Pandachow

Please focus on bugs for a while

First, I love this game, I would even say it's one of my favourite games, but please Bohemia, please focus on bug fixing for the next few updates.

More often than not I die from a bug than a player. Here are my last 7 deaths:

1: Fully geared, in ATC and just died, no gunshot, friend heard no gunshot, nobody up there, all gear was still pristine.

2: VERY geared, Ammo boxes, smersh backpack + vest, the lot. The same thing again and I just died in the camo building in the very northern abandoned military base. No gunshot, just blackscreen.

3: Somebody lightly knocked my truck with their truck, both died.

4: This was a firefight, fair enough.

5: Fully geared, killed by a hacker in Cherno, explosions everywhere, before landmines. Wasn't near a gas station. Admin confirmed over global channel that it was a hacker.

6: someone shot me, fair enough

7: Well geared, one shot by a zombie, was wearing a helmet and was healthy, zombie comes up to me and hits me in the head and I die immediately, then did the same to my friend.  

If you look on the reviews on Dayz's steam page, about 14/15 say not recommend and talk about bugs.

Things like a new loot economy is cool, but IMHO most people really just want the game to be enjoyable, and not have their experience constantly disrupted by bugs.

What does everybody else think about the next few updates solely focusing on bugs? I think it's Space Engineers one of my other favourite games (or maybe it's prison architect I'm thinking of) that will do a couple updates with new content, then do a couple for bugs, and so on.

• Like 1

As the saying goes, don't put the cart before the horse. The loot system is a core mechanism of the game. Zombie AI is a core mechanism of the game. Someone dies in an unexpected way that isn't repeatable? Not a priority. People can want the game to be enjoyable all they want, but that's the view of a player. If I were a developer, my concern would be getting the core systems working properly, then trying to get rid of minor annoyances.

Early access is not meant for polish. If the game isn't enjoyable with the current idiosyncracies, then stop playing it. By all means, fix anything game-breaking, but getting OHKO'd by a zed once in awhile isn't game-breaking.

• Like 8

You got attached to your gear. im sorry for your loss.

it happens dude.

Cases of atachalootaitis are common around here, but with the games unfinished and buggy state it is hard to keep a geared character for over a month.

Edited by DURRHUNTER
  • Like 2

As the saying goes, don't put the cart before the horse. The loot system is a core mechanism of the game. Zombie AI is a core mechanism of the game. Someone dies in an unexpected way that isn't repeatable? Not a priority. People can want the game to be enjoyable all they want, but that's the view of a player. If I were a developer, my concern would be getting the core systems working properly, then trying to get rid of minor annoyances.

Early access is not meant for polish. If the game isn't enjoyable with the current idiosyncracies, then stop playing it. By all means, fix anything game-breaking, but getting OHKO'd by a zed once in awhile isn't game-breaking.

Deaths 1,2,3 and 5 are all repeatable (deaths 1 and 2 must be repeatable because it happened twice) 7 is also repeatable (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224149-zombie-keep-one-shooting-my-ass/)

Dying more from bugs than players/diseases/whatever is what I would call pretty close to game breaking for many people. Saying "someone dies" implies that I've just died once and come here to vent, these are issues being experienced by many, many people.

If I were a developer, I would read the countless steam reviews asking for bug fixes, from a business standpoint, a company should aim to keep their consumers happy, otherwise they're going to lose sales. Yeah, sure, it's in early access, but many testers have lost faith that these bugs are going to be fixed, and are telling people to steer clear of the game.

Edited by Pandachow

Some 'testers' may have lost faith. But that is just because of their ignorance to the development process of a video game. Core features come before most bug fixes.

'Game Breaking' problems are things like server/client crashes, the inability to launch the game, etc. 'Unrepeatable deaths' are deaths with no clear trigger and therefore cannot be faithfully reproduced.

I would suggest reading the latest status report on DayZ.com. Hicks explained things very well in that post.Good luck survivor.

