Sign in to follow this  
Druringtons

Please can you help me understand a few things

Hello

After watching some youtube video's (particularly FRANKIEonPCin1080p

I have downloaded DayZ from Steam (the one that cost £23) and i'm getting to grips with it.  I have settled in a fairly quiet server whilst I loot an learn the ropes and things seem to be going well. 

I was wondering if someone could firstly help me with Maps, Which map am I playing on with this version of DayZ? 

Are other maps available; I get the impression I have to download Arma/Mod (pardon the noobiness of this question), Is this correct?

What are Arma, Mod, Overpoch etc?

Are they add-ins for the same game are are they completely separate games/Maps/Packs?

Also do I need to find a map to be able to view it during the game itself?

Thanks you in advance.

• Like 1

First off I am assuming you are playing DayZ Mod, as you posted in the Mod section.

I was wondering if someone could firstly help me with Maps, Which map am I playing on with this version of DayZ?

On vanilla DayZ you will be playing Chernarus.

Are other maps available; I get the impression I have to download Arma/Mod (pardon the noobiness of this question), Is this correct?

Other maps are available via download, the key is to find servers hosting the separate maps here is a list of the additional mods and maps.

What are Arma, Mod, Overpoch etc?

Arma is the military simulator in which all mods are based from within this community.  Mod Refers to DayZ Mod vanilla which is downloaded through steam. Overpoch etc are modception concepts based off the original DayZ Mod.

Are they add-ins for the same game are are they completely separate games/Maps/Packs?

They are the same base game, however different maps/mods need to be downloaded separately aswell as applied separately.  I.e. if you download and launch Epoch mod, you would not enter a vanilla dayz server as the files are different and so forth.

Also do I need to find a map to be able to view it during the game itself?

You can or you can simply use DayZ DB which provides majority of available maps.

Lastly, welcome to the forums, feel free to PM with more questions.

Regards,

Steak.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 4

Hi Steak

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

As for playing mod, in not entirely sure and if i have posted this in the wrong section, i apologise (that said I will be exploring many aspects of the game). I dont suppose you know how i can check that please?

Thanks again Steak, the info you supplied has been very helpful and im very sorry for being such a noob.

• Like 2

Hi Steak

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

As for playing mod, in not entirely sure and if i have posted this in the wrong section, i apologise (that said I will be exploring many aspects of the game). I dont suppose you know how i can check that please?

Thanks again Steak, the info you supplied has been very helpful and im very sorry for being such a noob.

No worries, as for your inquiry its quite simple.  Have your purchased the Standalone or have your purchased Arma 2 Combined Operations and downloaded the Mod?  You are in the correct sub forum to ask any questions about the Mod you may currently have.  If you have any questions about the Standalone the new player discussion for it can be found here.  Announcements on Standalone patches are located here.  Upcoming development and open discussion with devs on Standalone is here.  I've posted the Mod's main information in my response above if you are interested. 

Regards,

Steak.

• Like 4

Hi Steak, I have 1 final question if that's ok?

How do I get the environment for Arma 3 Overpoch?

I have followed some of the resource online and I am bombarded with files/mods to download.

Can you advise what I need to do please?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Steak, I have 1 final question if that's ok?

How do I get the environment for Arma 3 Overpoch?

I have followed some of the resource online and I am bombarded with files/mods to download.

Can you advise what I need to do please?

Thanks

By environment I assume you mean the mod itself, easiest way would be to use the CCG launcher located here.  It should auto place the files for you in the A3 directory and if I remember correctly launch you into the provided server of choice.  Any further support if need be is best to aquire via their site as its desgined there.  We don't provide official support for anything other then SA and vanilla mod at this time.

Regards,

Steak.

• Like 2

Such a nice man with all your answers Steaks & Potata.  :thumbsup: :beans:

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2

Shift/Tab

Google

insert ' Day Z map ' into the search bar

click the first non add

Everything you need bro. Just leave that menu open while you're playing and when you need your map just shift tab. It'll be there. I find it best to actually track my progression as I'm moving because you can get lost pretty quick.

Nowadays I don't need it but not to long ago it was a god send.

If you purchased Dayz on Steam, you bought the standalone. The Dayz mod is a mod for Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

If you want to play the A3 Epoch mod, I recommend you download A3Launcher at http://a3launcher.com. Of course you need to own Arma 3 to play that mod.

• Like 1

Isn't Steak a lovely guy?  :thumbsup:  Welcome to the game, Druringtons.  ;)