whoop ass your way resulting in death on either part of the conflict. Win or loss, you'll still feel the joy or disappointment in the end.

Edited by TIC321

You can download them, sure, but are any servers running anything older than 1.8.4?

No idea op just asked for file's.

post-210399-0-13472500-1431019281_thumb.

................................. The search button is lonely, more lonely than it ever has been  :(  :(  :(  :(

Edited by WilBischof

Preferred the older version to the new. It was much simpler then. Yeah there were bugs, but I didn't spend my time playing "crafting simulator" like it is now. Just ran around, killed zombies, looted stuff.

The current version of the mod is better in pretty much every way.

If people say they liked the 2012 version was better it's generally either because they're looking through rose tinted spectacles at the time when everything was new and fresh, or because they liked PVP without any real threat from the environment.

^ This.  The current mod has so much to offer and is finally an actual zombie survival game.  DayZ 2012 had things like hunting, campfires, water bottles, etc, but they served very little purpose and were more of a novelty addition to the game used for making videos or taking cool screenshots.  Now, it's necessary to hunt, cook, boil, stay warm, rest, etc.  The weapons are much more balanced (no more thermal scopes or .50 cals), the zombies are much better, zombie spawn radius is better, stashes/tents are more involved, base building is a WIP, the list goes on.  I find the mod to be much more enjoyable than it used to be, though it was nice when there were lots of populated public servers and people were new to the game.

Preferred the older version to the new. It was much simpler then. Yeah there were bugs, but I didn't spend my time playing "crafting simulator" like it is now. Just ran around, killed zombies, looted stuff.

Crafting simulator???  You can literally play the game without ever opening the crafting menu.  The only thing keeping you from running around, killing zombies, and looting stuff is the fact that you have to be sure to eat and drink every now and then and if it's cold spend 2 minutes warming up by a fire.

The game is much better now.

Anyone saying otherwise is not looking at the options now, just the nostalgia then.

For instance I just made a M4A1 CCO SD w/Flashlight.   That wasn't possible then.   I like the struggle now, it half reminds me of the days when I had no map and no clue where I was at.  When you used the stars as your guide, you asked your friends which way shadows were casting, when you found your first car(van), when you couldn't pitch a tent in a forest, had to be in an open field.

My group and I have just recently went back to Vanilla.  It felt great not knowing everything again, not having a map/flashlight/pistol upon spawning in.

I am also in the boat that believes Helicopters ruined the maps, and that vehicles should be rare and broken when found.

And let's not mention the hacking that was going on in 2012 compared to now....