• Like 1

If I were a developer, I would read the countless steam reviews asking for bug fixes, from a business standpoint, a company should aim to keep their consumers happy, otherwise they're going to lose sales. Yeah, sure, it's in early access, but many testers have lost faith that these bugs are going to be fixed, and are telling people to steer clear of the game.

From a business standpoint, their priority is to deliver a captivating, immersive game experience, which means adding a lot of stuff that is built from scratch, and as a result, may be bugged. Not jumping whenever someone snaps their fingers and says "Fix this little thing that annoys me, now." This isn't a finished game, fixing anything except actual game-breaking bugs is simply not a priority, nor should it be.

Also, these testers that go around telling people the game is doomed are just talking out of their ass, and are likely part of the greater group of fucktards who think DayZ is a murder simulator with some zombies added into it. Their opinions are entirely irrelevant. 

• Like 2

Some 'testers' may have lost faith. But that is just because of their ignorance to the development process of a video game. Core features come before most bug fixes.

'Game Breaking' problems are things like server/client crashes, the inability to launch the game, etc. 'Unrepeatable deaths' are deaths with no clear trigger and therefore cannot be faithfully reproduced.

I would suggest reading the latest status report on DayZ.com. Hicks explained things very well in that post.Good luck survivor.

I've read the latest status report, and I at least respect that they've reverted the loot system back again while they work on it.

My opinion is that if they want people to test the game, they've got to make the experience not frustrating, because people wont do it, people will (and have) become sick of bugs and the company has lost it's testers. And even those that stay playing, like myself are hindered in testing by the bugs, I can't test vehicles if I keep being killed by bugs before I find any..

From a business standpoint, their priority is to deliver a captivating, immersive game experience, which means adding a lot of stuff that is built from scratch, and as a result, may be bugged. Not jumping whenever someone snaps their fingers and says "Fix this little thing that annoys me, now." This isn't a finished game, fixing anything except actual game-breaking bugs is simply not a priority, nor should it be.

Also, these testers that go around telling people the game is doomed are just talking out of their ass, and are likely part of the greater group of fucktards who think DayZ is a murder simulator with some zombies added into it. Their opinions are entirely irrelevant. 

It's not like I'm talking out tiny details like jumping fences, I'm talking about numerous full on deaths, being experienced by many people.

Any "fucktards" or not, their opinion is still relevant, if people have supported development by buying the game they should at least have their opinion heard. Honestly, check the steam page, all those reviews are going to be scaring off potential testers.

I think the game has got to an acceptable stage for the devs to stop creating new stuff and put an end the the majority of bugs in the game. I've gone back to vanilla dayZ mod because of the hackers and bugs in standalone. They should release a massive update for .56 (new towns, new items, new weapons, new zombies) and then have .57 as a huge bug fix update.

I've read the latest status report, and I at least respect that they've reverted the loot system back again while they work on it.

My opinion is that if they want people to test the game, they've got to make the experience not frustrating, because people wont do it, people will (and have) become sick of bugs and the company has lost it's testers. And even those that stay playing, like myself are hindered in testing by the bugs, I can't test vehicles if I keep being killed by bugs before I find any..

That's a flawed viewpoint. Game testing as a paid job is INCREDIBLY frustrating work, because your main purpose is finding out the problems with the game. Just because we paid for the privilege of testing DayZ does not mean the devs must cater to our needs. If anything, we need to cater to theirs.

To use your example as an... example (heh), the fact that you seemingly cannot reach a vehicle because you get killed all the time by bugs is also testing. Report your troubles, respawn, and have another go.  

• Like 1

Use the bug-tracker and report your bugs there. Be detailed.

Then be a developer and remember these words. See how it works out. Not trying to come off mean and nasty. Also Steam reviews should not be their main focus. The bug tracker is/should be.

