Sign in to follow this  
tux (DayZ)

Survivor Gamez VI Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Whoever that Lirik guy is, never even heard of him. "I haven't played this game for a month" sorry but why are you attending to the games then?

Never heard of him? There's over 30,000 people watching Lirik right now play Arma III, he's got 111,000 Twitter followers, he's one of the biggest names in gaming. Not inviting him to the Survivor Gamez probably cuts the viewer base in half.

Never heard of him? There's over 30,000 people watching Lirik right now play Arma III, he's got 111,000 Twitter followers, he's one of the biggest names in gaming. Not inviting him to the Survivor Gamez probably cuts the viewer base in half.

The issue I have is when his player base ddos the server and twitch when he dies...

Ruined phase 2 and I was not even able to connect to twitch to watch the end due to website failures on the west coast

• Like 2

The issue I have is when his player base ddos the server and twitch when he dies...

Ruined phase 2 and I was not even able to connect to twitch to watch the end due to website failures on the west coast

Hicks mentioned 2 things to help deal with that (which are needed anyway) - a) switching from 2 to 5 backup servers and b) the custom version they run making it go back to a different screen than the server select so the IP can't be compromised.

I enjoyed SGVI even with the networking issues.  The ending of SGV was better but the heli crash and truck at the end of SGVI made things pretty enjoyable.

Was considering trying to sign up for the SGVII qualifiers.  Just knowing where North is might be a leg up on some of the streamers ;)

• Like 2

Hicks mentioned 2 things to help deal with that (which are needed anyway) - a) switching from 2 to 5 backup servers and b) the custom version they run making it go back to a different screen than the server select so the IP can't be compromised.

I enjoy lirik but if his fan base reacts this way do you really want them in the games? Summits fans did not react the same way

It's not like you can control your fans, it's not like he told his fans to do anything. My point is that the streamers with large fan bases are good for the game and the Survivor Gamez, however, I agree with everyone else it would be nice to see it note *quite* so stacked that way.

Not only that, TheRunningManZ gave a tip to him to NOT use a female char due to their bugged breathing sounds at 1pp

Been using one since forever, don't even notice it anymore  :lol:

It's not like you can control your fans, it's not like he told his fans to do anything. My point is that the streamers with large fan bases are good for the game and the Survivor Gamez, however, I agree with everyone else it would be nice to see it note *quite* so stacked that way.

Please explain in detail why clueless streamers with large fan bases are needed to support an alpha product.  

(they're not needed)

I stopped watching the survivor games because of how mishandled it was.   You want players who know what they're doing.   Not below average gamers.   

In the same vein, I don't want to see famous musicians in a NASCAR race because they have no skill.  Who cares if they're famous.  I want to watch people at the top of their game compete.  Not noobs who ruin the experience.  Real gamers, the real Dayz fanatics, want to watch people play who know at least as much as they do.  Watching a streamer make dumb decisions because it's obvious he has little experience/knowledge of the game is painful.  It's why I turned it off.

Not inviting him to the Survivor Gamez probably cuts the viewer base in half.

Yea. And after watching him in the games, it probably cut the viewer base by two-thirds.

This isn't really a bash on Lirik (honestly never heard of him before this debacle)  moreso.. a plea to get players who the audience can possibly enjoy watching and learn something from.  Get players who naturally promote the game.  Not disinterested and unexperienced 'celebrities'.

The idea of there being people who stream their games and more importantly that there would be large amount of people willing to watch them baffles me.

I'm sure it was the same when someone first started throwing a ball around.  That turned out pretty well.

• Like 1

The idea of there being people who stream their games and more importantly that there would be large amount of people willing to watch them baffles me.

This. Apparently people in our society become so lazy that the rather watch some other boring person do the same shit over and over again, becoming 'celebrities' in the process. Brave new world. :)

For me - those streamers can die in a fire and I wouldn't even notice. I'm rather actually playing the game myself.

As for those survivorgames, why don't these people just play Arma? I simply dont understand it.

• Like 2

He can have 2.5b viewers if he wishes so. Guy's arrogant, simple as that. He doesn't even know the game.

Edited by Yazar8

Even though performance was really messed up this time I felt pretty well entertained.

I just noticed that I enjoy it a lot more not knowing more than the chosen streamer to watch about what is going on, since I noticed watching the commentary or others streamers perspectives at the same time somehow kills the experience for me.

Somehow I seem to always pick one of the final 3 man standing, so I actually never had to decide what to do if my chosen SGZ Streamer dies early.

I surely watch all this afterwards to satisfy curiosity or just because there might have been more than one streamer on the list I actually like to watch but for the time it's live I find it a lot more intense to stick to only one.

All I can say about the commentry is, that I think they did a good job. Sure, they could be quicker switching sometimes and for sure, they might miss something interesting going on, but hey – they are not professional commentators doing that for living...just some guys trying their best on something that might seem to be easy but I'm sure it isn't to be on point whenever things happen.. I'm pretty much satisfied with how it turned out.

Regarding to the handling when bugs kill people or bring them back to new life, I think it's up to the organizers to decide how they want to handle it. They decided to let Anthony keep on playing and as long as they'd decide exactly the same way, if it happens again to someone else in the future, I'm absoluty fine with it.

I was pretty sad hearing that the server ip was accidently revealed and that the server was ddos'd afterwards. Even though I don't know Lirik at all I don't think he revealed the ip on purpose. Accidents happen and at least the organizers noticed that it might be a good idea fo figure out ways to avoid accidents like that in the future.