With ~3 million plus sales already, even if they lost 99% of the people who already bought the game, they would still have 30,000 people that would be still testing the game. You can lose faith in the development of this game but there are others who won't. Have faith in the numbers. Take a break.  :)

And what use is reporting the bugs if they simply won't fix them? I'm not saying the devs must cater to our needs, but if they listen to people asking for bug fixes and deliver it's going to please the customers and a happy player base will only be beneficial to the company.

I don't see why it would hurt do just push upcoming features back a bit, and just have the next update or two making a dent in the growing pile of infuriating bugs it this game

It's not like I'm talking out tiny details like jumping fences, I'm talking about numerous full on deaths, being experienced by many people.

Any "fucktards" or not, their opinion is still relevant, if people have supported development by buying the game they should at least have their opinion heard. Honestly, check the steam page, all those reviews are going to be scaring off potential testers.

Again, wrong viewpoint. Yes, we paid money to get access to the alpha. But we are not consumers buying a game. We are simply paying for the privilege of getting to play a little part in the game's development. Those warnings before you buy the game are there for a reason. Most of those Steam reviews are jokes anyway, so much so that I dare say that joke-reviewing DayZ has become a meme. 

I think the game has got to an acceptable stage for the devs to stop creating new stuff and put an end the the majority of bugs in the game. I've gone back to vanilla dayZ mod because of the hackers and bugs in standalone. They should release a massive update for .56 (new towns, new items, new weapons, new zombies) and then have .57 as a huge bug fix update.

Sorry Sammy, but I'm going to use you as an example here of why opinions are not necessarily valid. You've got the wrong ideas about how game development works, and what the intention of the developers is. Widespread bug fixing is simply not a part of any game's alpha stage, and the devs certainly do not need to alter their entire development cycle to do things that are not even in the spirit of the game. 

• Like 2

Use the bug-tracker and report your bugs there. Be detailed.

Then be a developer and remember these words. See how it works out. Not trying to come off mean and nasty. Also Steam reviews should not be their main focus. The bug tracker is/should be.

With ~3 million plus sales already, even if they lost 99% of the people who already bought the game, they would still have 30,000 people that would be still testing the game. You can lose faith in the development of this game but there are others who won't. Have faith in the numbers. Take a break.  :)

Prison architect have done this and they're doing well.  

Ridiculous statement, people will play the game how they want murder simulator or not everyone who buy's this early access game is allowed an opinion.

• Like 1

Again, wrong viewpoint. Yes, we paid money to get access to the alpha. But we are not consumers buying a game. We are simply paying for the privilege of getting to play a little part in the game's development. Those warnings before you buy the game are there for a reason. Most of those Steam reviews are jokes anyway, so much so that I dare say that joke-reviewing DayZ has become a meme. 

Sorry Sammy, but I'm going to use you as an example here of why opinions are not necessarily valid. You've got the wrong ideas about how game development works, and what the intention of the developers is. Widespread bug fixing is simply not a part of any game's alpha stage, and the devs certainly do not need to alter their entire development cycle to do things that are not even in the spirit of the game. 

I disagree, if we have purchased something from the company, we are consumers. The reason those warning are there is so that people know what they're paying for and to not go crazy and demand refunds, and to ask the testers to report bugs that they find, but they're not getting fixed! We've payed to be part of the development process, but if the devs wont fix anything that the community is reporting, what influence do we have?

What those warning messages are not there for is to invalidate anyone trying to give constructive criticism, and politely asking for the bug fixes that it was implied we would get.

Read those reviews, the first page has dozens of reviews from genuinely angry/disappointed people who can't play the game because it's to buggy.

Edited by Pandachow

Okay, I was friendly at first, now a little less so.

BUG FIXING IS NOT PART OF THE ALPHA STAGE. BUG FIXING IS RESERVED FOR THE BETA STAGE.

Or more concise:

ALPHA IS FOR ADDING, BETA IS FOR FIXING.

These people you quote, barring a few exceptions, have no idea what they're talking about. For starters, since I started playing in 0.44, there has been a massive amount of problems found and fixed. And if you pay after accepting that the game at this stage is full of problems, then no, you really don't have any right to get uppity at the devs because the game is full of problems. That's like paying to get into an R&B night club, bitching about the R&B music, and then giving the place a shit review on Yelp because the deejay didn't listen to you when you clamored for some trance music.

Edited by Sacha

There are many bugs that don't make sense to even address as various systems are being written or re-worked. Unfortunately that's what an Alpha really is - it's playable, but nowhere near complete yet. Hang in there, and report and/or vote up bugs in the feedback tracker - anyone participating in an early access alpha should consider this a responsibility.

Ridiculous statement, people will play the game how they want murder simulator or not everyone who buy's this early access game is allowed an opinion.

That is very much true. Freedom of speech and all that. But that in itself does not make your opinions any more or any less valid.

And when you're wrong, you're wrong, simple as that. 

But you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man...

• Like 2

BUG FIXING IS NOT PART OF THE ALPHA STAGE. BUG FIXING IS RESERVED FOR THE BETA STAGE.

Or more concise:

ALPHA IS FOR ADDING, BETA IS FOR FIXING.

These people you quote, barring a few exceptions, have no idea what they're talking about. For starters, since I started playing in 0.44, there has been a massive amount of problems found and fixed. And if you pay after accepting that the game at this stage is full of problems, then no, you really don't have any right to get uppity at the devs because the game is full of problems. That's like paying to get into an R&B night club, bitching about the R&B music, and then giving the place a shit review on Yelp because the deejay didn't listen to you when you clamored for some trance music.

That's not fair and you know it, I don't understand why some people can't have a disagreement with someone without become annoyed and unreasonable, it's a difference of opinion we're having dude, chill.

You're the one getting "uppity", I started this thread politely suggesting that bugs could be focused on, I'm not the one giving bad reviews, I started this thread with the words "I love this game, it's one of my favourite games", I'm not bitching I'm trying to give constructive criticism.  

Alpha is primarily for adding content yes, but they can bug fix too, You said bug fixing isn't for beta and then right under it you say that I should stop whining because they've been fixing bugs in beta?

If you're saying a should stop playing the game because I don't find it enjoyable (which I mostly do) then maybe you should stop coming on this thread if you're unable to  be reasonable.

Edited by Pandachow

That is very much true. Freedom of speech and all that. But that in itself does not make your opinions any more or any less valid.

And when you're wrong, you're wrong, simple as that. 

But you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man...

IMO opinions are always valid, the statements can be misguided, but that doesn't mean that person should be denied the right to have an opinion.

hahahah, amazing

IMO opinions are always valid, the statements can be misguided, but that doesn't mean that person should be denied the right to have an opinion.

Nor should the developers be denied the right to ignore opinions based on misconception and ignorance, nor I denied the right to point out why they are misconceived. And if I get annoyed when people don't get it after two or three times and still insist they're right, well, that's not me being unreasonable.

And on a side note, the notion that 'all opinions are valid' is just... mouth-frothingly aggravating. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Edited by Sacha

Nor should the developers be denied the right to ignore opinions based on misconception and ignorance, nor I denied the right to point out why they are misconceived. And if I get annoyed when people don't get it after two or three times and still insist they're right, well, that's not me being unreasonable.

And on a side note, the notion that 'all opinions are valid' is just... mouth-frothingly aggravating. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

You just went into an all caps rage, and clearly contradicted your own argument within the same post, (read my last post on page 1) you then made outrages statements against me just for having my own opinion. If that's not unreasonable, what is?

You just went into an all caps rage, and clearly contradicted your own argument within the same post, (read my last post on page 1) you then made outrages statements against me just for having my own opinion. If that's not unreasonable, what is?

Again with the misconceptions. I did not use all caps because I was yelling furiously, but to make the words stand out, so you would read them. Everything I wrote in caps is exactly why we are having this discussion about misconceived opinions. You ask for something that is simply not a priority, then you keep insisting that it should be a priority, when it most definitely should not be. Your entire argument is based on misconception. In short, you're wrong.