There's only one thing about the SGZ that actually pretty much depressed me...I was just watching a couple of different perspectives by now and noticed that there were some streamers taking part that actually lack crucial knowledge in terms of gameplay.

Don't get me wrong – I'm totally fine with participants not being the best players on earth and it's totally fine to not know each and every bit about how things work, but if someone is taking part I expect them to at least prepare for the event.

When someone who takes part isn't familiar with the map and even then doesn't feel the need to spend like 5 seconds to check the pre-announced small part of the map the event was to happen at it just feels wrong to me having them participating in an event like this.

I actually would give a shit on how popular they are and give their spot to someone less popular but dedicated.

• Like 1

Maybe there should be two Survivor Games...like they sometimes have celebrity soccer games...let the "celeb" streamers have one Games where they can goof off and entertain and the Professionals (ie qualifiers) have another.

I'd really like to see a Games where you know everyone who is there is there by skill and merit.  I mean DevilDog actually said in his recent video that he hates the game...

• Like 1

who doesent knows his ways arround Zeleno shouldnt be allowed to the "GAMEZ" 

Those people are a pain to watch and a disgrace for the comunity!

• Like 1

Not inviting him to the Survivor Gamez probably cuts the viewer base in half.

So? Whats the point if its to watch someone on a game he normally rarely play with? I think we would all benefit if only seasoned Dayz Streamers were included - If you build it they will come, with higher quality of play more people will come. Unless the ultimate goal is to push Dayz to more people, in which case we will continue to get people like Lirik (which I find boring as hell by the way). 

With that said the games were fun to watch, despite the many server restart. Kudos to Anthony on the Truck manoeuvre! 

• Like 1

Dont care much about streamers or inflated e-Egos. ( but WHY THE FUCK do i have to see the head of a dude playing in a YT Video..wtf is with that...) I laugh , shrug and carry on.

*Altho i belive skilled Players should be in and not some streamer-clown ;)

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Hicks had responded to one of my questions about this , he said there is a way for us regulars to sign up , I'm guessing it's on the survivor games forums but did anyone "regular" (not a popular streamer) make it into this years games ? Or any for that matter ? I would really like this if it operated like this : ten famous streamers chosen , then a "trial casting event" is made for "regular unknowns" to basically duke it out to see which 10 out of the 20 regulars get to move onto the finals an get paired with a famous streamer . So basically there's only ten famous celebs , and ten "regular" dayz players like us , making an amazing team , or a team of disaster depending on the knowledge (and skill) of both the streamer and average dayz player ! Way better than this confused celebrity setup we have now !

Hicks had responded to one of my questions about this , he said there is a way for us regulars to sign up , I'm guessing it's on the survivor games forums but did anyone "regular" (not a popular streamer) make it into this years games ? Or any for that matter ? I would really like this if it operated like this : ten famous streamers chosen , then a "trial casting event" is made for "regular unknowns" to basically duke it out to see which 10 out of the 20 regulars get to move onto the finals an get paired with a famous streamer . So basically there's only ten famous celebs , and ten "regular" dayz players like us , making an amazing team , or a team of disaster depending on the knowledge (and skill) of both the streamer and average dayz player ! Way better than this confused celebrity setup we have now !

I tried yo sign up for their forums and have never had so much trouble verifying my humanity before. I know I'm a border line sociopath but really? Trying to get help without being registered is fucked too.

Besides some obvious issues I really want to see some better tools for commentators and maybe handle the commentary situation better. Tools felt clunky and it's really easy to miss out on some action.. actually when I think about it, we've maybe seen 30% of action and rest was missed. If we already have 2 commentators why isn't there any option that with one click they would be able to swap onto another commentator screen that actually found some action.  I would really like to see them focus on this part as it's really important for us to be able to enjoy. I love the SGZ and I just want them to improve :)

Edited by Miracool

Besides some obvious issues I really want to see some better tools for commentators and maybe handle the commentary situation better. Tools felt clunky and it's really easy to miss out on some action.. actually when I think about it, we've maybe seen 30% of action and rest was missed. If we already have 2 commentators why isn't there any option that with one click they would be able to swap onto another commentator screen that actually found some action. I would really like to see them focus on this part as it's really important for us to be able to enjoy. I love the SGZ and I just want them to improve :)

I was watching both feeds side by side and allot of the time they were actually showing exactly the same thing. It seemed like the second feed was scouting for the first but failed to move on looking for the next bit of action more often than not.

Edited by BCBasher

Seems silly to have publicized games events for an alpha game.

Seems silly to have publicized games events for an alpha game.

Even more so when those 'gamez' have not much to do with what DayZ is about. That gamemode would be much better in Arma.

Even more so when those 'gamez' have not much to do with what DayZ is about. That gamemode would be much better in Arma.

Oh, you mean surviving in the zombie apocalypse, searching frantically for anything to help you survive while trying not to starve to death? Kill or be killed? Looking out for your friend and trying to stay alive together while not trusting anyone? I don't think that has much to do with DayZ either, it sounds like a completely different game.

• Like 1

"Survivor Gamez"  is really, quite misleading.  They should rename it "Survivor (it's not a game, it's a dev buildz)".

I think these gamez events are a good idea.  Good promotion.  I hope they approach the idea in the future, but with some alterations.